Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 62 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sevin8nin] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Ambi controls make total sense to me...they always have...not just because I am a lefty but because they work....
View Quote
Ambi stuff definitely makes life easier.  I took the opposite approach on handguns and rifles and decided that I better just learn how to make it work left handed as-is. That way i'd never be at a disadvantage on any gun I pick up.  All my ARs have always just had mil-spec fire control, mag release, bolt release etc. Though I have been running a BCM charging handle in all of them, but I can still charge a mil-spec handle the same.
Point is, if it's my rifle, or any rifle, or any handgun, if i'm comfortable with how to operate it when there are NO ambi controls, then i'll be comfortable no matter what.

A left handed friend of mine has been using the same philosophy.

ETA: page ownage deserves a picture

Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jglock53] [#2]
I am a lefty as well. The one item I find most handy personally is an ambi charging handle. Everything else I am programmed to operate the same way I always have. When I have had weapons with ambi safeties I forget they are even there. Also depending on how long your fingers are I find manipulating the bolt release easy with my pointer finger. Same for locking it back. I also just ordered some IWC scout mounts to see if they will get that light out on a 16” and reduce barrel shadow I’ll post some pics once they arrive.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:

Ambi stuff definitely makes life easier.  I took the opposite approach on handguns and rifles and decided that I better just learn how to make it work left handed as-is. That way i'd never be at a disadvantage on any gun I pick up.  All my ARs have always just had mil-spec fire control, mag release, bolt release etc. Though I have been running a BCM charging handle in all of them, but I can still charge a mil-spec handle the same.
Point is, if it's my rifle, or any rifle, or any handgun, if i'm comfortable with how to operate it when there are NO ambi controls, then i'll be comfortable no matter what.

https://i.imgur.com/V6kuSs6.jpg
View Quote
How do you like the dimples, I am considering getting one of my barrels and was wondering how it felt afterwords.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
not sure that i noticed the difference much. It was a 3.3oz difference in weight.
The gun shot lights out before regardless of barrel heat so I can't attest to that either. I had Marvin turn another barrel down to .68 I think it was and that turned out to be the same weight savings as dimpling. So maybe turning the barrel down AND dimpling would be closer to 5-6ozs in weight reduction. But at that price you might as well pay to have a barrel converted to MRP, or just stick with the stock barrel.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, not sure if it's worth for only 6oz.

At what that would cost, I am almost of the mind to do a proof barrel and spend a little more. At least you can get a pound with that
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]
MLOK upper guys, have you noticed the grooves for the barrel extension feed ramps are a little small?  The best way I can describe it is they're not cut deep enough to perfectly match up with the depth of the feed ramps.  I was looking at a rifle for possible purchase and I noticed this and wondered if it's "normal."  Of the LMT rifles/uppers I've seen in the past, the transition from the grooves in the upper to the barrel extension feed ramps was always smooth and perfect.  I got a couple shots of what I'm talking about on the one in question, but with limited time and bad angles, the shots didn't come out as obvious as I was hoping.  Could you guys take a look on yours and say whether the grooves appear to be a bit small/shallow?

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you are running full auto...that will do just fine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:03:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4hk33] [#8]
Both my original cqb from 2014ish and mloc rifle have the same feed extensions that yours has.

Not anything to worry about
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By m4hk33:
Both my original cqb from 2014ish and mloc rifle have the same feed extensions that yours has.

Not anything to worry about
View Quote
My old Cqb looks exactly like that
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]
New x24. Needs a Wilcox mount for the t1 I think

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:
New x24. Needs a Wilcox mount for the t1 I think

https://vgy.me/fh8OkX.jpg
View Quote
Awesome setup, and the x24 is my favorite optic made beside a T-1.  You get a ton of performance in a tiny package, albeit an unforgiving one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless you are running full auto...that will do just fine.
View Quote
They look fine to me..... don't see any reason that would lock up a rifle on FA or SA.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tj102] [#13]
Looks like Estonia Military are joining the LMT family

https://news.err.ee/882156/lewis-machine-tool-company-wins-automatic-firearms-contract
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tj102: Looks like Estonia Military are joining the LMT family

https://news.err.ee/882156/lewis-machine-tool-company-wins-automatic-firearms-contract
View Quote
Good for LMT.  $25M based on the exchange rate.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like LMT beat HK again head to head for a .mil contact as well....I imagine HK knows who LMT is by know
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: col1981] [#16]
I just picked up a new 16" DI MRP CQB...has anyone else got a MRP barrel where the markings are not top dead center? The production date was 8/2018 I believe. Everything seems normal just the markings are not directly on the top of the barrel, they are slightly off to the left looking at it from the receiver, strange.  ETA called LMT up and they were quick and helpful, said it was no big deal that the barrels can be marked in different places, I personally just hadn't seen one that wasn't marked aligned directly with the gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:46:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:
Looks like LMT beat HK again head to head for a .mil contact as well....I imagine HK knows who LMT is by know
View Quote
IMO there are two lessons to be learned from this: 1)a small company can still go head to head against big state-sponsored companies and win, and 2)innovate and live or stagnate and die *cough*Colt*cough*
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#18]
Another lesson...don't count out the small guy...

