Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My Plum Crazy lower on my first and only AR15 failed on me today.

I had been having problems with failure to feed from the get go. I began thinking this was a buffer spring issue. Today I go to shoot, and again after the third round a failure to feed. I drop the magazine, clear the round, reload and again failure to feed. Only this time the bolt drives the round so tight into the chamber it won't free. I take it aside and the range officer and I take the upper off. While he looks at the upper, I notice that the buffer retainer is sticking up at an angle and the buffer is pushing it that way. The polymer around the buffer retainer is broken and just holding on. This is after less than one hundred rounds total through the weapon. Of course this happens on a Saturday afternoon, so when I call all I get is an automated message.

I so wanted to get my first AR and I thought that PCF might be the way to go as it was less expensive. Now I wish I had just got an AK or an SKS.

A quality lower would have been a better choice.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I had been having problems with failure to feed from the get go. I began thinking this was a buffer spring issue. Today I go to shoot, and again after the third round a failure to feed. I drop the magazine, clear the round, reload and again failure to feed. Only this time the bolt drives the round so tight into the chamber it won't free. I take it aside and the range officer and I take the upper off. While he looks at the upper, I notice that the buffer retainer is sticking up at an angle and the buffer is pushing it that way. The polymer around the buffer retainer is broken and just holding on. This is after less than one hundred rounds total through the weapon. Of course this happens on a Saturday afternoon, so when I call all I get is an automated message.

I so wanted to get my first AR and I thought that PCF might be the way to go as it was less expensive. Now I wish I had just got an AK or an SKS.

Leave a message with your number an a brief description on what happened. that's what I did in a matter of 3 days i got it my lower shipped out . Just waiting on my returned lower. I put about 500 to 600 rounds through mine. The fit is tight with my upper. but I will continue to use it especially if it has a lifetime warranty lol...
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
So far, I have heard nothing from PCF. I have already bought one of the PSA stripped lowers for $50. Worst case, I will take the stock et al. from the PCF lower and get a lower parts kit, put the lower together and sell the thing. Should be able to break about even if I am lucky.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Plum Crazy isn't a bad way to break into the AR world, I think. I just wouldnt hold it on a pedestal or expect it to save your life, or even last for very long.

My advice is take advantage of their lifetime warrantee, then make your next purchase a quality, stripped lower. AIM surpls usually has spikes fairly cheap, and there are tons of other great deals out there, too. Keep your PC lower to start a future build.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leave a message with your number an a brief description on what happened. that's what I did in a matter of 3 days i got it my lower shipped out . Just waiting on my returned lower. I put about 500 to 600 rounds through mine. The fit is tight with my upper. but I will continue to use it especially if it has a lifetime warranty lol...

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I heard back from PCF on Monday, promising an e-mail shipping label after I emailed the problem to them. Then a terse "we'll send you a shipping label on Thursday" on Wednesday. Now it is Friday and STILL no shipping label. I am irritated. How hard is it to send an email?

Hoping that the PSA stripped lower comes in soon. If I get the PSA lower before PCF acts, I'll get a cheap LPK and stock removal tool, take what parts off the PCF that are useful (the stock), and either sell the rifle at the next gunshow in a private sale or keep it with the PCF spring parts as spares.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Plum Crazy isn't a bad way to break into the AR world, I think. I just wouldnt hold it on a pedestal or expect it to save your life, or even last for very long.
I would think about this again.
Why would someone just starting out want a lower that has proven to be unreliable? When one purchases their first AR they want to shoot not send it off for warrant replacement. I fail to see the fun in that.

Because of the deals that can be found on forged lowers I see no point in anyone buying one of these, let alone someone who's breaking in to the AR world.

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally, got the shipping label. We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Finally, got the shipping label. We'll see what happens.

Good luck brother-please keep us posted

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently inspected a Plum Crazy lower at a local fun show, and thought to myself "what a cheap piece of crap". I recommend you get a real lower receiver for serious shooting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I would make PCF stand behind their product.  If they don't respond, send them links to these threads.  The internet is an evil thing when businesses don't do the right thing.  If I were the company prez, I would pay your shipping back, and I would send you a new one.  I would then send it to the R&D (if they have one) department and see what is up.

