User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Though it is entertaining, let's not bash until we get more information.

OP, send some pictures of the ammo boxes, muzzle device, what twist barrel, and let us know what modifications have been done.

I suggest shooting the rifle slow fire, on a clean sheet of paper, at 50 yards with good, known ammunition, with no muzzle device at all, from a rest. Be careful not to jamb the threads into anything.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]
most barrels are batch-made.  

I would use a bore scope set to forward view, and then again at a 90-degree view.  inspect the bore, make sure the lands are tall enough and sharp enough to interact with jacket material

the issue is likely the bore of the barrel

worst case? worn tooling used at the factory.  you send it back and get a refund
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He's shooting 500-600 rounds in full auto (bump fire) before they start keyholing, that is a detail that he is trying to hide
View Quote
just saw this.  and now I'm no longer interested in assistance
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Yell your buddy to buy chrome lined HBAR 1/9 twist barrels and use copper jacketed lead ammunition.

That will help him bumpfire a little longer between youtube rants.

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Though it is entertaining, let's not bash until we get more information.\
View Quote
Agreed.   We have all seen some pretty interesting things so I would prefer to keep an open mind.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OP, send some pictures of the ammo boxes, muzzle device, what twist barrel, and let us know what modifications have been done.
View Quote
This.   If S&W replaced the upped then there is something that is consistent between the two uppers.   The only question is what is it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's shooting 500-600 rounds in full auto (bump fire) before they start keyholing, that is a detail that he is trying to hide
I am still willing to provide assistance if needed but it will be with the understanding that ALL of our range rules will be followed at ALL times.    One rule that I will mention up front is that our range doesn't allow rapid fire.    If he is unable to duplicate this issue without rapid fire then there won't be any reason to set up a range date.

We shouldn't need to setup a range trip though.   The issue is most likely with the ammo/barrel compatibility or he is using an after market muzzle device.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not even enough common sense to wear a seatbelt while driving and filming...

http://i65.tinypic.com/so3i4o.png

This guy doesn't belong behind a semi automatic anything. 

Goes to show how ridiculous customer service has gotten...Smith and Wesson

takes care of this guy, who obviously doesn't know anything about anything...

(I know their customer service, I've used it - top tier.) They paid his shipping both ways (on multiple barrels)

Because he's an IDIOT.

His solution...bash Smith and Wesson...this guy needs to go back to airsoft.

ETA:

1 Post MaGee posted this thread. Obviously Likely Okay, possibly this is some bullshit.
View Quote
Who needs a seatbelt with Oakley driving glasses?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a reminder this is Tech, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a reminder this is Tech, gentlemen.
View Quote
This forum may be, but the thread definitely is no longer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't really understand what the video's of the driving the car were for, I thought we were talking about guns?

It always pays to post the correct information up front when you are asking for help in solving a problem, but based on the last part of this thread, I am now really confuse, there was quite a bit of important information that was not passed along to diagnosis this problem...

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
If I remember aright, the S&W Sport 2 bbls are not lined, and if he's running through several hundred rounds in a bumpfire session in 30 round bursts, he's just burning them out.

I think the Ruger has a chromed lined bbl, hence he's not complaining about the Ruger yet.  I look forward to him posting here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Are the new sport barrels still melonited? Or just parked? If they're just parked then 5-600 consecutive rounds of full retard bumpfire is likely the cause of the issue if not an out of spec muzzle device.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Nitrided, iirc.

With their TM name . Armornite I think.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I remember aright, the S&W Sport 2 bbls are not lined, and if he's running through several hundred rounds in a bumpfire session in 30 round bursts, he's just burning them out.

I think the Ruger has a chromed lined bbl, hence he's not complaining about the Ruger yet.  I look forward to him posting here.
View Quote
Ruger is unlined but CHF, S&W is their nitride/melonite treatment as Tig said.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]
This had me worried about my S&W Sport because it sits by the bed and wears a bump fire stock.

I decided to test it out. Please note, this is a Gen 1 model with the 5R 1:8 barrel, no forward assist or dust cover. The only mods are Magpul hand guard, RDS and of course the bump fire stock.

First, a 50 yard target, 10 shots using XM855.  No keyholes here.

Next, three full mags of bump fire at 10 feet using my reloads of Hornady 55gr FMJBT over 24.3 grains H335. This was a blast.

