Site Notices
10/1/2014 2:19:24 PM
10/1/2014 10:30:17 AM
Author
Posted: 6/13/2010 11:18:13 AM
I recently read about Mossberg AR15 barrels, and seemed like a decent value for a budget gun. If i had to guess, Mossberg is having these made for them by someone. Does anyone know anything about them, especially in regards to the stainless ones? thanks for any help!

Doug
SyberSniper
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/15/2010 10:48:40 PM
[Last Edit: 6/16/2010 9:43:06 AM by SyberSniper]
I too am looking for info on Mossberg AR barrels. Extensive searching and googling info turns up nada. I just was informed by SG product support that the $99 16" 1:7 M4 "style" barrels sold by Sportsmans Guide are made by Mossberg and do have the M4 feed cuts. I think Mossberg has their own barrel facility and am aware they make replacement shotgun barrels for the 870 but didn't know they are now into the aftermarket AR line. More info would be welcomed.
For $99 I ordered one to give a try.and will give a eval after using it a while. I wonder if they also make the AR-Stoner line Midway sells, since they are very similar specs and price point. I did have one of those with a ringed chamber I sent back.
hoss622
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2010 12:13:59 AM
Mossberg does make their own barrels. They are one of the largest OEM suppliers that you never heard of. Hell, within their own company, it's nearly impossible to get connected to the guy that runs that division. It took me about a dozen phone calls to various people in the company, before I got a hold of him, to talk about a quote. There were people at Mossberg that flat-out denied that they made AR15 barrels, out of shear ignorance.

Anyway, not bad for high production, commodity barrels. Don't be surprised if your XYZ AR15 is wearing a Mossberg barrel, as most companies that make AR15s do NOT make their own barrels.
Crush you enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
SyberSniper
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2010 1:11:27 PM
Thanks Hoss, Do you know if they put any particular markings on them for ID?
skylane
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2010 1:15:49 PM
A thread about Del Ton discussed this - apparently they are not marked and only a real expert could tell if one is a Mossberg or other.
hoss622
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2010 5:33:04 PM
Originally Posted By SyberSniper:
Thanks Hoss, Do you know if they put any particular markings on them for ID?

Unless they are well-know target barrels (like Kreiger), which would be a selling point, the barrel maker is going to mark it however the customer wants them. That means either something generic, or their customer's name on them.
Crush you enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
cckw
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2010 8:02:30 PM
Originally Posted By hoss622:
Mossberg does make their own barrels. They are one of the largest OEM suppliers that you never heard of. Hell, within their own company, it's nearly impossible to get connected to the guy that runs that division. It took me about a dozen phone calls to various people in the company, before I got a hold of him, to talk about a quote. There were people at Mossberg that flat-out denied that they made AR15 barrels, out of shear ignorance.

Anyway, not bad for high production, commodity barrels. Don't be surprised if your XYZ AR15 is wearing a Mossberg barrel, as most companies that make AR15s do NOT make their own barrels.

For about how long?
I want to buy WW-2 items, especially German. PM or e-mail me.

hoss622
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2010 1:16:28 AM
Originally Posted By cckw:
Originally Posted By hoss622:

For about how long?

I honestly don't know. When I started my little barrel shop a few years ago, they were already cranking out a ton of barrels for OEM's.