Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2011 11:09:37 AM EDT
Search has not been my friend and so i must ask for your advice. What is the best quality AR-15 Lower Parts Kit available ?
I'm not looking for the best price but the best Quality in terms of materials/workmanship or are they all pretty much equal ?

I'm wanting to buy a LPK or two as replacement parts, just in case something breaks.  Yes i know i most likely won't need it but i'm one of those guys that likes to have alot of spare parts. It's like insurance, you don't need it but you spend money on it anyway.
Thanks in advance for any and all info.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#1]
DPMS...

Sorry.  I have 2 CMT kits in my guns.  I have a few thousand rounds on one with no issues.  I like them.  I just put a Giessele SSA-E in one of them though.  WOW is the best way to describe it.

Jk
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Stag
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
here is a recent thread that includes a few other links to other threads.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=524726

short version - they are all pretty good... and problems are just about random and usually subjective.  So flip a coin.

I will say that the Spikes Enhanced LPK is a good value for the money... i.e. if you bought all of the parts individually they would cost more.  I love the battle trigger, and the ambi controls are nice... sell off the KNS pins in the EE as they are pointless really... this gets some of the money back in your pocket.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Search has not been my friend and so i must ask for your advice. What is the best quality AR-15 Lower Parts Kit available ?
I'm not looking for the best price but the best Quality in terms of materials/workmanship or are they all pretty much equal ?

I'm wanting to buy a LPK or two as replacement parts, just in case something breaks.  Yes i know i most likely won't need it but i'm one of those guys that likes to have alot of spare parts. It's like insurance, you don't need it but you spend money on it anyway.
Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Here you go...
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, i really appreciate the help. I looked at the Colt LPK's but wasn't sure if the parts were Superior or if i'd just be paying for the name.
I should add that i really don't need the FCG because i have a Geissele SSA FCG and plan on buying another as a spare but i want the rest of the LPK for spares.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put in a Palmetto State MOE kit in an AR pistol.  Went in a Spikes lower.  Probably the easiest I have ever put in, and the smoothest trigger out of 13 AR's.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have noticed some differences  in LPK, really came down to how easily they were to install all still function %100. I prefer RRA or Armalite but have had no problems out of DPMS, Stag, CMMG, Doublestar, Superior Arms, and a few from smaller dealers at the guns hows.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, i really appreciate the help. I looked at the Colt LPK's but wasn't sure if the parts were Superior or if i'd just be paying for the name.
I should add that i really don't need the FCG because i have a Geissele SSA FCG and plan on buying another as a spare but i want the rest of the LPK for spares.

In my personal opinion and long experience the key word in a good quality LPK is Mil-Spec, because the manufacturer that made the parts makes them to a standard which is good enough for extreme use of the military.

The opposite are the commercial manufacturers that doesn't follow the mil-spec manufacturing procedures to save cost, like softer steel material, weaker heat treatment, accepts more variations in machining dimensions, etc.

I've only used a small sample of three LPK which are Colt, RRA, and Stag all are functionally fine but I notice the Colt had better looking machining surfaces, also Colt sells kits without FCG parts (see Specialized Armament Warehouse, Brownells, and official Colt dealers).

I'm a long time Colt AR owner for forty years now, I had six former rifles and carbines and currently have three and had no problems at all, on my high use couple of rifles that had 12 to 15K mileage I only have to change all the springs all the machined parts are still pretty good.

Other good mil-spec quality LPK are Daniel Defense, Spikes Tactical, and LMT.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my personal opinion and long experience the key word in a good quality LPK is Mil-Spec, because the manufacturer that made the parts makes them to a standard which is good enough for extreme use of the military.

The opposite are the commercial manufacturers that doesn't follow the mil-spec manufacturing procedures to save cost, like softer steel material, weaker heat treatment, accepts more variations in machining dimensions, etc.

I've only used a small sample of three LPK which are Colt, RRA, and Stag all are functionally fine but I notice the Colt had better looking machining surfaces, also Colt sells kits without FCG parts (see Specialized Armament Warehouse, Brownells, and official Colt dealers).

