Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
So basically what i am hearing is UTG is the way to go?
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone have any info good or bad about Command Arms Rails systems.  I have a M4 Bushmaster and I was wondering if this rail system was good or not.  
Any recomendations?

http://commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=10&cID=8

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/moistmaster/guns/x61.jpg
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone got the weights on the Noveske branded SWS rails?
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know the weight of the VTAC midlenght forearm? I didn't see that in the chart. Thanks, Roben.
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 7:29:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: huntgrouse] [#5]
looking for top three choices in 2 pc. Carbine length 7"; rail forend.
no ability at this point to remove barrel  for free float type system.

what do you recommend. Looking for input from users of other systems. Always looking for that better mouse trap.
I have Sure Fire and Troy on two of my rifles. So i am familiar with them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Where is the chart?  I read the first post and it says four relays down.  Four relays down it says pulled for editing?  Anyone have a link to the old one?
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By huntgrouse:
looking for top three choices in 2 pc. Carbine length 7"; rail forend.
no ability at this point to remove barrel  for free float type system.

what do you recommend. Looking for input from users of other systems. Always looking for that better mouse trap.
I have Sure Fire and Troy on two of my rifles. So i am familiar with them.

DD Omega 7.0.  (Drop in and it free floats too.)
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there no longer a version of the chart?
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Krackels:
Is there no longer a version of the chart?

I was noticing a distinctive lack in the chart, as well.  What gives?
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:18:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dannynoonan] [#10]
Rob S has a rail chart on his site.

Rob's Chart
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have experience with Carbine Quad Rails from NCStar?  I've read that their optics are questionable.

I just want something for a vertical foregrip and my Surefire.  I can't afford a Larue setup right now.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/472fefee_3e08/bc/pictures/MAR4S-MAR4L.jpg?BCf8fpJBtlBTJiWP

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
this is probably a dumb question but im still trying to get a hang of all the AR lingo...... a free floating rails purpose is to do  what???
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dannynoonan:

Rob's Chart

On Rob's chart, how can the Daniel Defense M4 rail be lighter than the lite?
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]
We need to move the link to Rob's Chart to the front page.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tanner12oz:
this is probably a dumb question but im still trying to get a hang of all the AR lingo...... a free floating rails purpose is to do  what???

1.  Any rail's purpose is to allow you to mount things to the forearm (lights, verticle grips, sights, etc).
2.  The free float rail removes all contact with the barrel improving harmonics and therefore increasing accuracty especially when you really snug yourself into your sling.
3.  They look for 'Bad Ass' than standard handguard even if they weigh more.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I own a Bushmaster Carbon-15, my first and only AR (so far). I'm looking for a rail system to replace the handguard around the barrel. I've been looking at Larue products and was wondering what length I should get? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]
On a 16" barrel with mid length gas system, would the DD 9.0 Lite rail cover the gas block or would I need a longer rail than 9"?
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 2:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LAS1978] [#18]
A 9" would stop just short of the gas block.  A 10" would cover most of the gas block on a mid-length system.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a couple of weights to add to the chart!  emailed tory and yhm:

troy extreme rail with acc. rails, midlength 13.62 oz, rifle length 15.13oz

YHM diamond rail, mid-length weighs 12.4 ounces and the rifle length 14.75 (tech. said its the same weight as the lightweight rails)

PTK
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#20]
chart! chart! chart! CHART!
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Jrock82:
Originally Posted By dannynoonan:

Rob's Chart

On Rob's chart, how can the Daniel Defense M4 rail be lighter than the lite?

because the M4 uses a lighter aluminum barrel nut, with a slightly heavier rail. The Lite uses a stronger, heavier steel barrel nut with a lighter rail.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone know how much the LMT MRP Rifle length upper weighs without the barrel/bolt carrier group or charging handle?
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Solodevice:

If a few more oz. is not an issue the UTG drop-in is a solid unit.  I have a friend that has one on his carbine and he really likes it, and I am thinking about getting one for a midlength.  If anyone has had issues with the UTG drop-in rail other than weight I would like to hear them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ew22hba:
Originally Posted By Solodevice:

If a few more oz. is not an issue the UTG drop-in is a solid unit.  I have a friend that has one on his carbine and he really likes it, and I am thinking about getting one for a midlength.  If anyone has had issues with the UTG drop-in rail other than weight I would like to hear them.

