Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2017 12:05:26 AM EDT
Fellows, I need some  input on this setup, mainly the light options. I built this for my boy and he loves the sights but also likes the light setup currently and has been using it that way. Am I right for saying to change to a different light like another Streamlight or Surefire (or Inforce wmlx at least) with a PP and especially because that's his slung side?? Light setup looks too busy/bulky IMO and rechargeablea make it a bad idea, am I right?

Opinions please good or NFG? Thx.

Eta. Btw, barrel is a YHM with MI 12"ff quad, BM receivers. Great shooter though, moa or less with 223MKD(77g Fiocchi).

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with the setup as is. If your son likes the setup and it fulfills the usage requirements, I don't see any pressing need to replace it as long as you trust the reliability of the light (I personally only use Surefire atm).

Could it be a bit less bulky and more streamlined? Sure. Optimally, I would say run an M300C in a Gear Sector offset mount at 11 o'clock using thumb activation of the clicky switch. With the Gear Sector mount you'd still have the option to trigger it from the opposite side. I like to avoid pressure switches and wires, but that is just my preference. I also run almost all my lights on the slung side because I like to use thumb activation; the M300 in a GS mount is so compact and lightweight I don't even notice it's there until I need it. So, an M300C would definitely shave some weight and be a lot more compact if that's the goal.

If I were to run a pressure switch, the SF SR07 is pretty damn nice. I especially like it offers momentary and constant on in the same location and small package, plus a built in rail mount. In that vein, another great option would be an SF M600U with a pressure switch, using either the factory mount at 3 o'clock or offset at 1 o'clock. You couldn't really go wrong with either of those, it just depends on what you/your son prefer and the primary use of the rifle.  

I think rechargeable is perfectly fine as long as you understand their requirements and limitations (keeping the batteries freshly topped off in the charger; knowing that long term storage isn't really practical, etc.). They aren't applicable for every situation, but they are certainly viable, not to mention cost effective, as long as they are used properly.

To summarize, if you trust the reliability of the light and your son finds the setup comfortable, I wouldn't say you absolutely need to change it unless it just doesn't meet the usage requirements. Of course, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a shiny new M300 or M600, either :D.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#2]
How's it shoot?

I can't tell anything from info or pics.

Things I'd care most about are the quality of the parts and how it shoots.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The build looks good and since you're not asking about accuracy I'll stick to the question at hand. If you're fine tuning ergonomics and looks I'd go with a side or 45* mounted light. If budget doesn't matter you might look at Haley Strategic lights, they have the mount built into the light housing and therefore are a lower profile.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say you're wrong (at least on the placement) for telling him where his light needs to be.  Unless he's doing something incredibly stupid, let him use what works for him, not what you think looks better.  If it ends up not working out for him, let him figure out where it needs to be to work comfortably.  Everyone is different.

As for the type of light, is it some cheap chicom unit?  If so, yeah, I'd say stepping up to something like a G2X Tactical would be beneficial and cost effective.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#5]
@krdt...thanks for your post. I agree with ya and you make some good points. 1 or 3 o'clock is my preference too.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How's it shoot?

I can't tell anything from info or pics.

Things I'd care most about are the quality of the parts and how it shoots.
View Quote
Pretty decent I think.  This is from last week, still getting some fliers on first pull, tight after the reset. Bottom is 5x scoped at 100 and top is MRD at 50.
77MKD factory loads.

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The build looks good and since you're not asking about accuracy I'll stick to the question at hand. If you're fine tuning ergonomics and looks I'd go with a side or 45* mounted light. If budget doesn't matter you might look at Haley Strategic lights, they have the mount built into the light housing and therefore are a lower profile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks. I'd think he'd be better off with 45° mounted light too or maybe an Inforce wmlx to slim it down and be ergonomic/easier to use.

Quoted:
I would say you're wrong (at least on the placement) for telling him where his light needs to be.  Unless he's doing something incredibly stupid, let him use what works for him, not what you think looks better.  If it ends up not working out for him, let him figure out where it needs to be to work comfortably.  Everyone is different.

As for the type of light, is it some cheap chicom unit?  If so, yeah, I'd say stepping up to something like a G2X Tactical would be beneficial and cost effective.
It's a Streamlight Strion, so yes, chicom. You're right, it's ultimately up to him and it seems to function good for him as is. I just personally don't care for the light and bulk, so I'm just trying to explain and show him there are better options.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
1. Move front sling attachment back closer to receiver so you have more grip access to rail.
2. Move MagPul vfg forward and use it as a handstop with thumb facing target (no beer can hold).

Looks fine but a bit heavy.  What's the weight?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Opinions are like assholes, but I'd put the sling closer to the receiver to be out of the way of his front hand and the light.

I'd put the light on an offset mount like the VTAC  that's been around forever, to get it high and tight at 11 o'clock.

