Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2012 6:14:54 PM EDT
Before I start an ARCHIVES war here, I looked.  I'm in need of a new carbine barrel and was wondering how BCM barrels compare?  I just ordered a BCM BCG based on MANY recommendations.  But how are their barrels compared to DD?  The DD CHF was the one I had my eye on originally.

Just FYI, I'm toying between 14.5" and 16" LW or M4.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Great barrels.  I own a 16" hammer forged Midlength barrel.  Love the hell out of it.  I'm going to order their 11.5" as soon as I get my tax stamp back...

I would say its a toss up between this or my friends DD barrel. Whichever you can get at the better price and in stock is the one you should go with.  1 in 7 twist and MP/HPT in 1159 steel with chrome lining. All you can ask for.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You mention it's HF, but I can't find any info regarding HF on BCM's website.  Guess that's why I originally asked the question.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
BCM lists Standard barrels and BFH barrels

The BFH are their Hammer forged.
I dont know why they chose "BFH" (Barrel, Forged, Hammer)

Both options are excellent.
The hammer forged is not needed in my opinion, but if the extra $70 is not an issue I would get it.

The DD CHF barrel is cheaper than the BCM BFH barrel, but BCM offers the standard barrel for less then the DD

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The hammer forged is not needed in my opinion, but if the extra $70 is not an issue I would get it.

I don't get that, being that it is hammer forged, it should be cheaper...

Bill
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The DD CHF barrel is cheaper than the BCM BFH barrel, but BCM offers the standard barrel for less then the DD

the way I take it, they call them BFH is because they are insinuating Barrel is so hard it forges the hammers? sorta braggin? dunno.. weird to me also
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
So what are the STANDARD BCM barrels?  DD claims HF barrels are more accurate and last longer.  Is this just marketing or is there creedance to this claim???  I'm still up in the air...

Plus, BCM states their barrels are chrome lined - chamber and barrel.  DD barels just state chrome lined...
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So what are the STANDARD BCM barrels?  DD claims HF barrels are more accurate and last longer.  Is this just marketing or is there creedance to this claim???  I'm still up in the air...

Plus, BCM states their barrels are chrome lined - chamber and barrel.  DD barels just state chrome lined...

SOmeone will be in to post a link to a great read on CHF bbls.. seems to be an art that is very expensive to start up..

only 8 people in the world do ALL hammer forging for ruger.. wish i had the link
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I've read the threads.  They state CHF barrels are cheaper to make, but the machines are real expensive - thus the extra cost.  I'm more concerned with performance and longevity...
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think I've read the threads.  They state CHF barrels are cheaper to make, but the machines are real expensive - thus the extra cost.  I'm more concerned with performance and longevity...

They should last longer, the reason hammer forging was invented was to make barrels cheaper and faster, period.

WWII, the Germans.

ETA: If it's new and sounds cool, charge more money?

Bill
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
BCM 14.5" Standard M4 barrel -]Do not offer
DD 14.5" CHF M4 barrel -$275 ($256 on other sites)

BCM 16" Standard M4 barrel -$229
DD 16" CHF M4 barrel - $275 ($256 on other sites)

So, if I wanted a 14.5" setup then I only have one choice, DD.  If I go 16" then I can go either way, but DD is CHF.  These are for STRIPPED barrels as I'll be adding the other components.  

I'm leaning towards 16" as I don't need to pin the FH.  But I like the 14.5" length and don't mind pinning the FH after the DD Lite 7.0  and LPGB is installed.  I know that makes it a dedicated upper for the most part, but this isi a rifle I plan on having for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The hammer forged barrels may last longer and be more durable, but 99% of us will never see that benefit.
Are they more accurate? maybe some, maybe not.

The DD and BCM are both chrome lined bore and chamber.

The BCM Hammer forged is rumored to be made by FN, DD makes their own.

Do a google search on Hammer forged barrels to get more info than youll ever need.

Again, it wont make a noticeable difference, but many people like the piece of mind that it is more durable.
Accuracy may be better, but it will be hard to tell.

The military doesnt use hammer forged barrels for the M4 or M16, they take more abuse from full auto and burst than any semi-auto will.
Google BCM "Filthy 14", it was a standard BCM barrel and lasted more rounds than most will ever shoot.

