BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks only cosmetic, could have been worse, SW managed to pin my fsb canted then install the barrel canted on top of that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Normal for a Colt.  

Butthurt is normal for a noob. 

There is probably more you haven't found yet.  You may want to make sure your valium and fentanyl prescriptions are topped off.  

Shoot the fucking thing. That is what they were made for. 
View Quote
THIS.

Wait 'til  you see where it looks like they Dremeled the feed ramps and you'll REALLY think it's used.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The OP's 6920 reminds me of the 1st 1 I bought 2011

I picked up one at Bud's Gun's over the weekend on the other hand that's the nicest and tightest fitting 6920 I've got (I have 3 now, 2011, 2014 and 2017)

Only marks on mine are from me using a punch to install the trigger guard Saturday
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You're such a whore.  You could at least wait until he's drunk before you offer $20 for it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Send to me for proper disposal.
You're such a whore.  You could at least wait until he's drunk before you offer $20 for it
Only applies to Tweeter orange tarp sales.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Send to me for proper disposal.

Hey, I'll give him $87 bucks for it
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]
My LMT MRP had some little marks out of the box.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the day, I gave up my weapons card for a M16 that I didn't care what it looked like. Shot expert with it.
Today I expect a little more then mil-spec in regards to fit and finish. Use to use one as a tool. Now it's a pastime.
To the OP, your Colt is fine as far as Colt's go. If you want something better then the government uses, build one yourself.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]
...and this is why I don't own a Colt

Those look normal, that is how Colts, and most rifles you buy in a retail store come. Did you pay "full price"? I would have gotten a discount out of them for the minor dings - new is new, floor model is floor model. But I pay real close attention when I am handing someone close to 1k.

Though, to everyone saying that tool marks, assembly marks and handling marks are normal - when you buy a new car, are you also OK with scratched paint, dirty floor mats, hand prints all over windows inside, full ash tray, etc? Yes you will put all of those marks there, some withing a day of use. Cause my common sense tells me "new in box" means no hands have touched it between the factory and me. If it spent time as a display model, common courtesy is to drop a few bucks off the price.

Cheers,
S.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Unhappy?? Seriously?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with that rifle.  Like others have said it is just some cosmetic marks from handling or during assembly.  Would I be excited about it?  No.  I wouldn't worry about it at all.  I have a couple of Colts that have similar marks on them and don't care.  I recently picked up a USED 6920 and it looks brand new with no marks of any kind on it.  
Like they say, Colt builds war horses not show ponies.  Go shoot it and enjoy it.  :)

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Typical Colt! looks good, now go shoot it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Look at the feed ramp and see if there's a good amount of coating had came off.  New rifle should have very little, if any, wear in the feed ramp. Your 6920 look new, it ain't pretty like a Daniel Defense but it'll be a tack driver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Break it down and look at the bolt and thru the barrel into a bright light.

Look from the chamber to the muzzle.
What exactly should I be looking for?

And thanks for the posts guys.  I think I feel a bit better about it.  I just want to be able to trust my gun shop, you know?  I wanna spend my cash locally, I could easily go to gunbroker or a number of other places.
Look at the feed ramp and see if there's a good amount of coating had came off.  New rifle should have very little, if any, wear in the feed ramp. Your 6920 look new, it ain't pretty like a Daniel Defense but it'll be a tack driver.
While 6920 Colts should be duty ready, I would not use 6920 and tack driver in the same sentence.  A gov't profile 16" chrome lined  barrel from Colt is a rack grade barrel intended to shoot M193 and M855 ammo at the same mediocre level of the ammo - 2 to 3 MOA and have a long barrel life..  While good for that purpose, don't expect better.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While 6920 Colts should be duty ready, I would not use 6920 and tack driver in the same sentence.  A gov't profile 16" chrome lined  barrel from Colt is a rack grade barrel intended to shoot M193 and M855 ammo at the same mediocre level of the ammo - 2 to 3 MOA and have a long barrel life..  While good for that purpose, don't expect better.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#14]
My 6920 bought NIB came with several minor scratches and the same missing anodizing spots on the lower receiver as the

op's. Seems par for the course from Colt these days.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#15]
First thing I'll say is that those pics of little tiny marks are pretty common and nothing to get in a tizzy about. The thing is meant to be a tool, not a showpiece.

