Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2012 2:16:26 PM EDT
So I removed my "carbine" buffer tube and want to install this new "rifle" tube.  On the thread end of my buffer tube, there isnt a slot down the threads like there is for the carbine tube.   So when I try to install it with the plate piece between the tube and lower receiver, it messes up the threads.  

Am I suppose to use something else?
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
usually when you put on an a2 buffer tube you dont use the receiver end plate because the a2 stock holds the spring and detent in for the rear takedown pin
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
usually when you put on an a2 buffer tube you dont use the receiver end plate because the a2 stock holds the spring and detent in for the rear takedown pin

Oh really....

Well I plan on putting on a PRS stock when I get it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh really....

Eddie has it right.
That plate is part of the carbine stock assembly.
Looks like the PRS is built like A1/A2 at the receiver extension area.
PRS kit

Here you can see how the A2 stock eliminates the end plate and how the PRS resembles it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh really....

The carbine extension and rifle extension are fairly different from each other.  As others have said, the back plate is not used for a rifle extension because the rifle stock fills that roll.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
the prs stock is nice you will like it quite a bit...i had one for a while but changed the gun from a longer range heavy gun to a more light weight set up with a sopmod stock
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The PRS will hold it in.  Look into tapping it and using a set screw to hold it in.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The PRS will hold it in.  Look into tapping it and using a set screw to hold it in.  

MAHA

Why??  Absolutely not necessary to do what you suggest.  An A2 or PRS stock will retain the buffer tube on its own without installing some kind of setscrew jerry-rig.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAHA

Why??  Absolutely not necessary to do what you suggest.  An A2 or PRS stock will retain the buffer tube on its own without installing some kind of setscrew jerry-rig.

I think he means the rear takedown detent spring. That way you don't have to fiddle with it all the time.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

I think he means the rear takedown detent spring. That way you don't have to fiddle with it all the time.

how many times do people swap stocks and buffer tubes around?
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top