Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2017 9:00:48 PM EDT
I recently picked up a LE6920. I had watched Chris Barcotti's videos on the Colt 6920 as compared to the Expanse. I already knew I wanted the 6920, because of the specs. I found one at a good price from my LGS and inspected it for all the Colt markings (barrel has the cage code 1/7 5.56 Nato, upper receiver "C" marked "m4" marked , bcg marked "c" marked, bolt marked "MPC" , also white paint marked on bolt and on barrel under FSB). It was all good....

However, maybe I misunderstood Chris that he was afraid the 6920 was being farmed out in a similar matter to the Expanse lately. How can I find out when my 6920 was born? Can I call Colt like I do for the test fire date of a new Glock? My buddy wants to buy a 6920 online and I'm worried he might not get a genuine 6920 if Chris is right and late model Colts are susceptible to outsoureced parts? Did I misunderstand Chris or can 6920's be ordered online with confidence? One of my LGS wanted to push a new Saint (Judas) with the free float handguards down my throat, and wasn't interested in ordering me a 6920 with 50% down. Pissed me off. I spend so much money there that I'm on the Christmas card list and the new guy showed no interest in getting me in to the rifle I wanted.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#2]

How can I find out when my 6920 was born? Can I call Colt like I do for the test fire date of a new Glock?
View Quote

You have a few options:
- call colt and ask
- birth bag: your pony came packaged inside a plastic bag.. There is a date stamped on it
- check the barrel mfg date under the handguard near  the FSB.. It should be close to the rifle mfg date
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't buy 'used' or from anyone but a retailer. Don't want people switching out parts and things....

Most on here would probably praise the hell out of the BCG's, which I believe is the only part being outsourced, that I've heard of so far.

I wouldn't forsake Colt just yet...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy 'used' or from anyone but a retailer. Don't want people switching out parts and things....

Most on here would probably praise the hell out of the BCG's, which I believe is the only part being outsourced, that I've heard of so far.

I wouldn't forsake Colt just yet...
View Quote
Colt has been outsourcing for years.   Look on the barrel near the barrel nut.  If there is a letter that is the manufacturer's code.  For example, I've had several older Colt 6520 (so old they had the LEO restriction roll marks) with "G" marked barrels.  IIRC those were made by Green Mountain.  I've also had a Colt with a W marked barrel which IIRC meant it was a Wilson.

As far as I know...there isn't a single manufacturer that makes all of their own parts.

Don't sweat it.  Regarding "swapped out parts"....

1) The Expanse lower parts are easy to spot.
2) The stuff that matters: barrel; bolt carrier; bolt; upper are all marked by Colt.
3) The stuff that doesn't matter (stock; handguard; pistol grip) are usually traded out by the end user anyway.

Worst case...someone switched a Colt H buffer for some other manufacturer of H buffer.

Colt FCG are usually marked SS ... just like a lot of other companies that use the same parts from the same vendor
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
A little paranoia is healthy.  Rash skepticism will give you heart disease.

Find a deal, buy the gun, inspect upon delivery, and address any concerns with the Seller.

Chill like a pancaked bunny.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Here, found this for you....

Colt barrels made by Green Mountain.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's the standard supplier of fire control groups to Colt (those marked with a S)...

LW Schneider makes Colt trigger groups...and has for a VERY LONG TIME.

By the way, my Daniel Defense came with a LW Schneider trigger too.  I think I may have had a BCM that came with one as well.

The entire idea that AR "manufacturers" are building every part is absurd.  Does Ford or Chevy manufacture everything that goes in their cars?  I have been involved in the design and construction of several facilities that make parts for Toyota....and these companies are NOT affiliated with Toyota except they make little parts .... like the frames for the Tundra truck line .

The difference is the quality control the ASSEMBLER requires of the MANUFACTURER.  For example..

We've all heard PSA uses FN barrels for their "CHF" line.  So what?  That does not automatically mean those barrels are made to TDP standards or anything else.  It simply means they were made by FN to PSA's standards (or were accepted by PSA if they didn't meet someone else's standards...google Centurion barrels in PSA rifles ).

