Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 59 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes LMTwill build uppers to order.  PM sent.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By methical20:
Looking to pick up my first MRP and wondering who has good deals for MRP MLOK rifles/uppers. Bummed that I missed out on the Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore 1500 dollar rifles. Can't find another deal that good anywhere.

Are 14.5" MLOK complete uppers sold anywhere?
View Quote
LMT assembled mine to order. The only delay was from the 300blk barrel batch not being ready right when I ordered.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:20:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#4]
Received my replacement MRP upper from Brownell's and it is 100% good to go.

Originally I ordered the NZ upper which appeared to be heavily used with pitting/scaring in the groves of the barrel past the gas block.

When I opened up the replacement, regular MRP upper...it became 100% evident that my NZ was a used upper assembly. Inside my new replacement upper, I found a small inspection tag that was attached to the flash hider with a blue heavy line that reached inside the barrel that was also attached via one of the flash hider's port. My NZ upper had none of that when I received it from Brownell's.

At the end, I am happy that I got my MARS-L rifle completed...just wish I would have received the original NZ upper in new condition. I wrote to Brownell's to double check their stuff, however not sure where that will go because they process so many orders that they probably just get a credit back from the manufacturer without too much care.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oniak] [#5]
I love this thread.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#6]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
At the end, I am happy that I got my MARS-L rifle completed...just wish I would have received the original NZ upper in new condition. I wrote to Brownell's to double check their stuff, however not sure where that will go because they process so many orders that they probably just get a credit back from the manufacturer without too much care.
View Quote
With Brownell’s 100% satisfaction guarantee, you could theoretically shoot your upper, and if/when the NZ uppers get restocked, if the sale is still going on, exchange it for the NZ upper - since you’re not 100% satisfied! Either way, I hope you enjoy the rifle.

I just installed an LMT QD receiver back plate on my Defender lower today and made a mess of staking it. The LMT plate is made of some pretty tough stuff and seems to have broken my Harbor Freight automatic punch. Had to resort to the old conventional punch and hammer, and it didn’t go very smoothly. I may replace it when I get around to ordering another receiver end plate. Should function fine until then.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

With Brownell’s 100% satisfaction guarantee, you could theoretically shoot your upper, and if/when the NZ uppers get restocked, if the sale is still going on, exchange it for the NZ upper - since you’re not 100% satisfied! Either way, I hope you enjoy the rifle.

I just installed an LMT QD receiver back plate on my Defender lower today and made a mess of staking it. The LMT plate is made of some pretty tough stuff and seems to have broken my Harbor Freight automatic punch. Had to resort to the old conventional punch and hammer, and it didn’t go very smoothly. I may replace it when I get around to ordering another receiver end plate. Should function fine until then.
View Quote
Yup I am. The replacement upper is good to go.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked up an LMT CQB upper from Brownells and want to get a spare barrel.  Does anyone know if LMT has regular sales on their barrels and if so, when?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Capta: Picked up an LMT CQB upper from Brownells and want to get a spare barrel.  Does anyone know if LMT has regular sales on their barrels and if so, when?  Thanks!
View Quote
Watch their instagram posts.

They usually throw up a coupon code every so often.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:35:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oniak] [#10]
Vance's Outdoor has a fairly good deal going on the MRP-16.  Not quite as good as the $1499 that was listed on Vance's sister site, Sportman's.  But, still a good deal for what you get.  And it does come with LMT's 2-stage trigger.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Capta:
Picked up an LMT CQB upper from Brownells and want to get a spare barrel.  Does anyone know if LMT has regular sales on their barrels and if so, when?  Thanks!
View Quote
Typically around the major holidays they offer 20% off. As mentioned above it is posted on their Instagram as well as their website.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
I’ve got a barrel for sale.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By spdrcrgts:

Typically around the major holidays they offer 20% off. As mentioned above it is posted on their Instagram as well as their website.
View Quote
So maybe Thanksgiving then.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Just picked this up from @jtdam24. Original slk8 with a mike rock 16” stainless barrel. Completely unfired and absolutely beautiful. Will probably be letting it go though!

Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#15]
Nice, that's an uber turn key Recce.  Uppers like that used to be the strict definition of a Recce rifle...but the cool name made everybody wanna coin their latest scoped AR a Recce.

