Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 10:44:39 AM EDT
This is an instructive post, this recently happened to my rifle.  The take home lesson is "watch your ammo" and for people to see what exactly happens when an AR blows the fuck up.

My buddy was shooting my rifle, using a magazine that had been in his ammo box for a while.  He does reload but both of us shoot allot and a random round might have ended up in it, even in the dark.

I have two guesses as to what happened, but I'll let y'all say what you think happened so as to not sully your thoughts.  

No one was hurt, but it was exciting.

I've already replaced the rifle.

That is a piece of the BCG between the upper and lower

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This was recovered from the barrel... total weight was 83g

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry about your gun OP.

I'm guessing squib load. Bolt was then manually cycled followed by a normal load.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing loaded 300 blackout into a 5.56 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry about your gun OP.

I'm guessing squib load. Bolt was then manually cycled followed by a normal load.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#4]
83gr's too light for a .300 in a .223, too heavy for a single .223 .
certainly appears to be 2 projectiles, but without more info (click, manual cycle, fire?) can't know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
My guess, too

Did your buddy pay for the new rifle?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Out of battery discharge of a larger caliber?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a oversize bullet to me, necked down and squeezed out in the barrel. I'm going with 85gr 6.8 round in a 5.56 rifle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]
y'all have found my two guesses.

Quoted:
83gr's too light for a .300 in a .223, too heavy for a single .223 .
certainly appears to be 2 projectiles, but without more info (click, manual cycle, fire?) can't know.
View Quote
I'm thinking 300, because I can imagine the bullet losing weight easier than having two rounds fuse so completely.  It can't be seen but the copper on the recovered projectile looks like a hollow or soft point.  Which would mean that the first round (or only round if it was a 300) found its way in to his magazine.  So whatever it was he didn't load it.  Yes it was click-manual cycle-kaboom, which is why my buddy thinks two rounds with the first being a squib.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My guess, too

View Quote
Yes, he felt worse about it than me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My guess, too

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess, too

I'm amazed you don't see more user injury from this stuff
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm amazed you don't see more user injury from this stuff
View Quote
I am very impressed with the ability of the gun to NOT injure someone after this.  I think it would have fucked up his hand (not severely) if he had used a magwell grip.  And that's ironic, because I have laughed at that particular argument against the magwell grip.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess, too

that's how you know he's your friend
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the lower damaged?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is the lower damaged?
View Quote
Yes, the magwell is about a 1/4 inch wider than it should be now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Do either one of you guys own or ever owned 300 BO? If yes, that is the answer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Neck separation of the previous round, and following round kaboomed and extruded through/beside it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]
let's think this through.
if the misfire was a .223 squib you would have manually ejected a empty .223 case and it would have been mixed in with the others, no clue there.
if the misfire was a not in battery .300 followed by a in battery .300 (kaboom) a unfired .300 would have been ejected, did you find a unfired .300?
can (did) you determine which case was manually ejected?
was it a unfired round? either .223 or .300?
was it (the misfire) the first attempt  after a magazine change, or a number of rounds in?
is it possible the "misfire" was a unloaded chamber due to the bolt carrier not picking up the first round? 
did you recover enough case to I.D. it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hello Currahee,

Sorry to see your rifle in that condition, but glad to see you are ok. Will send you a PM now in regards to your rail.

V/R,

GACS
View Quote
Class Act
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Can't tell from these pictures, but it looks like the cam-pin is vertical in the photo.  Odd.  If the bullet were lodged in the barrel, that means no gas to run the BCG.  Weird that the cam-pin is rotated to the unlock position.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
.  Yes it was click-manual cycle-kaboom, which is why my buddy thinks two rounds with the first being a squib.
View Quote
did you see the case when he extracted it???

I bet a not fully seated 223 bullet stuck on the lands followed by another shot
1st click was because bolt was not fully seated,
extract the case without the bullet,
manual cycle jammed the stuck bullet in there farther, cramming the second bullet down the case

boom when too much bullet for the barrel.

a 300/223 combo can do the same but the way the bullets look combined with the fact you have to smash the 300 bullet in there with a lot of cycles as well as f/a action I dont think it was a 300.

double 556 bullets can stack with one cycle as I've done it before-narrowly missing a kaboom when i saw the powder next to the gun
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Class Act
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Currahee,

Sorry to see your rifle in that condition, but glad to see you are ok. Will send you a PM now in regards to your rail.

V/R,

GACS
Class Act
Awesome indeed, and why I support the company whenever possible.  Both pieces suffered no damage at all.

But the G trigger is already in another build, and the ALG rail will be sometime soon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#23]
We did not find any unusual brass on the ground.  We looked pretty carefully but it's a busy range, so missing it would be likely.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#24]
SO I'm the guilty party here.    IMO the root of this is shooter carelessness on my part.  I was checking out the reticle on this new optic on Curahee's rifle, and grabbed a 20 round magazine out of my box that was all random range pickups. (no 300s, no reloads, etc)  I usually pick them up after matches, and whatnot when I am policing up the area.    SO..  its really that simple... don't shoot ammo that you don't know.     I should have been disassembling them, and harvesting the brass, and possibly projectiles.  

I had a FTF.    Not a squib that I or anyone else could tell.   There was no audible pop, there was no recoil. Just click, and no bang.   I racked that round out.   I SUSPECT that the projectile stayed in the chamber.  Maybe it was loaded long?  Maybe the powder was wet, and it had enough pressure to be lodged in the lands and grooves?  Then I loaded another round in, took aim, and it made a loud bang...  resulting in what you see here.  I suspect that the new round was seated in the chamber, and compressing the 2 projectiles on top of each other. Making a compressed load, etc.  