UTG Midlength is 14.6oz for the rail with screws which appears to be in the range of the others.  They come with very heavy rubber covers for each panel which ad a lot of weight, pretty much nobody uses these.  Several of our LEOs bought these for their issued M4s and they all appear to mount very solid.  So I bought a midlength version for my ar-15.  Biggest problem with the UTG is it has a small UTG logo on them.

Link Posted: 12/31/2009 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By c5hardtop:
UTG Midlength is 14.6oz for the rail with screws which appears to be in the range of the others.  They come with very heavy rubber covers for each panel which ad a lot of weight, pretty much nobody uses these.  Several of our LEOs bought these for their issued M4s and they all appear to mount very solid.  So I bought a midlength version for my ar-15.  Biggest problem with the UTG is it has a small UTG logo on them.

Well said!
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:05:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC03] [#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]
FIRSH Handguard Weights are as follows:

F23R = .40 lb (pistol length barrels)

F8R = .70 lb (Carbine length barrels)

F85R = .85 lb (Mid-length barrels)

F7R = 1.10 lb (Rifle length barrels)

F8LCR = 1.45 lb (Long enough to cover a full 16" barrel to the muzzle.)

These weight includes barrel nut and locking screws

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone have the DD Lite Rail 9.5 FSP installed with Adams Arms carbine length piston system?  I know I want either the DD Lite 7.0 or the DD Lite Rail 9.5 FSP for my carbine length.  I'd just like to know how well the 9.5 and gas block line up, as in being flush all around.  (I don't want extra rail length past the end of the block)  If you have a picture that would be great too.  Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Is there a clear breakdown of the weights of all the different HG configs? I don't care to sort through comparisons that include other variables (FSB, etc...)
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone know how much the complete front sight base the delta ring and the barrel nut weight? Since these are coming off the rifle and usually get replaced by the rails proprietary components which I think are accounted in the weight presented in the first post, I'm wondering what the weight ends up being. Also, does any one know how heavy different low profile gas blocks are?

Cheers,
Alex
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#31]
No one can answer my previous post?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#32]
So like, what's a sweet, super-lightweight FFT for a rifle-length?

I have an old Olympic Arms quadrail that I scored back during the ban years and now really realize that the stinkin' thing is so damn boatanchory heavy madness that I'd like to run with a lightweight, slimline FFT. I ain't really need no dang quad rails, but I would like to be able to add on like a bipod adapter, a side sling swivel for my Vickers and maybe throw on a couple of rails at 1:30 and 10:30 for my flashlight and the sweet JP Short Range Tactical Sight (which I love).

Rock me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know if this has been posted before but heres a chart with weights and dimensions of the most popular rails..
chart

Brent
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:20:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mccray] [#34]
sorry if I missed it..I didn't read all 14 pages but is there any such info/reviews on the SWS line of rails i.e. Noveske forends. I know they are a bit heavy but they seem to get overlooked , considering they are a top tier ARs' stock handguard.

The SWS/Noveske union,I'm sure,must be an old alliance but you'de think Novekse would partner up with a more main stream company like DD or something. They would benefit from n ultra-light next gen rail IMO especially on their heavy SS barrels.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:22:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mccray] [#36]
Originally Posted By Slash:

Originally Posted By Mccray:
sorry if I missed it..I didn't read all 14 pages but is there any such info/reviews on the SWS line of rails i.e. Noveske forends. I know they are a bit heavy but they seem to get overlooked , considering they are a top tier ARs' stock handguard.

The SWS/Noveske union,I'm sure,must be an old alliance but you'de think Novekse would partner up with a more main stream company like DD or something. They would benefit from n ultra-light next gen rail IMO especially on their heavy SS barrels.

The SWS E1 is not heavy at all.  I don't have the numbers at hand, but it is lighter than most actually and much stronger/stiffer.  I've assembled hundreds of AR10 uppers, and I prefer SWS over anything else on the market.

Maybe you are thinking about the original SWS rails?

ok, that is good to know then. I have never taken mine off. I just read somewhere someone saying they were heavy...I guess they were wrong. I am probably attributing the extra weight to the rail when it's actually the SS barrel.

Why doesnt SWS seem to ever get mentioned ,here,as a viable aftermarket rail though? I never heard of them until I bought the Noveske
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#37]
OK, I'm new here.  First post.  I just bought a Bushmaster.  Click here to see the model

I'm sure some of this may have been discussed, but there's 14 pages worth of stuff I don't have the time for.

