BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2017 4:30:52 PM EDT
Not seen one of these for a while. It's supposed to never happen, so thought these pictures worth sharing.

This was not from a high volume gun (as can be seen by bolt face) and it was using Federal 55gr. Not sure what happened other than the indestructible lobster tail extractor is not indestructible.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not seen one of these for a while. It's supposed to never happen, so thought these pictures worth sharing.

This was not from a high volume gun (as can be seen by bolt face) and it was using Federal 55gr. Not sure what happened other than the indestructible lobster tail extractor is not indestructible.

http://i64.tinypic.com/29icmh.png

http://i66.tinypic.com/2wmkffp.png
View Quote

This is why I sold my SR-15 Mod 0's upper...I wasn't a fan of anything proprietary.  And because of this some KAC Fan-boi castigated me for even considering this...I wish I could remember that's fool's name.  Anyhow, sold the upper to fund a suppressor and put an LE6940 upper on the SR-15 lower...it shoots like a laser.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a low grade KB

Bolt did good!
View Quote
That's what it looks like.  The extractor claw is pulled away from the other teeth.  Not sure how this would happen unless a case was about to let go or did slightly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
No doubt on it being an over-pressured round, and the resulting mess.

Bad part was zero spare lobster tail extractors to be had in an LEO class of 30+ people so that gun was out for the count.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for more info
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Does not look like a normal failure. Might want to post in the KAC forum. I imagine they would like to take a look at it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bad part was zero spare lobster tail extractors to be had in an LEO class of 30+ people so that gun was out for the count.
View Quote
The KAC E3 bolt is suppose to have a better longevity than a standard Mil-Spec bolt under standard usage, basically, anything other than ammo failure/kaboom.
Seeing how the rest of the bolt held up just fine, we can't quantify a measurable fault to the (lack of)integrity of the E3 bolt.
Also, KAC never stated that the extractor is as 'beefy' and 'indestructible' as the bolt itself, the redesigned extractor can only aid in better reliability to the gun's extraction cycle.

Personally I have a feeling other bolts will have similar failure on the extractor itself.

Interesting picture none the less.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does not look like a normal failure. Might want to post in the KAC forum. I imagine they would like to take a look at it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Paging @Jack_L, @Sourmug, @KAC_Sales
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:07:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I've read to expect 35k out of their bolt. I would have expected more tbh. There are $100 lifetime warranty standard bcg's doing that and better. They don't require unicorn barrels either. I must say it does look very well designed except for the dual springs. I hate that. Imo inferior. Two even tinier springs expected to do better? Give me a standard setup with a Sprinco everytime. If there were a 2nd standard size spring, maybe one moved towards the extraction claw, then you'd have something(not needed). I've heard the e3 is a little beefier and the rounded edges should be standard for every bolt. So props for that much, but sell spare barrels at least! Even if only to rifle owners. Greed and being control freaks = < $.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
To be fair I don't see anything that falls under the bolt failing. But the extractor definitely is done for. Contact KAC, I'm sure they will make it right. They took care of me on something that wasn't even their fault
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've read to expect 35k out of their bolt. I would have expected more tbh. There are $100 lifetime warranty standard bcg's doing that and better. They don't require unicorn barrels either. I must say it does look very well designed except for the dual springs. I hate that. Imo inferior. Two even tinier springs expected to do better? Give me a standard setup with a Sprinco everytime. If there were a 2nd standard size spring, maybe one moved towards the extraction claw, then you'd have something(not needed). I've heard the e3 is a little beefier and the rounded edges should be standard for every bolt. So props for that much, but sell spare barrels at least! Even if only to rifle owners. Greed and being control freaks = < $.
View Quote
KAC will replace your barrel for a fee if you need to.

The E3 extractor springs are much longer than the standard AR extractor spring, and the diameter of the coil itself is not that much thinner.
The E3 extractor springs are also under much less compression than the standard spring.
LMT also uses the same design in their 'enhanced bolt'.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:34:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting failure. I have an SR-15 MOD 2 that has around 9000 rounds on it, with the majority being suppressed still going strong.

I am more than certain Knight's Armament will get you squared away. Jack or Adam Pini with KAC should be contacting you soon, or you can email [email protected] regarding your issue.

Any more info on the failure?

@Jack_L
@KAC_Sales
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Shouldn't this thread be renamed to "Broken Knight's extractor"?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#16]
So an over pressure round chipped the extractor (the world is ending) and we blame kac?  Interesting photo but the bolt itself appears to be fine.Nobody(outside of kac) can show an e3 bolt that's had a actual failure from use and not a fud round.No bolt on earth is immune to a drunk ammo loader or brass that's been loaded 10 times.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Funny to watch fanbois get preterbed
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Funny to watch fanbois get preterbed
View Quote
Even more fun to watch people clutter up a technical thread with useless drivel, and other people that can't use common sense to diagnose a failure, nor accurately describe what happened.

