Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2017 7:01:15 PM EDT
I'm torn between a White Oak Armament barrel and a Odin Works barrel in 22 Nosler. Specifically, im looking at the 18" WOA "Predator" contour and the Odin 18" DMR contour. This will be going on one of my predator control rigs. Any quality or accuracy difference between these two?

Which one would you recommend, and why?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm torn between a White Oak Armament barrel and a Odin Works barrel in 22 Nosler. Specifically, im looking at the 18" WOA "Predator" contour and the Odin 18" DMR contour. This will be going on one of my predator control rigs. Any quality or accuracy difference between these two?

Which one would you recommend, and why?
View Quote
You're probably not seeing any replies because for the most part, you could flip a coin on those two choices, and either will be a great barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a WOA barrel on my most recent build because it was difficult to find anybody with something bad to say about them.  I'm sure the Odins are great, but they are doing something right at WOA.  I have not taken it out to real long range yet, I'm waiting on a SSA-E and a bipod to come, then I'm going to the cabin and shooting as far as I can see.  Prelim testing leads me to believe it is going to shoot better than I will.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input, fellas! Still haven't decided but I'll post when I do. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I only have a White Oak in .223 Wylde. It has set a pretty high bar for me for any other company to come close.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#5]
@SouthTXBowhunter

I just looked at what .22 Nosler is. Looks like a fantastic cartridge! Does it use the same projectiles as .223, and will it work in 5.56 BCG's?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think WOA sells any AR-10 barrels. 22 Nosler isn't available through them.

I am a huge fan of WOA, but I believe you are limited to .223, 6.8spc or .204 Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@SouthTXBowhunter

I just looked at what .22 Nosler is. Looks like a fantastic cartridge! Does it use the same projectiles as .223, and will it work in 5.56 BCG's?
View Quote
If i remeber correctly it uses a 6.8spc bolt.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't think WOA sells any AR-10 barrels. 22 Nosler isn't available through them.

I am a huge fan of WOA, but I believe you are limited to .223, 6.8spc or .204 Ruger.
View Quote
.22 Nosler is AR15 cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@SouthTXBowhunter

View Quote
Yessir, it uses the same .224 projectiles and the only thing required to swap from 5.56 or .223 is a barrel swap and a 6.8spc magazine. It's a fatter cartridge (that's why the 6.8spc mags) but it has a rebated rim so that it will work with a standard AR15 bolt. I'm really interested in the additional 300fps for fast moving coyotes where you don't have time to accurately range them. According to Nosler and early reviews, the 1:8 barrels push 55gr-69gr with incredible speed and terrific accuracy. The analogy has been made that the 22 Nosler is to the 5.56/.223 as the 300 win mag is to the .308. Pretty cool stuff!

https://www.nosler.com/22-nosler

http://www.range365.com/22-nosler#page-4

Quoted:

View Quote
It's not a AR10 variant. It's designed for the AR15 platform. The claim is that it's the fastest .22 caliber for the AR15 platform. WOA makes 3 different 22 Nosler barrels currently - they've only been out for a short time. Nosler announced the cartridge back in December, I believe and WOA (along with a few other companies) announced the release of barrels at SHOT Show, if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.nosler.com/blog/news-and-articles/2017/1/15/nosler-delivers-faster-cartridge-for-the-ar-15the-22-nosler
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
God damn it, I think you just cost me a lot of money with what you just posted

I'm already looking at barrels, bolts, and mags. Initially I was thinking about a model 700 conversion but I think I will do just one upper for now, and see how I like it before it gets it's own dedicated lower.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I did a little research and am pretty impressed with this new round. It actually bumps the .22 bore AR into their big boy pants. I'm a little surprised they aren't offering 1/7 twist barrels, this would really do the trick for single loaded 90 grain match bullets. You may even be able to seat them at magazine length. I believe the 90 grain Sierra Match Kings have a B.C. over .500, at 2800+ fps you have a 1000 yard capable rifle.

As a match rifle 77 grain bullets at 200/300 and single loaded 80's, 80.5's, 82's or 90's at 600 depending on what groups best from your rifle. The increased velocity with very little recoil seems like a winning combination.

I wouldn't consider this cartridge for any rifle with a barrel under 24". It's a fantastic long range round and varmint killer. It doesn't do anything better for me in a shorter barreled version.

edited to add: I wish they would have kept a small rifle primer instead of using the large style. This makes zero sense to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did a little research and am pretty impressed with this new round. It actually bumps the .22 bore AR into their big boy pants. I'm a little surprised they aren't offering 1/7 twist barrels, this would really do the trick for single loaded 90 grain match bullets. You may even be able to seat them at magazine length. I believe the 90 grain Sierra Match Kings have a B.C. over .500, at 2800+ fps you have a 1000 yard capable rifle.

As a match rifle 77 grain bullets at 200/300 and single loaded 80's, 80.5's, 82's or 90's at 600 depending on what groups best from your rifle. The increased velocity with very little recoil seems like a winning combination.

I wouldn't consider this cartridge for any rifle with a barrel under 24". It's a fantastic long range round and varmint killer. It doesn't do anything better for me in a shorter barreled version.

edited to add: I wish they would have kept a small rifle primer instead of using the large style. This makes zero sense to me.
View Quote
Do you think an 18" would do the trick using 85 grain matchburners?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you think an 18" would do the trick using 85 grain matchburners?
View Quote
Not really. In order to take advantage of the larger powder charges you need a longer barrel.

I'm sure you will have improved performance no matter what the barrel length, however, a 24" to 26" barrel with 80 grain bullets doing close to 3000 fps or 90's doing close to 2900 fps will place this rifle/ammo combination in the top ranks as far as ballistics is concerned.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not really. In order to take advantage of the larger powder charges you need a longer barrel.

I'm sure you will have improved performance no matter what the barrel length, however, a 24" to 26" barrel with 80 grain bullets doing close to 3000 fps or 90's doing close to 2900 fps will place this rifle/ammo combination in the top ranks as far as ballistics is concerned.
View Quote
This is why all the 24" barrels are backordered on WOA's website.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top