By the way, does the barrel read:   MP SPR 1/7 SS on it?   Didn't know Rock was still producing the 5R SS blanks for LMT when they developed the SLK chassis.   I imagine all barrels now, both SS and CL models are in house which was LMT's long time goal and plan for the platform which makes perfect sense...but losing the ability to buy Rock 5R SS barrels for the platform was a sad thing for sure.

The great thing is that so much of the inherit accuracy in the MRP is found in it's highly unique chassis, and barrel capturing design.   I've believed since getting my first MRP years ago that the MRP chassis only makes an average barrel look great, and a great barrel look like a super barrel.

Colt 6940s are an example of this in my mind.....when they married their already very highly regarded Colt barrels in regards to accuracy with a one piece chassis, you saw really amazing accuracy reports from folks who knew how to properly drive a rifle.   The MRP chassis captures even more barrel over that design thus increasing it's ability in the accuracy/precision dept.

Been reviewing some ammo lately, and for folks looking for a great precision round that is good for serious uses with regards to unobstructed targets....the new Hornady Black 75gr. HPBT offering shoots groups b/t 1.1-1.3" in diameter @ 100yds using 10rds groups in my SS MRP barrels.   While not truly sub 1"/MOA like 55gr.vmax the only offering that I know is, this loading is extremely predictable across two barrels shooting 3 groups per barrel.   I also compared it head to head to the Frontier 5.56 TAP T2 poor mans load.....and sadly the Frontier just isn't anywhere close to the legendary red box TAP T2 of yesteryear.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:
Nice, that's an uber turn key Recce.  Uppers like that used to be the strict definition of a Recce rifle...but the cool name made everybody wanna coin their latest scoped AR a Recce.

By the way, does the barrel read:   MP SPR 1/7 SS on it?   Didn't know Rock was still producing the 5R SS blanks for LMT when they developed the SLK chassis.   I imagine all barrels now, both SS and CL models are in house which was LMT's long time goal and plan for the platform which makes perfect sense...but losing the ability to buy Rock 5R SS barrels for the platform was a sad thing for sure.

The great thing is that so much of the inherit accuracy in the MRP is found in it's highly unique chassis, and barrel capturing design.   I've believed since getting my first MRP years ago that the MRP chassis only makes an average barrel look great, and a great barrel look like a super barrel.

Colt 6940s are an example of this in my mind.....when they married their already very highly regarded Colt barrels in regards to accuracy with a one piece chassis, you saw really amazing accuracy reports from folks who knew how to properly drive a rifle.   The MRP chassis captures even more barrel over that design thus increasing it's ability in the accuracy/precision dept.

Been reviewing some ammo lately, and for folks looking for a great precision round that is good for serious uses with regards to unobstructed targets....the new Hornady Black 75gr. HPBT offering shoots groups b/t 1.1-1.3" in diameter @ 100yds using 10rds groups in my SS MRP barrels.   While not truly sub 1"/MOA like 55gr.vmax the only offering that I know is, this loading is extremely predictable across two barrels shooting 3 groups per barrel.   I also compared it head to head to the Frontier 5.56 TAP T2 poor mans load.....and sadly the Frontier just isn't anywhere close to the legendary red box TAP T2 of yesteryear.
View Quote
I will check the stamping, but it has the star marking on the barrel chamber face which I read is the distinct marking.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

I will check the stamping, but it has the star marking on the barrel chamber face which I read is the distinct marking.
View Quote
The star mark on the chamber face is on all MRP barrels, including chrome-lined. It doesn’t denote a Mike Rock barrel.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emtothedee] [#18]
Originally Posted By spdrcrgts:

The star mark on the chamber face is on all MRP barrels, including chrome-lined. It doesn’t denote a Mike Rock barrel.
View Quote
Lemme check my others and see if that’s accurate.

Edit: aha I see it. I’ll check the twist rate of the barrel. I have no problem taking jtdam24’s word on it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Lemme check my others and see if that’s accurate.

Edit: aha I see it. I’ll check the twist rate of the barrel. I have no problem taking jtdam24’s word on it.
View Quote
I agree with you, I’d have no problem taking jtdam24’s word.

