Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2017 10:27:29 PM EDT
Hello gents,  

Went to the range today and tried to top my last trip with the .223. Last time I wasn't super impressed with what it did. I knew there was more there and the shooter is the issue. So today I went straight to 400 and set up the targets. Dialed my dope and put up a few groups.

Rig:

Hand loads in the background

Results:

First group (top group), very first round was the far right round. Idk if that was first round poi shift or just me
.552 MOA

Second group, made a small scope adjustment. now I was impressed with this one.
.382 MOA

We set up a bunch of 4inch clays so I went on to shoot those next. Was kinda more fun so no more groups after that. I guess next hunt will be 1/4 MOA. To be continued.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Good shooting!  Your groups are actually a little better than you measured.  Your supposed to measure from the middle of the two outside holes not the outer edge
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good shooting!  Your groups are actually a little better than you measured.  Your supposed to measure from the middle of the two outside holes not the outer edge
View Quote
Actually he is doing it right. You measure to outside edge of farthest two holes and subtract .224". Its more precise to do it that way than trying to guesstimate the centers of the holes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Actually he is doing it right. You measure to outside edge of farthest two holes and subtract .224". Its more precise to do it that way than trying to guesstimate the centers of the holes.
View Quote
Yep! That's it
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Which barrel ya got in there?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Good shooting!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Which barrel ya got in there?
View Quote
Larue stealth

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone makes a better barrel than them in .223 for the AR platform. It does better than other higher end manufacturers that I have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I need a new barrel. Or skills.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I stand corrected
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's how I look at it.  

The accuracy potential of the ammo, rifle and shooter manifest themselves in the vertical dispersion on those targets.

The shooter's skill in reading and correcting for the wind, doping the wind, manifests itself in the horizontal dispersion.  

Now, you have to deduct the vertical dispersion from the horizontal (as an estimate of ammo, rifle and shooter error) but what's left is all about doping the wind.  

Eyeballing the targets shown, you have about - 0.8" vertical group size (0.2 MOA) on both targets; 2" wide groups (0.5 MOA).  This is an ammo, rifle, shooter that are capable of 0.2 MOA groups, even at 400 yards.  That is overlaid with about 0.3 MOA of wind doping error, the beast that rules the shooting world.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top