User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suppose you won't be buying one, then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it solve a problem that doesn't exist? I've already said in my posts above that I believe it does, and explained why.

You say it stops the annoying rattling sound of the standard buffer, but that's not a real problem. At least not that I'm aware of...

You say it also creates a more even wear pattern inside the upper receiver, but uneven wear patterns have never been a problem, either. As I already mentioned earlier, it takes hundreds of thousands of rounds to wear an upper receiver out.

You say it prevents carrier tilt, but 90% of AR15's are direct impingement and don't suffer from carrier tilt. Another problem it isn't really solving.
I suppose you won't be buying one, then.
If he can tell me it does more than solve problems I didn't know I had, than I'd consider it. Until then, I guess not.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of whether or not there's any truly useful advantage to this design, and I'm looking to the designer for help, but I'm not getting much out of him.

Maybe there's something I'm missing that he hasn't yet disclosed. Something his buffer does that the other 15 custom buffer designs currently on the market don't do.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I never said a mil spec buffer doesn't have a dead blow effect. At all. I said the loose weights are not the needed for a dead blow. I said a weight being slammed forward when the BCG goes into battery is the dead blow effect. There's a difference. The weight don't have to by loose to do this, the weight just has to have enough movement to act as a dead blow when it's time.

https://i.imgur.com/d3U5xnN.jpg
View Quote
You're technically right, but don't you think that one solid weight would be less effective at creating a dead blow effect than several loose/stacked weights that may or may not impact consecutively? I surely do.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's funny, guys don't even second guess spending $150 on a single piece muzzle brake that costs less to manufacture (this sis what I do, I could tell you the cycle time on a Dragon brake), but complain about a $75 buffer with many moving parts and components. People say it solves a problem that doesn't exist. WORST case scenario, that's 95% of the AR accecory market.
View Quote
The more you continue to post whiny, unprofessional posts, the less I'm inclined to purchase from you.

But I'm not going to pretend I was incredibly interested in a product that solves a miniscule-to-non-existent carrier-tilt problem, and chalks up the majority of the recoil dampening effects to a rubber bumper on the tail of the buffer that you refuse to sell separately.

Some of the criticisms are unduly harsh and irrational, but by all means continue with your emotional, defensive, and victim-complex posting and memes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The more you continue to post whiny, unprofessional posts, the less I'm inclined to purchase from you.

But I'm not going to pretend I was incredibly interested in a product that solves a miniscule-to-non-existent carrier-tilt problem, and chalks up the majority of the recoil dampening effects to a rubber bumper on the tail of the buffer that you refuse to sell separately.

Some of the criticisms are unduly harsh and irrational, but by all means continue with your emotional, defensive, and victim-complex posting and memes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's funny, guys don't even second guess spending $150 on a single piece muzzle brake that costs less to manufacture (this sis what I do, I could tell you the cycle time on a Dragon brake), but complain about a $75 buffer with many moving parts and components. People say it solves a problem that doesn't exist. WORST case scenario, that's 95% of the AR accecory market.

This is pretty much where I'm at with this thread.

I thought I posted logical rebuttals to his product claims without being a dick about it and saying his buffer is a waste of time. I then waited for him to post back telling me why his buffer is awesome and why it does do the things I claimed it doesn't, or what problems it cures that actually amount to something more than made up fantasy land issues, and he responded by saying he didn't say something he did, posted a stupid cartoon, and then basically said we should buy his buffer because it's no different than the other 1000 useless AR products on the market which are easier to make and more expensive.

Instead of posting a cartoon telling me to show you where there buffer hurt me, how about posting some useful information that proves to me something your product does that will improve my weapon or help me better my techniques. And I mean something realistic, not that I'll be able to sneak around more quietly now that my annoying buffer weights aren't rattling.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After the buffer bottoms out inside the receiver extension and the carrier starts it's forward motion, centrifugal force keeps the weights at the rear of the buffer. Once the bolt slams into battery then centrifugal force takes over again...
View Quote
I have no dog in this fight, but the buffer is not subjected to centrifugal force at all during firing. I think you meant to say inertia in both instances.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have no dog in this fight, but the buffer is not subjected to centrifugal force at all during firing. I think you meant to say inertia in both instances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After the buffer bottoms out inside the receiver extension and the carrier starts it's forward motion, centrifugal force keeps the weights at the rear of the buffer. Once the bolt slams into battery then centrifugal force takes over again...
You're right. Correction made. Replace my use of the words centrifugal force with inertia and my point still stands.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In the first post of this thread there is a quote from you that states this. "People don't realize, with a normal mil spec buffer and loose weights, you don't get a dead blow effect when the bolt closes into battery."

