Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:42:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Balisong] [#1]
I received my ACE Socom stock, but unfortunately I was accidentally sent the wrong size; it was the longer one which is like the normal stock length when collapsed! So just a forewarning, there are two sizes to it. I'm waiting to receive the shorter version now. I have to say my initial impression though, aside from the length, is that I was very very pleased. Seemed to be extremely well made and I liked how there are 4 different slots to put slings through.
When I receive the right one I'll give more of a review on it here, but if that first one was any indication, I think I'll be extremely happy with it.

By the way, it mentioned in the instructions that it's meant for use with a carbine length buffer; I'm pretty sure that's what's in my current stock (Bushmaster Modular Carbine), but is there a way I can verify that when I take it out of my existing stock? I just don't wanna risk shooting this thing with the wrong buffer.
Thanks,
Balisong
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#2]
i also have the ace socom stock and love it! this thing is built like a rock super solid and feels good.

Balisong i think the buchmaster mod comes with the rifle length buffer. cause it comes with the rifle lenght ace skeleton stock and all mine of the same have rifle buffers originally
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Balisong - I also have a BM Modular Carbine. I replaced the original ACE ARFX stock with the shorter ARFX Entry stock. To do so I had to replace the original buffer and spring with a carbine length buffer and spring. You can order those parts from ACE or just about anyone else who sells AR-15 parts.

I wanted to let you know that you will need the new parts so that you can order them and avoid delays in putting your rifle back together. I hate seeing my rifle in pieces on my bench while it waits for a new part!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
For buffer identification here's a visual aid www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/buffers/

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/pins.html will identify your spring by length, coils, and dia.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Argent:
Balisong - I also have a BM Modular Carbine. I replaced the original ACE ARFX stock with the shorter ARFX Entry stock. To do so I had to replace the original buffer and spring with a carbine length buffer and spring. You can order those parts from ACE or just about anyone else who sells AR-15 parts.

I wanted to let you know that you will need the new parts so that you can order them and avoid delays in putting your rifle back together. I hate seeing my rifle in pieces on my bench while it waits for a new part!

D'oh!!! Damnit I hate that. I should have asked before I bought the thing.
I appreciate the heads up guys, I'll see if I can order those tomorrow.

So it's just the buffer and spring right? Everything else will work?
Thanks eklikwhoa, Argent, and AKMike
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys,

I have a beard and heard that sometimes those collapsable stocks can pinch hairs.  Is this true?  Do you guys have info as to which ones would do this?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:02:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mattld] [#7]

Originally Posted By Headlice:
Hey guys,

I have a beard and heard that sometimes those collapsable stocks can pinch hairs.  Is this true?  Do you guys have info as to which ones would do this?

I've read that the VLTORs will do that due to the gap between the stock and the battery compartments when they are mounted.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Hey guys,

Sounds like you need to shave all that hair off if you have headlice that bad
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By DM1975:

Hey guys,

Sounds like you need to shave all that hair off if you have headlice that bad

+1
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
anybody have more pics of the ace socoms? I'm looking at those right now but I cna't decide.. looks like the cheekweld would be alot harder htan standard types.. Just "LOOKS" lower I think or something like that. I can't really put my finger on it
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Flip through the picture thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=201315&page=1 You're guaranteed to see the M4 SOCOM as well as every other stock out there...

Originally Posted By Snaps:
anybody have more pics of the ace socoms? I'm looking at those right now but I cna't decide.. looks like the cheekweld would be alot harder htan standard types.. Just "LOOKS" lower I think or something like that. I can't really put my finger on it

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow. . . thanks all!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snaps] [#13]
Well after some looking and a whole lot of reading I've decided on getting a Vltor stock. I've just got to find where to get a good price on one without the club end and try to find a pad just so it will stick ot my sholder better. Off to EE i go

EDIT: Oh yea, thanks for all the info in this thread[  PS: I love that smilie[

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Well after some looking and a whole lot of reading I've decided on getting a Vltor stock. I've just got to find where to get a good price on one without the club end and try to find a pad just so it will stick ot my sholder better. Off to EE i go
EDIT: Oh yea, thanks for all the info in this thread[  PS: I love that smilie[

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
How could you do that when there are Ace Ltd M4 SOCOMs to be had for all? Madness.... UTTER MADNESS!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps I have lost my ever lovin' mind but I ordered it today
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By knightone:

Originally Posted By SAICO:
Rich was nice enought to let me buy his demo at SHOT 04.

Tail spike and reinforcement kit for breaching doors or ?

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-2/100771/NCEZX-MagpulStock.jpg

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-2/100771/UKKIN-MagpulStock1.jpg

I wish Rich would release the reinforced upgrades for the M93A for sale.  Well, I wish he would hurry up and start designing the M93B, but I will settle for the upgrades to the "A" model to hold me over for awhile.

anyone know what exactly the 93"B" is going to be about?   what is changed?

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:05:18 AM EDT
[#17]

OK, let me be a pain in the ass. . .

Rank your choice of stock in order of best to not so good. Any reasons why too. (NOW, before I get flamed ) Here's why I ask this  --> So many different opinions and so many different conclusions I am just trying to see a list of what everyone thinks (and why ) in a simple format.

