Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 64 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ2A:
Just ordered my first LMT rifle, a "NZ-16", on Friday and I'm excited to put some rounds down range

I'll be sure to post photos asap!
View Quote
That's awesome. Congrats dude. I'm really excited for you. Getting an LMT is always a great feeling. "Because Failure Is No An Option." Love that slogan.

Just so I can say I contributed pictures to this thread, here are my two LMT setups currently. They aren't finished but getting close.

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Are there any stripped MARS lowers anywhere in stock? I cant seem to locate one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:38:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tranzformer] [#3]
Originally Posted By Jaysop:
Are there any stripped MARS lowers anywhere in stock? I cant seem to locate one.
View Quote
Here you go.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/lmt/m7sl-mars-l-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver/
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the price went up a little?  And not in stock, so backorder?

I checked with the guy I got mine from, he sold all he had.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea they were $229 for a while. Now they seem OOS everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

I assume Marvin Pitts/Nefarious Arms is the only one to consider for this? If we could do an order like that, yeah I would be very interested. Let's think about it.
View Quote
Yeah, Marvin would be my go-to choice. Bit of a wait list though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By spdrcrgts:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spdrcrgts:

I assume Marvin Pitts/Nefarious Arms is the only one to consider for this? If we could do an order like that, yeah I would be very interested. Let's think about it.
I wonder how much a group order would lower the cost of dimpling. I remember a few years looking at it and it was $300 at that time. I assume it has gone up in price.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#8]
His price varies with the barrel length. Just last week I was quoted $300 for an 11.5" barrel with a 12 week turnaround.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tranzformer: I wonder how much a group order would lower the cost of dimpling. I remember a few years looking at it and it was $300 at that time. I assume it has gone up in price.
View Quote
ADCO will dimple an entire barrel for $215.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:04:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#10]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tranzformer: I wonder how much a group order would lower the cost of dimpling. I remember a few years looking at it and it was $300 at that time. I assume it has gone up in price.
I wonder if that prices includes refinishing the barrel afterward.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think ADCO's pattern is the same, but it may still meet the need.  IIRC it's because of the KAC patent or something.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:32:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#12]
Originally Posted By hammermill290:
I don't think ADCO's pattern is the same, but it may still meet the need.  IIRC it's because of the KAC patent or something.
View Quote
Now that I'm looking at it the pattern is a little different.  I think Marvin Pitts pattern looks better and probably saves marginally more weight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone picked up an LMT suppressor yet?

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:50:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tranzformer] [#14]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
Now that I'm looking at it the pattern is a little different.  I think Marvin Pitts pattern looks better and probably saves marginally more weight.
View All Quotes
Yeah I think so too. His pattern looks very nice. You can tell his dimples are machined much closer together for optimal gains. ADCOMisnt bad, just not as nice as the Nefarious Arms version. Would there be enough interest to do a ARFCOM group deal? Would it even save money? Seems he is backed up with work so not sure. Is there even enough interested.

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:20:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4ger] [#15]
Originally Posted By ThePitt: I wonder if that prices includes refinishing the barrel afterward.
View Quote
They do a re-park on contouring barrels included in the price, and I'd imagine the same for dimpling.

Marvin's pattern versus the ADCO pattern is something I've read about as well.  It looks like ADCO works in a linear pattern across the length of the barrel, where Marvin does a circular pattern.

ETA: I have a fully dimpled 16" SR-15 E3 legacy barrel that Marvin did and it was about 3oz lighter than a non-dimpled legacy barrel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Yeah I think so too. His pattern looks very nice. You can tell his dimples are machined much closer together for optimal gains. ADCOMisnt bad, just not as nice as the Nefarious Arms version. Would there be enough interest to do a ARFCOM group deal? Would it even save money? Seems he is backed up with work so not sure. Is there even enough interested.

https://i.ibb.co/ZVYzHXf/DIMPLED-AND-FLUTED-BARRELS-2.png
View Quote
Once I get my stamp back I'm definitely getting my 16"chopped and dimpled. I'd be in, but not sure if the group buy would be worth it or possible.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:
Has anyone picked up an LMT suppressor yet?

