BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 12:03:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ctalon] [#1]
I recently put a Magpul CTR stock on my Bushy and it is rock solid.h
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
So whats the word out there which is the way to go 1 bill for Magpul CTR or 1.5 bills for Ace Socom.  I havnt seen much on the CTR and very few bads on the Socom is why I ask and I am in the process of trying to get my stuff together for a build.
Link Posted: 1/29/2007 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats the weight on the Magpul CTR?
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
For those in the process of shopping...

Comparison pics of Standard / MSS / VLTOR / and LMT stocks on MILITARY MORONS (Scroll half-way down the page...) :

www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.furniture.html

Also has other stock info as well...Happy Hunting to all
Link Posted: 3/4/2007 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Originally Posted By ctalon:
I recently put a Magpul CTR stock on my Bushy and it is rock solid.h

You dont neccesarily need a Mil Spec Tube. They now offer the CTR in Commercial. Or you can get a full kit for your next build

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Magpul_CTR_Collapsible_Stock_Combo.html
Link Posted: 3/12/2007 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By BIGHURT:
So whats the word out there which is the way to go 1 bill for Magpul CTR or 1.5 bills for Ace Socom.  I havnt seen much on the CTR and very few bads on the Socom is why I ask and I am in the process of trying to get my stuff together for a build.

My experience with the ACE Socom wasn't so great.  I had the short one (standard I believe) and it only moved about 2" from all the way open to fully collapsed.  The locking gusset on it had an integral sling loop that was too high and would tear the skin off your knuckles if you worked the charging handle just right.  It was sturdy, but those shortcommings bothered me enough to get rid of it.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
With 17 pages in the thread, I may have missed it but, will the older Colt M4 non-ribbed 4 position stock body marked N and 1 under the lever, fit and work on a mil spec 6 position buffer tube?

I didn't know if there might be a difference in the diameter of the lever pin.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Link Posted: 5/25/2007 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Can anyone walk me through the install of a CAA 6 position stock(battery case design) in place of my Rock River 6 position.  My plan is to reuse the buffer/spring/tube with the CAA unit but I am unsure as to how to go about the removal/assembly.  I am sure the process is going to be simple but I don't want to screw things up by missing a step.

Thanks,
Wes
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 5:10:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mrs_Esterhouse] [#9]
CBS stock is bad ass. I like it better than the Magpul CTR.
www.commandarms.com

For installation instructions click this link and scroll all the way down (full of detailed pics too):
stock install

If you are reusing your buffer just take a flathead screwdriver and lift the pin slightly higher than
where it stops when you depress the lever. Then just slide it off and replace with the
new CAA.
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have tried the CBS
It felt very cheap to me.
There was too much wobble in it as well.

I really do not think it compares to the CTR but
I think its miles ahead of the standard coll. stock
most ARs come with now.

Magpul just puts out some GREAT stuff!
I am waiting for the UBR to put on my other Colt.
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 1:31:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mrs_Esterhouse] [#11]
Bah! The CBS is very solid. There is a slight normal wobble due to it not being clamped
down on the tube. It's easily adjustable without having to push in the lever to first
disengage the stock from the tube then adjust the length and then reclamp like on
the CTR. With the CBS you just push and glide like the M4 stock the spring lock takes
care of it all. It's heftier than the M4 stock plus it has a built in heavy duty rubber pad
and storage compartment. The CTR's rubber pad is extra money, much
thinner/flimsier, and is only secured with two screws instead of heat molded all the way
down the surface like the CBS.

I would prefer the Magpul CTR second to the CAA CBS due to the rubber pad setup and
and clamp/unclamp mechanism. I'll pass on all the other stocks compared to these
two; I think it just comes down to personal preference as to which is better
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I just read through 17 pages, Bid and loss on ebay for a 93b. Now  no one I've tried carries the 93b any more ??  The word is that the new UBR is  its replacement. The new UBR I do not like the way it looks and its untested. Where can I get  a 93b ????
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been wading through the first 17 pages, but since this thread started in 2004, I am sure a lot of it is outdated. I am 6'6" and the standard length of pull on the AR is just too short for me. I figure that I need around 15-16". Is there any stock out there that is anywhere close to this? I have looked at thick recoil pads and spacers for the buffer tube, but if I can make do with a relatively stock stock, I would like to. I would like a collapsible stock for storage purposes, but I have considered the Ace ARFX. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Mike F
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By JYogi:
I have tried the CBS
It felt very cheap to me.
There was too much wobble in it as well.

