Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2011 7:07:37 PM EDT
Siince I have a 14.5 inch barrel with a Yankee Hill FS, I ordered a MI Gen II two piece ff tube so I wouldn't have to remove the FH and have to reinstall and weld it. I took the ff tube out of the package and read the directions. I noticed that it does not call for removing the hand guard cap. I kind of think it is cheesy to leave an unused part, and also think that it looks kind of funny. I also think it might look a bit strange with the gap that will be left if I remove the handguard cap. How many of you left it and how many removed it? Now I am thinking I should have gotten the Centurion Arms one but I received this one from Midway and have already destroyed the packaging to get the directions out.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at that same hand guard.  I actually like the way the cap fills some of the void at the end of the rail, almost making it look like a standard handguard.  That is one of the things I liked about YHM, they have a screw in cap to fill the void.  I think it is just personal preference.  I love the centurions also but I am looking at them for a different build, different animals and a huge price gap.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a carbine 14.5 and a 14.5 midlength. On my carbine I have a centurion arms and on my midlength I have the MI Gen II free float rail. Since I can't  take off my Fh, I pushed out the pins on my FSB and cut the handguard cap off . No point in leaving it in. it looks alot sleeker as well
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You are cutting the delta ring off, so you might as well cut the cap off too since it's now useless.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses guys!

OK. Got the MI FF quad rail mounted. I left the handguard cap on. There was going to be too big of a gap to remove it. The hg cap was round, so it doesn't really look bad. Overall, I am pleased with MI two piece FF quad rail. It seems to be rock solid and the overall appearance is good. Installation was a snap and only took a few minutes. I would rather it be a bit longer to cover where the HG cap is instead of leaving the cap on, but I figure they did it this way to make the installation easier. I feel that if you are competent enough to dremel off the delta ring, spring, and lock ring, then you  should be competent enough to knock out three pins and clip off the hg cap, but I digress. I'll give the Midwest Industries, AR15 Gen2 Free Float Mid-Length Handguard #MCTAR-21G2 a thumbs up.

Perhaps, if I get some time, I will post some before and after pics.

Thanks again,

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I cut the cap off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top