Thanks in advance all!

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By danonly:

Originally Posted By knightone:

Originally Posted By SAICO:
Rich was nice enought to let me buy his demo at SHOT 04.

Tail spike and reinforcement kit for breaching doors or ?

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-2/100771/NCEZX-MagpulStock.jpg

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-2/100771/UKKIN-MagpulStock1.jpg

I wish Rich would release the reinforced upgrades for the M93A for sale.  Well, I wish he would hurry up and start designing the M93B, but I will settle for the upgrades to the "A" model to hold me over for awhile.

anyone know what exactly the 93"B" is going to be about?   what is changed?

I thinkm some of the things that have been discussed is reinforcing the tail section, QD sling points, and more ergonomic/organic feel and look.  Nothing is finalized, AFAIK, so everything is tentative.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By MJFRacing:
Rank your choice of stock in order of best to not so good. Any reasons why too. (NOW, before I get flamed ) Here's why I ask this  --> So many different opinions and so many different conclusions I am just trying to see a list of what everyone thinks (and why ) in a simple format.
Thanks in advance all!

Isn't that what this whole thread is?

I think you should also ask that people only critique stocks they have actually used. Otherwise this will simply be a volley of responses from people who base their opinions on form rather than function.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Originally Posted By MJFRacing:
Thanks in advance all!

Isn't that what this whole thread is?

I think you should also ask that people only critique stocks they have actually used. Otherwise this will simply be a volley of responses from people who base their opinions on form rather than function.

Good point pathfinder74 . . .

Yeah, I understand but I was just trying to get an A. "I chose this because the military/police use it. . ." B. "My second choice because. . ." C. Don't use _____ because of noise / poor function etc." type of finalization to this whole thread.

So, let me rephrase my question -->

What do you USE and WHY?

I really value all opinions here and my head is spinning with all the different choices and the "Whys".

Again, thanks for any input!

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#21]
This is one great thread.  As a result, I purchased a Magpul M93A yesterday from my local dealer.

I was having difficulty installing the buffer tube on my M15A4 carbine, so I sent Magpul an email this afternoon (Saturday).  I received a reply this evening and then Richard called me at home to talk me through it!  On a Saturday night no less!  Problem solved and the stock is mounted.  This kind of customer service is above and beyond the norm in this industry.  With this kind of service combined with the quality of the product, I have no hesitation in recommending their product.  They have won a very enthusiastic supporter!  Bill
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:56:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AK] [#22]
What's the best under $100 stock with buffer and spring? Who's got em and who ships em fast?

Thanks
M4-AK

Edited to say, I don't want to accidentally buy one of those Chinese stocks. Or do I?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#23]
The rock river arms 6pos is pretty nice.. It goes for like 90bucks or so.

It's got the thicker look if that makes any sense. Like hte new bushmasters instead fo the standard tele-stocks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#24]
You could get a Duostock for between $80-90.

Link Posted: 11/5/2004 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I kinda like the new Chinese unit that seems a lot like the LMT SOCOM stock.  Take the word "Copy" with a grain of salt, in that it has a battery storage compartment on either side.  Beyond that, the rest of the stock looks like a short "entry" type A2 stock fitted up to a six-position tube.  The whole thing, including the receiver extension was in a factory taupe finish.  Very nice.  Saw it while deployed a few weeks ago.  A Brit operator who had it and said he picked it up while on leave in the orient.  Who knows, maybe Leapers will have it at the SHOT show.  Seems extremely solid, IMHO.  BTW, he said he paid about 40 quid., figure, what, about $65.00?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2004 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I found the Tapco stock terrible, do a search on tapco in the barrels/stocks forum.  I am getting a RRA from Legal transfers monday.
Link Posted: 11/20/2004 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Ace M4 SOCOM .  It has to be the most solid and quiet of all stocks. Stops are solid and you have the option of adding a .5 inch or 1 inch butt plate for add length. I currently donn't use either plate but this stock will fit anybody when you think about it; it surely has the most options for length of pull. It's all metal and comes with multiple sling points that will not break. Slim and no non-sense. Very heavy duty. It WORKS period.
Link Posted: 11/22/2004 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Call me old fashioned, but I really like the old style 4 position CAR collasible stock. It is compact, light, and does its job well. With a 1" rubber recoil pad fixed, the reach on my Carbine is very comfortable, and still functional while fully collapsed.

I have tried the "new" M4 6 position stock, and an ACE M4 SOCOM. I still prefer the old collapsible to these.

I don't like the blocky looks of the Vltor stuff, though I have no doubt of their quality. The regular old CAR stocks are a lot smaller, and sleeker than the new stuff, making them easier to handle, at least for me. I don't find them loose or noisy, and for my purpose they work great.
Link Posted: 11/22/2004 11:41:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BUZZARD464] [#29]
Any difference in the new Colt M4 stock? Pics?
Link Posted: 11/22/2004 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got to put my vote in for the Vltor.  Mil Spc. tube, solid slide in and out, great cheekweld, excelent sling mounting point and swivel, havn't heard of one breaking yet (I have broken magpul), good price to feature ballance.  Not perfect yet, but close.
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I thought the VLTOR would really give me perfect cheekweld but I think the old standard Bushmaster 6pos I used to have felt better... I'd still like to try the ACE SOCOM but don't wnat to toss money away on something again that I don't feel is as well suited to me.