I really do not think it compares to the CTR but
I think its miles ahead of the standard coll. stock
most ARs come with now.

Magpul just puts out some GREAT stuff!
I am waiting for the UBR to put on my other Colt.

When will the UBR be available?

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Hello Wes-

To re-use buffer tube is easy.  First drift out the small crosspin that holds on the adjustment lever nut.  Use a small punch with unit resting on a chunk of wood.  Then spin off that retention nut on the adjustment lever.  Next put your small punch in and lift the retention bolt completely away from the buffer tube.  This disengages it from the adjustment groove and allows it slide off to the rear (of course).  Install in reverse.

Hello HKgnnr-

I have just received my MagPul CTR and like it... except for one thing.  It is 3.2 oz heavier than my current RRA Collapsible stock.  Magpul CTR weight = 9.2 oz, RRA weight = 6.0 oz.  I am using a commercial tube for it and that adds some weight as the Comm. CTR needs a rubber stock pad at the end which covers the exposed buffer tube when the stock is fully retracted.  Without that pad weight is only 1.2 oz heavier... quite doable.  I'm deciding which way I'll go still but the extra 3.2 oz is bumming as this stock is excellent with a tight lock-up and better check weld.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80sgyrene] [#16]
Nutnfancy,

You're doing this the hard way, just pull down on the latch instead of pushing up on it. It will slip right off the tube.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Roger that!
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By WKandU:
I just read through 17 pages, Bid and loss on ebay for a 93b. Now  no one I've tried carries the 93b any more ??  The word is that the new UBR is  its replacement. The new UBR I do not like the way it looks and its untested. Where can I get  a 93b ????

I just bought one from a local gun shop here that is brand new in OD for $185. They had a black one that may have been used, not real sure I wasn't interested in it. I can check it out if you want. I got tired of waiting for the UBR to come out. I love my M93B.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#20]
What about the Command Arms Stock?, out of all of these I was pushing too the Viltor but I really LIKE the Comand Arms. Any feed back on this piece?.
Thank You,
Chefgun.

We May Not Allways Agree, But We Will Allways Be Friends.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 4:34:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cnatra] [#21]

Originally Posted By Mrs_Esterhouse:
CBS stock is bad ass.
www.commandarms.com

new CAA.

Link Posted: 9/15/2007 1:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpha-Romeo3] [#22]

New Vltor EMOD stock in flat dark earth color

ETA - RH view pic

My new EMOD stock mounted on Vltor buffer tube

EMOD stock on my Colt AR6721 AR-15A3 tactical carbine with GTS-Rock Creek Operator midlength barrel and LaRue rails

How about the new Vltor EMOD stock, longer than the older club foot Vltor Modstock and LMT SOPMOD stock, more storage area, fits tighter on the buffer tube because of its improved design to increase pressure on the tube and a very nice built in rubber buttpad with a strike plate.

I got mine about over a month ago from Rainier Arms when they first came out and it replaced my Vltor club foot modstock, they're also available in black and green colors.

I'm very satisfied with all the improvements and would probably get another one for my next carbine build, take a look at the EE for stocking ARFCOM dealers.

More reviews and pictures here:

New* Vltor EMod Stocks Are Out ! - AR New Products thread link

Military Morons Vltor EMOD Review link
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 6:08:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJ] [#23]
Very Nice Rudy!!

You have Always had Good Taste & Know how

I have a Older VLTOR tele stock thats on my Bushy/LMT M4

Its Loose as a Goose!

I might replace it! with the Improved version

The Newer Looks WHOLE  ALOT Better!
I just hope it will FIT like my SOPMOD on my LMT M4

BTW  I also have a Larue cantilever / ML2 on my Defender  (More good taste)

Do you like How High the cantilever is?
I wish it was a TAD lower for a better check weld with my sopmod

Other than that its great repeats zero DEAD ON  after takeing off/on

Might get a magnifier?

I wonder if the eotech would work with a larue mount
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By FMJ:
Very Nice Rudy!!