So you did say that a mil-spec buffer doesn't have a dead blow effect, but you're incorrect. It absolutely does, and it's precisely when you said it isn't. When the bolt slams against the barrel extension the loose buffer weights slam forward inside the buffer and create the dead blow effect which prevents the carrier from bouncing rearward. How does you buffer do this at all when there's a spring in front of the weights which prevents almost all forward movement of the weights? Your design has effectively ruined the original design intent of the buffer by preventing the movement of the loose weights, therefore preventing them from doing their job.
View Quote
Hmm, I'll have to go edit that then. My mistake for saying that. Here's what I was trying to say; the dead blow effect comes from a weight slamming forward as the carrier starts to bounce rearward. Now it doesn't matter at what state the weight is before it moves forward. It can be loose, or held captive like mine. The MGI and Vlotor buffers also use spring loaded weights. So, my point being (and again, I was wrong if I did type that, so I apologize and I'm correcting it) is that a dead blow effect does not require loose weights, nor does the dead blow effect come from the weights being loose. The effect is what I described above.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If he can tell me it does more than solve problems I didn't know I had, than I'd consider it. Until then, I guess not.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of whether or not there's any truly useful advantage to this design, and I'm looking to the designer for help, but I'm not getting much out of him.

Maybe there's something I'm missing that he hasn't yet disclosed. Something his buffer does that the other 15 custom buffer designs currently on the market don't do.
View Quote
Post a picture of your rifle please. Let's see how many accessories you have that solve problems. I'll do it if you do. Buying a Ferrari doesn't solve any problems does it? But people do simply because they have more features and are nicer than mil spec cars....
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Always interesting to see how people interpret things.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is pretty much where I'm at with this thread.

I thought I posted logical rebuttals to his product claims without being a dick about it and saying his buffer is a waste of time. I then waited for him to post back telling me why his buffer is awesome and why it does do the things I claimed it doesn't, or what problems it cures that actually amount to something more than made up fantasy land issues, and he responded by saying he didn't say something he did, posted a stupid cartoon, and then basically said we should buy his buffer because it's no different than the other 1000 useless AR products on the market which are easier to make and more expensive.

Instead of posting a cartoon telling me to show you where there buffer hurt me, how about posting some useful information that proves to me something your product does that will improve my weapon or help me better my techniques. And I mean something realistic, not that I'll be able to sneak around more quietly now that my annoying buffer weights aren't rattling.
View Quote
Because you guys have already made up your mind. And no matter what I say, you'll shoot it down some how. You can tear apart ANY product if you try. That's why. I'm not emotional, I'm dumbfounded at times. I've said it over and over, but it or don't. I think it's funny how people who have never even seen one in person, are telling me why it's crap. And furthermore are trying to convince other people why not spend their own money on something your opinion is not even legitimate on. Then, you guys pick and choose what parts of the complete assembly you like and don't like. Then, criticize my business practices cause I won't sell you one component of the part you hate. That's all.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1. I would've answered these posts in the same exact fashion the buffer's designer did. He's not obligated to convince us why we should buy his buffer, because he doesn't give a damn if you buy his buffer. Its another option. Don't like the concept, don't buy it.

