Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2011 12:39:25 PM EDT
I am amassing a pile of grips like my discsarded holster pile!!

I have the Magpul MIAD on my LWRC and it is pretty good but I wish they made it with steeper angle. I bought the HK V2 ($$!!!) and I like it okay, but wish it came in flat dark earth. I bought the CAA grip-looks cool, but it feels too slick in my hand.  I bought the ERGO grip and used it for awhile but the rubber kind of got chingered up.

I haven't tried the Stark or the Tango Down yet. Can anyone comment on those or any other one that is the latest greatest that I might be missing?

One thing I do like about the MIAD is the texture. Makes the rifle feel secure in my hand even when I'm sweating. Wish they made this in a steeper angle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
As you can attest to already, "best" is highly subjective. Which grip, of the ones you've tried so far, is you favorite and what about it don't you like that has you looking for something else?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Try the Magpul MOE-K if you like the steeper angle. It's only $19.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
What size glove would you normally wear?  If you wear a large or bigger you might look into the Tacstar made by Pachmayr.

It is rubberized similar to the ERGO but the rubber itself is a smoother texture and made firmer.  I personally use the ERGO but a friend just recently installed the Tacstar and I may be a convert.  The grip itself is "hand-filling" and it has a steeper angle than normal.  I wouldn't call it pretty, but the more I play with it the more I seem to like it.  The allen head bolt it comes with however is kinda of dumb.  I reused my standard grip screw instead.  YMMV.

TacStar
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Its going to be about preference and hand size. You just gotta try them all and find out which one you like best. A1, A2, Tapco, Ergo, CAA, MIAD, MOE+, MOE, MOE-K, Strike Ind, Stark, TROY, Tangodown, etc etc..
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Recently switched to ergo, and glad I did.   Much better grip, angle, and trigger reach than usgi a2 or the various magpul grips
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I am pretty partial to the hogue ar grip.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1

We used to carry them in the family gun shop and I think I'm just stuck on them.  I do have an MOE+ on one rifle I outfitted with foliage green furniture...it feels pretty good too, but I still like the finger grips on the Hogue.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any latest and greatest.

In regards to which one I like best so far, I would have to say the MIAD because of the customability and the texture. I just wish it had a steeper angle so it didn't tweak my wrist so hard when running the stock collapsed.  I know this probabably isn't tacticool, but about the only time I wear gloves is if I am going to be running my AK hard.

I do like the V2 alot too. The angle is excellent but the bump in the front of the grip seems a bit unnatural feeling to me and I know this is being picky but I wish it came in FDE. It also doesn't have grip storage.

Here is a link for those who haven't seen it...

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-416-MR556-HK-417-Battle-Grip-Variant-2-134p1912.htm
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently switched to the Stark grip. I like it a lot since it seems to position my hand better in relation to the trigger. Works great with my SD-E
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Troy Battle Ax CQB Grip. It just works for big and little hands. It is on my wife's AR.
I have the Hogue on my AR10 and that's the perfect grip for the larger frame AR's. I found it to have the best control for the heavy rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I have tried about everything of any merit and keep going back to the Magpul MOE grip.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Which one? The overmolded one? Because a search reveals they have an aluminum grip? Is this right?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything but the Tango Down grips

For whatever reason I really like their US Palm AK grip, but the AR grips just don't work for me.

The modular CAA grip is probably the most underrated.  I have a MOE Plus on one AR and it will probably become my #2.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Now, you did it!.....

Why do folks have to ask, what others think might feel right to Me?

The Spring line up is just starting.  I think you should wait to see what's in fashion
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now, you did it!.....

Why do folks have to ask, what others think might feel right to Me?

The Spring line up is just starting.  I think you should wait to see what's in fashion

I have tried quite a few. Just wanted to make sure I haven't missed any options. I understand the principle of personal preference.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the A1, MOE, MOE+, MOE-K, Ergo. It really depends on what you like. The Troy looks like it may have less of an angle like the MOE-K does.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#17]
My two favorites

Hogue overmolded with finger swells for larger rifles(18-20")
Stark se-1 for carbines(10.5-14.5")
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#18]
By steeper angle I think you mean one that is closer to 90 degrees? If so the Stark grip would be an option.
If I'm interpreting this wrong, than try the Tango Down 17.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
By steeper angle I think you mean one that is closer to 90 degrees?

Yes, you are correct. When you collapse down an AR stock, an angle closer to 90 tweaks on your wrist less.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1 for the hogue as well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Hogue on mine
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been dealing with the exact same issue as yourself, liking the texture and storage compartment of the MIAD, but the angle (and the finger bump when using the enlarged triggerguard frontstrap) bothering me.

I tried the Troy battleaxe CQB grip for a little while, which is slightly straighter, but it was also too small and too slippery. It's small size was especially problematic to try to use a BAD lever with due to excessive finger reach. My example also would not install without some fitting due to the grip screw hole not lining up, but that was probably just a fluke/my shitty luck.

I also REALLY hated the duckbill-thing on the front; I think it's to cover up the infamous "gap", but it also limits how high my fingers can sit on the front of the grip, which forces my hand into a more extreme angle, negating the advantage of the grip being straighter than most. It also interfered with trying to use this grip with a Magpul MOE triggerguard, which itself fills "the gap" and had to be filed back some to fit. As if all that that wasn't enough to hate that duckbill thing, the round/pointier shape, (as opposed to the flat surface created by the MOE triggerguard) really dug into my middle finger and was extremely uncomfortable.

I really wanted to like that grip, but even having removed the thing on the front, the bottom line was, at least for me, it was just too small, and too slippery.

I have since replaced it with a Magpul MOE+ rubberized grip, which despite having the same angle as the MIAD I had before, seems to fatigue my hand a lot less, and is big enough for my long, spidery hands so that I don't have excessive trigger reach, and can also manipulate the BAD lever easier.

Finding the my ideal grip seems to be a never ending search, but for now I've settled on the MOE+, and it's my favorite so far, despite the angle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#23]
ergo
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Hogue.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a fan of ERGO and Tango Down.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm a huge fan of the Stark grip.  Not only does it lessen the angle of your wrist when running the stock collapsed, but it spaces your hand down a bit so that your trigger finger is in a strait line to the trigger instead of angled downwards.  Just an overall more natural feeling grip for me despite it's overall fugly looks.  What the hell, function over form right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top