User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2017 6:54:05 PM EDT
Hi,

Even though, Ive been a shooter for a couple of decades, including IPSC teams, owning few firearms, I have yet to build one.
That being said, please bear with me, for some silly sounding (to you) questions ;)

I am still working on building my AR platform based toy. I have so far:

1. M16 A1 Colt lower F/A
2. complete lower parts kit by FTF Industries
3. BCG (nickel boron), also by FTF
4. buffer tube by UTG pro
5. stock and grip by BCM
6. charging handle by BCM
and various tools, vise grips, etc.

Since I am not in a hurry, slowly learning and digesting the info, I still need to make a choice on upper, free float / hand guard, gas block, barrel.
To answer the main question: what are you planning to do with it? I'll be taking to the range, twice a
month, for some fun time and rarely some precision shooting (yes, scope will be added). Hence the idea of having 16" or 18" barrel.

Regarding the UPPER:  I was about to buy an Aero Precision M4E1 enhanced upper, then I thought of Larue or DD or JP Ent. Then I ran into gazillion others and got lost!

They all built out of 7075 alum, but the prices are from $69 to $400! AP advertise "enhanced upper". Is that a gimmick or something I should look into?

So, need an advice here please!

Thank you, best regards
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the aero stuff. You can get a regular upper or the enhanced if you plan to use their handguard. The enhanced have the mounting part for the handguard already attached to the upper. Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for a prompt reply.  I am planning to instal MI hand guard or DD if more money will be available.
Do I need this "enhancement" added on AP upper?

thnx
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
UPD:  I just checked their site. Now I realize, that their enhanced upper is only suitable for theirs handguard! :)
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing that you do not want an A1upper receiver?

I would buy a Colt M4 upper, personally. Aero is not the quality that they were in the past, imo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would buy a Colt M4 upper, personally. Aero is not the quality that they were in the past, imo.
View Quote
What issues have you had? I really like the stuff I have seem come out lately. Have helped a couple friends build using their stuff and all the builds have turned out nice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I never thought of A1 upper, nor do I want one.  About M4: I checked the gun broker and other sites, and it
looks like you can get one for $175 (shipping incl).  Not bad, but Aero is $79 bucks.  I do have that
extra $100 to spend, but trying to find an answer - why?  I mean, same material, same programmable,
computer operated milling machine, same anodizing.... What else?

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
No offense, but you have a lower worth like $15k at least. It doesn't really make sense to put bargain priced parts in it like utg and FTF industries. Go out and buy some quality Colt parts
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If you got a tax stamp lower, then it doesn't matter what barrel size upper you get so long as you keep in mind that you get a Full Auto bolt carrier group so that it trips the fun switch.

Since uppers are relatively inexpensive, I would go with a couple of different uppers like a 10.5, and 14.5 and just shoot the flavor of the day. I wouldn't really care about brands and chances are you won't be happy with one upper considering the amount of fun you'd have with a tax stamp lower.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's what I would buy:

I would start with this: Colt 14.5    <--- that would be my main upper

10.3 upper <-- fun day at the range

Personally I wouldn't use a tax stamp lower as a self-defense rifle as there's a chance the police won't give it back to you when they seal it as "evidence."
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Brother if you bought a Colt M16A1 lower, putting a UTG buffer tube on it would be a sin. Buy a genuine Colt receiver extension (buffer tube) as well as F/A Colt LPK.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No offense, but you have a lower worth like $15k at least. It doesn't really make sense to put bargain priced parts in it like utg and FTF industries. Go out and buy some quality Colt parts
View Quote
Thank you, I'll check the better stuff.  But when I was web surfing, FTF offered a FA BCG at a normal, $200 price. Not cheap, not expensive. So I bought it. About UTG, it's only a buffer tube, I was looking into BCM, but ordered UTG.  I am not a AR15 type of guy.  More of a pistol competition person ;)
Thnx for advice
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's what I would buy:

I would start with this: Colt 14.5    <--- that would be my main upper

10.3 upper <-- fun day at the range

Personally I wouldn't use a tax stamp lower as a self-defense rifle as there's a chance the police won't give it back to you when they seal it as "evidence."
View Quote
Thank you. That makes sense!  I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Brother if you bought a Colt M16A1 lower, putting a UTG buffer tube on it would be a sin. Buy a genuine Colt receiver extension (buffer tube) as well as F/A Colt LPK.
View Quote
Crap! I feel like an idiot already....
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What issues have you had? I really like the stuff I have seem come out lately. Have helped a couple friends build using their stuff and all the builds have turned out nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last 2 I bought had shitty machining gouges inside the upper. Clearly incompetent. Also the anodizing was patchy.

Cosmetic, but crappy and avoidable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
are we sure this is a real full auto lower we're talking about here?

what did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I never thought of A1 upper, nor do I want one.  About M4: I checked the gun broker and other sites, and it
looks like you can get one for $175 (shipping incl).  Not bad, but Aero is $79 bucks.  I do have that
extra $100 to spend, but trying to find an answer - why?  I mean, same material, same programmable,
computer operated milling machine, same anodizing.... What else?

Thank you
View Quote
A seller on the EE is selling new in bag Colt M4 uppers cheaper. If you are interested and can't find the listing,  PM me, I'll hook you up with him.

I bought 2, best quality uppers I have got.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
are we sure this is a real full auto lower we're talking about here?

what did you pay for it?
View Quote
it's full auto.  when i have ten more questions, filled with skepticism, then I'll post a pic
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

it's full auto.  when i have ten more questions, filled with skepticism, then I'll post a pic
View Quote
14.5" bbl would be my personal starting point.

Also, a 10.3"..... both Colt.

and 3 cases of Wolf Gold.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:27:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Fella,

A Colt F/A lower? Like most have said, you need to pitch all that cheap shit and start over again with all genuine Colt parts.

ETA: To do it justice, the upper should be all Colt too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's just not typical you see a person new to ar15's having an m16 lower at their disposal. It's also not typical for a person with a FA lower asking about the cheapest parts they can use to complete the rifle.

It's like a 16 year old who just got his license asking what the cheapest fuel he can put in his mint condition '67 mustang.

I would suggest having a gunsmith look at your build prior to firing it. I don't have anything full auto, but I have heard that poorly made parts can lead to an out of battery discharge if the timing isn't right. I would be much more trustful of Colt parts than questionable ftf industries. Colt fa parts can be had for less than the money you paid for the ftf parts if you shop around
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for a proper advice.  Perhaps I have started on the wrong path, but.... I can explain the reason, I didn't just bought all the Colt or DD parts.
It would have not been a challenge, would it?   What's the point of "building" the rifle, if you just order one package with all the parts and assemble
it in two hours?

I might add, that the main parts, such as barrel, GB, etc, will be top of the line.  I did spent numerous hours and days, reading the form and other
media, and only here, I am hearing that FA BCG (nick.brn) by FTF, priced at $200 bucks, is crap! Yet, the Colt's FA BCG costs $160, BCM BCG - $170,
and most of the BCG that are sold by cheaper production companies, are run from $80 to $140 usd!

Is there some sort of an issue with FTF Ind, I should know about

And yes, most of you were right on the barrel issue. 14.5" it is.  But first, I must deal with the upper.  After being (slammed in the face) chastised
by all, I will get a Colt's upper.  Could you advise, if there is a difference on "C" + square or "C" + keyhole, or...?

Thank you,
Warmest regards
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#22]
BCM
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
BCM
View Quote
BCM - what? upper? bcg?  ))
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thank you for a proper advice.  Perhaps I have started on the wrong path, but.... I can explain the reason, I didn't just bought all the Colt or DD parts.
It would have not been a challenge, would it?   What's the point of "building" the rifle, if you just order one package with all the parts and assemble
it in two hours?

