Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 4:34:14 PM EDT
Hey all, I think I have my heart set on a Daniel Defense brand AR with a BCM ELW 16" barrel. I'd like to have it set up as a 0-300 yard gun.

The conundrum I have is which optics setup to go with. I've narrowed it down to either a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x, or an Aimpoint Micro T-2 with a 3x magnifier on a pivot mount behind it.

I know you cannot really beat a red dot close-up, but the Razor Gen II is as good as low variable power optics get for that purpose as well with their massive eyebox and nuclear-bright illuminated dot at the center. IIRC, the Razor actually has a wider FOV and more eye relief than the Aimpoint 3x magnifier. So...I really don't know which way to go.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Razor.

I have never liked the idea of a 1x or 3x and that's all that you have.  The Razors will have reticles in MOA or MRAD and illumination as an option.  If you do decide to turn off your Aimpoint, you have nothing.

Another great option, I believe, would be to use the new PST Gen2 1-6 which uses the same reticles as the Razors.  It's about 3-4oz lighter than the Razor.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Razor though, especially if your DD rifle has the brown finish.  They look amazing together.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
0-300?  RDS.

LPVs can work great, but I really don't need much magnification for 300 and in so long as we're not talking about trying to shoot really small groups.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#3]
300 and in is RDS territory, unless magnification will help with a need to find and ID targets.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
0-300?  RDS.

LPVs can work great, but I really don't need much magnification for 300 and in so long as we're not talking about trying to shoot really small groups.
View Quote
This. If it was a 300 yd gun id go with the Razor. But since it sounds like most of this rifles work would be closer in with 300 yds at the max, id go with the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Both.

Aimpoint pro & pst gen II for the same price / performance.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Another suggestion is the Steiner P4XI. Excellent glass, eyebox, FOV, daylight bright and lighter than the both the razor and PST2.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: Another suggestion is the Steiner P4XI. Excellent glass, eyebox, FOV, daylight bright and lighter than the both the razor and PST2.
View Quote
I would pick up one of those if it was 1-6 in that price range.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Not in your picks, OP, but 300 and under?
Aimpoint PRO, over T1/2 or H1/2.

Just my personal opinion.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Personally, I say go with the vortex. I have good eyes, and I don't like shooting 100+ with a red dot. Red dots to me are 0-100. Different strokes I suppose.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top