However...the incorrectly installed flash hider is an example of poor/sloppy workmanship (by Colt). That's such an easy thing to install, and an easy mistake to catch, it suggests to me that other more critical parts could (likely) also be/become an issue.

I'd also venture to say that the people in here saying "yep...looks like a Colt" are the exact same people who will come in to a "brand X vs brand Y" thread (that has nothing to do with Colt) and say, "you should just buy a COLT!". Lol

Anyway that's my 2¢. I'm not hating on Colt. I am however suggesting that they are not the end all be all AR that a lot of guys think they are.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That slot isn't required to be in line with the front sight.
View Quote
One half the slot width either direction.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Take it out and toss it down the driveway a few times.  Then you won't worry about it as much.

ETA. Congrats on new enough rifle
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait till brass marks show up on your brass deflector.

Only way to avoid that is to not shoot it.

OP - nothing to worry about - just normal wear. Stick around here long enough and you will paint it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
My 6920 can run with my Noveske Light Recce when shooting 69 grain and 77 grain GMM.  And the Noveske is a consistent 1 MOA rifle.  I was a more than a bit surprised that it did TBH.  But it did nonetheless.

ETA the 6920 wears an LT 7 inch rail.

OP...my 2006ish 6920 sported a few handling marks as well.  I wouldn't sweat it.  The gun has been absolutely perfect over thousands of rounds and was the gun I used my first couple of years of shooting 3 gun.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't see anything wrong with it?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Ya know it always cracks me up, if an aero precision rifle came like that would everyone be so lacksed ? Buy a new car does it come with dents In the door? Just cause it's a colt it's ok?  A lot of other manufacturers seem to get out a rifle with better fit and finish for close to the same price, why can't they? My rifles all have wear on them, some more than others but I put it there. I mean if I've been building the same product forever I think I should be able to streamline the process and really be ahead of the curve.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]
As many others have mentioned...that's just the way some Colts look straight from the factory.  I've cut the seals on quite a few new Colt 6520, 6720 and 6920 rifles over the years and Colts vary greatly in the amount of factory applied handling / assembly marks-scuffs-scratches.

Go shoot it.

Congrats on a great rifle.  You selected very very well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I think that the volume of ARs that Colt puts out factors in.

I dont mind marks on my $800 carbine, but I would on my $42k Silverado.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Little tan rattle can treatment and you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought a factory blem upper and lower from BCM.   I whacked the underside of the forward assist with a slipped punch.  And after I did it, I didn't care.  I accidentally dropped the upper later on the floor.  Pick it up, blow the wood chips off, not sure if it looks any worse.  The assembly process was quick and dirty with my only concern being how it shot afterward.  That's the beauty of factory blems.  Take a pristine piece, and that first scratch hurts.  Something that comes a little rough from the get go, and you can use it freely without worry.  And that's what an AR is for.  I had a mild stroke the first time I put a *tiny* dent in my Beretta O/U.  BCM is ready for whatever though.  Your colt is going to be the same way.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#26]
OP:  Colt assembles all their new rifles using rusty Stillson wrenches on uncovered, diamondplate steel tables and always does a final, pre-approval, pre-shipment drop test down 13 steps of concrete stairs with each new rifle they build.

I think you should return your rifle.  Looks like they skipped the drop test.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#27]
It's already been said, but I'll add to it just to bolster the statement: That's normal for a Colt + It'll show more wear the first time you shoot it + it's a tool blah blah blah.

But really, Colt is known for churning out rifles with lots of "handling" marks on them. Little dings in the anodization here and there, overspray on the T marks, dings in the plastic.  But they are also known for being mil-spec, reliable, and work horses.  
It's the difference between buying a Stanley hammer, and a Ferrari.   Did you want something to hammer nails with, or something that looks pretty in your garage?

I'm with you though, not knowing any better I would have reached out to the hive too.  I think you're on the right track.  Go shoot it, buy a lot of ammo and mags, and then spray paint it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top