Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2004 5:17:15 PM EDT
ASA is offering uppers equipped with Lothar Walther stainless bull barrels. Apparently, this is a German Company that also has a US operation, but I have no information as to whether the barrels are German or US made.

The prices are quite reasonable for these uppers and the availability of black-stainless is quite attractive to me. Does any one have any experience with these and/or will like to comment on their virtues (or demerits)?

The uppers can be had with 16, 20 or 24" barrels, all in free float arrangements. The barrels can also be optioned with flutes, blackened stainless and/or ports.

I am think of putting togther an A2 upper with a fluted and blackened 16" stainless. This will be matched to an Eagle-Arms/Armalite lower -- with standard mil spec parts except the trigger which is a Jewell 2-stage part and the butt stock which is an ACE skeleton shorty (7.25" - Entry stock).
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I´m using a Lothar Walther barrel on my "20 upper and I´m really glad with it. It´s an OberlandArms assembled upper with DPMS receiver and Lothar Walter barrel 1:9 and a outside dia. of .936" . Although it´s quite heavy and not the gun you want to carry around all day ( I added a triangular alloy-FFH and the whole gun weights 6,8 kg) I´m everytime again surprised by the accuracy. The barrel is the highest quality barrel I´ve ever seen and it´s black coated with a high strength polymer on the outside.
The choices of barrel length and flutet or not is offered here in Germany aswell, but you can´t call the price for a barrel reasonable with 450 Euro (558$ ) for the barrel only without gasblock or anything else.
It depends on what you want : varmint upper ( 20" length minimum and a good trigger to use all of the barrels potential) or something lighter ( than you maybe wont need this barrel) Anyway the Lothar Walter barrels are great, german made and come normaly ( german market) with 1:9 twist . I get the bests results with bullets 60grs and more. ( GP90 , swiss made ammo with 62grs = 21mm on 100 m and 70grs handmade ammo = 17mm.) out of this barrel.
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quality is quite good for a target shooter, but I would compare prices with Krieger barrels.
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow! I looks like prices in europe are dear indeed. But, actually I am quite surprised that AR15 ownership is even possible in Germany!

Prices here are [b]US$579/-[/b] for an [b]A2 or A3/A4 upper receiver (Free float handguard, charging handle, gas block, gas tube, lock nut & chromed bolt+carrier included; buttstock/buffer not included) with a Lothar Walther Stainless Bull Barrel.[/b] All the included upper-half parts come preassembled. Barrel lengths of 16, 20 and 24" are available with a choice of either 1:8 or 1:9" rifling at identical prices. Fluting and blackening are $65 and $75 extra respectively. Porting is $125 extra.

That is quite affordable. In fact its slightly below the price of most other
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Owning an Ar15 is possible since last April. We were allowed to have selfloading guns ( 5 rd mags for sporting shooters and 2 rd mags for hunters only) but they had to look like sporting goods ( or grease guns ) and not like military equipment. But the new law allows us to buy gund in their normal outfit when they are build as sporting guns . There are some other restrictions that forbid us to have "war guns" and no ammo with less caselength than 40mm ( to forbid AK´s) -but thats pretty difficult to explain ( and I don´t know all of it) . The prices here are too high ( 350 Euro for a stripped upper receiver) . The only thing you can do is buying a lower ( and angrily stand the price ) and than surf the net and ebay for AR parts and good deals and most important for kind persons and dealers who sell and ship to Germany ( Thank you CJan_NH !!!!) The Thanks list for my 16" upper comes later on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is the best info for ASA I can give,
Since you are in the PRK go to the gun show where they are at. Hand pick your upper with the barrel of choice, Be nice about it and the blonde behind the counter will let you use go-no go gauge to check the upper.

I have one of the uppers you are looking at but do not use their BCG's or other internal parts for rep of being cheap chinese type.

E-mail for more info.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Whats "BCG"?
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whats "BCG"?
View Quote

Bolt Carrier Group
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Lothar Walther barrels in the USA are made in Cumming, GA!!!  [url]http://www.lothar-walther.de/us/[/url]
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Went to their website. But it isn't clear whether the opeartion in GA is actually a manufacturing facility or an importer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Lothar Walther barrels are excellent.  The only problem is ASA.  I have heard nothing but crap on this company.  Mostly on quality.

Learn from the mistakes of others.  Do a search and you will see!

Link Posted: 3/4/2004 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#11]
MajesticArms.com built me a 10/22 using their Aluma-Lite barrels which are a unique combination of aircraft grade aluminum and [b][green]high quality carbon steel[/b][/green]. The heart of an Aluma-Lite barrel is the button-rifled steel insert, which is manufactured by [red][b]Lothar Walther[/red][/b] for Majestic Arms.

For me it produces MOA @ 50 yards w/CCI Minimags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top