Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just curious how many of those flaming the polymer lowers carry a Glock, XD, H&K ect. as a sidearm?

].

nothing to do w/ the fact its 'polymer'; there are good, quality made polymers (liek Glock, xds, HKs, etc) and shitty ones (like ones posted in this review)P

like there is shitty alumunium and quliaiyt made aluminum used in quality made ARs. made in china shit pot metal knock offs POS products sold in wally world doesnt compare to simliar devices of better qualiyt sold elsewhere; same w polymer in guns
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious how many of those flaming the polymer lowers carry a Glock, XD, H&K ect. as a sidearm?

].

nothing to do w/ the fact its 'polymer'; there are good, quality made polymers (liek Glock, xds, HKs, etc) and shitty ones (like ones posted in this review)P

like there is shitty alumunium and quliaiyt made aluminum used in quality made ARs. made in china shit pot metal knock offs POS products sold in wally world doesnt compare to simliar devices of better qualiyt sold elsewhere; same w polymer in guns

To add to what's already said, the design of a product also relates to it's durability.  Polymer framed pistols are designed from the ground up around the strengths and weaknesses of the polymer used.  If you look at a Cav Arms lower or the SCAR lowers, they are not exact copies of an Ar lower.  Areas of weakness (thin material around rear takedown pin)  have either been redesigned or omitted respectively.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Update: Got the Lower back from ATI. Following is a direct quote, "All ATIGLOW100's have that hole in the mag well. It is a mark from the mold. The hole has no affect on the function of the lower."

ALSO upon further inspection, noticed a hole a little smaller than a BB to the same cavity, but from the well for the trigger/hammer. So basically you can put a piece of wire straight through the mag-well, through the mag-release hole, and into the trigger/hammer area.
Yeah, I'd LOVE to get a bunch of dirt in them. I'm sure it would not "affect the function on the lower."

I understand that dirt can get into these places in other ways, but creating more avenues for malfunction is a bad idea, especially if it already has the deck stacked against it, as polymers do.

So pretty much ATI gets a no go from me.

Update:
Hole from Trigger/Hammer side
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4993071/AR15/SAM_0086.JPG

View through mag-release lever hole.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4993071/AR15/SAM_0093.JPG

Hole again from mag-well.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4993071/AR15/SAM_0087.JPG

While I was at it I got a better view of the frayed threads.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4993071/AR15/SAM_0096.JPG
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to review these two. I'm not particularly crazy about the polymer lowers (and no, it's not for the same reasons that Glock went through). I've transfered numerous New Frontier poly lowers, and just don't like the way they feel at all. I'm an active duty Marine full time, and a firearm dealer (Cook's Calibers, LLC) part-time. The polys are new to me, but I've been seeing a lot of them due to the lack of availability of the aluminums. I've noticed with the NFA lowers that a lot of "flash" remains on their lowers around the edges. Apparently the QA for these are going out the window somewhat as they are trying to provide more quantity vice quality. I wouldn't mind a polymer lower if they took the time to be professional with them. If they would put forth the same effort as Glock or Ruger, then that would be great! However, the finishes on NFA (and apparently ATI Omni) are comparable to a public park child's slide, and aside from wiping arses, I'm not sure I'd use these lowers for much more. Overall, a little more effort and attention to detail, and I think these companies might be onto something. Oh, and NFA's logo is horrible. I was thinking that maybe I could just Cerakote over these to make them look halfway decent, but you can't hide that huge friggen sales banner on the side. Pick a kickass company logo, or shrink the "advertisement". And that's my two cents.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 3:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 3 NFA lowers, and happy with them so far, but your are 100% on with that large logo of theirs - it has got to go.

Quoted:
Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to review these two. I'm not particularly crazy about the polymer lowers (and no, it's not for the same reasons that Glock went through). I've transfered numerous New Frontier poly lowers, and just don't like the way they feel at all. I'm an active duty Marine full time, and a firearm dealer (Cook's Calibers, LLC) part-time. The polys are new to me, but I've been seeing a lot of them due to the lack of availability of the aluminums. I've noticed with the NFA lowers that a lot of "flash" remains on their lowers around the edges. Apparently the QA for these are going out the window somewhat as they are trying to provide more quantity vice quality. I wouldn't mind a polymer lower if they took the time to be professional with them. If they would put forth the same effort as Glock or Ruger, then that would be great! However, the finishes on NFA (and apparently ATI Omni) are comparable to a public park child's slide, and aside from wiping arses, I'm not sure I'd use these lowers for much more. Overall, a little more effort and attention to detail, and I think these companies might be onto something. Oh, and NFA's logo is horrible. I was thinking that maybe I could just Cerakote over these to make them look halfway decent, but you can't hide that huge friggen sales banner on the side. Pick a kickass company logo, or shrink the "advertisement". And that's my two cents.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up one of the stripped ATI lowers when they were $39 with free Shipping last October. Have any of you guys put one together yet? For that price I figured I would get one and worry about it later on.