I have never had a 300aac round in my possession, much less loaded into a magazine.    

This ruined a bunch of good parts, including a lower, and I still feel pretty bad about that. All of it was replaceable, and no one got injured. Thankfully it was not a SBR, or Transferable MG...  I couldn't imagine what I would be doing about that.  I am VERY thankful for no injuries to myself or others, and that it was only a (relatively) cheap mistake.  

My advice...
#1 don't shoot rounds you don't know!
#2 Wear glasses!   You only have 1 set of eyes.  
#3 Don't think it can't happen to you
#3 Use QUALITY parts.. I really think the bolt in this gun saved me.  It is from a majorly well respected maker of Bolts, and it took one HELL of a beating. If this had been some cheapo non inspected bolt, I think the gun may have actually come apart, and injured me.  The bolt REALLY saved the day.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
 I suspect that the new round was seated in the chamber, and compressing the 2 projectiles on top of each other. Making a compressed load, etc.  
View Quote
if you didnt have any 300 BO then its basically the only way.

did you see any unburnt powder anywhere
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
SO I'm the guilty party here.    IMO the root of this is shooter carelessness on my part.  I was checking out the reticle on this new optic on Curahee's rifle, and grabbed a 20 round magazine out of my box that was all random range pickups. (no 300s, no reloads, etc)  I usually pick them up after matches, and whatnot when I am policing up the area.    SO..  its really that simple... don't shoot ammo that you don't know.     I should have been disassembling them, and harvesting the brass, and possibly projectiles.  

I had a FTF.    Not a squib that I or anyone else could tell.   There was no audible pop, there was no recoil. Just click, and no bang.   I racked that round out.   I SUSPECT that the projectile stayed in the chamber.  Maybe it was loaded long?  Maybe the powder was wet, and it had enough pressure to be lodged in the lands and grooves?  Then I loaded another round in, took aim, and it made a loud bang...  resulting in what you see here.  I suspect that the new round was seated in the chamber, and compressing the 2 projectiles on top of each other. Making a compressed load, etc.  

I have never had a 300aac round in my possession, much less loaded into a magazine.    

This ruined a bunch of good parts, including a lower, and I still feel pretty bad about that. All of it was replaceable, and no one got injured. Thankfully it was not a SBR, or Transferable MG...  I couldn't imagine what I would be doing about that.  I am VERY thankful for no injuries to myself or others, and that it was only a (relatively) cheap mistake.  

My advice...
#1 don't shoot rounds you don't know!
#2 Wear glasses!   You only have 1 set of eyes.  
#3 Don't think it can't happen to you
#3 Use QUALITY parts.. I really think the bolt in this gun saved me.  It is from a majorly well respected maker of Bolts, and it took one HELL of a beating. If this had been some cheapo non inspected bolt, I think the gun may have actually come apart, and injured me.  The bolt REALLY saved the day.  
View Quote
Thank you for posting.  

I've shot and seen people shoot a lot of ammo of unknown progeny.  Everything from seized ammo that is ordered to be disposed, to store return ammo called in, to widow's clearing out cabinets, to you name it, to someone doing range pickups.  I've seen someone purposely collect up range pick-ups over weeks, and then spend an entire shooting session just shooting that ammo (which boggles my mind that he was able to find that much).  In that time, I've learned about range pick-ups two things:
1) Beware 9mm ammo, as someone may have been trying to "make major", which is IDPA shooters super-charging 9mm in a purpose reinforced 9mm, to basically .38 super power; in a 9mm.  
2) Beware of wet powder.  A decent portion of range-pickup ammo has wet powder/wet primers.  

Neither of these in themselves will typically cause a kaboom in a good strong arm, but they can sure cascade into one - particularly the wet powder.  Because of exactly what happened to you.  Either that, or you had a 6.8 that looked like .223 and missed it.  But more likely, in your case, that first shot had wet powder and squibed, and the next shot went right into it.   The biggest question though is what happened to the wet gun-powder, from the squib?  I would expect there to be unburned powder either in one of the cases on the ground you inspected, and/or in the gun - and it doesn't sound like either was found.

[Edit to add - this is NOT an endorsement.  Even though I've seen lots of shots fired with that sort of stuff, this is never going to be something that's going to be labelled as a "good idea"!]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#27]
We did not see any unburned powder on the ground mainly because this shooting area was wet clay with TONS of other casings, and debris all over the ground.    None in the gun either, but after that much gas going everywhere, I doubt there would be.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't shoot range pickups period.

I have seen some outrageously bad reloads at matches.  Super hot rounds that split brass and blew primers, powder puffs that squibbed, uncrimped/undersized rounds that literally fell apart in the magazine.

No way I would shoot anything picked up from the range.  I also won't reload rifle brass from the range (unless it's mine) and I inspect range pistol brass VERY carefully.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hello Currahee,

V/R,

GACS
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
yep
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep
nope

Please read thread in entitety
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Class Act
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Currahee,

V/R,

GACS
Class Act
Every time
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Awesome indeed, and why I support the company whenever possible.  Both pieces suffered no damage at all.

But the G trigger is already in another build, and the ALG rail will be sometime soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Currahee,

V/R,

GACS
Class Act

just going out on a limb here but they "may" want the rail and the trigger back to inspect them to see how well they did hold up during the kaboom. thats some serious R&D that companies can't get any other way unless there is an accident. by returning them to "G" it can help make the product even better. JMHO
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top