Author
Posted: 1/7/2009 7:15:39 PM EST
I have a removeable ar15 carry handle that is marked MMA...... Can anyone tell me the brand or manufacture ?? Thanks
Ameshawki
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/8/2009 6:35:02 AM EST
MMA is just the forge that did the raw forging (Martin Marietta if I remember right). Who finished it is anybody's guess. Few if any companies mark carry handles.
JoeBud
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/8/2009 2:33:49 PM EST
"MMA" doesn't sound like a forge code. Is the lettering raised or is it etched on the handle? Do you have a picture of it?
"If its worth shooting, shoot it twice."
junkxp
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/8/2009 11:13:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By JoeBud:
"MMA" doesn't sound like a forge code. Is the lettering raised or is it etched on the handle? Do you have a picture of it?

not sure if this is what the op has but http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118353134
shamayim
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/10/2009 9:15:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2009 9:16:36 AM EST by shamayim]
Originally Posted By junkxp:
Originally Posted By JoeBud:

Looks like a forge code, but the seller is BSing on the maker when he marks it "Colt/Bushmaster". It's either one or the other––-or something totally different. Can't be both. Colt uses a higher sight unit than Bushie; by .04 inches. Bushie, and many other makers, use the slightly lower assy, so they won't have to mount an .04 higher front sight blade, or an F sight base on their barrels.

Frankly, I wouldn't buy the thing. Looks too used for what he's asking. $50 is as high as I'd go––-but then I'm a cheapskate.

JoeBud
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/10/2009 11:56:51 AM EST
Well, I stand corrected. Never seen or heard of that forge code. Learn something new everyday. :)
"If its worth shooting, shoot it twice."
Blacksnake
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/10/2009 12:21:02 PM EST
There is no difference at all between the height of a Colt detachable carry handle and a Bushmaster or one of the other ones. There is no such thing as military/commercial carry handles, they are all the same if they come from one of the normally used forges.

There is a difference in the front sight base - Colt, Noveske, Sabre, others use the "F" marked FSB and Bushmaster (and many others) do not.
junkxp
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/10/2009 2:25:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By Blacksnake:
There is no difference at all between the height of a Colt detachable carry handle and a Bushmaster or one of the other ones. There is no such thing as military/commercial carry handles, they are all the same if they come from one of the normally used forges.

There is a difference in the front sight base - Colt, Noveske, Sabre, others use the "F" marked FSB and Bushmaster (and many others) do not.

My bushmaster has 1.98 hight fsb just no f on it.