I don't see any reason why this buffer wouldn't work and the parts and design look robust. For that reason I want to give one a spin. Why the hate is so prevalent here I don't get. Its not like this thing was thrown together with toothpicks and bubble gum, or a completely thoughtless design. At the very minimum, this thing at least has potential.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hmm, I'll have to go edit that then. My mistake for saying that. Here's what I was trying to say; the dead blow effect comes from a weight slamming forward as the carrier starts to bounce rearward. Now it doesn't matter at what state the weight is before it moves forward. It can be loose, or held captive like mine. The MGI and Vlotor buffers also use spring loaded weights. So, my point being (and again, I was wrong if I did type that, so I apologize and I'm correcting it) is that a dead blow effect does not require loose weights, nor does the dead blow effect come from the weights being loose. The effect is what I described above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the first post of this thread there is a quote from you that states this. "People don't realize, with a normal mil spec buffer and loose weights, you don't get a dead blow effect when the bolt closes into battery."

So you did say that a mil-spec buffer doesn't have a dead blow effect, but you're incorrect. It absolutely does, and it's precisely when you said it isn't. When the bolt slams against the barrel extension the loose buffer weights slam forward inside the buffer and create the dead blow effect which prevents the carrier from bouncing rearward. How does you buffer do this at all when there's a spring in front of the weights which prevents almost all forward movement of the weights? Your design has effectively ruined the original design intent of the buffer by preventing the movement of the loose weights, therefore preventing them from doing their job.
The Vltor spring is in the rear and is very weak. It's only purpose is to hold the weights in the forward position for the moment that the cartridge is fired. With a standard buffer, if you point the rifle up or shift the rifle a certain way, the weights can be stacked to the rear. This would allow the aluminum part to move rearward quickly until the weights hit the front of the buffer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The Vltor spring is in the rear and is very weak. It's only purpose is to hold the weights in the forward position for the moment that the cartridge is fired. With a standard buffer, if you point the rifle up or shift the rifle a certain way, the weights can be stacked to the rear. This would allow the aluminum part to move rearward quickly until the weights hit the front of the buffer.
View Quote
Exactly. This is one if the things I wanted to control by holding the weight captive via spring pressure. Best way i describe this is loose weights act as a dead blow forward and rearward (going into battery AND extraction). May not be for everyone, but it gave me the feel I was looking for.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
You guys sure have a way of treating guests around here. This guy is trying to advance the state of the art, and all some of you can do is throw shade. Maybe we could talk about how buffers work in a sensible manner?
I'm going to buy one of these and toss the unopened package in my parts box, just to annoy the trolls by creating another sale.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You guys sure have a way of treating guests around here. This guy is trying to advance the state of the art, and all some of you can do is throw shade. Maybe we could talk about how buffers work in a sensible manner?
I'm going to buy one of these and toss the unopened package in my parts box, just to annoy the trolls by creating another sale.
View Quote
Hahahaha! I'm gonna make yours with extra love....
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
The original Colt carbine buffer (from the 607) had one long weight and a spring in the front. They switched to the loose weights by the time the XM177 came around.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes sir....
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting buffer. I'd pick it up if I had a piston AR.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:14:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's funny, guys don't even second guess spending $150 on a single piece muzzle brake
View Quote
I know, this market is ridiculous. I was always dumbfounded on why someone would pay $150-175 on a lower receiver just for the branding/rollmark; when that brand doesnt even make the receiver, they just put their logo on it and a finish.

I mean are these rifles or designer handbags?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1. I would've answered these posts in the same exact fashion the buffer's designer did.
View Quote
+2
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The original Colt carbine buffer (from the 607) had one long weight and a spring in the front. They switched to the loose weights by the time the XM177 came around.
View Quote
They switched to the newer design because it worked better with the loose weights.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Post a picture of your rifle please. Let's see how many accessories you have that solve problems. I'll do it if you do. Buying a Ferrari doesn't solve any problems does it? But people do simply because they have more features and are nicer than mil spec cars....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a picture of it. Tell me how many useless accessories I have on it. The only thing you'll find if you look hard enough is a Geissele trigger, which no doubt provides a huge improvement over stock. And there are many accessories that do solve problems, you're right. We're just trying to get some answers on what problems this new buffer design solves. Problems that realistically amount to something that actually provide a benefit or noticeable improvement when solved by your design.