Cheers
View Quote
Interested in hearing any personal experiences as well.

Direct thread correct?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:52:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emtothedee] [#18]
Rifle length mrp vs rifle length mlok. 5.5 oz off the front of the gun

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

https://vgy.me/dzcqX1.jpg

https://vgy.me/Ad05xe.jpg
View Quote
Nice! Thanks for the reference point on the weights.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#20]
They do a re-park on contouring barrels included in the price, and I'd imagine the same for dimpling.

Marvin's pattern versus the ADCO pattern is something I've read about as well.  It looks like ADCO works in a linear pattern across the length of the barrel, where Marvin does a circular pattern.

ETA: I have a fully dimpled 16" SR-15 E3 legacy barrel that Marvin did and it was about 3oz lighter than a non-dimpled legacy barrel.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThePitt: I wonder if that prices includes refinishing the barrel afterward.

Dang $100 / ounce removed.

Dunno if I can justify that one for a bit.  I tend to go through a lot of changes to a gun before I find a setup I like so I will likely wait a bit anyway.  With the exception of optics, my longest standing unchanged AR is a 10.5" MRP.  It was also my first SBR a half dozen years ago or so.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:47:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#21]

View All Quotes

For context, my image is showing 3 barrels all the same final mass but with 3 different reduction methods. Dimpling does look the coolest and increases the surface area the most, but it's also 3X the cost of a re-profile.

ETA: If reducing the mass is what you're after, then re-profile is the best followed by fluting. I also didn't model up the old machine gun fin cuts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Dimpling is gonna havent wait.  I just bought a 13" OG Geissele MK1.  I've spent enough money on gun stuff in the last month.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:42:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MonolithicRP] [#23]
Here are the MRP related weights (ounces) I've recorded in case they're useful to anyone...

LMT LM8 MRP chassis  21.1
LMT MRP CQB chassis 22.90
LMT MRP Rifle chassis  28.40
LMT MLR Rifle chassis 23.10
LMT MRP 16" midlength barrel w/A2 flash hider, gas block, tube 37.70
LMT MRP 16" midlength barrel stripped 32.73
LMT MRP gas block and midlength gas tube 2.82
LMT MRP 10.5" barrel with AAC brakeout, gas block, tube 30.10
LMT MRP 18" midlength SS barrel w/A2 flash hider, gas block, tube 45.50
LMT MRP 16” piston barrel, with gas block and op rod, no muzzle device 39.70
LMT MRP 14.5" midlength barrel, without gas block, tube, muzzle device 30.30
LMT MRP 16" 300blk barrel with gas block and gas tube 33.40
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there anywhere to get MRP rifle length quad rail chassis other than the LMT website?  Was hoping someone had a cheaper price.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BNW:
Is there anywhere to get MRP rifle length quad rail chassis other than the LMT website?  Was hoping someone had a cheaper price.
View Quote
Best place to get them is in the EE.  Just seen one not too long ago but pretty sure it sold.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Thank you for posting that. Decent weight savings right there. Probably helps quite a big with how it handles as it drops the center of gravity down lower. Look forward to getting one soon.

Here are the MRP related weights (ounces) I've recorded in case they're useful to anyone...