I want to get a very nice rail.  Could someone please explain the advantages/disadvantages to free-floating rails?  Also, any good brand reccomendations?  I like the looks of this one.  Is it long enough?  I don't know how long of one I need to buy for my rifle (see link above).

Basically I want to get the rail for my size of gun that is most like the one the military uses.

Any suggestions???
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Can anyone comment on types / manufacturers of Drop In Quad Aluminum rails that will fit a Colt 6520 ?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#39]
midlength rail is the lightest? If your talking non FF , looks like the MOE
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#40]
The MD ar15 shooters site seems to be gone. Does anybody have a new link to the handguards spreadsheet?
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Are any of you guys using this:

http://rainierarms.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/daniels-defense-light-rail-9-0/

Daniels Defense light rail. Looks and sounds pretty solid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I am trying to figure out which would be a lighter setup...the Troy VTAC TRX 11" or a DD LITE 10"

based on this: http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons
LW barrel with VTAC 11" (#40) = 3lb 3.6oz
LW barrel with DD LITE 12" (#34) =  3lb 4.2oz

to estimate what it would weigh with a DD LITE 10" instead of the 12", I use this site: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ#gid=0

which lists the difference between a 12 and a 10 as 15.3oz  -  12.5oz  =   2.8oz

subtract that 2.8oz difference from the original setup above and you get 3lb 4.2oz - 2.8oz = 3lb 1.4 oz

therefore, the DD should be a lighter setup by 2.2oz.....that sound correct to everyone?
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Camaro822:
I am trying to figure out which would be a lighter setup...the Troy VTAC TRX 11" or a DD LITE 10"

based on this: http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons
LW barrel with VTAC 11" (#40) = 3lb 3.6oz
LW barrel with DD LITE 12" (#34) =  3lb 4.2oz

to estimate what it would weigh with a DD LITE 10" instead of the 12", I use this site: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ#gid=0

which lists the difference between a 12 and a 10 as 15.3oz  -  12.5oz  =   2.8oz

subtract that 2.8oz difference from the original setup above and you get 3lb 4.2oz - 2.8oz = 3lb 1.4 oz

therefore, the DD should be a lighter setup by 2.2oz.....that sound correct to everyone?

it doesnt really make sense to me that a full quadrail that is only 1 inch shorter could be lighter than the VTAC that only has a top rail and generous relief cutting. are the DD lite rails really that light? if so what makes them so light?
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Those weights may include the barrel nuts that are proprietary to each...the VTAC one may weight more than the DD.   But I am just guessing on that.   I am pretty sure the VTAC weight includes 1 of their long and 2 short bolt on accessory rails that come with it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#46]
ive been searching for a few days now on FF rails for ar 10s and i dont wanna start a new thread just to ask so maybe one of you guys will see this and point me in a direction.

ive got a DPMS 7.62 oracle.. but i seem to come up empty handed when i look for a 10" rail.. i understand i need a low profile gas block altho idk which one to go with

is it possible to find a (roughly) 10" FF quad rail ?  that possibly ties in to the upper rail like the troy rail would ?

ive seen the 13.8 and some 12" but thats not the look im going for  10ish would be perfect

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Will the JP JPHG-6M Extended length fore arm clear  the gas block on a Noveske SPR barrel?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By davis9588:
Midwest Industries Extended Carbine length

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/davis9588/007.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/davis9588/010.jpg

what?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Hello

I have a Bushmaster E2S ORC and I'm trying to figure out which quad rail to get.

I want something that will cover the gas block and hopefully wont require any special parts or modifications to my rifle.

Any recommendations?  

Do all FF rails require a special threaded barrel nut?

Is it possible to just get a mid length 2 piece drop in rail?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JMiller613:
Hello

I have a Bushmaster E2S ORC and I'm trying to figure out which quad rail to get.

I want something that will cover the gas block and hopefully wont require any special parts or modifications to my rifle.

Any recommendations?  

Do all FF rails require a special threaded barrel nut?

Is it possible to just get a mid length 2 piece drop in rail?

Thanks

This isn't mid length, but it is a drop in FF from Troy. The Charlie Rail is a quad rail, but is a lot heavier than the gutted Delta Rail linked below.

Troy Delta Rail
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top