LMT all the WAY....they rock.

Looks like LMT updated the MWS to piston for the trails:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/04/05/estonian-rifle-trials-sig-hk-lmt-rifles-in-running/

Pics of the submitted guns with Estonia (further confirms MWS is piston driven for them):

https://www.err.ee/692827/fotod-mannikul-paukusid-kaitsevae-uued-automaadid#lg=1&slide=0
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#19]
Originally Posted By col1981:
I just picked up a new 16" DI MRP CQB...has anyone else got a MRP barrel where the markings are not top dead center? The production date was 8/2018 I believe. Everything seems normal just the markings are not directly on the top of the barrel, they are slightly off to the left looking at it from the receiver, strange.  ETA called LMT up and they were quick and helpful, said it was no big deal that the barrels can be marked in different places, I personally just hadn't seen one that wasn't marked aligned directly with the gas tube.
View Quote
Yes...I have. Mine is at the 9 o clock on the MWS
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Another lesson...don't count out the small guy...

LMT all the WAY....they rock.

Looks like LMT updated the MWS to piston for the trails:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/04/05/estonian-rifle-trials-sig-hk-lmt-rifles-in-running/

Pics of the submitted guns with Estonia (further confirms MWS is piston driven for them):

https://www.err.ee/692827/fotod-mannikul-paukusid-kaitsevae-uued-automaadid#lg=1&slide=0
View Quote
Is that a 14.5 piston barrel in the pic in the first link?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#21]
If you look at the second pic, it appears they are testing two lengths....one that looks like a 12.5" model, and the other or the one your referring to looks like a standard 16" model.   I'm just using the chassis size for scale and reference to make my opinion though, and don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#22]
Shorter for SF units and regular for infantry...NZ does the same...they run 10.5" DI for their SAS.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Capta:

IMO there are two lessons to be learned from this: 1)a small company can still go head to head against big state-sponsored companies and win, and 2)innovate and live or stagnate and die *cough*Colt*cough*
View Quote
The funny thing is both HK and Colt are facing similar issue financially, both are hundreds of millions of dollars in debt. In a decade in which we have seen all of the first world military and police forces rearm, both Colt and HK went broke, while firms like FN/Sig/Beretta/CZ have done well.  The mismanagement of both firms are incredible.  Its odd because Colt and HK make great weapons, Period. They both have had success with adoption on a global scale but their current lineups are meh....

Was kind of excited for the CM762 for a little bit, lost interest. I am interested in HK's Scar clone. but if i was going to buy a scar clone, its going to be CZ based on pricing and support.

I understand HK faces lot of export issues from the German Government but at a certain point they should really transfer all development and production to HK-USA
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:07:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tranzformer] [#24]
The funny thing is both HK and Colt are facing similar issue financially, both are hundreds of millions of dollars in debt. In a decade in which we have seen all of the first world military and police forces rearm, both Colt and HK went broke, while firms like FN/Sig/Beretta/CZ have done well.  The mismanagement of both firms are incredible.  Its odd because Colt and HK make great weapons, Period. They both have had success with adoption on a global scale but their current lineups are meh....

Was kind of excited for the CM762 for a little bit, lost interest. I am interested in HK's Scar clone. but if i was going to buy a scar clone, its going to be CZ based on pricing and support.

I understand HK faces lot of export issues from the German Government but at a certain point they should really transfer all development and production to HK-USA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah that HK433 looks really nice. But HK/Germany/Merkel hate us. So doubt we will see that over here.

The CZ Bren 2 is the one to consider. Really is an improvement on the legendary SCAR and fit for the modern military. Plus CZ always hits the price point for most gun for the money.

Edit: Actually the HK433 is more of a copy of the Bushmaster ACR.

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

Yeah that HK433 looks really nice. But HK/Germany/Merkel hate us. So doubt we will see that over here.

The CZ Bren 2 is the one to consider. Really is an improvement on the legendary SCAR and fit for the modern military. Plus CZ always hits the price point for most gun for the money.

