Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 11:00:07 AM EDT
Whats your thoughts on putting a scope on a dissipator upper? Does it defeat the purpose of the dissipator? Isn't one of the main reasons of it is to have rifle length iron sites on a carbine length rifle?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I would agree that it defeats the whole purpose of the dissipator by putting a scope onit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
While that is a primary purpose for benefit of a dissy, consider this--every AR rifle has a rifle-length sight radius, but we don't think twice about slapping a scope on one.  So why worry about it on a dissy?

Adding an optic gives you magnified sighting and/or one-plane focusing.  These enhance accuracy and speed of target inquisition, and that doesn't change just because it's a dissipator.
If you need an optic, add an optic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
QD mount the scope with a good return to zero QD mount.  Have the best of both worlds.  Unless the scope goes down below 3x, the front sight will not be visible and even then might not be very noticeable depending on your choice of scope.  A 3-9x40 or similar scope would look right through the front sight, so to speak. The sight would be out of focus and not visible.  Simply remove the scope to use the sights.  You'd need a folding rear sight to fit under the scope eyepiece.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The last Dissipator I had, I had a MILLETT DMS scope on it in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. It had a YHM flip-up front sight block and a MaTech rear sight. Nothing wrong with an optic or scope on a Dissipator.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Go for it. I run a red dot on my dissy simply because I have plenty of other scopes on other rifles. I wouldn't hesitate to use magnified optics if that suits your purpose. Rifle-length BUIS will be a plus.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would agree that it defeats the whole purpose of the dissipator by putting a scope onit.
View Quote
I agree.

To each his own, but I bought my dissy specifically to leave with iron sights.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I like them because they have more handguard to grab. Unless you just enjoy shooting irons, an optic makes a lot more sensd as the main aiming method for a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like them because they have more handguard to grab. Unless you just enjoy shooting irons, an optic makes a lot more sensd as the main aiming method for a rifle.
View Quote
This is what I was going to post.

I still feel like I need a fixed rear sight on mine (and a red dot), but I would not feel bad about sticking an ACOG on there instead.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer mine without an optic. My Dissy has become my favorite rifle for general use and is my HD gun. I have optics on free floated uppers and they have their purpose just like my A2 Dissy fills the role of a KISS rifle. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not?

Put it on a Q.D. and take it off to go old-school.

20141229_160058 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top