Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2017 12:31:49 AM EDT
I'm planning to put together a 7.62x39 AR for a "truck gun". Its intended use would be mostly general vehicle born defense and perhaps some consideration for home defense (tho I have a regular carbine for that). The pistol would be a 10.5" with Thordson cheek rest. The carbine would be a 16" with Deadfoot Arms folding stock which allows firing in the folded position. The pistol and the carbine with stock folded would both be around 27"-28". The pistol would allow a good cheek weld at that length. The carbine would not. But the carbine would allow for greater accuracy and more rapid follow up shots with the stock deployed. Either one would have a Vortex Spitfire AR 1x for its optic.

The Deadfoot Arms folding stock kit is expensive but I already have a 7.62x39 carbine to base that build on. I don't currently own an AR pistol, so I would need everything. So the cost is probably a toss up.

What is the general consensus on which of these would make the best "truck gun"?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
In my state your not allowed to have a loaded rifle/long gun in your vehicle, but you are allowed loaded handguns. For this reason, I would go with a pistol build.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm planning to put together a 7.62x39 AR for a "truck gun". Its intended use would be mostly general vehicle born defense and perhaps some consideration for home defense (tho I have a regular carbine for that). The pistol would be a 10.5" with Thordson cheek rest. The carbine would be a 16" with Deadfoot Arms folding stock which allows firing in the folded position. The pistol and the carbine with stock folded would both be around 27"-28". The pistol would allow a good cheek weld at that length. The carbine would not. But the carbine would allow for greater accuracy and more rapid follow up shots with the stock deployed. Either one would have a Vortex Spitfire AR 1x for its optic.

The Deadfoot Arms folding stock kit is expensive but I already have a 7.62x39 carbine to base that build on. I don't currently own an AR pistol, so I would need everything. So the cost is probably a toss up.

What is the general consensus on which of these would make the best "truck gun"?
View Quote

If you are buying the dead foot, mind as well spend a little more for a pinned 14.5" barrel

Only downside is I don't think Faxon or Voodoo make the skinny muzzle devices in 7.62 incase you wanna change things later.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a pistol just for the reason I can have it loaded with me as my concealed carry gun. Though I'm not sure if a jury would decide if it's a defensive weapon or an offensive weapon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a pistol just for the reason I can have it loaded with me as my concealed carry gun. Though I'm not sure if a jury would decide if it's a defensive weapon or an offensive weapon.
View Quote
Your comment motivated me to check Texas law. I found that there are no laws restricting rifles or shotguns in personal vehicals - loaded or not - concealed or not. But "handguns" must either be concealed or if not concealed, carried in a belt or shoulder holster.

So that makes a folding stock carbine the more legally practical option.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:10:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Concealed is easy at least. Put a towel over it and it's concealed. Would recommend an AR pistol.If you live close to a state border it is more beneficial as well. Maneuverability is good
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
AR pistols these days are no joke.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AR pistols these days are no joke.  I love mine.
View Quote
No kidding.  I recently built a 9.5" barrel 300BO pistol.  I went both ways with building a pistol and using a LAW Tactical folder.  With my suppressor attached and the stock folded, this is a very manageable package that is quickly deployable.  Using subs, this thing is a tack driver with 208g Hornady ELD-M's up to about 120 yards.  I'm using a KAK Shockwave brace for a good cheek weld stabilization.  AR pistol options are impressive now days.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top