Edit: Actually the HK433 is more of a copy of the Bushmaster ACR.

https://i.ibb.co/SmWsGR4/91060-ACR-450-Rifle-1200px.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/dpNwLYD/942-F02-C4-0-A72-4-B6-A-9013-D769-C5894-E2-D.jpg
View Quote
Could be.  The  Scar, Bren, ACR, APC223, HK433 are all so close
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#26]
HK is not doing well financially...they have been beaten out by LMT three times now on some large $$ contracts equipping smaller national forces that they needed bad.

HK won't go under ever...German government will rescue them...on the same side...we will most likely never see anything good from HK USA...the MR556 and MR762 are a joke for the $$ they are charging...they are simply not worth it...but people still buy them because of the HK name.

HK should just move its HQ to America with a full move...make things here...reap the awards of selling to the American civilian market that is larger than any military. HK's unwillingness to even update the MR556 to A5/A7 variant got me to give up on the brand.

In a way...what is happening to HK is ok with me...because it allows companies like LMT to be entered into the battlefield and gain momentum...which will inherently allow LMT to expand and innovate.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Any ideas what this is about? Does LMT usually run good Christmas deals? I jumped on the BF 10.5" barrel for my LMT. Curious if they might have a good discount on their enhanced bolt or other goodies? Or will it be clothing and other smaller things on sale?

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Honestly, if Picittinny dont completely fuck up the requirements of the Army IC test, they would of ran away with the contract. Far better bolt life with A1, far better reliability. Just a better overall weapon. Just not 2x better, a key requirement for the test.

When they realized that there was no way that the winner would achieve twice the MRBF of the M4. They said fuck it.  It's not worth it

But hey, at least we got a retarded pistol.  That was totally worth it...

HK doesn't make bad weapons, I just think they make Euro weapons which are made for and by people that have no concept of gun culture.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Any ideas what this is about? Does LMT usually run good Christmas deals? I jumped on the BF 10.5" barrel for my LMT. Curious if they might have a good discount on their enhanced bolt or other goodies? Or will it be clothing and other smaller things on sale?

http://i68.tinypic.com/117fuck.jpg
View Quote
The fathers day sale was pretty good,  didnt see anything worthwhile on black friday
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Cool, will be watching.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tranzformer] [#31]
The fathers day sale was pretty good,  didnt see anything worthwhile on black friday
View All Quotes

The 10.5" barrel for $260 shipped was good I thought.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes

Damn good deal. So were $100 LMT SOPMODs
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:15:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: foughtstrong] [#33]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:
View All Quotes

And thier BCG for $125
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:43:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By foughtstrong:
And thier BCG for $125
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By foughtstrong:

And thier BCG for $125
I missed out on the $100 LMT SOPMODs and the $125 BCG. Wouldn't mind seeing both of those again for the 12 days of Christmas sale. Also wouldn't mind to see them add an enhanced BCG for a good discount too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#35]

I missed out on the $100 LMT SOPMODs and the $125 BCG. Wouldn't mind seeing both of those again for the 12 days of Christmas sale. Also wouldn't mind to see them add an enhanced BCG for a good discount too.
View Quote
I'm putting in for 11.5 MRP barrels for $250, and enhanced BCGs for about the same.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Wish I would have had the $ for about 10 or so at that price.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#37]

I'm putting in for 11.5 MRP barrels for $250, and enhanced BCGs for about the same.
View Quote
If they have the 11.5" barrels on sale, I'll have to jump on it.  I have two 10.5" 5.56 barrels right now so I managed to hold off on that deal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Wonder how this will effect supply to the civilian market in the coming years.

I think LMT will just keep growing their mil contracts since they’be gotten their feet wet now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:

https://i.imgur.com/V6kuSs6.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful gun. What offset sights are those?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#40]

I think LMT will just keep growing their mil contracts since they’be gotten their feet wet now.
View Quote
They'll be moving to their new and much larger facility soon. That should allow them to either maintain their current supply or possibly even expand it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:35:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#41]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
They'll be moving to their new and much larger facility soon. That should allow them to either maintain their current supply or possibly even expand it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

Who knows?  The Brits are supposed to be pleased with their LMT .308s.   Maybe they'll finally get serious about replacing the SA80, which would be a major contract.  I think LMT did themselves and their customers well by promptly fixing the deficiencies in the NZ rifles.  I've wondered if the awesome deal from Brownells resulted from LMT having to blow some stock out to cover replacement of all those firing pins and BCGs on the NZ contract.  Once this is over it wouldn't surprise me if they went back to being a "Gucci" rifle that relatively few can afford.  Get while the getting is good!
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#42]
I think they blew out stock so they wouldn't have to move it to the new facility. Cheaper to just get rid of it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#43]
My wife and I were on a business trip up through WI, IA, and IL in October and drove past LMT's new facilities.  It's a pretty cool looking building from the outside and was still under construction but it was nice to see it.

