Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/24/2017 10:06:26 PM EDT
I just picked up a leitner-wise and can't find much information on it.  The lower has a model number of 15.499 which everything I can find says is for a 499 (500 Beowulf) cal and the references all point to the coastguard picking them up years back for a while.  The upper is 5.56mm.  It was a good price and the apparent quality is great.  Anyone know anything about this combination?  A novelty serial number is a bonus.  It's pre-assault rifle ban in Massachusetts, my friend had it for more than 10 years.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:19:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I may be wrong, so please correct me, but when I got heavy into ARs, Leitner-Wise was around, I actually looked at one of theses.  

I think they may be the pre-runner of today's LWRC rifles.  I think the LW company went defunct and was reorganized and opened as LWRC

For some reason this story sticks in my mind.  In the day, a LW was considered a mid level quality, contrary to the top quality rifles LWRC produces today.

If I am way off base, someone please correct me....as far as the caliber, I can't help there, never heard of a .499 nor do I know anything about the Beouwolf  caliber/cartridge.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Leitner-Wise is still around and IIRC, he still collects royalties on his piston design that LWRC/LWRCi uses. i can't comment on the quality but you ought to contact LW directly
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Paul Leitner-Wise was forced out of his own company and the firm reorganized as LWRC after he was caught on this very web site shilling for his firm.

He was posting and pretending to be an Ordnance Board official who had details of secret testing of Leitner-Wise rifles by the Army. One of the shill user names was hipfiredgun I believe.

It all turned out to be hogwash and the Board of Directors and investors in his firm forced him out.

I have owned recent production LWRC rifles and they have been perfect in function and form. I don't have any experience with the older models. Maybe someone else can chime in about quality and issues of rifles similar to yours.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Paul Leitner-Wise was forced out of his own company and the firm reorganized as LWRC after he was caught on this very web site shilling for his firm.

He was posting and pretending to be an Ordnance Board official who had details of secret testing of Leitner-Wise rifles by the Army. One of the shill user names was hipfiredgun I believe.

It all turned out to be hogwash and the Board of Directors and investors in his firm forced him out.

I have owned recent production LWRC rifles and they have been perfect in function and form. I don't have any experience with the older models. Maybe someone else can chime in about quality and issues of rifles similar to yours.
View Quote
Centroid good info, I knew there was something behind this...I got the story wrong, but knew Leitner Wise was somehow associated with the current LWRC

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is an example of his two faced bullshit.

Archived Thread from hfg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top