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Here's a picture of it. Tell me how many useless accessories I have on it. The only thing you'll find if you look hard enough is a Geissele trigger, which no doubt provides a huge improvement over stock. And there are many accessories that do solve problems, you're right. We're just trying to get some answers on what problems this new buffer design solves. Problems that realistically amount to something that actually provide a benefit or noticeable improvement when solved by your design.

https://s2.postimg.org/7evwbe155/20170727_074013.jpg
View Quote

And what problem did the fancy trigger solve?  Does the standard trigger not make the gun go 'bang'?  You're throwing stones from a glass house.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And what problem did the fancy trigger solve?  Does the standard trigger not make the gun go 'bang'?  You're throwing stones from a glass house.
View Quote

If you've ever used a Geissele trigger you wouldn't have asked such a question.

Geissele triggers are far more durable than GI triggers, as well as being a far better trigger pull.

It's a win win with Geissele triggers. They have proven themselves time and again in Crane testing.

I believe the double or triple the trigger pin life span as well as the same for the trigger springs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Geissele triggers are far more durable than GI triggers, as well as being a far better trigger pull.

It's a win win with Geissele triggers. They have proven themselves time and again in Crane testing.

I believe the double or triple the trigger pin life span as well as the same for the trigger springs.
View Quote

I've used plenty of G triggers.  Yeah, they're nice.  They can make it easier to shoot tiny groups.  And most people won't shoot enough to make the extended life matter at all.  So like many other aftermarket parts, the value of the improvements can vary for different people.  It's not necessarily "fixing a problem".  If a buffer or any aftermarket part can improve the shooting experience for someone, it doesn't have to fix a "problem" to be of value.  This whole argument about "what problem does it fix?" is bogus.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this a serious post? What problem does the G trigger solve? What do you think it does? Compare it to a standard trigger and you'll know immediately what it's advantages are.

Half the time this rifle is scoped and I'm shooting past 200 yds. You think I could manage the same groups as easily as I do with the G trigger? Get real...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've used plenty of G triggers.  Yeah, they're nice.  They can make it easier to shoot tiny groups.  And most people won't shoot enough to make the extended life matter at all.  So like many other aftermarket parts, the value of the improvements can vary for different people.  It's not necessarily "fixing a problem".  If a buffer or any aftermarket part can improve the shooting experience for someone, it doesn't have to fix a "problem" to be of value.  This whole argument about "what problem does it fix?" is bogus.
View Quote
It's not bogus. The designer is saying it fixes this and that. I'm saying those things are made up problems and asking what it does beyond those claims.

I wanna know if it'll do anything worth the $75 or whatever it is investment, not just fix problems I never knew I had.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. G triggers are renowned for being the absolute best and the advantages are quite obvious.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is this a serious post? What problem does the G trigger solve? What do you think it does? Compare it to a standard trigger and you'll know immediately what it's advantages are.

Half the time this rifle is scoped and I'm shooting past 200 yds. You think I could manage the same groups as easily as I do with the G trigger? Get real...
View Quote

Yep, it's serious.  So you're saying the problem in your case is that you wanted a better/lighter trigger pull.  The trigger solved that problem for you.  It seemed like the argument before was that there needs to be something beyond just a preference for different operation in order for a problem to exist and require a solution, but I can roll with just preference being enough justification.  I do apologize if I interpreted the question about what problem it solves wrong.

So, if someone wants to reduce felt recoil their "problem" is that they want to reduce felt recoil to less than that of a standard buffer design.  The solution to that problem could be many things, this buffer being one of them.

ETA, now that I have another minute:

If someone wants to eliminate the sound of the floating buffer weights, that "problem" can be solved by this buffer.
If someone wants to address carrier tilt because their rifle does exhibit that "problem", it can be solved by this buffer.

There's three "problems" it addresses.  Just because those aren't things you'd prefer to change on your rifle, doesn't mean there is no value to the design.  I know guys that shoot very well with standard AR triggers, and I know guys that almost never shoot beyond 50 yards and just use standard triggers.  Those guys don't really have a "problem" with the trigger that is solved by a nice aftermarket trigger, but that doesn't mean they, or anybody, thinks that a nice Geissele trigger is junk or snake oil.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep, it's serious.  So you're saying the problem in your case is that you wanted a better/lighter trigger pull.  The trigger solved that problem for you.  It seemed like the argument before was that there needs to be something beyond just a preference for different operation in order for a problem to exist and require a solution, but I can roll with just preference being enough justification.  I do apologize if I interpreted the question about what problem it solves wrong.