I'll probably end up looking for another nice Colt or some brand with no markings tele-stock and keep the colt H buffer in it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 8:51:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#32]

still like to try the ACE SOCOM but don't wnat to toss money away on something again that I don't feel is as well suited to me.

That's what the EE is for... people who buy thins they think they are going to love and end up not liking them. One man's junk is another man's $180 treasure...

I just ordered my M4 SOCOM. I actually did have a chance to try one out before buying it but I would have bought it anyway. If it doesn't work good on my rifle I can still use it for tenderizing meat.

ETA: Installed it with some minor hang-ups but it's on. I haven't shot with it yet but it feels pretty comfortable. I'll edit in a review when I finally get to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Congrats pathfinder74, you sure wanted that stock for a long time.  They are great. -TF
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#34]

I thought the VLTOR would really give me perfect cheekweld but I think the old standard Bushmaster 6pos I used to have felt better... I'd still like to try the ACE SOCOM but don't wnat to toss money away on something again that I don't feel is as well suited to me.

I'll probably end up looking for another nice Colt or some brand with no markings tele-stock and keep the colt H buffer in it.

Try it, you'll like it. It will not be money lost.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Installed it with some minor hang-ups but it's on. I haven't shot with it yet but it feels pretty comfortable. I'll edit in a review when I finally get to shoot it.

What kind of hangups did you encounter
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Wheelgunner:

Installed it with some minor hang-ups but it's on. I haven't shot with it yet but it feels pretty comfortable. I'll edit in a review when I finally get to shoot it.

What kind of hangups did you encounter

Link
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I like the 6pos better, but I've got a colt 4pos on mine now and took the vltor off.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I got my magpul installed around mid october and i couldn't be happier.  It is heavier than the ace socom, but with all crap(I mean accessories) i have on the front of my bushy,  It helps to balance the gun which i think is more important than lower weight.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I really don't give a damn about which stock is better anymore.  I just want to UNSUBSCRIBE from this current thread.  Yet, even when I'm logged in, the UNSUBSCRIBE button DOES NOT EXIST!  It just says SUBSCRIBE.  Which I've also tried clicking, yet it never will change to UNSUBSCRIBE!

Anyone else having this problem???
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#42]
The MAGPUL M93A is by far the best. There's nothing the other stocks do better, except store shit that is better off stored elsewhere. The Modules should be out sometime soon, that will satisfy those who feel the need to add additional  unneccessary weight to their weapons. The magpul weighs just enough to ballance the weapon when using a railed forend and a light, has by far the best cheekweld, is rock solid, and is made by one of the class acts in the AR15 business. It is expensive, but since when does expensive exclude something from being the BEST?

Link Posted: 12/19/2004 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Ridley originally posted:
The MAGPUL M93A is by far the best. There's nothing the other stocks do better, except store shit that is better off stored elsewhere. The Modules should be out sometime soon, that will satisfy those who feel the need to add additional unneccessary weight to their weapons. The magpul weighs just enough to ballance the weapon when using a railed forend and a light, has by far the best cheekweld, is rock solid, and is made by one of the class acts in the AR15 business. It is expensive, but since when does expensive exclude something from being the BEST?

I really like my Magpul M93A stock, but DAMN, when will the interchangeable tailpieces come out?

I saw some pictures a couple of months ago or so, but no word on when they'll be made available.

I want one that holds "AA" batteries...the extra weight isn't an issue with me because it'll help the balance of my AR which has a 16" HBAR on it...and a KAC RAS...and a KAC Vertical Fore-Grip...and EO-Tech 552.

+1 on Rich Fitzpatrick on being a true CLASS ACT!

Link Posted: 12/22/2004 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow, I now I've been gone for a while but jeesh. This thread is almost up to 50K reads. When I started it, I never would have thought my post would generate that many hits. Guess I need to update my info a bit and add a few more stocks to the OP. Thanks to everyone that's contributed to this thread!
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#45]
No, thank YOU Matt_B;

This thread is a great source of information. It's cuz of threads like these that I've been on arfcom for so long. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:
Wow, I now I've been gone for a while but jeesh. This thread is almost up to 50K reads. When I started it, I never would have thought my post would generate that many hits. Guess I need to update my info a bit and add a few more stocks to the OP. Thanks to everyone that's contributed to this thread!

Try an Ace SOCOM.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By M199:

Try an Ace SOCOM.

That is probably the only one I will be adding to data set in the OP.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By M199:
Try an Ace SOCOM.

That is probably the only one I will be adding to data set in the OP.

DUOSTOCK!! DUOSTOCK!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#49]
+1 for the Ace SOCOM stock.  It's well made, tough, and just damn SEXY!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Just replaced a standard stock with an LMT sopmod.  Quite nice. No rattles. Installed in about 5 min.  I'm going to put batteris in it as it seems a bit on the light side.  Very comfortable cheeck weld
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top