LMT said they'd hoped for a July opening but winter ran so much longer than expected that it delayed construction.

Hopefully a '19 visit will be in order to go to one of my 'Meccas' in this industry.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:23:59 AM EDT
[#44]
i think the brownells sale is more of a way to clear old stock.  While i still have a railed CQB that i like, they are a little dated.  I think they noticed that the civilian market has responded well to their Mloc chassis. The railed version were not selling as fast. so blow them out on brownells at close to cost.  Get people tied into their eco system like Apple or glock and before for you know it,   you have a nice core of people who like your product, feel the platform offers a number of advantages over a traditional upper and unless something incredible comes along there is no reason to switch.

is a SR25 smoother than an MWS. Yep.  Can an SR25 out range a MWS with 6.5CM barrel.  nope. not for less than 3500 above and beyond the cost of a base rifle.

LMT is doing some good stuff, i would like to see them release a barrel/kit that is directly aimed at smoothness.  slap 800 bucks on a spring/buffer/and barrel combo and call it a day

but then again they have their own low back pressure supressors s
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:35:51 AM EDT
[#45]
i think the brownells sale is more of a way to clear old stock.  While i still have a railed CQB that i like, they are a little dated.  I think they noticed that the civilian market has responded well to their Mloc chassis. The railed version were not selling as fast. so blow them out on brownells at close to cost.  Get people tied into their eco system like Apple or glock and before for you know it,   you have a nice core of people who like your product, feel the platform offers a number of advantages over a traditional upper and unless something incredible comes along there is no reason to switch.

is a SR25 smoother than an MWS. Yep.  Can an SR25 out range a MWS with 6.5CM barrel.  nope. not for less than 3500 above and beyond the cost of a base rifle.

LMT is doing some good stuff, i would like to see them release a barrel/kit that is directly aimed at smoothness.  slap 800 bucks on a spring/buffer/and barrel combo and call it a day

but then again they have their own low back pressure supressors s
View Quote
We'll probably never know one way the other.  The NZ contract used quad-rail CQBs, and the Estonian contract appears to use MLOK CQBs.  That said, with the possibility of other mil contracts out there that we don't know about, it's likely that at least some will go with quad-rails for the bomb-proof-ness.  Had they offered the two for the same price I probably would've gone with MLOK too, but at the sale price the quad rail is a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Couldn’t pass up on a rifle length chassis in the ee
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Who knows?  The Brits are supposed to be pleased with their LMT .308s.   Maybe they'll finally get serious about replacing the SA80, which would be a major contract.  I think LMT did themselves and their customers well by promptly fixing the deficiencies in the NZ rifles.  I've wondered if the awesome deal from Brownells resulted from LMT having to blow some stock out to cover replacement of all those firing pins and BCGs on the NZ contract.  Once this is over it wouldn't surprise me if they went back to being a "Gucci" rifle that relatively few can afford.  Get while the getting is good!
View Quote
I think you are right...or they did that to allow them to start fulfilling the Estonian contract and blow through inventory before moving to their new facility like one stated on here.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#48]
https://vgy.me/dUxOuN.jpg

Couldn’t pass up on a rifle length chassis in the ee
View Quote
Looking good.  I got rid of my rifle length MRP a while back because it was too heavy.  Hoping the LMT 12 days of Christmas has a decent deal on rifle length MLOK receivers.  I've got a 16" barrel I'm ready to chop to 14.5 and dimple.  Hopefully.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:

Looking good.  I got rid of my rifle length MRP a while back because it was too heavy.  Hoping the LMT 12 days of Christmas has a decent deal on rifle length MLOK receivers.  I've got a 16" barrel I'm ready to chop to 14.5 and dimple.  Hopefully.
View Quote
It feels a good deal heavier, but wanted to scratch the itch. I don’t like how I have to remove everything from the mlok chassis, including the rubber rail panels to remove the barrel. I did come across a burn proof gear rail rap that looks pretty sweet and could solve that issue making me return to the mlok and sell off the quad rail again. Something about the rifle length chassis will always look good in the safe even 20 Years from now though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#50]
It feels a good deal heavier, but wanted to scratch the itch. I don’t like how I have to remove everything from the mlok chassis, including the rubber rail panels to remove the barrel. I did come across a burn proof gear rail rap that looks pretty sweet and could solve that issue making me return to the mlok and sell off the quad rail again. Something about the rifle length chassis will always look good in the safe even 20 Years from now though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThePitt:

I don't like the fact that they couldn't have made the diameter slightly larger to allow the removal of the barrel without removing the attachments.  It really is just a minor inconvenience though, for me.  Truth be told I rarely pull a barrel.
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 62 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top