LMT LM8 MRP chassis  21.1
LMT MRP CQB chassis 22.90
LMT MRP Rifle chassis  28.40
LMT MLR Rifle chassis 23.10
LMT MRP 16" midlength barrel w/A2 flash hider, gas block, tube 37.70
LMT MRP 16" midlength barrel stripped 32.73
LMT MRP gas block and midlength gas tube 2.82
LMT MRP 10.5" barrel with AAC brakeout, gas block, tube 30.10
LMT MRP 18" midlength SS barrel w/A2 flash hider, gas block, tube 45.50
LMT MRP 16” piston barrel, with gas block and op rod, no muzzle device 39.70
LMT MRP 14.5" midlength barrel, without gas block, tube, muzzle device 30.30
LMT MRP 16" 300blk barrel with gas block and gas tube 33.40
That is very useful. Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#27]
While I wait for my "NZ16" rifle to ship from LMT, here are a few photos I found online of it in use with the NZDF:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice pics.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:
While I wait for my "NZ16" rifle to ship from LMT, here are a few photos I found online of it in use with the NZDF:
...pics...
View Quote
Thanks for sharing, fellow NZ16er! These are some of the best pics I've seen yet.

Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone have a picture of the MLR upper with a 10.5" barrel + suppressor? What's the ID measurement of the MLR rail?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Not sure what the ID of the rail is but the is a zero percent chance of fitting a can inside it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone know the effective length of a rifle length MRP? Meaning: what's the equivalent handguard length of the rifle length chassis? 13" 13.5"?
And are the MRP barrels a true 16" or something weird?
Reason I ask is years ago I bought a suppressor, the AAC SPR/M4, because I thought it would look great with a rifle length MRP
I don't think I was wrong, but I'm wanting to use the flash hiders and suppressor on other setups, but rather than playing it safe and just going with a shorter handguard I'm looking to achieve the same aesthetic that I got with my MRP.
I've had someone measure how much exposed barrel there was on the rifle length MRP (up to the shoulder) and they came up with 2.25", but now i'm curious what handguard+16" bbl will produce this same look.

Seeing as how I don't have any MRPs anymore can someone be so kind as to take some measurements for me?

Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:55:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#34]
Glitch...
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:
Does anyone know the effective length of a rifle length MRP? Meaning: what's the equivalent handguard length of the rifle length chassis? 13" 13.5"?
And are the MRP barrels a true 16" or something weird?
Reason I ask is years ago I bought a suppressor, the AAC SPR/M4, because I thought it would look great with a rifle length MRP
I don't think I was wrong, but I'm wanting to use the flash hiders and suppressor on other setups, but rather than playing it safe and just going with a shorter handguard I'm looking to achieve the same aesthetic that I got with my MRP.
I've had someone measure how much exposed barrel there was on the rifle length MRP (up to the shoulder) and they came up with 2.25", but now i'm curious what handguard+16" bbl will produce this same look.

Seeing as how I don't have any MRPs anymore can someone be so kind as to take some measurements for me?

https://i.imgur.com/iWGmSyw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/37DKPeo.jpg
View Quote
I believe the end of the rail is 13.14" from where the front of the receiver would be.

Minimum barrel length to put the shoulder before the threads flush with the end would be 13.94" (with .625" threads). The SPR-M4 goes 1.875" back over the barrel so you need a 15.81" barrel plus desired gap. If LMT barrels are 16.125", you'll be fine. You'd be good with an AEM5 too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

I believe the end of the rail is 13.14" from where the front of the receiver would be.

Minimum barrel length to put the shoulder before the threads flush with the end would be 13.94" (with .625" threads). The SPR-M4 goes 1.875" back over the barrel so you need a 15.81" barrel plus desired gap. If LMT barrels are 16.125", you'll be fine. You'd be good with an AEM5 too.
View Quote
Thank you for this. I should have included a picture that often makes its way around the internet whenever this suppressor is talked about

I think your measurements make sense with that in mind
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:

Thank you for this. I should have included a picture that often makes its way around the internet whenever this suppressor is talked about
http://crankylabs.com/albums/nfa/sprm4_lengths.sized.jpg

I think your measurements make sense with that in mind
View Quote
Looks like the suppressor goes .125" farther rearward than the mount so you have to add whatever it actually is to the 15.81".
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By m4hk33:
Not sure what the ID of the rail is but the is a zero percent chance of fitting a can inside it.
View Quote
Ok thank you for that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I've been kicking around some ideas regarding mods and what not I'd like to do on some of my MRP uppers, in particular the LM8's.  I put together a tabletop cnc mill a while back and I'm in the learning process, but today I did something pretty simple but useful (to me).  One thing I don't like is the forward locations of the qd sockets, both on the LM8 and mlok uppers...it's wasted room, at least for me.  So I modified a 5 slot rail for my LM8's to fit all the way forward.  It's not a huge amount of extra room but I find every little bit helps on these cqb chassis.  The rail section still uses one indexing hole and two bolts, so it's still secure...good enough for a light.