I am curious though if there is any visual distinction between the earlier Mike Rock 5R cut rifled barrels and possibly new versions done in-house by LMT.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:43:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#20]
Well here is my LMT MARS-L rifle.

Freaking love it. Makes a great little brother to the 13.5" LMT MWS I have.

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin859] [#21]

https://i.imgur.com/uVtEa2j.jpg
View Quote
Very nice.

What optic is that. It looks like an Eotech, but I've never seen one with the (battery compartment?) on the side.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ronin859:
Very nice.

What optic tic is that. It looks like an Eotech, but I've never seen one with the (battery compartment?) on the side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/uVtEa2j.jpg
Very nice.

What optic tic is that. It looks like an Eotech, but I've never seen one with the (battery compartment?) on the side.
Since I'm here...that's a Mepro Tru-dot.  I have one on my Tavor, they're a pretty good red dot sight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Forgive the terrible pics but here's a bad comparison between the red and green dot MROs. I'll get better pics when I have more time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Very nice.

What optic is that. It looks like an Eotech, but I've never seen one with the (battery compartment?) on the side.
View Quote
Mepro TruDot RDS...probably one of the most underrate dots on the market.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:16:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jtdam24:
http://i.imgur.com/NoelSpI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/F3jIhi2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/W5NPEvH.jpg
Forgive the terrible pics but here's a bad comparison between the red and green dot MROs. I'll get better pics when I have more time.
View Quote
So lint-y
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:11:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hiih8r] [#27]
LMT doesn’t offer pistol lowers so I ordered a MARS-L stripped lower, all the LMT parts to finish it including their awesome enhanced buffer tube. Only changes are Geissele SD-E, SCH, and Super 42 buffer and spring. SBA3 brace and MOE+ grip.

Upper is 10.5” MRP with enhanced BCG, Elcan 1-4, and Surefire M720V.

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I dig that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Sunday morning sexy. Mini recce with Rugged Surge in K mode and Leupold MK4 1.5-5X SPR ILLUMINATED in a Bobro mount. Surefire M720V in black not pictured. Also if anyone wants to trade a new set of Troy BUIS in black for a new set of LMT fixed sights, let me know.

Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I was thinking on this the other day and was curious if anyone has ever made a storage sleeve for the MRP barrels? An idea I thought of would be a hybrid kydex/nylon. The nylon similar to a muzzle cover and the kydex molded to protect the gas tube/chamber end. The unit could be modular to accommodate various barrel lengths and the kydex would be fixed as that's a constant. On second thought, the nylon sleeve should have min 1/8" closed cell foam and maybe unique to barrel length so it could simply snap onto the kydex.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:
LMT doesn’t offer pistol lowers so I ordered a MARS-L stripped lower, all the LMT parts to finish it including their awesome enhanced buffer tube. Only changes are Geissele SD-E, SCH, and Super 42 buffer and spring. SBA3 brace and MOE+ grip.

Upper is 10.5” MRP with enhanced BCG, Elcan 1-4, and Surefire M720V.

https://i.imgur.com/LMT7sku.jpg
View Quote
Very nice!
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#32]
This gun speaks to me.

Very nicely done @hammermill290.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
This gun speaks to me.

Thank you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4ger:
This gun speaks to me.

Thank you.
Thanks, I appreciate that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I love this setup so much

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got pretty much everything my new MLR Upper.

Started with a MARS lower bought a year ago, bought a 14.5" barrel on sale, and had ADCO reprofile before the gas block, dimple behind and p/w a BC ACR. They did great work with a quick turn around.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I did pick up a TA11, but even with the extra eye relief, it wasn't enough for what I was looking for. Threw the Burris on there for now, and may end up with the NX8, but will see how this works out.

Attachment Attached File

With its older brother
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
I was thinking on this the other day and was curious if anyone has ever made a storage sleeve for the MRP barrels? An idea I thought of would be a hybrid kydex/nylon. The nylon similar to a muzzle cover and the kydex molded to protect the gas tube/chamber end. The unit could be modular to accommodate various barrel lengths and the kydex would be fixed as that's a constant. On second thought, the nylon sleeve should have min 1/8" closed cell foam and maybe unique to barrel length so it could simply snap onto the kydex.

