Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2017 7:48:54 PM EDT
How many out there have multiple uppers for a single lower?

I ask this because I have a complete high end build in 6.5CM and one that's...  well, in my eyes, not so much in .308.
The uppers/lowers are not currently compatible.

What I was thinking of doing is parting out most of my .308 "franken-rifle", keeping the parts I want and building a high
end upper that's compatible with lower from my 6.5CM.  Then, when funds are available, and in true ARFCOM fashion,
turn the new high end .308 upper into a complete rifle.

This would be the first time in history I'd have a lone upper in the safe.  Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Uppers are easier to make here in ban states, I have 5 uppers and 3 lowers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 14.5" w/ rds & 20" magnified that go everywhere together...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually have more lowers than uppers currently. The only lowers that have to share uppers are ones I run on SBR lowers. I do have dedicated lowers for three 14.5 uppers I have but, just haven't got around to pinning them yet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried that, drove me nuts.

Now I have a lower for every upper.
View Quote
Same here. worked for a bit, but got old especially if shooting with friends.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have more uppers than lowers because some lowers are SBR.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not in a ban state so lowers are not really a problem.  In fact, I'm fat with AR15 lowers in various stages of completion.  My SBR's all have dedicated uppers.  I'm just not 100% on my large frame guns.  With my 6.5 build, I cut no corners.  I stepped back a bit with my .308.  That's not to say my .308 is shabby by any terms.  But...  I don't think it's at the same level as my 6.5...  

If I go the "lone upper" route, it'll be a few months before the lower can be purchased and the build completed.  Will I go insane?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This would be the first time in history I'd have a lone upper in the safe.  Your thoughts?
View Quote

My thought is that this will be a very short history.

It really depends on your attitude. If you have the "kit" mentality, then you'd swap uppers whenever needed. I do know in the Navy SEALs community, they tend to have 2 uppers depending on the mission. They'd have a short barrel upper then a normal 14.5 upper for their kit. Most have to swap uppers depending on what they need. It's a easy swap because they carry around a pelican case with everything in it.

However we're not combat troops. Unless you have specific needs for the upper swap I don't see why one would do it. For example, for my Remmington 870 I have two barrels, one 20" for turkey hunting, then one 18" fixed IC barrel for home defense. Also I have two pump handles where one is the surefire flashlight and the other is the camo pattern for hunting.

I don't have any need for that with my ARs so I just get a lower each time I get an upper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Only my pistol lower has multiple uppers at the moment.. but that's only gonna last about 2 more days as all the parts for the new pistol lower arrived this week.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried having more uppers than lowers. Then gave up. It never works that way. I always have more lowers than upper. Then the extra lowers add more uppers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
^^^ Ditto ^^^
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
yup
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  It lasted about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm this way as well. I'll end up assembling an extra lower. Even on sbr length uppers, they will get run on an existing sbr'd lower until the stamp comes in for theirs. Same goes with optics and suppressors over time. Everything gets assigned to their own gun.

If they ever actually pass another ban I'd rather have extra grandfathered in guns if they do that again. Plus I'd rather have stuff setup for function.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
^^^^^

This
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I am too black Gun OCD not to have a lower for every upper. Working on a 6.5G right now and could not stand that I had a complete upper finished and fitted to an existing lower. I am now completing the lower for the completed upper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]
OK...  I'm as AR OCD as the rest of ya..  Really.  LOL!!

I'm looking at quality as opposed to quantity.  With AR15's...  I'm more than good.  Uppers, lowers, SBR's...  But my large frame AR rifles are just a bit lacking.

I have 3 large frame rifles currently.  A Larue which is a thing of beauty.  A top end 6.5 build.  And a 308 that I could have done better on.  With the Obama scare and HRC crap from the last cycle...  I finished it as fast as I could.  With MAGA in the WH...  I now have the chance to go back and correct my shortcuts.

