Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2013 8:17:00 AM EDT
So, I bought my first real modification to my DPMS Oracle because I wanted the option to add rails at a decent cost. So I bought the MOE Handguard and had a few questions. On the website it says that rails can be placed at 2, 6, mad 10. But appears to have install points at 12 3 and 9 as well. Can they be installed there? Would this eliminate the need to have gas Block height back up sights?

Thanks for the responses in advance.  Still new to this and have received great info here so far.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I probably wouldn't put a back up sight on the handguards themselves. You can mount the MOE rails on any slot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, I bought my first real modification to my DPMS Oracle because I wanted the option to add rails at a decent cost. So I bought the MOE Handguard and had a few questions. On the website it says that rails can be placed at 2, 6, mad 10. But appears to have install points at 12 3 and 9 as well. Can they be installed there? Would this eliminate the need to have gas Block height back up sights?

Thanks for the responses in advance.  Still new to this and have received great info here so far.

On mine, the rails only fit like the website says at 2, 6 and 10 o'clock, and not on top at 12 o'clock. I'm guessing maybe what you're calling 3 and 9 is what they're calling 2 and 10 though.

Link Posted: 1/26/2013 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

stopped reading at, "DPMS"
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appreciate the input!
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 4:52:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I probably wouldn't put a back up sight on the handguards themselves. You can mount the MOE rails on any slot.

+1 on this.   Since you're new (not trying to talk down to you) the reason for this is the the MOE handguard will actually move slightly as you use the rifle and the rifle's zero will likely shift as you use it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, thanks for the response. Just wasn't sure and figured this was the place to ask. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you want to mount on your handguard?  Impact Weapons Components makes some nice mounts specifically for MOE handguards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I want a light and possibly a grip and a tripod. I'm a somewhat new shooter, and having problems sighting the red dot by hand. I would like to know if it's off or not and figured the tripod might be the best way to do that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I want a light and possibly a grip and a tripod. I'm a somewhat new shooter, and having problems sighting the red dot by hand. I would like to know if it's off or not and figured the tripod might be the best way to do that.

Skip the bipod on the Oracle.  It's like putting a gigantic wing on your Civic.  Bipods are generally for precision-oriented rigs, not entry-level blasters like the Oracle.  Not dissing your Oracle, just saying it's not the best host for a bipod.  Plus, quality bipods can get pricey.  

Some kind of rest, or bags, would work fine for sighting in.  Even a range bag can be a field expedient rest.  A lead sled or Rock Jr. with a rear bag are good investments if you plan on doing load development, or sighting in multiple rifles.  

Also, if your red dot is a bottom of the barrel model, you may never get it zeroed.  You don't need an Aimpoint, but a $40 airsoft knock-off is a no go for a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have the same gun as you(as well as a much better ar) if you want a bipod do it man, have some fun with the gun., when you get an optic buy once/cry once, I have an eotech on my dpms and love it.

Oh and a small warning, on AR15.com you can run in to lots of gearqueers. dont mind them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What do you want to mount on your handguard?  Impact Weapons Components makes some nice mounts specifically for MOE handguards.

Thanks for the heads up on those guys, really nice stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes.....this comment is very useful for the OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top