Its Loose as a Goose!

Might get a magnifier?

Thanks Rich, the EMOD is longer than the SOPMOD and older Vltor Modstocks and fits tight on the buffer tube because of the new mechanism inside to make it fit tight.

You won't get disappointed when you try it, I'm very satisfied with mine compared to my old club foot Modstock and old LMT M4 stock.

The LaRue cantilever Aimpoint mount is one of the high mounts available and that's the feature that I wanted and also it has a perfect alignment with my also new LaRue Pivot magnifier mount which I will use when I get either the Aimpoint or EOTech 3X magnifier later on.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#25]
what is the weight of the command arms stock?  doesnt say on there website...I get 9.2 - 9.0 on my postage scale for the magpul stock.  I like the magpul a ton, very functional and nothing to catch on your clothing ect.... Great with both iron sights and scopes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 6:28:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wireman508] [#26]
Well I went through all 17 pages before posting this question. I have seen it asked but have found no answers.

My question is what are the dimensions of the mil-spec buffer tube (OD & Length). I have a no name 4pos. collapsible stock that I want to change out to the Viltor EMOD and don't want to buy a mil-spec buffer tube if I don't need it. But I don't know how to tell a Commercial from a Mil-Spec.

If anyone knows this info please post as I'm sure others would like to know and have it for reference.

(I just found the info I was looking for on MagPulls web site. Mill Spec has an OD of 1.14" and the Commercial has an OD of 1.17")

Thanks,
Dennis
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By freema22:
I have been wading through the first 17 pages, but since this thread started in 2004, I am sure a lot of it is outdated. I am 6'6" and the standard length of pull on the AR is just too short for me. I figure that I need around 15-16". Is there any stock out there that is anywhere close to this? I have looked at thick recoil pads and spacers for the buffer tube, but if I can make do with a relatively stock stock, I would like to. I would like a collapsible stock for storage purposes, but I have considered the Ace ARFX. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Mike F

My DEFENDER 2000 M4 Came with the SOPMOD stock wich has 6 positions?
on the Last position its pretty darn long!

I would get a six position  EXTension /Tube

or go to a A2 Fixed stock with a Added butt plate
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Alpha-Romeo3:

Very Nice Rudy!!

Its Loose as a Goose!

Might get a magnifier?

Thanks Rich, the EMOD is longer than the SOPMOD and older Vltor Modstocks and fits tight on the buffer tube because of the new mechanism inside to make it fit tight.

You won't get disappointed when you try it, I'm very satisfied with mine compared to my old club foot Modstock and old LMT M4 stock.

The LaRue cantilever Aimpoint mount is one of the high mounts available and that's the feature that I wanted and also it has a perfect alignment with my also new LaRue Pivot magnifier mount which I will use when I get either the Aimpoint or EOTech 3X magnifier later on.

Rudy

Ive been looking REAL hard at Larues pivot mount with the Cheap magnifier ALSO

Just to see what it would be like I held my Fixed 4x weaver scope up to my ML2

I think my ML2 with 4moa dot will work with the Eotech or aimpoint  magnifier?

I think a six would be even better
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 1:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ComradeOgilvy] [#29]
First post...this is a great site.  I've taken advantage of the accumulated knowledge a few times already.  I have a CMMG lower with the standard M4 extendable stock.  I couldn't believe how much the M4 moved and rattled.  Absolutely unacceptable, so I ordered the mil-spec Magpul CTR (like Colt and LMT, CMMG's buffer tubes are mil-spec) from LaRue, along with their QD tac sling.  1000% better.  The friction lock on the CTR will make a "pop" noise when released unless you keep a finger on it, but there is no movement and no rattle when it's set.  I'd recommend it as a suitable lower cost option than the Vltor or Ace products mentioned.

I'd also like to throw in here that I am now a LaRue lifer.  If I need it and they sell it, I'm going with LaRue.  The half-dozen purchases I've made through them have all been great products and great customer experiences...I feel like they want to earn my business, and they have.

