Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:08:12 AM EDT
I was hoping you guys could school me on this.  16 inch barrels with rifle length gas systems are referred to as "middys" correct?

What are the ins and outs of this?  I am trying to decide between getting an regular LMT 16 inch upper or a 16 inch upper with a rifle length gas system.  What are the pro's and cons?

Are there any reliability issues, or any negatives at all, about using a rifle length gas system in a 16 inch barrel?  It seems like the barrel being shorter would affect the pressure of the gas and how effectively the gas system works.  Is there any real reason they didn't design carbines like this in the first place?

The biggest attraction to me is the increased sight radius.  I love to shoot irons.

I also ordered an RRA 6-position collapsible stock.  Can I use the same buffer spring and just get a rifle buffer to put in the collapsible stock if I go with a "middy" upper?

Is CMMG the best option for a "middy" upper?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a cheap set up with a long sight radius but compact, then just get a mid-length gas system (hidden by handguards) with a rifle length sight radius.  CMMG offers one, but they also offer a rifle length gas system with 16" barrel, which is generally not reccomended.  They have everything though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#4]
You want a dissapator, not a longer gas system. Just install a low profile gas block unr the handguards with a "Fake" FSB pinned on, or a Rifle length FF tube on a 16" barrel
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You want a dissapator, not a longer gas system. Just install a low profile gas block unr the handguards with a "Fake" FSB pinned on, or a Rifle length FF tube on a 16" barrel

Yes exactly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes exactly.

Does anybody make one that you can purchase that already has these features?  I think bushmaster does but i want extended feedramps and I also don't want to have to get a taller front sight post.

The midlengths mentioned in the first few replies have 18 inch barrels correct?  I want a 16 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The biggest attraction to me is the increased sight radius.  I love to shoot irons.  

If you like the increased length on the sight radius, another thing to think about is running a  longer rail, and pushing out your front sight even farther.

Here is a picture of a standard midlength.
stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/AR15%20Carbines%20II/IMG_6652%201028%20WEVO%20Stick.jpg

Here is a picture of another 16" barreled weapon, but with the sight out farther.
stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul/IMG_2667%20Stick.jpg

Hey stick, what is the length of the handguards in the bottom pic.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
16 inch barrels with rifle length gas systems are referred to as "middys" correct?

No.  It means a longer handguard (by about 1.5", I think), a fsb moved forward accordingly, and a correspondingly longer gas tube.  Allows the bayonet lug to be functional with a 16" barrel, among other things.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I shot a dissipator with full length gas and a 16" barrel. It was the nicest shooting 'carbine' I have ever shot. I was very impressed by the softer recoil impulse than a regular carbine
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I shot a dissipator with full length gas and a 16" barrel. It was the nicest shooting 'carbine' I have ever shot. I was very impressed by the softer recoil impulse than a regular carbine

If you shot a dissy, it didnt have a rifle length gas system on a 16 barrel. It has a ML/CAR gas on a 16 barrel with rifle handguards.

If you put a Rifle gas system on a 16" barrel it wouldn't run.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wouldn't it be fine as long as you opened up the gas hole appropriately?  I understand that it might not be quite as reliable w/weaker ammo or in cold weather.  Sorry to hi-jack, but I'm curious as to why it would be a bad choice all around as I'm thinking of purchasing this for my next build:
CMMG's 16"  M10R w/Full Gas
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]
There seems to be alot of confusion in this thread as to what constitutes a middy and dissipator and the like.

*ahem*

A run of the mill carbine with a carbine length gas system has a gas system around 7" long.

A mid length rifle has a 9" gas tube, and results in smoother recoil with less pressure on the operating system.

A 'dissipator' can be two things. All have a full length handguard and sight radius of a rifle.
Some (like the original bushmaster pattern dissipator) have a low-profile gas block in the carbine position underneath the rifle-length handguards.
Others have a full length rifle gas tube in the normal rifle position. Alot of the time the gas port needs opened up (to .10" or so, iirc) to function reliably.

comprende?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't it be fine as long as you opened up the gas hole appropriately?  I understand that it might not be quite as reliable w/weaker ammo or in cold weather.  Sorry to hi-jack, but I'm curious as to why it would be a bad choice all around as I'm thinking of purchasing this for my next build:
CMMG's 16"  M10R w/Full Gas

That's what I have!!!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's what I have!!!!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/Farnsrocket/gun%20stuff/IMG_9495.jpg

Very nice!  How are you liking it so far?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:36:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I have!!!!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/Farnsrocket/gun%20stuff/IMG_9495.jpg

Very nice!  How are you liking it so far?

To be honest, I just got it together last week and haven't had a chance to shoot it!!
Hopefully CMMG made a barrel config that works...I would think so or they would be doing some work on it!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes exactly.

This is one of those things where I know that a dissy would work very well for me (I am at the age and eye condition where sight radius is VERY important) and the design should run better all things considered but DAMMIT it just doesn't look right! Generally I am all about function but sometimes form just plays into the deal!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted: it just doesn't look right! Generally I am all about function but sometimes form just plays into the deal!

I think it is an aqcuired taste. Personally, I fell in love with the look right away.....something about the short barrel stickin out and the full handguard.....gives it an almost shorter than 16" look.....I dunno, kind of an HK91 look.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Not trying to hijack or anything but I looked on the CMMG site and didn't see where I could get the mid length gas tubes.  I found the gas blocks but no tubes.  Maybe I'm just blind but where would you find those if not there?

Not sure where they are on CMMG's site, but here's some other places that I've had really good dealings with:
bravo co
Denny's Guns
Del-Ton
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top