Nothing is indestructible, especially when it appears to be an over-pressure situation.

Regardless, thread title is misleading.  Extractor =/= bolt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That is a low grade KB

Bolt did good!
View Quote
Yep. Bolt is fine, just replace the extractor.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Do we know it was an overpressure round or just all guessing here?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#25]
More pics? Gun? Chamber/barrel extension? The spent case?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
normal  e3 bolt and extractor

e3 bolt with bowed outward extractor

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you knew it was a over pressure round but came here anyway to troll KAC? Weak sauce.

BTW, if the operator didn't have a spare extractor to repair his over pressure round that's his failure not Knight's!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a low grade KB

Bolt did good!
SR15 Field Repair Kit

I keep one in the stock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Having experienced an over pressure round/case failure with a standard bolt, that's pretty much what it looks like.  Bows the extractor out as that's the path of least resistance for the pressure.

Bad bolt failure is more likely to shear lugs/crack at the cam pin/crack lugs - without the extractor getting bent out the side.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
No need to guess, its blatantly obvious.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So you knew it was a over pressure round but came here anyway to troll KAC? Weak sauce.

BTW, if the operator didn't have a spare extractor to repair his over pressure round that's his failure not Knight's!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for pointing this out, highlighted to accentuate the OP's agenda.

To the OP, are you an instructor?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SR15 Field Repair Kit

I keep one in the stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a low grade KB

Bolt did good!
SR15 Field Repair Kit

I keep one in the stock.
Does that also fit an LMT enhanced bolt? Do they use the same extractor and springs?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Does that also fit an LMT enhanced bolt? Do they use the same extractor and springs?
View Quote
Don't know the answer to that, I'd assumed it's for KAC only.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shouldn't this thread be renamed to "Broken Knight's extractor"?
View Quote
This. Looks like a major case head separation happened.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Even more fun to watch people clutter up a technical thread with useless drivel, and other people that can't use common sense to diagnose a failure, nor accurately describe what happened.

Nothing is indestructible, especially when it appears to be an over-pressure situation.

Regardless, thread title is misleading.  Extractor =/= bolt.
View Quote
this

you got idiots bashing the best made bolt in the business, when the bolt took a KB and the only thing that was wrecked was the extractor

In another gun you would see lugs gone, or the entire gun in parts

@elucidate change the title, the bolt is fine
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
educated guess

the extractor is the 1st thing to give in a KB, the next would be the lugs, specially the one adjacent to the extractor.

This was not from wear, and that leaves one thing that could cause those brass marks
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

this

you got idiots bashing the best made bolt in the business, when the bolt took a KB and the only thing that was wrecked was the extractor

In another gun you would see lugs gone, or the entire gun in parts

@elucidate change the title, the bolt is fine
View Quote
Not necessarily.  Here is mine after a minor KB took out the extractor.

It did blow the magazine out of the bottom.  I put a new extractor in it and put it back to work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This is why I sold my SR-15 Mod 0's upper...I wasn't a fan of anything proprietary.  And because of this some KAC Fan-boi castigated me for even considering this...I wish I could remember that's fool's name.  Anyhow, sold the upper to fund a suppressor and put an LE6940 upper on the SR-15 lower...it shoots like a laser.
View Quote

you must be a fan of illogical arguments as well.

nothing is wrong with the bolt, it actually handled better than your colt would have.

Not having spare parts for your gun is a shortsighted owners fault, not KACs or anything related to proprietary parts
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like others have mentioned, that bolt looks fine after a mini kaboom, get a new extractor.

Not the first time I've heard of issues with Federal 55gr ammo. XM-193? I've had Federal XM-193 rounds with inconsistent recoil impulse and popped primers in the past. A popped primer caused my rifle to lock up hard at a LMS Defense course years ago, had to get the instructor to help take the rifle apart as mortaring didn't help at all. Since I didn't have a second rifle at the time and I slowed the class down over a fucking little primer getting stuck between the gas key and CH I was pissed. One of the main reasons why I shoot and stockpile Wolf Gold today.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, I leave the thread for a day and there is

1. A bunch of KAC detractors screaming 'I told you so'
2. A bunch of KAC fanboys getting mad
3. One or more defensive KAC reps

I'm no stranger to what actually went on, and yes, I know it's not a bolt issue, it's a critical part of the bolt assembly though and this is important. If a disconnector spring breaks I'm not going to post 'disconnector spring failure' as without it, the entire trigger is useless, same case here, bolt assembly is now useless until extractor is fixed.
Why is it important to note it's a critical part? Well KB's can happen. All of the ammo being used here was factory ammo as issued to PDs. If a KB does happen, then in this case, the bolt became inoperable. You should have spares if you have proprietary kit. The shooter in this case didn't, so that is his fault, not the fault of KAC. Basically critical parts should have multiple backups.

