Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2011 2:48:25 AM EDT
Anyone that might watch "Shooting USA" has probably seen the Italian made Bergara barrel (Shilen technology,) episode in which a barrel swap on a DPMS MK12 results in sub moa. I also see that Bergara has finally added the drop-in AR15 barrels to their website. It is the guarantee that I find amusing:

http://www.bergarabarrels.com/bergarabarrels/drop-in-barrels/ar-15-rifle-barrels.html

Kind of like "Your new wife is guaranteed to be better than your last wife!"

Other than that, an observation that given the present marketplace a 1 in 9 M4 barrel seems behind the times (I do have 1x9's that do shoot well,) but I do not see this as currently popular, and the 1 x 7 for a CMP barrel seems bassackwards.

Anyone besides TV hosts ever experience these barrels first hand?
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 3:17:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody must like them cause they're sold out. Odd descriptions though, rifling = "no", etc.

Item # .......Caliber....Length/Taper........Material/Finish................. Rifling Twist .................Price ...............Buy Online
BC0018___223_____ No No______4140 Chrome Moly Matte Blue____ 1:9" Righthand___ $249.95____ Out of stock  
BC0019___.223_____ 20" No_____416 Stainless Steel Bead Blasted __ No____________ $349.95____Out of stock  
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
who said you have to do a barrel swap to make a DPMS MK12 sub MOA?
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
who said you have to do a barrel swap to make a DPMS MK12 sub MOA?

No one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Bergara barrels are made in Spain, not Italy. I dont have any experience with their AR15 barrels but I do with their Encore barrels. I wasnt to impressed with them, and from what I gathered a lot of other Encore owners didnt think they are to great either. I saw that episode of Shooting USA, the guy did the swap way to easy. The barrel nut just came right off without any effort (at least it looked that way), he didnt use any grease, torque the barrel nut, or anything. I dont believe anything those shows try to sell you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I dont believe anything those shows try to sell you.

They do tend to be one great big commercial.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bergara barrels are made in Spain, not Italy. I dont have any experience with their AR15 barrels but I do with their Encore barrels. I wasnt to impressed with them, and from what I gathered a lot of other Encore owners didnt think they are to great either. I saw that episode of Shooting USA, the guy did the swap way to easy. The barrel nut just came right off without any effort (at least it looked that way), he didnt use any grease, torque the barrel nut, or anything. I dont believe anything those shows try to sell you.

Agreed, that is why I thought I might find some personal feedback here. The TV shows are funny (since it is always obvious they have prepared for every difficulty way before the camera starts rolling.) The shows are one long commercial since the manufacturing sponsors are paying for the air time, and I have yet to see any show exclaim "What a POS!"

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
We apologize for the mis-que on the descriptions. Tech guy non-shooter tried to do it by himself., they are correct on the site now These barrels are extras from a OEM project we did, customer speced the shape and twist. As far as accuracy they are shooters. Guys at Sniper Company, SAS, PWS, Odin Guns, Specialized tactical, Black Rain Ordanance and several other larger gun manufactureres have tested them and can speak to the accuracy and quality.

Not a fair comparison to put AR and Encore barrels together. ARs are very leggo interchangable. Encore deminsions are so extreme/eradic that most of the issues with a Bergara barrel on them can be fixed with larger locking lugs (something TC has been doing on thier own barrels for 20+ years)

The Scouttens do good TV for the masses. What makes good TV does not replace a armorer"s course or tech manual, but it is a start.

Try not to Hate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#8]
No hatred here, and personally I take all advice with a grain of salt.

I will say that the fact Bergara didn't have AR15 barrels on the website for a month (or more,) after the Shooting USA showed, and only offering 1X9, descriptions somewhat confusing, sent me to White Oak for my last barrel.

Hopefully you will produce more offerings in the future, and marketing will get their timing right as the company seriously missed a big opportunity to follow up on that ad time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 3:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not a fair comparison to put AR and Encore barrels together. ARs are very leggo interchangable. Encore deminsions are so extreme/eradic that most of the issues with a Bergara barrel on them can be fixed with larger locking lugs (something TC has been doing on thier own barrels for 20+ years)

The Scouttens do good TV for the masses. What makes good TV does not replace a armorer"s course or tech manual, but it is a start.

Try not to Hate.

It doesnt seem that T/C has much trouble producing barrels that interchange for the encore and are accurate. There is no hate here, just stating what I have learned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top