I agree.  It seems like there should be some type of steel backing plate type of thing in there.  However, this makes weight, and then you would have to start thinking about why you are doing this.  Lowers have worked great for years.  I'm not against technolgy, but I want PROVEN technology.  I don't want to possibly ruin other pieces and parts to test a new theory.  This is why big businesses have an R&D department and test their equipment prior to sending it to the street.  

I guess the company should be happy that you didn't injure yourself with this little episode.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Glocks, H&K,...,...have all had some form of polymer lower.  This is nothing new.  It does sound like this was not a sufficient design, and it looks like they should have done a lot more R&D prior to this hitting the street.  They should be thankful that you didn't injure yourself or destroy components.  I hope they stand by their product, and I hope they do some research on your issue.  I love seeing new technology succeed.  However, this looks like a FAIL.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would think about this again.
Why would someone just starting out want a lower that has proven to be unreliable? When one purchases their first AR they want to shoot not send it off for warrant replacement. I fail to see the fun in that.

Because of the deals that can be found on forged lowers I see no point in anyone buying one of these, let alone someone who's breaking in to the AR world.

+1

Yeah, starting out with a key component with a proven track record of unreliability is a poor choice for a 'new' shooter.  Keeping the activity fun, enjoyable, and successful is key to keeping a new shooter interested in the sport.

If you give someone a bad experience, like a lower breaking after less than 100 or so rounds, that will more than likely turn them off to shooting, or to the AR platform.

Nowadays, the forged aluminum lower is pretty economical for most people.  AIM, besides having the great deal on Spikes lowers, also sells Aero Precision lowers for about $69.   Being a forged aluminum lower, I'd say that is a better choice for a first timer than the PCF.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]
They (being PCF) just got the lower yesterday. The only reason I found that out was that I pestered them on how long to expect a new lower.

Fortunately, I have a new AR15, an Olympic Arms. Unfortunately, I need to adjust the new AR's stock buffer tube out some (the guy who sold it to me put a new stock on it, but didn't do a test fit before shipping it, and the lower won't fit onto the upper).
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Olympic?  why?  what did you pay for that?
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Why, what's wrong with the Olympic? Actually, as far a a purchase goes, it was in trade for a sword I had.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#16]
google is your friend on this one.  You can also search the Archives and read all about them.

Dude, please spend the $300ish dollars and buy a reputable lower.  I've gone down this similar route, a lot here have too......you'll actually save money in the long run by buying right the first time.  I'm not saying go out and buy a $500 Colt lower, but go buy a LMT, DD, BCM, RRA, Spikes, etc.  There's a 98% chance you won't be having the problems you're having.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 3:26:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Why, what's wrong with the Olympic? Actually, as far a a purchase goes, it was in trade for a sword I had.

You trollin..

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You trollin..

Okay, first off, I am not trolling. I honestly wanted an answer from the guy as to what the problem was. I haven't been an owner of any AR15 for very long, since March in fact. So far, I have not been all too pleased with the experience of being an AR15 owner.

Secondly, all I have gotten from members here has been biting criticism of my choices of AR15 manufacturer and now an accusation that I am attempting to troll. So far, I have not been all too pleased with the experience of being an AR15.com member.

Finally, I did some research last night on the Olympic Arms AR15, searching out various reviews on different websites (not this one), and aside from a few who complained about some problems with the rifles produced around the time the assault weapon ban went into effect, most people said their experience with the rifle was positive (their customer service experience was a different story). Oddly, one person who commented on one such review of the Olympic Arms AR15 that I read in my research said that "nobody at AR15.com has anything nice to say about Olympic Arms."

Frankly, I just want to be quit of the whole thing: being an AR15 owner AND dealing with the non-helpful attitude I have received here at this website from people such as yourself.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't go getting all hurt guy.....this is hardly mean criticism from anyone.  There are other sites that would laugh you out of the room, especially after that last post.  Oly sucks, there's no way around it.  Peoples Oly's that run are and have always been in the minority.  There is a reason they got the reputation they did.  Go to a couple other well known websites and you will get the same info on them.....it's not "just AR15.com".

Also, customer service is half of the game.  Everyone lets something slip through the QC process that normally wouldn't  Any reputable manufacturer will back their product with little to no qualms.  Olympic Arms ain't one of those.