Thoughts?
View Quote
I’ve never seen anything like what you’re describing but I’ve made sleeves from PVC for storing/protecting spare barrels for various rifles in the past. Just use the correct diameter to accomodate the individual barrel and clear it’s widest part, cut to length and clue a solid cap on one end and threaded cap on the other. Works like a charm.

I generally cut it a little longer and I’ll save closed cell foam I’ve cut from cases and put a shortly length down in the capped end and then another piece to stuff in the threaded end to keep the barrel from beating back and forth.

Just don’t store it long term without pulling it out and maintaining it from time to time or moisture sealed in the tube can cause rust to form.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:37:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Lots of sweet footage of MRP’s in action with New Zealand SAS

Inside the SAS | Creating the Elite Soldier
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:45:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:04:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#39]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpN04oA_73s
View Quote
Couple of things in that video - what stocks are they using?  It looks like a Magpul CTR.  (Interesting that Magpul is getting big mil use, since I saw the Magpul Moe-SL used on some British-issued rifles.)  Also in some of the shots, it looks like they have a PEQ mounted as far back on the rail as it will go, which seems not the normal practice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:22:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emtothedee] [#40]
https://i.imgur.com/G9hHYIb.jpg
View Quote
Well now I need a rifle length quad rail. @jtdam24
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#41]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpN04oA_73s
View Quote
Great video, solid history and training. Like the thoughts from the "old guy"
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Couple of things in that video - what stocks are they using?  It looks like a Magpul CTR.  (Interesting that Magpul is getting big mil use, since I saw the Magpul Moe-SL used on some British-issued rifles.)  Also in some of the shots, it looks like they have a PEQ mounted as far back on the rail as it will go, which seems not the normal practice.
View Quote
Many top tier SF units use the CTR stock over others....they tend to gravitate towards the KISS principle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seamasterpro] [#43]
I’m obsessed with the NZDF guns And have been scouring the internet for pics, I probably have 50+ I’ve gathered for inspiration.

Most of the SAS guns in pics/videos are rifle receivers, 14.5” barrels, closed tine Warcomp, CTR stock. Optics appear to be T1s, some ACOGs and a few Eotechs.

Found this one of the SAS sporting a CQB receiver, 10.5” barrel and ACOG:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Brownells has NZ uppers in stock again for $699.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I always knew one day a Tier 1 unit would pick stretch railed MRPs

It's truly validating to many long time MRP users seeing the Brits, and Kiwis making use of an American made and designed firearm that has quite frankly been overlooked by all those but the most discerning of buyers within the civilian market since it's inception.

I'm pretty surprised they released a video like that featuring SAS.  They tend to not write lots of novels, and make movies about what they do.  Either way, thanks a bunch for posting that video.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#46]
LMT is my go-to AR platform...always will be...forever...MRP/MWS is a robust design.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/G9hHYIb.jpg
@emtothedee lol oh brother you never have enough!! Honestly the railed MRP's are my fav
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:06:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By seamasterpro:
I’m obsessed with the NZDF guns And have been scouring the internet for pics, I probably have 50+ I’ve gathered for inspiration.

Most of the SAS guns in pics/videos are rifle receivers, 14.5” barrels, closed tine Warcomp, CTR stock. Optics appear to be T1s, some ACOGs and a few Eotechs.

Found this one of the SAS sporting a CQB receiver, 10.5” barrel and ACOG:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91189/7B0F1527-94CF-4D4F-BC3D-C1B57C5FA1BD_jpeg-724444.JPG
View Quote
Guy second from left also seems to have a PEQ (though unclear I admit) to the rear of the rail.  Any ideas on this?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#49]
No clue why...maybe for better balance and he has a pressure switch on the side of the rail.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#50]
No clue why...maybe for better balance and he has a pressure switch on the side of the rail.
View Quote
I'm curious on this because the conventional wisdom says they HAVE to be up front, which can cause problems with light, sling, and front sight.  I think we can all agree that the NZSAS are the real deal, and they're going opposite that here.  Reasons?  Possibly less vulnerable to damage?  Possibly less receiver flex/better zero retention?  Possibly a demand that the front iron sight be retained?
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 59 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top