Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 11:35:54 PM EDT
So I have a vortex 1-4 on a rifle and I am having such a problem seeing my target. If i cover my left eye everything is fine, that's obviously not really a permanent solution for me though. It's not just my scope either, I was shooting with my buddies nightforce and I have the same problem. The best way to describe my sight picture is that I'm seeing double and fuzzy. I shoot pistols with no problem and I'm a both eyes open shooter, I do have an astigmatism but no idea what eye it's in. Unfortunately I'm just unable to shoot with one eye open. I'm just so confused, looking for some advice on what my problem is and what I can do to correct it because it's driving me nuts. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Why can't you close your non scope eye? I'm a little confused on that point. With a red dot you want to keep both eyes open but with magnification, for precise hits it is the norm to close your non scoped eye. Cuts down on situational awareness of course but at least you can see the reticle/target...
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I just can't, I'm not able to wink either. I try constantly but find myself straining and just can't do it. I know it sounds stupid but it is what it is. I've read some about having an astigmatism and parallax and I kinda think that might be my problem but I still really don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I would probably try an eye patch brother. I know it would look stupid. But I assume you're taking this rifle to the range and not into combat, so if you have some kind of physical limitation on closing your non dominant eye, I think eye patch is the answer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would probably try an eye patch brother. I know it would look stupid. But I assume you're taking this rifle to the range and not into combat, so if you have some kind of physical limitation on closing your non dominant eye, I think eye patch is the answer.
View Quote
I keep an eye patch in my range bag and use it occasionally during long range session with scoped rifles. I've also covered the lens of my non-dominant eye with masking tape and both methods have helped me. My issue mainly deals with fatigue from closing one eye for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have astigmatism, and it can cause double reticles on optics, and super fuzzy dots for red dot optics. I wear eyeglasses which correct most of this issue. Typically, astigmatism is not relegated to only one eye, you will likely have it in both.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea I mean I get the whole eye patch thing but god forbid I actually needed the rifle for defense purposes I can't exactly have an eye patch laying around. I was thinking that there has to be some exercises I can do or whatever to train myself to close one eye. I thought maybe there was a scope out there that I wouldn't have to do that with and I was missing something. Again I'm kind of attributing it to my astigmatism but I'm still not sure, that's why I'm posting here, to see if anyone has any advice or experiences that same kinda thing and found a solution.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the only exercises you could do is practice trying to close your left eye while keeping the right eye open. For a defensive rifle I think you should run a red dot. They're made to be shot both eyes open and are superior for close range anyways.

Maybe save the 1-4 scope for the range/hunting etc. And to the other point, I'm pretty sure you'd have this issue with any scope
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]
If all else fails, find an optometrist, explain your problem and see what he/she says. Preferably one that is a shooter.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Practice. This sounds silly but concentration and mind control of the eyes plays a role.  Practice concentrating on the target and your eyes will eventually focus in on what you are concentrating on.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#10]
OP:  Do you have the problem with the scope at 1x, or is it just when you increase magnification?

If it is still a problem at 1x you may need to consult an eye doctor.

If you can shoot both eyes open at 1x you are good to go for home defense.

If it is only at higher magnification, you really do need to train to close the off scope eye.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#11]
If you wear glasses there's a simple clip on eye cover made for astronomy & shooting, handy when staring thru an eyepiece for a while. Flips up out of the way when not in use.
The one I have came in both white & opaque, easy to flip up out of the way when not needed.
I got mine from an online astronomy company called Orion but I did a quick check and couldn't find them. Brownells carried them at one time.
I've heard these are good either as a training aid as well. I've tried using both eyes open on magnification but can't shoot very accurately that way.

I think that spoon the eye doctors use is an 'occular', might be a good search work if you browse...
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#12]
You didn't mention which eye is dominant.  (Make an "OK" sign and hold hand out at arms length and look at something in the circle.  Close one eye (in your case cover one with your hand), if the object is no longer in the circle, the eye you are covering is your dominant eye. )

If you are left eye dominant, not being able to close one eye would be one of the few cases where I would think trying to shoot left-handed would be appropriate.

If that is the case, I would expect it to only be a problem when magnified (ie. at 1x setting the sight should work fine).

ETA: if it is a dominance issue, you may still have trouble using magnified optics without something covering the eye you aren't using (like the tape/patches/covers already mentioned)
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have astigmatism, and it can cause double reticles on optics, and super fuzzy dots for red dot optics. I wear eyeglasses which correct most of this issue. Typically, astigmatism is not relegated to only one eye, you will likely have it in both.
View Quote
I have an astigmatism only in my right eye.  I guess I'm not typical.  It happens.  

