Author
Posted: 11/28/2008 3:33:55 PM EST
Recently I have ordered a Model 1 upper varmint. I bought this minus the BCG and charge handle. I figured I would get a LMT,Bravo CO or maybe a CMT. (I have heard of people having bolt failures with the M1 set up so I will thought I would just buy a different one) Does the bolt need to be measured (headspaced) to the barrel? I don't think you just slap it in the upper. I'm not going to war with this set up just want to shoot small groups off a bench or some varmint hunting. I would like a reliable set up, what might you sugest for a BCG. Of the 3 I thought of above they are all about the same price. I ran across a Dennys super duty for around $20 more. Are they worth it. Thanks much for your input.
THOLL223
The Spelling Nazi
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2008 3:43:25 PM EST
Bolt can't really be headspaced. Unless you have gauges. The only way to really change the headspace is try different bolts until it works with the go-no go gauges.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.” - Gen. GS Patton

Pie Fixes Everything

03FFL
Blue_Genes
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/29/2008 1:39:40 AM EST
So does that mean it's ok to buy a new BCG, drop it in a new barrel and go shoot?
"Why ruin a good story with the truth?"
Kerensky
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/29/2008 2:56:23 AM EST
Yep, 99.9% of the time.

K
chevyrulz
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/29/2008 1:35:01 PM EST
what's the other brand of top tier chrome bcg besides youngs, i have been looking for hours and can't find it. it's kind of polygonal shaped looking through the ejection port.
Blue_Genes
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/30/2008 1:35:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By chevyrulz:
what's the other brand of top tier chrome bcg besides youngs, i have been looking for hours and can't find it. it's kind of polygonal shaped looking through the ejection port.

Sounds like the Young NM carrier actually. I ordered the regular Young chrome group and I am very happy with it.
"Why ruin a good story with the truth?"
themcfarland
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/30/2008 3:48:04 PM EST
any BCG will likely serve you well. Be sure the gas keys are staked.. if your not sure what this is, do some Google work and check yours. I lean towards Rock river, colt, bushmaster. but since your not going into battle unless its paper or varmints then look around.. take time and research..