So, if someone wants to reduce felt recoil their "problem" is that they want to reduce felt recoil to less than that of a standard buffer design.  The solution to that problem could be many things, this buffer being one of them.

ETA, now that I have another minute:

If someone wants to eliminate the sound of the floating buffer weights, that "problem" can be solved by this buffer.
If someone wants to address carrier tilt because their rifle does exhibit that "problem", it can be solved by this buffer.

There's three "problems" it addresses.  Just because those aren't things you'd prefer to change on your rifle, doesn't mean there is no value to the design.  I know guys that shoot very well with standard AR triggers, and I know guys that almost never shoot beyond 50 yards and just use standard triggers.  Those guys don't really have a "problem" with the trigger that is solved by a nice aftermarket trigger, but that doesn't mean they, or anybody, thinks that a nice Geissele trigger is junk or snake oil.
View Quote
Okay. You're right. I'm off to order a few. Thanks for selling me on it. I'm so tired of these loose weights making all this noise.

I'm putting one in each of my AR's. Should only run me about $750 for the upgrade.

Seriously, though. You're right. This may actually be the answer for some people who have certain needs. It looks like a very well made product, just doesn't fit my needs. I'm out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Problems that realistically amount to something that actually provide a benefit or noticeable improvement when solved by your design.

View Quote
Isn't this kind of subjective? I mean, people that actually own the buffer are saying that it was an improvement one way or another. I really don't need an extended mag release but I'm not one to say those products don't produce a benefit or improvement in no shape or form what so ever for anyone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#33]
What would be everyone's thoughts on a black steel parkerized version?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What would be everyone's thoughts on a black steel parkerized version?
View Quote
Wouldnt that add a step?

You're already making them out of stainless.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I dabble in guns, and I work in the auto repair industry, and do my own repairs. I have never seen a "dead blow" hammer that did not have loose weights inside.  It's the loose weights that absorb the bounce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... a dead blow effect does not require loose weights, nor does the dead blow effect come from the weights being loose.
You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I dabble in guns, and I work in the auto repair industry, and do my own repairs. I have never seen a "dead blow" hammer that did not have loose weights inside.  It's the loose weights that absorb the bounce.

They don't put springs in a dead-blow hammer because it would increase the cost and nobody cares about being quiet while wielding a dead-blow hammer.  
On the other hand, humping around an AR while trying to stalk game and having your weights rattling like box of Chiclets can be somewhat annoying.  
From the info the designer already provided us, he mentioned that he played around with different springs until he achieved his desired result, quiet weights while still maintaining a dead-blow effect.  

My guess is that the spring was dropped from the original Colt design because of mass production costs rather than some magical property of floating buffer weights.  
We're probably talking about a few ounces difference in force; something that could be easily compensated for with slightly heavier weights.  (Hmmm, like an H buffer)

I think the one thing a lot of folks are overlooking here is that the designer started out to make a buffer for his own personal use, to satisfy his own wants/needs/expectations.  
Some friends of his tried it out and liked what it did, so he sold them some.  They liked them enough that he started selling them to other people.  
Apparently, they see (or at least think they see), some benefit in his design.  So users that have actually tried his product feel there's a benefit.  
Time will tell, obviously, as to how well it lives up to expectations.  

When mine comes in, it ain't going in a box on the bench.  It's going straight into my p-dog rifle and I'm gonna run the shit out of it.  
I've been through at least 1,000 rds in the past month-and-a-half and I'll probably shoot through another 1,000+ before Winter gets here.  
The gun is running flawlessly with an H-buffer in it right now, so any problems that show up should be easy to recognize.  I'll be sure and follow up in this thread after I put some rounds down the pipe.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone remember when a company named Magpul was called snake oil?...Polymer Magazines will never last....  