No keyholes here either. I am relieved

It had rained earlier so I wound up digging a trench with 90 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess this was a troll thread and he fo'd?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The common denominator would seem to be your buddy burns out bbls, and blames everyone else on YouTube.  1st he blames his bump fire stock manufacturer, then blames S&W.

His muzzle device is suspect as well.  How often does he clean it?  What is it?  Who made it?  Why, if he's having key holing issues, does he not just leave the factory flash hider on there?

Has he tried this muzzle device on his Ruger?
View Quote
More of this.

Reminds me of some sort of Jersy Shore style 'vlog' or soemthing... he just trying to get famous?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess this was a troll thread and he fo'd?
View Quote
The OP was probably the 'friend'.

Dude looking to get famous from his 'vlog'. Or trying to burn out barrels for free with bump fire stocks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#20]
And that my friends is a true internet commando. Can't wait for more of xrunners video's and insight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably using already shot out barrels or faking it with heavy (long) bullets in the demo only.  Spending on a few 77 grain loads that will keyhole in 1:9 twist barrels although actually shooting the mag dumps with cheap bulk 55 or 62 grain stuff that probably shoots fine.

The barrels are nitrided.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I apologize I meant keyholing. He has used all kinds. It still key holes. It's weird, SW can't figure it out. My hypothesis is that the modification to the trigger is creating a timing issue on rapid fire that bullets are running into each other.

If he pauses 1 sec and fires no keyholing occurs.

We are all stumped.
View Quote
Are you serious?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are you serious?
View Quote
Obviously, LRRP, you are not familiar with the "whiplash" effect where you can quickly apply wrist action under rapid fire of your firearm to produce nasty, elongated holes in your target...or enemy.  You know...the "gangsta method"...where you hold your pistol or AK sideways and sort of "sling" them bullets downrange.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#24]
LMAO, now this thread is comedy.  Thanks guys, made my morning.

I luv arfcom...
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He is using a bump fire for several hundred rounds before the keyholes are starting to show up????????????????????????????

WTF!

I own 3 M16 FA guns a Bumpfire gun and I would expect no less, Christ, what a waste of time!

Shoot the damn gun normally before you start playing with toys to be bad ass.., if I am actually now understanding what is going on, you have wasted S&W time as well as those that are trying to help.

I know, this is not GD, but that is where this thread NEEDS to be!
View Quote
No kidding... it's not the slidefire itself that causes keyholing...

The video is so derp.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Keyholing at 7 ft? 7ft? Different setup but, Dad had a heavy remington 700 varmint rifle with a very slow twist 45-50 grain bullets are amazing, still shot 55's pretty well. 62's would keyhole but we never checked it at 7 ft.  Prairie dogs at 3-600 were not a big deal as long as you shot light bullets. I agree those look awful long for 55 grain bullets and to tumble right out of the muzzle?  I've seen some burnt barrels and none tumbled they just opened way up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#27]
His latest video:

Smith & Wesson bad ar15 keyholing

And here is a screen grab of the rifle, doesn't look much like a stock M&P Sport to me...

I also see what looks like red through the hand guard holes.  Now there are a lot of red parts added to it, but what would be red in there?  Wonder if it's actually red glowing metal...
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Thermal Dissipator?

I want to say it's the muzzle brake that's the problem.

ETA: he says ammo is irrelevant. I disagree. What size bullet? I can get a 230 grain 308 bullet to fly sideways out of my rem 700 1:12 barrel. Ask me how I know. That absolutely is relevant.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#29]
1) If you record vertical videos you shouldn't be allowed to handle guns
2) Guys filming themself while driving and talking are douchebags
3) He already shot out the barrel with his slide fire stock so why does he continue to make videos complaining about S&W?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
His latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAGeXxuycmI

And here is a screen grab of the rifle, doesn't look much like a stock M&P Sport to me...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rytea7zi8zuw5s/lol9000.png?raw=1

I also see what looks like red through the hand guard holes.  Now there are a lot of red parts added to it, but what would be red in there?  Wonder if it's actually red glowing metal...
View Quote
Strike Industries handguard. They make them with optional red heat shield.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#31]
try the ammo in a different AR, better yet a different S&W sport.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top