Link Posted: 11/16/2007 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By ComradeOgilvy:
First post...this is a great site.  I've taken advantage of the accumulated knowledge a few times already.  I have a CMMG lower with the standard M4 extendable stock.  I couldn't believe how much the M4 moved and rattled.  Absolutely unacceptable, so I ordered the mil-spec Magpul CTR (like Colt and LMT, CMMG's buffer tubes are mil-spec) from LaRue, along with their QD tac sling.  1000% better.  The friction lock on the CTR will make a "pop" noise when released unless you keep a finger on it, but there is no movement and no rattle when it's set.  I'd recommend it as a suitable lower cost option than the Vltor or Ace products mentioned.

I'd also like to throw in here that I am now a LaRue lifer.  If I need it and they sell it, I'm going with LaRue.  The half-dozen purchases I've made through them have all been great products and great customer experiences...I feel like they want to earn my business, and they have.

I like LARUE mounts also

I have the cantilever

it hold a zero DEAD ON when I take it OFF/ON
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#31]
BTW according to the LIST under ruggedness

SOPMOD and VLTOR the same?

MIGHT BE TRUE WITH THE 2nd NEW VLTOR

but not the FIRST MODEL I have is no way the same as my SOPMOD
as far as Being as TUFF
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#32]

BTW according to the LIST under ruggedness SOPMOD and VLTOR the same?
MIGHT BE TRUE WITH THE 2nd NEW VLTOR but not the FIRST MODEL I have is no way the same as my SOPMOD as far as Being as TUFF
If you are assuming that the stocks are listed in order of most durable to least durable, that was not my intention nor does the information I posted infer that.

LMT SOPMOD - There were a few reports of the early SOPMOD stocks (not the LMT versions) breaking in during clearance drills or from being dropped. The new version of the SOPMOD stock from LMT is reportedly made from stronger materials to address this problem.

Vltor - Anyone hear any accounts of Vltor stocks breaking? Please share your experiences on this topic!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

BTW according to the LIST under ruggedness SOPMOD and VLTOR the same?
MIGHT BE TRUE WITH THE 2nd NEW VLTOR but not the FIRST MODEL I have is no way the same as my SOPMOD as far as Being as TUFF
If you are assuming that the stocks are listed in order of most durable to least durable, that was not my intention nor does the information I posted infer that.

LMT SOPMOD - There were a few reports of the early SOPMOD stocks (not the LMT versions) breaking in during clearance drills or from being dropped. The new version of the SOPMOD stock from LMT is reportedly made from stronger materials to address this problem.

Vltor - Anyone hear any accounts of Vltor stocks breaking? Please share your experiences on this topic!

Nope my VLTOR hasnt broke yet! better never
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I have the CTR stock on 3 rifles.  Just a great stock!  My only problem with them (and I have the problem with all collapsible stocks) is that my beard gets caught in the junction of the stock and the buffer tube.  I'm thinking of taking my Dremel to the inside of the stock, but I don't want to ruin it.  Or, I could shave, but that's pretty radical!
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#35]
While recently looking through the Choate website at rifle and shotgun stocks I noticed that Choate has a m-4  stock similar to the SOPMOD stock.  I know that Choate makes decent rifle and shotgun stocks and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with or had handled one of their m-4 stocks and could post their opinions as to quality and functionality.

11BLT
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
not trying to bust anyones bubble but there have been more than a few complaints about ace socom stocks breaking.

the alluminum nut that holds the catch pin deforms and locks the stock in place requireing a hammer to drive it out to collapse the stock.

i had 2 socoms both had this problem and atleast 3 of my friends had similar issues.

you might want to add that to the reviews.

mike

I had 2 of them do the same thing for me. I wouldnt ever buy another ACE product again..
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks Lancelot that was very helpful.

Link Posted: 3/18/2008 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I use ace m4 [ was on sell for40] and CCA saddle [batteries and check rest 15bucks] this combo feels like the crane function is great and cost is a 1/4 of the crane
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a stock RRA carbine with 6 position collapsible stock.  My gun rattles like fuck!
partly because the upper and lower have a gap between them and mostly because the collapsible RRA stock doesn't fit snugly to the buffer tube.  I hear u can get an "accuwedge" to fix the upper/lower gap/rattle.  My question:  If i buy a Magpul CTR stock for a commercial buffer tube,  

1) Will it fit?

2) Is it easy to install?

(Will it just slide right on the buffer tube like my shitty RRA stock?)