Small piece of paper included in the box states:

Attention!  Receiver threads are manufactured to military specifications. Use of non mil-spec buffer tubes or stocks may cause severe damage to your OMNI receiver.

I test fitted a mil-spec buffer tube i purchased from BRAVO Company last week, and the tube is very loose until the castle nut is tightened. Not too sure about that. Any suggestions or has anybody else ran into that issue yet ?
Either the threads are not right or the tube I got (was advertised as mil-spec) is not right.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#7]
are the threads on the nfa lower mil spec or commercial?
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I put one on recently and it was no problem using Magpul MOE milspec tube.  Undid the factory (NFA) buffer tube and put on the new one.  Worked fine  Don't remember it being excessively lose.

Quoted:
I picked up one of the stripped ATI lowers when they were $39 with free Shipping last October. Have any of you guys put one together yet? For that price I figured I would get one and worry about it later on.

Small piece of paper included in the box states:

Attention!  Receiver threads are manufactured to military specifications. Use of non mil-spec buffer tubes or stocks may cause severe damage to your OMNI receiver.

I test fitted a mil-spec buffer tube i purchased from BRAVO Company last week, and the tube is very loose until the castle nut is tightened. Not too sure about that. Any suggestions or has anybody else ran into that issue yet ?
Either the threads are not right or the tube I got (was advertised as mil-spec) is not right.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it's $110 plus shipping and a $20-30 transfer fee, we'll call it $150 total plus wait time to take possession. I can locally buy a complete DPMS lower with my choice of stock for $214 including tax, and it's actually a 7075 forged aluminum receiver. On top that, lots of guys are swapping out their plastic fire control groups which adds another $40-50 plus shipping, or $70-80 to just grab a LPK locally. Why on God's green earth would anyone want the plastic crap? Cheaper, not really. More durable, hell no. Better track record, LOL, not even close. They are a little lighter, but at the expense of quality material.

Wow getting burned eh? Nfa complete lower shipped 105 to ffl.Transfer fee $10.Thats comes out to 115.You could probably shop around and get better deals than that

Not everyone is that lucky on their transfer fee.  Mine is $20-$25 depending on the dealer's mood that day.

I know they are lighter but I just have no desire to own one.

OP: If $15 is a huge difference to some then how can that same person even afford to shoot the thing?  Back in the day shooting and guns was a cheap(ish) hobby but that is not the case today.  The AR15 in particular has never been a cheap gun to buy or to shoot though.  If cheap is a requirement then money is better spent on an AK.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Personally I prefer the aluminum lowers, but I built the wife's gun on a polymer lower and cannot find any issues with it. It is her only ar and she shoots it about as much as I shoot all of mine together, no problems have surfaced from it in the approximately 4 years she has owned it. I am planning on trying a few of the NFAs to see how they do.

A rifle is a rifle and a handgun is a handgun.

My Dad told me stories of using M16's as makeshift little bridges that they used to walk across while in the service shortly after the M16 was transitioned to.  I don't think that the NFA or any polymer lower could take that stress at the front pivot pin point or the buffer tube threads (if they have them and aren't a complete assembly like the CavArms) but I could be wrong.  Rifles get abused WAY more than handguns on a daily basis.

In 20 years after I see a polymer lower that is still in service (like a Glock) and has been abused I may come around but until then I am set in my ways
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally I prefer the aluminum lowers, but I built the wife's gun on a polymer lower and cannot find any issues with it. It is her only ar and she shoots it about as much as I shoot all of mine together, no problems have surfaced from it in the approximately 4 years she has owned it. I am planning on trying a few of the NFAs to see how they do.

A rifle is a rifle and a handgun is a handgun.

My Dad told me stories of using M16's as makeshift little bridges that they used to walk across while in the service shortly after the M16 was transitioned to.  I don't think that the NFA or any polymer lower could take that stress at the front pivot pin point or the buffer tube threads (if they have them and aren't a complete assembly like the CavArms) but I could be wrong.  Rifles get abused WAY more than handguns on a daily basis.

In 20 years after I see a polymer lower that is still in service (like a Glock) and has been abused I may come around but until then I am set in my ways

NFA has a torture test posted on YouTube which shows someone standing on a lower to get into a pickup truck bed.  They also throw it a long distance and there are no problems.  I can't decide if this is worth trying for $80 for a 22LR build or just pass and wait for a forged one.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top