Pepperidge Farms remembers.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wouldnt that add a step?

View Quote
But Black is Black ops.....

My black ops is blacker than yours....

MAHA
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wouldnt that add a step?

View Quote
It adds a step on the manufacturing side yes. But, talking with a few natianal distributors, keeping them 17-4 may not be doable. 17-4 is WAAAAY overkill. Only reason I did it was because that's what I wanted. There would be no change on the retail end other than they would be black now. Which, I've had a few requests for. No weight change (well a few grams literally), no performance change. Only hingvthe retail end will see is a black buffer instead of silver. I would appreciate feedback...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Black or silver really wouldn't matter to me. It's going to be hidden inside the buffer tube anyway.
Only thing that would possibly matter is the corrosion aspect of the metal. Yes, it would be coated. But if the coating becomes compromised, does the underlying metal fight off corrosion decently?  
Personally, I'd rather see a black nitride finish instead of parkerizing if you decide to go that route. Also, this is Arfcom; the correct answer is Get Both!  
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They don't put springs in a dead-blow hammer because it would increase the cost and nobody cares about being quiet while wielding a dead-blow hammer.  
On the other hand, humping around an AR while trying to stalk game and having your weights rattling like box of Chiclets can be somewhat annoying.  
From the info the designer already provided us, he mentioned that he played around with different springs until he achieved his desired result, quiet weights while still maintaining a dead-blow effect.  

My guess is that the spring was dropped from the original Colt design because of mass production costs rather than some magical property of floating buffer weights.  
We're probably talking about a few ounces difference in force; something that could be easily compensated for with slightly heavier weights.  (Hmmm, like an H buffer)

I think the one thing a lot of folks are overlooking here is that the designer started out to make a buffer for his own personal use, to satisfy his own wants/needs/expectations.  
Some friends of his tried it out and liked what it did, so he sold them some.  They liked them enough that he started selling them to other people.  
Apparently, they see (or at least think they see), some benefit in his design.  So users that have actually tried his product feel there's a benefit.  

When mine comes in, it ain't going in a box on the bench.  It's going straight into my p-dog rifle and I'm gonna run the shit out of it.  
I've been through at least 1,000 rds in the past month-and-a-half and I'll probably shoot through another 1,000+ before Winter gets here.  
The gun is running flawlessly with an H-buffer in it right now, so any problems that show up should be easy to recognize.  I'll be sure and follow up in this thread after I put some rounds down the pipe.
View Quote
Part in red is just
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Black or silver really wouldn't matter to me. It's going to be hidden inside the buffer tube anyway.
Only thing that would possibly matter is the corrosion aspect of the metal. Yes, it would be coated. But if the coating becomes compromised, does the underlying metal fight off corrosion decently?  
Personally, I'd rather see a black nitride finish instead of parkerizing if you decide to go that route. Also, this is Arfcom; the correct answer is Get Both!  
View Quote
I'm looking into nitride and parkerizing. I can do parkerizing in house. I'm not real worried about corrosion issues, there's very little contact points and there's other parts on an AR that require an oil wipe every once and a while. we'll see, I'm leaning towards a steel body instead of stainless from here on out
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I will only buy one if you make it out of inconel.

or cat cheese.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I will only buy one if you make it out of inconel.

or cat cheese.
View Quote
Solid tungsten? Anyone want a 4 pound buffer?!
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Solid tungsten? Anyone want a 4 pound buffer?!
View Quote
Sorry, I'm tier 0 and only run uranium buffers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:34:35 AM EDT
[#45]
I just bought two of these. Won't be back home to try them before a month or so, but I am genuinely sure they at least work as claimed to. 
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Part in red is just
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part in red is just

The part in red might be slight hyperbole.  But Goddammit, it rattles.  And it's somewhat annoying.  
Not as annoying as a CCI mini-mag rattling in a shirt pocket, but probably about on par with your shitpost to my reply.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Part in red is just
View Quote
I thought the same, but you beat me to the punch. Sounds like a reach just to justify a "solution" to those annoying buffer weights. How about doing more shooting and less walking around your living room with your rifle and I bet you'll never notice your buffer weights rattling.