Colt establishes a standard for their product.  They outsource production (this varies with demand).  The products are inspected by Colt, and either accepted or rejected.  If the parts meet Colt's standards they're stuck in a parts bin and sent out on the production floor for ASSEMBLY.  
Colt, just like everyone else ASSEMBLES ARs.  They don't "manufacture" them in the altruistic sense.  

If you really want to be scared....what is the forge code on your upper?

Forging marks/makers.

A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum

AF = Alcoa Forge

C AF = Colt Alco Forge

C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass

Cardinal (stylized) = Cardinal Forge

CH = Colt Harvey Aluminum

CK = Colt / Kaiser Aluminum

Circle/Crooshairs w/"AR" = ArmaLite

CM = Colt / Martin Marietta

D (stylized) = Diemaco

DK = Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum

E = Emco

EK = EMCO/Kaiser

E MB = EMCO/Mueller Brass

F keyhole = FNMI / Cerro Forge

FA = FNMI / Anchor Harvey

FK = FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum

FM = FN/Martin Marietta

FMB = FNMI / Mueller Brass

Keyhole = Cerro Forge

L = Lewis Machine & Tool

LK = LAR / Kaiser Aluminum

LM = LAR / Martin Marietta

M (under diamond) = Mueller Industries

PA = Capco / Anchor Harvey

PM = Capco / Martin Marietta

I see lots of Colts with a Keyhole forge mark (Cerro).  I see lots of other "brands" of AR with the same forge marking (including Daniel Defense).

Egads!  My Colt wasn't made in the fires of Mordor by elfin slaves and sprinkled with the blood of lesser AR manufacturer's blood . If it has a Colt marking...you're golden.  This is coming from a guy that has owned Colt ARs continuously for the past 33 years.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#8]

The top is clearly a Colt.
The bottom is a Bushmaster.

Oh, the horror
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Any major parts that Colt may outsource are made to strict Colt specifications, and are bought as raw, unfinished parts.
As example, Colt may buy barrels from Green Mountain but they wouldn't be standard GM barrels, and they'd be bought as raw barrel blanks, NOT FINISHED parts.

Same thing with uppers and lowers.
Colt buys raw forged parts and does 100% of the machining and finishing.

There are a number of people who've been given tours of the Colt plant and have stood there and watched as raw upper and lower forgings, bolts, bolt carriers, and barrel blanks are fed into the machines.

Last I heard when Brent was still working there, Colt was buying raw steel bar stock and boring and rifling their own barrels.

Like all gun makers, Colt doesn't make small parts like screws, pins, magazines, springs, etc. but they have to be made to Colt specs and the maker has to furnish Colt with legally traceable and verifiable documentation that the parts do meet the Colt specs, which are basically the same specs the US government specifies.

The "budget" Expanse is built by Colt from most all parts bought from a contractor.  These are not made to the same standard as the LE series.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any major parts that Colt may outsource are made to strict Colt specifications, and are bought as raw, unfinished parts.
As example, Colt may buy barrels from Green Mountain but they wouldn't be standard GM barrels, and they'd be bought as raw barrel blanks, NOT FINISHED parts.

Same thing with uppers and lowers.
Colt buys raw forged parts and does 100% of the machining and finishing.

There are a number of people who've been given tours of the Colt plant and have stood there and watched as raw upper and lower forgings, bolts, bolt carriers, and barrel blanks are fed into the machines.

Last I heard when Brent was still working there, Colt was buying raw steel bar stock and boring and rifling their own barrels.

Like all gun makers, Colt doesn't make small parts like screws, pins, magazines, springs, etc. but they have to be made to Colt specs and the maker has to furnish Colt with legally traceable and verifiable documentation that the parts do meet the Colt specs, which are basically the same specs the US government specifies.

The "budget" Expanse is built by Colt from most all parts bought from a contractor.  These are not made to the same standard as the LE series.
View Quote
Yep.  Agreed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top