This little mill can do 3d milling pretty well, even with just a flat end mill.  I also did an mlok finger stop out of delrin a while back and I was amazed at how well it cut compound curves.  Anyway, what I really want to do is some custom G10 rail panels for my LM8's because the LMT ones leave a lot to be desired.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtdam24] [#40]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:16:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MonolithicRP] [#41]
Who else is planning on starting an MWS build with the upcoming barrel and LM8MWS deals?  I'm looking at the 16" CL barrel, and roughing it out a build with MARS-H lower looks possible for a little over $1700, but that's with a cheap BCG.  Not sure it's a good idea to cut cost there, but going with the LMT BCG adds at least $200.

Are the LMT's LR-308 pattern?  If so, I'll probably just grab a Brownells BCG for now.

And, I just realized I had noted the stripped lower for $340 but not where I found it for that.  Looks like that will be $400 if I can find one.  Checking all the usual places.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I just need a lower and charging handle to complete my second.

With that being said, I would really try to avoid going with a non lmt bcg.

Knowing lmt's run hot, the cheapest bcg on the market is probably not the best choice.

Save up a little longer, or maybe sell some old gear and build it the way it was meant to be
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Who else is planning on starting an MWS build with the upcoming barrel and LM8MWS deals?  I'm looking at the 16" CL barrel, and roughing it out a build with MARS-H lower looks possible for a little over $1700, but that's with a cheap BCG.  Not sure it's a good idea to cut cost there, but going with the LMT BCG adds at least $200.

Are the LMT's LR-308 pattern?  If so, I'll probably just grab a Brownells BCG for now.

And, I just realized I had noted the stripped lower for $340 but not where I found it for that.  Looks like that will be $400 if I can find one.  Checking all the usual places.
View Quote
I'm working on a MWS build. The bolt carrier is my last needed part as it is a big pill to swallow but I'm determined to keep in LMT with dual ejectors.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Sometimes it's just about having fun
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:43:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By hammermill290: I've been kicking around some ideas regarding mods and what not I'd like to do on some of my MRP uppers, in particular the LM8's.  I put together a tabletop cnc mill a while back and I'm in the learning process, but today I did something pretty simple but useful (to me).  One thing I don't like is the forward locations of the qd sockets, both on the LM8 and mlok uppers...it's wasted room, at least for me.  So I modified a 5 slot rail for my LM8's to fit all the way forward.  It's not a huge amount of extra room but I find every little bit helps on these cqb chassis.  The rail section still uses one indexing hole and two bolts, so it's still secure...good enough for a light.

This little mill can do 3d milling pretty well, even with just a flat end mill.  I also did an mlok finger stop out of delrin a while back and I was amazed at how well it cut compound curves.  Anyway, what I really want to do is some custom G10 rail panels for my LM8's because the LMT ones leave a lot to be desired.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/409179/2018-12-18_15_18_45_jpg-776796.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/409179/2018-12-18_15_19_00_jpg-776797.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/409179/2018-12-18_15_19_50_jpg-776798.JPG
View Quote
Nice work!
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Nice work!
View Quote
Thanks!  I'm anxious to get to work on some handguard panels, still need to work out some better ways to fixture material on the bed of the mill.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Tomorrow is the day for $449 MLR uppers guys!  I've decided that's a no-brainer, gotta pick that up.

https://lmtdefense.com/parts/l7y1a
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#50]
12 minutes left until we can order the MLR upper. I am logged in and ready to go.
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 64 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top