Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2012 5:59:58 AM EDT
If I get a midlength upper with a yhm lo-pro gas block, what kind of handguard do i need to cover the block? I want to run open sights on the rail.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The yankee hill rifle length diamond series is on sale a few places...  for $120  and the end caps are around 20
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
A 10" ff handguard will cover all but the last 1/4" of a midlength gas block (using my VTLOR lpgb as a guide)
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]
So between 10-12 inches, and does it have to be free float? I'm mainly not sure about how it attaches.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends on which/who's hand guard you buy as to how it fits/installs.

Some replace the standard barrel nut and others you need to remove the Delta spring pack so you can clamp the hand guard to the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Which one is better or easier or more common? Point me in the right direction. I'm thinking about trying to find a used rail on EE to keep cost low, so what am I going to find easily?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So between 10-12 inches, and does it have to be free float? I'm mainly not sure about how it attaches.

It needs to be a free floated rail if you want the gas block covered. Non-free float rails need a handgaurd cap behind the gas block to retain them, so they can't really extend over the block.

I would recommend a 10 or 12" Troy MRF. They use the factory barrel nut, and if you don't mind cutting off the delta ring, you can install it without removing the barrel nut at all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok so I'm looking for a free float. Are there any popular options out there among brands that aren't quite as high end like YHM, MI, DD etc.?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok so I'm looking for a free float. Are there any popular options out there among brands that aren't quite as high end like YHM, MI, DD etc.?

Well, YHM and MI aren't really high end......they're in the middle as far as "quad rails" go.

You could go with a simple free float tube for less cash. Hogue, YHM, DPMS etc makes them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It needs to be a free floated rail if you want the gas block covered. Non-free float rails need a handgaurd cap behind the gas block to retain them, so they can't really extend over the block.

You could use drop in handguards that have extended rails on the sides and bottom, though it might look a bit odd because those are made for barrels with FSB's and you would have an opening at the top.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which one is better or easier or more common? Point me in the right direction. I'm thinking about trying to find a used rail on EE to keep cost low, so what am I going to find easily?

The clamp onto barrel is probably the easiest to install....just cut off the Delta spring pack and bolt it up.  Troy would be my choice.

Troy MRF-MX 10"

or

Troy MRF-R 12"
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an 11 inch Troy TRX Battle rail on my weapon.  It covers the midlength gas block completely.  You will have to change to the barrel nut that comes with the rail.  

David
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Or get the Troy Alpha in 11" flavor.. and it uses the factory barrel nut.

They are phasing out the Extremes..
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like those Troys and 11 inch seems like the perfect length, but I don't know if a new one will make it on this build. Any chance you could pick up a used one for about half that price?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 3:58:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top