Will a couple three months drive me over the ARFCOM OCD edge?  Or should I just leave it well enough alone...  And be happy?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I had more uppers than lowers when component prices were higher.
Once prices dropped I built lovers for the orphan uppers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With prices at the all time low currently, it's hard to justify not having complete rigs.

I kept a SPR upper unmarried for some time, used it for coyote Sept.-March. Even that lasted only 2 seasons.

Half guns drive me insane. Especially when a lower can be built for ~$150 using quality parts.

A buddy of mine does it, 5 uppers and 3 lowers all mixed/matched. To each their own.
View Quote
Lowers around here are ALL Spikes lowers which costs 100-150 depending. If I want to get one from online 70-75$ Transfer.

Add another 45-60$ LPK +30$ Buffer Assembly Almost near 200$ a lower. Pretty much 80% is the only way to go here. Not for long, as you need to register them now.

Take in mind every couple years you have to take a Firearms Safety Test (25$) +Our High ass taxes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:47:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Every time I build and upper it magically turns into another firearm.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:02:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I've done it before, a few times. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but then again, I do the 2 barrels 1 shotgun thing, too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I foolishly thought having multiple uppers for a lower would be really great, considering the modular nature of the ar15 platform, I could have a lower with a great number of capabilities. Then everything just started multiplying....
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. But now I have lowers that need an upper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lowers around here are ALL Spikes lowers which costs 100-150 depending. If I want to get one from online 70-75$ Transfer.

Add another 45-60$ LPK +30$ Buffer Assembly Almost near 200$ a lower. Pretty much 80% is the only way to go here. Not for long, as you need to register them now.

Take in mind every couple years you have to take a Firearms Safety Test (25$) +Our High ass taxes.
View Quote
If you self-serialize NOW (before the new law kicks in next year), and your build is featureless, you won't have to register your 80's.
And you only need to take the test if you're buying transferable lowers or complete builds.  Not for 80's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Only for my M16.

Building lowers is cheap for everything else.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I share a lower between a 223 and 6.8 upper.  I expect to have another lower in tge mix soon so they don't have to share.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK...  I'm as AR OCD as the rest of ya..  Really.  LOL!!

I'm looking at quality as opposed to quantity.  With AR15's...  I'm more than good.  Uppers, lowers, SBR's...  But my large frame AR rifles are just a bit lacking.

I have 3 large frame rifles currently.  A Laurie which is a thing of beauty.  A top end 6.5 build.  And a 308 that I could have done better on.  With the Obama scare and HRC crap from the last cycle...  I finished it as fast as I could.  With MAGA in the WH...  I now have the chance to go back and correct my shortcuts.

Will a couple three months drive me over the ARFCOM OCD edge?  Or should I just leave it well enough alone...  And be happy?
View Quote
Oh snap that type of rebuild will certainly prompt at least 2 more builds from take off parts!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#32]
This lower has 6 or 7 uppers that go with it. All of my other uppers have there own lowers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I have more uppers due to MG and SBR lowers.
Also my A2 and A4 clone share one lower. Usually the A2 gets it. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I have multiple uppers because I've reached my limit on SBR'd lowers and I'm not gonna buy multiple FA lowers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you self-serialize NOW (before the new law kicks in next year), and your build is featureless, you won't have to register your 80's.
And you only need to take the test if you're buying transferable lowers or complete builds.  Not for 80's.
View Quote
My point was that it isn't cheap to buy a bunch of lowers. I wish I could just pump out a bunch of 80s, but don't have enough time to do so.

I have a feeling that there going to make you start registering your 80s made before 2018 I think the registration sets in. It just seems like an easy progression for them to take.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I have 2 more lowers than uppers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I have more lowers than uppers. Can't stand having to swap uppers around for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I have more lowers than uppers
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I have more uppers. I build uppers for very specific purposes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:21:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

With prices at the all time low currently, it's hard to justify not having complete rigs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:56:41 AM EDT
[#41]
It has turned out to be an ebb and flow this last couple of weeks, now I have 4 uppers I don't have lowers for, so I guess it is time to mill a few more..

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top