So my take is that they may be a little better, but most will never realize the potential.
You need to decide if its worth the extra money
My First build used a standard BCM barrel. I am up in the air about my next build, it will probably come down to whats in stock when im ready to buy, but I would like to try one of BCM's hammer forged.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
BCM 14.5" Standard M4 barrel - Do not offer
DD 14.5" CHF M4 barrel - $275{/b] ($256 on other sites)

BCM 16" Standard M4 barrel - $229
DD 16" CHF M4 barrel - [b]$275
($256 on other sites)

So, if I wanted a 14.5" setup then I only have one choice, DD.  If I go 16" then I can go either way, but DD is CHF.  These are for STRIPPED barrels as I'll be adding the other components.  

I'm leaning towards 16" as I don't need to pin the FH.  But I like the 14.5" length and don't mind pinning the FH after the DD Lite 7.0  and LPGB is installed.  I know that makes it a dedicated upper for the most part, but this isi a rifle I plan on having for a long time.

Why do you want the M4 Profile?
BCM has 14.5" standard Light Weight profile. Standard Mid-length (gov profile) and hammer forged lightweight and gov profile mid-length's

Im not trying to talk you into or out of anything, both are great choices, just making sure your seeing all thats available
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Can't use Middys as I already have a DD Lite 7.0 rail.  I also like the extra beef and look of the M4 over a LW barrel.  Just personal preference I guess...
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, it's not on their website.  The only 14.5" M4 barrel they offer now is a DD CHF.  All of the BCM barrels are middys, with the exception of the LW carbine.  Unless I'm missing something...
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, it's not on their website.  The only 14.5" M4 barrel they offer now is a DD CHF.  All of the BCM barrels are middys, with the exception of the LW carbine.  Unless I'm missing something...

You're right. They no longer list their 14.5" standard carbine barrel by itself. It's only offered with the upper and A2 sight post installed.  You may be able to call them and see if you can get just the barrel.

But, even as a proud BCM barrel owner, there ain't nothing wrong with the DD barrels.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Somewhat related, but does anyone know how long before the BCM Upper 16" Standard LW Middy with VTAC TRX rail system will be back in stock? Anyone have any experience/knowledge of how long they typically go between batches?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-16-Mid-Length-Group-s/27.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=27&show=100&page=1
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#18]
http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotBarrelMakingFeature.htm

Hammer Forging

Again, it was the demands of war that was responsible for the development of this process - only it was done by the other side. Hammer forging was developed in Germany in 1939. Here a drilled barrel, rather than being reamed, is honed to give it a very fine interior finish. Then it is placed on a tungsten carbide mandrel that has the entire rifling pattern ground in relief into its surface. The barrel/mandrel combo is then placed between two opposing power hammers and rotated. The hammers literally beat the barrel into the mandrel’s pattern. I’m told a barrel will actually grow around a third of its length during this process. It usually takes around three minutes for the rifling process to be completed. As you would think, this method produces tremendous stresses in the barrel that have to be relieved through heat treating.

The advantages of hammer forging is the fact that the interior finish is very good, and the bore surface becomes work hardened in the beating process. The result is a very durable, long lasting barrel. Modern hammer forging has progressed to the point that even the chamber can be included in the mandrel pattern. These machines are very large, complex, and expensive however. So the small custom barrel shops are pretty much eliminated from using them.

Additionally, some say that the induced stresses are so severe in this process that they never can be entirely eliminated. As a result, the bench rest crowd won’t touch a hammer forged barrel. However, I can’t help but wonder how valid this belief actually is, and whether anyone has actually tried it. Remington barrels, which always had a reputation for accuracy, used to be hammer forged, including those used in the XP-100. I know I always had excellent results with original XP barrels. Indeed, in Europe, hammer forging is the standard. Sako, Tika, H&K, Steyer, and Sauer all use hammer forged barrels. I’d hardly call their products junk.

Or, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=barrel+hammer+forging
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOmeone will be in to post a link to a great read on CHF bbls.. seems to be an art that is very expensive to start up..

only 8 people in the world do ALL hammer forging for ruger.. wish i had the link

So Ruger Mini-14 Brls are hammer forged?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Ruger Mini-14 Brls are hammer forged?

Yes, the new ones are. Recently American Rifleman tested their new Mini in 6.8 SPC.
It was moa accurate.

ETA: Their 10/22 target barrels, at one point, had the exterior spirals from the hammer forging left on the outside, looked kinda cool.

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top