I'm a long time Colt AR owner for forty years now, I had six former rifles and carbines and currently have three and had no problems at all, on my high use couple of rifles that had 12 to 15K mileage I only have to change all the springs all the machined parts are still pretty good.

Thanks, i really appreciate you taking the time to share this information, it's what i was looking for. I forgot to mention that i was looking for spare parts that meet or exceed the Mil-Spec for my BCM 16" Mid-Length Carbine.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the g&r Tactical ones, cause I don't use A2 pistol grips, and these kits don't come with them. This way I don't have tons of A2 grips cluttering up the place. The quality of the parts is great. It's a mixmaster parts kit. The selector is from LMT, hammers from here, trigger from there. Very nice overall.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#11]
i just posted in one of the other forums about LPK's, this is my opinion, Daniel Defense, Stag/CMT, J&T, Rock River are the best and in that order, i have assmebled a ton of lowers and used almost all other LPK's from a wide variety of companies. the ones i posted have had the best triggers as far as smooth and crisp trigger pulls, in spec small parts and spiral lock roll pins that go in without being "hammered" in. everyone has their favorites and the fan boys will be along to rave about "so and so being the best". i have been bitten by Spikes, M&A, Model1, CMMG, Blackthorne, Anvil Arms, DPMS, to name a few. again this is only my opinion and from what i have seen first hand, and yes the Blackthorne was the worst "rifle kit" i ever assembled for a friend. i was told Daniel Defense will discontinue their LPK's to the public VERY soon, the stripped lowers are already drying up, this was the word from a Daniel Defense autherized dealer, here in town. good luck in the LPK adventure
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

was that the Spike enhanced the regular Spikes LPK i got was a bag of garbage, it seemed like rebagged DPMS, but that is only speculation. i have used several other DPMS LPK's for buddies and they all had horrible, gritty, heavy triggers, out of spec small parts, or missing small part(which in all fairness was made right with one phone call) and huge c/split roll pins. who sells LMT LPK's, the LMT rifle i have , has an awesome stock trigger, i would gladly buy LMT LPK's
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i was told Daniel Defense will discontinue their LPK's to the public VERY soon, the stripped lowers are already drying up, this was the word from a Daniel Defense autherized dealer, here in town. good luck in the LPK adventure

Did they give a reason why they will discontinue their LPK's to the public ?  I hope they're not going to turn into one of those companies that only sell to police & military because they think us lowly citizens don't need anything but fudd guns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Brownells carries a colt small parts kit which is basically the LPK minus fire control group & safety selector
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26508/avs|Manufacturer_1=COLT/Product/AR_15_RIFLE_ACCESSORIES_KIT

If you think about it, it isn't a bad deal compared to buying a full LPK and throwing out the fcg, etc and replacing them with other parts (since you already have a giessele)

Add a B.A.D. ambi safety, and pistol grip of your choice and you have a full LPK.  I would also replace the trigger guard with a winter style guard of your choice - magpul, spikes tactical, wilson combat, rainier, phase 5, etc.

Anything other than that is up to you, ambi mag release, bolt release, etc.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i was told Daniel Defense will discontinue their LPK's to the public VERY soon, the stripped lowers are already drying up, this was the word from a Daniel Defense autherized dealer, here in town. good luck in the LPK adventure

Did they give a reason why they will discontinue their LPK's to the public ?  I hope they're not going to turn into one of those companies that only sell to police & military because they think us lowly citizens don't need anything but fudd guns.

the gunstore owner i talked with is a reptuable guy, class three and always has great toys,tools,accesseries in stock. he was saying that Daniel Defense can't keep up with their sales. the are very civie friendly still. he went on to say other companies have also reached out to them to manufactor "small part" of them, aparently DD quality has paid off, they can't keep up with current demand, is what the DD rep. was telling my buddy. also said they are considering expanding but wanted to see how the political climate was going to fair out. i can see DD's point of view, i'm glad i bought the 2 DD stripped lowers that i did, i'll probably buy several LPK's for my stockpile. maybe they will change their minds and keep pumping out LPK's, lower, etc..., as a side note, i do understand most people are skeptical of gunstore owners and what they say, so far as long as i've known the guy, he's been honest, i'd be shocked if this was untrue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top