I might add, that the main parts, such as barrel, GB, etc, will be top of the line.  I did spent numerous hours and days, reading the form and other
media, and only here, I am hearing that FA BCG (nick.brn) by FTF, priced at $200 bucks, is crap! Yet, the Colt's FA BCG costs $160, BCM BCG - $170,
and most of the BCG that are sold by cheaper production companies, are run from $80 to $140 usd!

Is there some sort of an issue with FTF Ind, I should know about

And yes, most of you were right on the barrel issue. 14.5" it is.  But first, I must deal with the upper.  After being (slammed in the face) chastised
by all, I will get a Colt's upper.  Could you advise, if there is a difference on "C" + square or "C" + keyhole, or...?

Thank you,
Warmest regards
View Quote
Keyhole = Cerro
Square = Brass Aluminum Forge Enterprise

Both are markings of the forge, both gtg.
The C will designate that the final machine work was performed by Colt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]
If you truely do have a A1 full auto lower reciever with the complete FCG I would highly recommend using quality mil spec parts. Noveski, BCM and Colt are all I would be using to complete that lower into a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

1. M16 A1 Colt lower F/A
2. complete lower parts kit by FTF Industries Colt/FN
3. BCG (nickel boron), also by FTF Colt/FN
4. buffer tube by UTG pro Colt/BCM/Spikes
5. stock and grip by BCM This/Colt A2/waffle stock
6. charging handle by BCM This/Colt CH

Thank you, best regards
View Quote

....if it were mine.

And just a heads up, the UTG tube is
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

BCM - what? upper? bcg?  ))
View Quote
Complete BCM upper receiver group of your choice (14.5" Midlength with Rail)
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

....if it were mine.

And just a heads up, the UTG tube is
View Quote
Thank you.  By FN, you mean Fabrique Nationale? (if so, I didn't even knew, they were making those parts for AR)

Also, how come no one suggested JP Enterprise for example? or DD?  
BCM is what everyone talking about. Yet, BCM best tool is aggressive marketing and...yes, they do make a good
products!  I did actually ordered few BCM parts, but didn't know, the buffer tube (machined to mil-spec) was that
important...

In any event, I'll order Colt's upper.  And since I narrowed down to two choices for free floats (DD or MI), I assume,
it is safe to say, that .750 GB from DD is a right choice? Correct?

thx
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Complete BCM upper receiver group of your choice (14.5" Midlength with Rail)
View Quote
Thank you. But I don't like the look of their rail
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Does "Daniel Defense A1 Burnsed Loop Ambi Locking Plate DD-4032 COLT Bushmaster Spikes" looks good to be installed?

and  Complete Mil-Spec Anti Rotation Trigger / Hammer Pin Set, is something worth installing?

Thnx
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I picked up an Aero upper and test fit it on my LE6920, found it fit really well, nice and tight:

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I picked up an Aero upper and test fit it on my LE6920, found it fit really well, nice and tight:

https://3.bp.misaligned.com/-/misaligned/AAAAAAAAnBc/misaligned_xbD3Gb0CRlMwNCZgCPcB/s1600/P3174583.JPG
View Quote
Thank you for sharing. Please don't get me wrong, but is the line up here, supposed to be a bit "imperfect"?  It seems a bit misaligned.

And the second question is on coloring. Perhaps, this is my monitor's color calibration, but I see darker area on the right. Or both,
upper and lower were painted by you?

here are the pix:
http://s61.photobucket.com/user/victorxray18/media/upperAndlower_zpsdarzywpf.png.html

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/victorxray18/media/coloringAR15_zpsjpyqo0jh.png.html
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd do a complete Colt 6943 upper-
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you, but I don't want to buy a fully assembled upper. That is a half of the rifle and I am trying to build one, piece by piece. Even if I'd want the same look (which I admit, looks excellent), I would still order every piece separately and try to assemble it myself.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
DD M4V7S
View Quote
Thank you.  I looked at DDM4 upper before. I admit, it looks great, but then I came to the conclusion, that the Colt's (grayish black) lower
and dark black DD upper with all the markings, will not have the perfect symbiosis.  Colt upper it is!

