Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2009 12:03:10 AM EDT
I just picked up Rainer Arms' new compensator for my LWRC M6A2. It replaced the standard A2 flash hider. However, I do have a PWS FSC556 on my RRA. So, I was able to compare the two. After buying the comp, I went out and shot it just as the sun was going down.

First things first, the recoil. The Xtreme Tac Comp was very comparable to the PWS. If anything, I'd say that the muzzle rise was ever so slightly less with the XTC. It was small enough to make me think that the difference I was feeling might be with the heavy barrel and heavier weight, especially on the front end, of my M6A2 as compared to my RRA. The XTC also felt like the recoil was a little more blunt, whereas the PWS felt a little more sharp.

Now the flash hiding capabilities. The PWS was definitely better at hiding the flash, but the XTC was an improvement over the A2 bird cage. However, from the shooters standpoint, I could not notice a flash difference between the PWS and XTC. Almost all of the flash comes out of the side ports located at the 3 and 9 o'clock. None of the flash was in my field of view. The XTC does send a nice 4-6" flame horizontally (at least that what it appeared to be from standing at about the 5 o'clock position from the shooter).

I'm sure you might be wondering how the noise is? Well, it's a compensator. So there was a nice bang to it. I'd say that it's probably just about as loud as the PWS, but it makes a different sound. The XTC is much more of a thud, where the PWS seems to produce a much sharper, piercing sound. The blast effect of both the PWS and XTC were pretty much the same. Neither of them bother me when I'm next to it.

The fit and finish of the XTC appears to be on par with any other high end comp out there. I like the design of the XTC over the PWS becuase there are no sharp edges. Everything is much more rounded off. I'd like to say that the XTC is less likely to snag on things, but I've never had issues with my PWS snagging either. One thing I did notice is that there are still quite a bit of threads showing on the inside of the comp even with it completely threaded on. The PWS doesn't show any threads. Whether this is good, bad, or doesn't matter, I don't know. It was just an observation.

So, would I recommend Rainier Arms' Xtreme Tactical Compensator? Sure. As a comp, it's just as good, if not slightly better than the PWS. Would I recommend it over the PWS? Well, I couldn't answer that one. I think it would mainly come down to the user's personal preference on the aesthetics of the two. One thing I really do like about the XTC over the PWS is the price. Based on the price, I would definitely recommend the XTC. Overall, I think Rainier Arms put out a good product that appears to be well made, and it definitely does what it's supposed to do.

I hope you all find my initial thoughts on the Rainier Arms XTC somewhat helpful. It's always fun to get new gizmos and try it out. Sorry I don't have any pics of us shooting it. I meant to bring my camera, but I was too excited to get to the range and totally forgot it. The pic shown is from Rainier Arms' website.  I'll get some pics of it mounted on my M6A2 and post later.

Test Rifles

Right Side

Front

Link Posted: 12/30/2009 2:18:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this made by AAC?
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks a little like the Blackout.
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting...I wonder what the reason is for having the two small round ports on the top of one side, but only one on the other side.
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Interesting...I wonder what the reason is for having the two small round ports on the top of one side, but only one on the other side.

I'm guessing, they are used for controlling the direction of recoil. Most ar's run up and right. Take out the 2 right hand screws and more pressure thru them = less up and right.
Some people that have comps that dont have holes either drill them, or clock the comp. Recoil is very subjective tho. So what i need, you might not.
Link Posted: 12/30/2009 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this made by AAC?

or Wilson?

As far as I know they were designed in house and made locally.  That's kind of another reason why I bought it.  I try to support the local guys when I can.  I lived in Idaho before Washington, so I really do like buying PWS as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering about these.  Thanks for the review!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the review. I am hoping that they (ATF) do not classify them as flash hiders like they did for the FSC556. Us "ban-state" shooters need some new muzzle device options.
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 2:14:09 AM EDT
[#9]
The PWS FSC556 is not listed as a flash suppressor by the ATF. Here is a link to the PWS FSC556 page that has a link to the document on the ATF ruling.

FSC556 Page
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#10]
How extreme is it?  It is sooo Xtreme they can't even spell it right.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2010 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#11]
This is a fantastic post pal....i was just wondering about these 2 comps directly compared head to head, now i got a nice lil write up  I try to buy from rainier when i can and since this is an in house product i think i will grab the xcomp.
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
It looks like Sauran's head.
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The PWS FSC556 is not listed as a flash suppressor by the ATF. Here is a link to the PWS FSC556 page that has a link to the document on the ATF ruling.