I hate it when I'm stalking squirrels with my super tactical 5.56 and those noisey buffer weights give away my position every time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The part in red might be slight hyperbole.  But Goddammit, it rattles.  And it's somewhat annoying.  
Not as annoying as a CCI mini-mag rattling in a shirt pocket, but probably about on par with your shitpost to my reply.  
View Quote
I can't recall the last time I heard my buffer weights rattling while walking around with my rifle.

I mean sure, they rattle if I take the buffer out and shake it....but not when I'm walking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I thought the same, but you beat me to the punch. Sounds like a reach just to justify those annoying buffer weights. How about doing more shooting and less walking around your living room with your rifle and I bet you'll never notice your buffer weights rattling.

I hate it when I'm stalking squirrels with my super tactical 5.56 and those noisey buffer weights give away my position every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part in red is just
I thought the same, but you beat me to the punch. Sounds like a reach just to justify those annoying buffer weights. How about doing more shooting and less walking around your living room with your rifle and I bet you'll never notice your buffer weights rattling.

I guess you missed the part in my post where I mentioned I'd been through at least 1,000 rounds in the last month-and-a-half hunting p-dogs.  Not Battlefield Las Vegas numbers, but still.  
Then you missed the part in my reply to joglee where I admitted that it was "a reach" (aka slight hyperbole) as far as stalking animals. (or night-ops in Mom's basement for that matter)

Truthfully, it doesn't have a whole lot to do with any worry about "giving away my position", it's just an annoying rattle that doesn't have to be there.  I want it gone.
Specifically, I've got one AR (out of several) that through some mysterious convergence of harmonics is a helluva lot noisier than the others.  I'm guessing other people might, too.  It happens.  

Speaking of harmonics, I've got a FF handguard on an Aero M4E1 upper that used to ring like a bell for a good 1 1/2 seconds every time I tripped the bolt catch.  Like a damned metal-rod wind chime.  
Luckily, a section of pic rail to mount my bipod made it go away, the tier 1 tactical rubber bands weren't holding up well in the field.  

The point is, some ARs have annoying quirks that make them noisier than others.  When that happens, people look for a "fix" to bring them more in line with their expectations.  That's it.  
If this buffer happens to meet those expectations and also functions reliably, then its done its job.  
At the end of the day, it's a want, not a need.  That's the great thing about the accessory market.  

--No hard feelings to either of you two.  Differing opinions and viewpoints are what drive these discussions.  

On that note, you shoot squirrels with a 5.56?  

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I guess you missed the part in my post where I mentioned I'd been through at least 1,000 rounds in the last month-and-a-half hunting p-dogs.  Not Battlefield Las Vegas numbers, but still.  
Then you missed the part in my reply to joglee where I admitted that it was "a reach" (aka slight hyperbole) as far as stalking animals. (or night-ops in Mom's basement for that matter)

Truthfully, it doesn't have a whole lot to do with any worry about "giving away my position", it's just an annoying rattle that doesn't have to be there.  I want it gone.
Specifically, I've got one AR (out of several) that through some mysterious convergence of harmonics is a helluva lot noisier than the others.  I'm guessing other people might, too.  It happens.  

Speaking of harmonics, I've got a FF handguard on an Aero M4E1 upper that used to ring like a bell for a good 1 1/2 seconds every time I tripped the bolt catch.  Like a damned metal-rod wind chime.  
Luckily, a section of pic rail to mount my bipod made it go away, the tier 1 tactical rubber bands weren't holding up well in the field.  

The point is, some ARs have annoying quirks that make them noisier than others.  When that happens, people look for a "fix" to bring them more in line with their expectations.  That's it.  
If this buffer happens to meet those expectations and also functions reliably, then its done its job.  
At the end of the day, it's a want, not a need.  That's the great thing about the accessory market.  

--No hard feelings to either of you two.  Differing opinions and viewpoints are what drive these discussions.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part in red is just

I know. I was just f*%kin' with you because I couldn't imagine what animals you'd be out "stalking" with your AR. That's where the squirrel thing came from. Lol
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top