Does any rifle really need a foregrip? That's extreme personal preference.  I don't like em, except on subguns.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1. Move front sling attachment back closer to receiver so you have more grip access to rail.
2. Move MagPul vfg forward and use it as a handstop with thumb facing target (no beer can hold).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good points, especially with using the vfg as handstop. I thought about moving the fsa back too, will see how that works out for him.
Haven't weighed it yet but with that optic I'm not doubting pushing 9 lbs or so. Boy is bigger than me so he doesn't mind it, but is certainly the heaviest of even all my AR's. Thanks.

Quoted:
Opinions are like assholes, but I'd put the sling closer to the receiver to be out of the way of his front hand and the light.

I'd put the light on an offset mount like the VTAC  that's been around forever, to get it high and tight at 11 o'clock.

Does any rifle really need a foregrip? That's extreme personal preference.  I don't like em, except on subguns.
My ideal setup is what you mentioned, offset and at least tucked in tighter to the rail. IMO the Strion mount has to go. I think I just need him to play with my setups some more to show him there's better options than how it stands. I like my light at 1 or 3°clock and tucked tight as possible.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Another light mounting option is a pistol type WML mounted at 12:00 o'clock on the pic rail with the front MBUS behind it.
The advantage is ambidextrous control and weight brought back and centered.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Too much to discuss before I get some essential info.

Enter it in this challenge.  Then assess each and every feature of the rifle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1950750_SHTF-Shooting-Challenge---Testing-Shooters---Not-Equipment---.html
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks heavy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]
If I was worried I would get him a surefire/pressure pad and explain to him the difference in track record/durability.

If he ends up wanting to stick with what he's got, you got yourself a new surefire. And that's NEVER a bad thing. I'm actually needing another myself.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks fellows, taking all these posts into consideration and will keep trying to explain to him/show him these better options (which I'm in all agreement with). Appreciate any and all of the good and bad criticism, to show him it's in his best interest to try something easier. Or maybe I'll just end up with an extra Surefire
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks heavy.
View Quote
It is. The scope and light/mount are heavy. Also keep in mind I shot it with Burris's  AR536 CQB reticle I gave em and had to adjust first shot as shown above, I told em I'm not giving up some good glass when he can afford it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I see you speaking of weight concerns.  Full disclosure: I'm a certified hater of quad rails. That said, I'm thinking your boy might enjoy shooting it offhand a WHOLE lot more if you dropped a KMR or lightweight Mlok rail on there. But, of course, he might have more difficulty acting out Navy Seal fantasies.  My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I see you speaking of weight concerns.  Full disclosure: I'm a certified hater of quad rails. That said, I'm thinking your boy might enjoy shooting it offhand a WHOLE lot more if you dropped a KMR or lightweight Mlok rail on there. But, of course, he might have more difficulty acting out Navy Seal fantasies.  My 2 cents.
View Quote
That's exactly what I've tried. I've personally geared away most of my rifles from quads and have moved to MLok. He has shot a few and doesn't care. Granted I built this mostly out of what I had extra minus the bbl. I actually let him read my thread about him so he knows I'm not full of shit with how I run my rigs(pretty much what has been mentioned has been suggested at one time or another). I don't know, different strokes for different folks I guess.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#18]
The height over bore of that reflex red dot is quite extreme. You son should try shooting some close in targets of varying distances with it, say 5 to 15 yards. I set up a rifle up for competitions with targets that range from 5 to 450 yards, and put a reflex red dot on top of my scope. I eventually figured out the height over bore was causing me more problems than the red dot solved for the close targets. I could not find any functional zero distance for the reflex red dot with it so high over the bore. It worked if I stayed at its zeroed distance, but when I got up close and started varying distances, I ran into problems. I ditched the whole set up, went with an illuminated 2-7x, and did much better. Your son might want to consider why the reflex sight is there, and test it adequately for its intended purpose.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I've tried. I've personally geared away most of my rifles from quads and have moved to MLok. He has shot a few and doesn't care. Granted I built this mostly out of what I had extra minus the bbl. I actually let him read my thread about him so he knows I'm not full of shit with how I run my rigs(pretty much what has been mentioned has been suggested at one time or another). I don't know, different strokes for different folks I guess.
View Quote
I guess I don't understand why you care so much.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#20]
OP:

A rifle is made for shooting.

Shoot it.

If it's too heavy, pair it down.  If it holds poorly, improve it.  If it's inaccurate, accurize it.

But shoot it.

I know guys here probably look at my rifles and are underwhelmed and unimpressed.  They are admittedly pretty basic.  But I like them and I can shoot them well.  That's what matters.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd get  lighter rail, but overall you did pretty well
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks to those who've commented, all input said. He's sees the MRD kinda pointless too and I'll be taking it back and using it on one of my pistol builds anyways.

Eta..I appreciate all the input. Remember I built most of it out of spare parts minus bbl. Me and my son appreciate the feedback, he sees I'm not the only one thinking out of box on ar builds, especially when I show him the build threads. Many different parts to choose from and change, to something more comfortable/ergonomic. Not trying to force him out of his ways, but show him visually here other ideas/feedback(why I started op) and physically let him try different options on my part just to see what may work better.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#23]
If your son likes the way the gun is set up and he's not struggling with it then leave it alone.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top