Now, it's free float, GB (no idea yet and I know nothing about them), then barrel or vice versa, then iron sights, then sights (inclining
towards  Trijicon for now, after scraping the idea of red dot, etc).

Regards,
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Also, could someone (everyone) advise me on the Colt's upper A3/A4 with no feed ramps? Better to have ramps or doesn't really matter?

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Also, could someone (everyone) advise me on the Colt's upper A3/A4 with no feed ramps? Better to have ramps or doesn't really matter?

Thank you
View Quote
It's not that important. Most every upper today has m4 feedramps. Just make sure to get corresponding uppers and barrels. So ramped barrel + ramped upper or both non ramped. Don't mix them
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Google pic.
Best quality pic I could find.NOT a Pinterest peruser...
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank you.

Gentlemen,

Do I need this???  

Complete Anti-Rotation Trigger/Hammer Pin Set .223/5.56

Thnx
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thank you.

Gentlemen,

Do I need this???  

Complete Anti-Rotation Trigger/Hammer Pin Set .223/5.56

Thnx
View Quote
Only if you think so. Alot of mixed opinions on the subject.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I can't find too many pros and cons about it. What about some info from the actual users??
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fucking this

Use quality Colt parts. Get a Colt M4 upper.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thank you for sharing. Please don't get me wrong, but is the line up here, supposed to be a bit "imperfect"?  It seems a bit misaligned.

And the second question is on coloring. Perhaps, this is my monitor's color calibration, but I see darker area on the right. Or both,
upper and lower were painted by you?

p.s. I just tried to add pictures but couldn't.  it asks about url, but i have no url, they are on my desktop
View Quote
How to post pics
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hi,

Even though, Ive been a shooter for a couple of decades, including IPSC teams, owning few firearms, I have yet to build one.
That being said, please bear with me, for some silly sounding (to you) questions ;)

I am still working on building my AR platform based toy. I have so far:

1. M16 A1 Colt lower F/A
2. complete lower parts kit by FTF Industries
3. BCG (nickel boron), also by FTF
4. buffer tube by UTG pro
5. stock and grip by BCM
6. charging handle by BCM

Since I am not in a hurry, slowly learning and digesting the info, I still need to make a choice on upper, free float / hand guard, gas block, barrel.
To answer the main question: what are you planning to do with it? I'll be taking to the range, twice a
month, for some fun time and rarely some precision shooting (yes, scope will be added). Hence the idea of having 16" or 18" barrel.

Regarding the UPPER:  I was about to buy an Aero Precision M4E1 enhanced upper, then I thought of Larue or DD or JP Ent. Then I ran into gazillion others and got lost!

They all built out of 7075 alum, but the prices are from $69 to $400! AP advertise "enhanced upper". Is that a gimmick or something I should look into?

Thank you, best regards
View Quote

Since you already have an NFA lower why not use an NFA length upper? Why bother with a 16" or 18" barrel?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Since you already have an NFA lower why not use an NFA length upper? Why bother with a 16" or 18" barrel?
View Quote
I've opted for 14.5" already ;)  And yes, I'll be using Colt's upper.  Folks on this forum kind of "opened my eyes"
Regards
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've opted for 14.5" already ;)  And yes, I'll be using Colt's upper.  Folks on this forum kind of "opened my eyes"
Regards
View Quote
Cool. Since I gave you instructions on how to post pics why don't you go ahead and let us see your NFA toy?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#49]
To post images from PhotoBucket, click the link shown to the right of the image in the IMG section, then paste that into the page on AR15.com. It should look something like this without the spaces.

[ URL=http://s61.photobucket.com/user/victorxray18/media/FAupper_zpsd4zrwsmp.png.html ] [IMG ]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h55/victorxray18/FAupper_zpsd4zrwsmp.png [/IMG ][ /URL ]

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I've done it bit it still showing the picture as link...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top