Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 10:18:17 PM EDT
I am looking in to picking up one of the Clark carbon fiber handguards but am a little hesitant to pick one up because I am not sure I like the idea of not being able to take the tube off easily for the times I want to wipe the barrel down. Is there a good way around this or am I just being overly concerned? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:02:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking in to picking up one of the Clark carbon fiber handguards but am a little hesitant to pick one up because I am not sure I like the idea of not being able to take the tube off easily for the times I want to wipe the barrel down. Is there a good way around this or am I just being overly concerned? Thanks.

Yes. No need to wipe barrel down, I haven't done that in years with my ARs, all have FF tube and some are PITA to remove, like the Clark's tube (and I have 2 of them.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I am also curious as to how difficult it would be to mount a rail on the tube to put a front sight on. Any insights?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been considering a Clark CF FF tube as well.

Once it is on, it can be supposedly be removed using a strap wrench.  You could reattach it with the strap wrench, but it may not index to the same spot.

As for drilling it, I've heard carbon fiber can present some safety hazards when cutting or drilling it.  Look into that before you break out the power tools.  

Carbon Feather is a new offering for CF handguards.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Once it is on, it can be supposedly be removed using a strap wrench.  You could reattach it with the strap wrench, but it may not index to the same spot.

As for drilling it, I've heard carbon fiber can present some safety hazards when cutting or drilling it.  Look into that before you break out the power tools.  

Strap Wrench?  No.  I don't think so.  I have two AR's with Clark tubes.  Strap wrenches suck for removing the tubes.

I made a jig with MDF to remove the tube.  Cut a four inch square piece of MDF.  Use a 2" holesaw to make a hole.  

Cut the four inch square in two pieces.

Remove the gas tube and gas block.

You clamp the jig/tube in a vise where the barrel nut is.  Then turn the receiver to separate from the tube.  

Easy and repeatable.

The Clark tubes have performed well.  They are light and stiff.  Shaving weight allows for adding weight elsewhere, like the barrel.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They're being misleading about their handguards being 50% lighter than the Clark.  They claim their's weighs 4.1 ounces, but that's without the barrel nut.  The Clark weighs 6 ounces with the barrel nut.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Strap Wrench?  No.  I don't think so.  I have two AR's with Clark tubes.  Strap wrenches suck for removing the tubes.

I'm just going off of what Renee from Clark said for installation, hence my use of the word "supposedly".  They even have pics of it on their website.

Cool tip on the jig.  I'll remember that if I do get a Clark.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top