Also, because of the proprietary nature, no-one had a spare to hand, if it'd been a standard Colt TDP part, there would have been 10+ handed over instantly.

This is no different to an HK416 or LMT parts failure. Both (as well as KAC) use a ton of proprietary parts and people should be aware of this.

Why did I share the picture? Because this is the first EVER failure of a KAC anything that I have seen. That makes it interesting. If I chronicled Radical Firearms failures I'd have a 90 page thread entirely with my own posts.

KAC/LMT bolts rarely fail, this is certainly the first I've seen in many years of running classes. Therefore it is interesting to share.

People need to stop slinging mud! This is simply a "look at thing I've never seen before" thread.

No-one could find the round so I don't know what it looks like, but it was a 55gr 556. I would expect it was very weak brass or a very hot load, as even proof loads (125% pressure) don't do this to extractors.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#42]
so what  you just told us is it had nothing to do with kac's bolt failing and you just blamed them for no reason.

got it
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
Wow, I leave the thread for a day and there is

1. A bunch of KAC detractors screaming 'I told you so'
2. A bunch of KAC fanboys getting mad
3. One or more defensive KAC reps

I'm no stranger to what actually went on, and yes, I know it's not a bolt issue, it's a critical part of the bolt assembly though and this is important. If a disconnector spring breaks I'm not going to post 'disconnector spring failure' as without it, the entire trigger is useless, same case here, bolt assembly is now useless until extractor is fixed.
Why is it important to note it's a critical part? Well KB's can happen. All of the ammo being used here was factory ammo as issued to PDs. If a KB does happen, then in this case, the bolt became inoperable. You should have spares if you have proprietary kit. The shooter in this case didn't, so that is his fault, not the fault of KAC. Basically critical parts should have multiple backups.

Also, because of the proprietary nature, no-one had a spare to hand, if it'd been a standard Colt TDP part, there would have been 10+ handed over instantly.
View Quote
You already said it is the ammo failure, you can't blame it on the bolt and the manufacturer of the bolt.
When you have an ammo failure like what is shown in your pictures, and you don't have any spare parts, you can only blame the ammo/ammo manufacturer, IMHO we shouldn't even fault the shooter/owner of the rifle.

I don't think anyone is being defensive or mad... the guys here are simply stating what is actually happening.
Basically, it is not simply a 'Broken Knights Bolt' that happened by standard usage, but rather, 'Broken Knight's Extractor Caused by Ammo Failure'.

Maybe next time buy a spare parts kit just to be safe?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
so what  you just told us is it had nothing to do with kac's bolt failing and you just blamed them for no reason.

got it
View Quote
Please quote where I blamed KAC...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Things I learned in this thread

Kac fans get very defensive very fast.

Haven't seen it that bad since the last bcm vs colt thread.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like the bolt did its job and then some. If I made that bolt and it held up that well I would be proud of it. Craig
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
aside from creating the thread telling everyone a kac bolt failed? lol

Things break everyday and kac rifles are no exception to that.Starting a thread to tell everyone an e3 bolt failed when in fact a crap round destroyed the extractor is the problem.If you just posted that you were surprised that a problem round broke what you thought would be an indestructible extractor it would be different.The way it was written lays blame on one of their parts like it was supposed to somehow stop brass from coming apart at the wrong location and it failed because it was weak.You didn't clarify it wasn't their fault till long after this was posted and people pointed it out.Lots of us spend good money on a product with a good reputation and of course we'll defend it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Opened this expecting exactly what it is. Change the title OP.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
How about you go back and read your posts, and figure it out on your own?

Really, it ain't hard to spot.  If it is, start with the thread title, then the two posts where you contradict yourself saying you have no idea what happened, then state you knew it was ammo related.

That would be a good start.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Things I learned in this thread

Kac fans get very defensive very fast.

Haven't seen it that bad since the last bcm vs colt thread.
View Quote
This. Y'all need to chill out. If this was any other brand you wouldn't give a shit if the bolt is specified or just the extractor in the title.

Take the story for what it's worth, a very rare occurrence, where the shooter was underprepared for his proprietary system. For those that think their E3 bolts are good for life, realize that you'll want a spare just in case, especially because it's proprietary. Bad shit can happen to the most robust systems.

And stop witch hunting, just because a product you like has cons pointed out doesn't mean the op is here to troll or push an agenda. I wouldn't of worded the op like it is, but accusations of trolling are a stretch.

Let this teachable moment be a teachable moment, without the excessive defensiveness.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top