3) Is it really gonna remove the slop and be worth the $100+ pricetag?

thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#41]
It'll fit, it's easy to install, and yes it'll most likely make the rattling go away.  Is it worth it?  I dislike commercial M4 stocks and receiver extensions, the CTR is the only exception.  Still I'd swap out both the stock and extension and open up my stock options, then I can use the LMT SOPMOD, Vltor Mod-stock and EMod, etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 6:29:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redfisher] [#42]
You think maybe the new HkE 1 Stock will be a factor among the LMT, Magpul, Vltor competition?

Link Posted: 5/4/2008 12:51:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MSPRet] [#43]
Thanks for the link to the review and pictures of the Choate stock. It looks great at a good price and most likely will be my only 4 pos collapsible stock. Choate has a great rep for building strong stocks and has a pretty good customer service reputation....<><....:)
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I have replaced 2 m4 collapsing stocks for 2 vltor e-modstocks (carbine model).

What I like about the e-modstocks is that there is a steel plate behind the removable rubber pad which gives it more structural rigidity when subjecting the stock to impacts or strikes. The steel plate actually protrudes from the lowest point of the stock, making it a focal point for impacts.

The negative pitch at the heel of the stock really helps in shouldering the rifle quickly. If you are carrying the rifle across your chest with the muzzle pointed down the stock encourages your transition to a shooting position very fast.

The storage tubes are sealed with rubber lined plastic plugs that cam on and off the tubes. The diameter of the storage tube is wide enough that I was able to fit a .22 boresnake inside one. I can also keep extra rounds of .458 socom inside the tube. The length of the storage tube is long enough that I was able to fit 3 AA batteries per side.

I don't know the purpose of all the little holes on the stock but it provides you with 15 or so holes to fasten things to. Some of the craftier people that utilize paracord a lot would be able to devise some ingenius ideas with the design.

My stocks exhibit the slightest amount of wiggle/wobble when fully extended to position 5. Since this is a collapsing stock this is not an issue. There is a port on the top of the stock that allows you to visually reference which position the stock is extended to, provided your buffer has labeled position #'s.

The only peeve I have with the e-modstock is that attaching the sling to the left side of the stock with a quick detach swivel obstructs easy access to the battery storage compartment. Since the majority of the shooters are right-handed, a lot of the users of this stock will sympathise with this gripe. I'm a lefty so its not an issue for me personally. :]  In future models the compartment door should be on the reverse side, unless I'm missing something here.

Overall, If I had to purchase another stock for another lower, I'd go with another vltor e-mod. I believe the LMT Sopmod is over-priced, and Vltor delivers a better product for less.

On another note, as much as entry/striking is cited in this thread I'm a bit suprised nobody offers a reinforced stock with a steel buffer tube designed specifically for the purpose.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I have an older VLTOR clubfoot,  My only complaint is that the q-detach swivel does not have rotation limiters.
My question is:
Does the new EMOD have rotation limiters?
Does the Magpul have rotation limiters?

I currently have my rear swivel secured with paracord, but this prevents the quick detach feature of the swivel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
For those in the process of shopping...

Comparison pics of Standard / MSS / VLTOR / and LMT stocks on MILITARY MORONS (Scroll half-way down the page...) :

www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.furniture.html

Also has other stock info as well...Happy Hunting to all

That's what I eas looking for.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By IDK:
I installed an Ace SOCOM stock on a 16" lwt carbine with a KAC MRE FF forend on it.  .... It's a little heavier than the standard M4 stock and as a result, it helps balance the feel of the rifle especially since the weight is concentrated near the rear of the stock.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>The SOCOM stock is about 6 oz. heavier than the standard M4 stock.

what is weight diff from ace m4 socom to ctr (total package weight)?
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Are they any "extra long" collapsible stocks out there now? I'm 6'3" and find any I've tried seem a bit short for my arm length.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Casebrius:
Are they any "extra long" collapsible stocks out there now? I'm 6'3" and find any I've tried seem a bit short for my arm length.

I'm 6'7" and love my two LMT SOPMOD's.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm 6'3" and have the Vltor EMOD and other than the LMT SOPMOD it is the only other collapsible stock that is long enough for my arm length.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top