FSC556 Page

I think he's referring to the Ranier offering.

Link Posted: 1/2/2010 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing, they are used for controlling the direction of recoil. Most ar's run up and right. Take out the 2 right hand screws and more pressure thru them = less up and right.
Some people that have comps that dont have holes either drill them, or clock the comp. Recoil is very subjective tho. So what i need, you might not.

I sent the guys at WEVO(Rainer) an adjustable brake/flash to test and write a review on the WEVO site which never happened but only 3 months later they pop up with this.
interesting. I wonder where they got the idea.

Pics of your brake?
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sent the guys at WEVO(Rainer) an adjustable brake/flash to test and write a review on the WEVO site which never happened but only 3 months later they pop up with this.
I don't know what you are implying but we started our comp design months and months before we received your design.  It sat in our office to be given to Stick but that never happened do to the business of the industry at that time and we sent the comp directly back to you when you requested it.  We can put you in contact with our machine shop if you need to verify.  We do our best to run a first class business and I don't appreciate the innuendos.  BTW, please post pictures of your comp as I don't even remember what it looks like.

Industry section.

AR Performance

The silhouette is similar, but the layout is different.

ETA: Seems like a cool idea for some.
Muzzle Control Device thread.
ETA: Already picked up an XTC, looking forward to testing it when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 1:44:23 AM EDT
[#18]
The grooves and the wrenching flats look similar between the two designs.
ETA: Plus they both use Allen screws????? What are they for? I have not seen that used before, well except for these two designs.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 4:15:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Everyone handles recoil differently, one comp that's effective for another may not be so for another. With the allen screws, you can adjust the gas ports to make it work for you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Are there any other comps out there using this method, with the Allen screws?
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I asked for a pic back on the 2nd when he first posted his comment and there was no reply or any evidence submitted to back the claim.  They were logged in as of yesterday when the thread got bumped again and it had been almost a week with no response.    

I have not done business with either outfit, so I didn't really have a dog in this fight but now I know I will never do business with one of them.  

AR-Performance really handled themselves in a shitty manner here.  A man worthy of doing business with would have either butted up or apologized by now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#23]
dontgiveahoot posted photos of the brake in question as taken from ARPerformance's Industry section.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#24]
The one in the original post doesn't look anything like the other one in question.

Having said that they both look .
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know what you are implying but we started our comp design months and months before we received your design.  It sat in our office to be given to Stick but that never happened do to the business of the industry at that time and we sent the comp directly back to you when you requested it.  We can put you in contact with our machine shop if you need to verify.  We do our best to run a first class business and I don't appreciate the innuendos.  BTW, please post pictures of your comp as I don't even remember what it looks like.

Industry section.

AR Performance

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/constructor2007/MCD.jpg

The silhouette is similar, but the layout is different.

ETA: Seems like a cool idea for some.
Muzzle Control Device thread.
ETA: Already picked up an XTC, looking forward to testing it when I get home.

interesting

to the OP, thanks for the writeup
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fucking hilarious.  Yours and theirs share nothing.  

I'd bet my left nut it didn't take them the 3 months you say elapsed between you sending one and them making this available.

I would guess it takes much more time than that to come up with something and get drawings made, prototypes made, tested, evaluated and then changes made before they hit the market.

I'd venture to guess they'd been developing one and got yours (unsolicited I may add) and immediately tossed it to the side because they had already been working on one for 6 months.  Why look at yours at all and risk a problem like this?  

Why do you think Magpul doesn't take anyone's ideas?  Same reason.  Good companies with good ideas take time to develop them.  They don't need schmucks throwing crap at them and claiming anything was stolen.

If yours was such a great idea, you should have patented it.

From what I can see, yours is a simple brake, that's it.  

They made a flash suppressing brake, something much better and more valuable.  And to add to that- they didn't waste the time to add holes everywhere on the darn thing.  Why?  Wasteful and silly IMHO.

Sure they both have lightening grooves.  Yeah, they both taper at the rear so that the match the barrel's profile.  And yes of course there are opposing flats so it can be tightened down with a wrench.  Does that mean they copied?  No.  Get some class and hush please.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a chance to shoot my new upper with the XTC and have to say I was very highly impressed.  Rainier did a great job with this thing!
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top