Many people here have been in your position.  They're speaking from experience on the shortcutting thought process.  More often than not, they (including myself!) eventually see the light after a couple bad experiences.

You would be much more pleased with the AR platform if you would suck it up and put just a little bit more money into it.  Most of the time, you get what you pay for.  No one is telling you to go out and drop 2k on a Knights Armament rifle.  You can get a very good AR for $1000ish.  If you're patient and with a little bit of luck, you can get it for hundreds under that.

If you want to pack up your ball and go home, whatever floats your boat.  You won't be the first and you won't be the last.  I suggest you stick around and learn what you can though.  There are some very knowledgeable people on these sites and they can/will help you if you have the right attitude.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay. It just seems that every attempt to move forward gets criticized. Most of the people, I know who have shot the AR15 dislike it, ranging from "it sucks" to some things I can't repeat here. I am just tired of the "two pronged assault."

I have an order with PSA from their Father's Day sale for a stripped lower, but no idea when it will ship. I figure I can use that to build something more "acceptable."

At least I got the email saying the replacement PCF lower was on its way.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most of the people, I know who have shot the AR15 dislike it, ranging from "it sucks" to some things I can't repeat here"
I have an order with PSA from their Father's Day sale for a stripped lower, but no idea when it will ship. I figure I can use that to build something more "acceptable."
At least I got the email saying the replacement PCF lower was on its way.

Lol, the AR is one of the most, if not the most, popular semiautomatic rifle in the US....you need new people to shoot with.  Your PSA lower will be fine.  Use
A) good, quality parts
B) a knowledgeable person to build it

and you should have no problems.  Sell the PCF and get quality parts or make it a dedicated .22.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Leave a message with your number an a brief description on what happened. that's what I did in a matter of 3 days i got it my lower shipped out . Just waiting on my returned lower. I put about 500 to 600 rounds through mine. The fit is tight with my upper. but I will continue to use it especially if it has a lifetime warranty lol...[/quote]

A lifetime warranty does not mean anything once the company goes bankrupt or out of business.  Or like cav arms stops making the product.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#23]
yea same here. I was gonna build a cheap varmint rifle with a PC lower , but now would be concerned for my own saftey. It seems like the varmints might retaliate against a AR with a PC lower. hehe
I <3 sun devil
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thats why I dont like Plastic guns.

<––––25555

I think ACR, MP5 lowers, SCAR lowers, FN 2000, etc are plastics.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#25]
theyve sold thousands of these PCF lowers, and 1-2 failed....im know there have been catastrophic failures of ar lowers  long before PCF existed
whos to say this wasnt "about" to be a catastrophic explosive failure, and the PCF held together
heres a new Bushmaster ACR that went boom.. ACR KABOOM guess dont buy a Bushmaster cuz they suck eh ?
heres a S&W MP15 KABOOM guess that means S&W sux as well, dont buy those as well eh ??
also saw an YHM Upper that went kaboom, ill try and find those pics as well, so dont buy YHM cuz they suck also eh ???
all of you saying PCF blows are just jumping on a hate bandwagon and havent a clue !!! PERIOD
i went and test-drove a brand new Chevy truck back in 99', and during the drive the motor blew, doesnt mean Chevy sucks even though I did end up buying a F250 after that   .. im just sayin sometimes you get a bad one
this is my brothers (Army Ranger) PCF lower.  he put about 700rnds through my Spikes 5.45 upper on that lower until he got his Adams 5.45 upper. he says hes put about 2200rounds of corrosive  through the lower and his Adams since then.. and the PCF lower inside/out looks brand new, the hammer shows almost 0 wear on it
the one thing we noticed about the PCF lower when he got it was the buffertubes castlenut was not staked
personally, id trust one.. but ive got a Spikes so wont need too    

brothers PCF lower next to my brand-new Spikes lower, almost 3000rnds have been through the PCF at the time this pic was taken.. it really is that clean

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
sorry to hear of this ! but i seen PC lower the other day ,it had what looks like the rear pin area inside was medal ''both sides of the pin area and 90* to the pin '' maybe be an up=date ??? if lower had a sub-frame of s/s steel with polymer coat would be great .....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top