OP, do you have the same problem with irons on rifles?  You said you don't with pistols.  If not, that may be your best solution for a self defense carbine.  I prefer irons but I take a lot of crap for it around here from a few people.  For up close and fast the ghost ring and front sight is an awfully good system.  

My eyes struggle with seeing double with Red Dots and keeping both eyes open.  Sometimes it is made worse by the fact that the straight line stock has a tenancy to put my face in a forward can't and not in an overly upright position.  So it's like I'm looking up and that's not optimal. And sometimes the rim of my glasses starts to obscure the sight picture of my right eye.  Different glasses with more generous rim shape would help alleviate this.  Like in the 80's when they had them huge rectangular lenses, the rim is way higher.  Not sure if that's part of your problem.  

I don't seem to have much problems with regular scopes, other than the glass rim situation.  I actually like shooting optics up on carry handles because of this.  Another thing most people here say is dumb.  IMHO, an optimal scope height is somewhere higher than stock height.  But everyone is different.   Some dudes can shoot their AR's with lower than normal sight height.   I always found that baffling.  But people are built differently.  Neck length, cheek bones, whatever.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Practice. This sounds silly but concentration and mind control of the eyes plays a role.  Practice concentrating on the target and your eyes will eventually focus in on what you are concentrating on.
View Quote
This. Also, your head might be out of position. If you hand someone who has never shot a rifle a magnified, scoped rifle they will almost always struggle to see the target due to bad head position. Usually, they get too close to the scope. However, your pupil doesn't have to be off the scope tube's center much in any direction to make it hard to see the target.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yea I mean I get the whole eye patch thing but god forbid I actually needed the rifle for defense purposes I can't exactly have an eye patch laying around. I was thinking that there has to be some exercises I can do or whatever to train myself to close one eye. I thought maybe there was a scope out there that I wouldn't have to do that with and I was missing something. Again I'm kind of attributing it to my astigmatism but I'm still not sure, that's why I'm posting here, to see if anyone has any advice or experiences that same kinda thing and found a solution.
View Quote
I would also offer a red dot as a defensive solution option
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Closing one eye?

IMO, you should be shooting with both eyes open all the time, every time, no matter the range or magnification.   Is this just me?  Yes, you train your brain to concentrate on whichever eye is on the optic, but the other eye is open for situational awareness , target acquisition, and keeping track of your cant if you're using a bubble.

OP -- it's possible that you're just left eye dominant while trying to shoot right handed.   This is overcome by practice and training.  Also, it's possible that your eye relief, scope height, cheek piece height,  and/or length-of-pull are not properly set up for you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#18]
So I a, right eye dominant and yes I have the same problem with irons and I do love shooting them. I have a couple red dots and have no issues, I obviously just started getting into magnified optics because it's a lot of fun. My buddy has an acog with the green reticle and the issue isn't as bad. I appreciate all the feedback. I would go see an optometrist but I live in NJ and there just aren't as many people around who are shooters, let alone an optometrist lol. I'm going to do another range trip,this weekend and see if maybe I'm too close and have a buddy measure my eyerelief. I really don think think that's the issue though. Like i said it happens with irons too, everything just gets all fucked up looming. I really prefer to shoot with both eyes open obviously I just figured since covering one eye fixes everything maybe I can train myself. This sucks too because I was looking to get myself into a larue 308 with some good glass but no point if I'm having these issues.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#19]
did you adjust the eye piece diopter ring?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like an astigmatism. Go get it checked. If it's "regular" you can correct it with nothing more than soft contact lenses. If available, daily lenses (throw away daily) are the most comfortable. Don't feel them at all. If not regular, hard contacts (suck) or a minor surgical procedure can likely square you away. If you have access to a red dot with a rear iron sight, first look only at the dot and notice the irregular dot pattern caused by your astigmatism. Next view the dot while looking through the small aperture (peep hole) of the rear sight. The peep hole normally "scrapes" away most of the irregularities (flares, etc) leaving mostly a cleaner dot.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
did you adjust the eye piece diopter ring?
View Quote
I was about to ask the same question.

This is why we should always read the whole thread through before posting.

OP did say he was new to magnified optics......
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like your aiming eye isn't dominant.

When I shoot left instead of right, I have to close my right eye to let the left get focus, then I can open both. Reticle focus isn't as clear, but avoids the strain of consensual(sp?) reaction.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top