Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2017 9:38:21 PM EDT
A little backstory.

I'm the type of guy that has about five very good friends in my life. Two are bachelors, three are married.

The first had a boy two years ago, and he was over bitching about all the showers, pomp and circumstance, etc one day over a few beers. How the kid wouldn't remember his first birthday party, etc.

The discussion moved on to memorable gifts, and memorable moments in a man's life.

I decided I was going to buy a part a year for an AR for his boy, then we'd assemble it together on his 18th birthday together. Or around his birthday, or I'd assemble it for him and give it to him. That part doesn't matter. The point is I'm getting him a gift he won't appreciate when he's 10, but then will instantly "get it" when he's 18.

A family friend did that for me with savings bonds, to draw an analogy.

The point is, these boys are growing up in good American households with good values. Including respect for firearms. All friends are gun owners, but not all are enthusiasts.

Now, my first friend is having his second kid (found out today), and the other two have buns in the oven.

So, four ARs now need to be built.

(I'm good with lowers)

I can't afford KACs, but not everything has to be budget.

I bought a Magpul stock for the first boy last year. Thinking MBTs for triggers. Quality, but I can catch them on sale.

Stag isn't much more than PSA compete upper wise, how do they compare?

Should I just invest in some tools and build the uppers myself?

I'm thinking I'd like to buy parts ahead of schedule, given the favorable political climate at the moment.

I don't need to buy everything today, I have 18 years...  and I have at least four years to get good prices.

Looking for any input on what parts to get when, good value, etc.

My goal is not to hand my friend's kids the cheapest guns possible, but they also don't need JP/KAC/LaRue/Noveske everything. It's a first rifle after all. All the families are with the program, only one father doesn't own one himself.

Any general tips or insight to complete this mission?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I used consecutive serial numbered lowers for a similar family gift-set concept.

If you do end up purchasing various parts over the years, consider including some mementos of each time-period to go along with the rifle. Sort of like a time-capsule. Maybe pics of the kids at the age they were when the parts were purchased. Stuff that will be cool for them to look back on when they get older - and remember how bad-ass you were for doing this for them.

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used consecutive serial numbered lowers for a similar family gift-set concept.

If you do end up purchasing various parts over the years, consider including some mementos of each time-period to go along with the rifle. Sort of like a time-capsule. Maybe pics of the kids at the age they were when the parts were purchased. Stuff that will be cool for them to look back on when they get older - and remember how bad-ass you were for doing this for them.

That's all I got.
View Quote
That's a great idea, and I appreciate it.

I wanted to post in tech because I was looking for part/value/build strategy, but that's a welcome addition and a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's a great idea, and I appreciate it.

I wanted to post in tech because I was looking for part/value/build strategy, but that's a welcome addition and a good idea.
View Quote
No prob.

part/value/build strategy: Buy the tools, build rifles and memories while bonding with your extended tribe = Value.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I would buy the tools and build the uppers, isn't very many tools and isn't hard to do, I've built 4 uppers in the last year. This will help you spread the costs a little bit more and you can cherry pick items like barrels, handguards and muzzle devices.

One cool thing I would do is get custom port door covers with either the kids name or Happy Birthday or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd build rather basic ones probably. They are builds, the 'growing into them' can be done with new parts.

Only think I know, I wouldn't go for a lightweight build, or use a compensator.

They don't need more recoil or think guns are really light. Also don't need horrible flinch from the blast from a comp. Just use an A2 flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any general tips or insight to complete this mission?
View Quote

Invest the money and buy improved/in vogue stuff in 18 years
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's all I got.
View Quote
Expanding on this.. maybe print an important gun-related article from each year to be included with the gift. Maybe this year you print something on the RRA/SA ordeal (although the year is young.. it may still  be topped).. next year maybe an article on an important piece of gun legislation etc..

I think it would be interesting in 18 years to see what the average gun owner thought was important at the time. In 18 years maybe (hopefully) everybody is buying suppressors at the LGS and walking out.. not even realizing the fight that was going on 18 years prior.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd build rather basic ones probably. They are builds, the 'growing into them' can be done with new parts.

Only think I know, I wouldn't go for a lightweight build, or use a compensator.

They don't need more recoil or think guns are really light. Also don't need horrible flinch from the blast from a comp. Just use an A2 flash hider.
View Quote
That's the route I think I'm going to do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Leaving any sort of optic (including BUIS) last for this reason.

Better optics and sights I'm sure will be out there when these are gifted.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Expanding on this.. maybe print an important gun-related article from each year to be included with the gift. Maybe this year you print something on the RRA/SA ordeal (although the year is young.. it may still  be topped).. next year maybe an article on an important piece of gun legislation etc..

I think it would be interesting in 18 years to see what the average gun owner thought was important at the time. In 18 years maybe (hopefully) everybody is buying suppressors at the LGS and walking out.. not even realizing the fight that was going on 18 years prior.
View Quote
That's not a bad idea at all. Crazy to think I was alive when the Hughes amendment passed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I would get the tools and build them myself. You will probably be like me and use the torque wrenches on other projects so it's more the worth it. Upper assembly is easy and you can customize it. Some advice I can give is make the builds light. I think your kids will appreciate them before they are 18 but the kids like them light especially girls. Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
What, you don't think retro guns are cool?  How many members on this site do you imagine have some sort of A1/A2 build?

To the OP:  Absolutely get the tools and build the uppers yourself.  Not only is it easy enough to do, but the 18-year-olds will have more appreciation in the fact that you built the entire rifle from parts, thus having even more sentimental value.

You are truly a great friend to your friends!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I did something similar last year for two nephews. I kept it simple, M4 type carbines. I found a good deal of some Colt 14.5" barrels here on the EE. I bought my BCGs from AIM. LPKs, buffer tubes came from PSA. I used an ALG QMS trigger. The upper and lower were stripped units from Anderson. I used H2 buffers and Springco blue action springs. Pinned and welded an extended A2 hider from BCM and went with Magpul MOE SL furniture. I used matching Magpul MBUS sights and went with a Vortex Sparc red dot on both of them. It ended up being about $650 a gun. You can probably get a similar set up for less taking advantage of one of those PSA sales.

The rifles I built are solid guns. As they get older they can upgrade them but for now they are good to go. If I had to do it again today I would save some money and jump on a PSA sale. The barrels they are offering are good and they will last.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
OP-
Good on you for passing it on.
One suggestion: include magazines, ammo, and maybe some spare parts.
We don't know what the years will bring.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP-
Good on you for passing it on.
One suggestion: include magazines, ammo, and maybe some spare parts.
We don't know what the years will bring.
View Quote
I was actually thinking about skimping on that aspect, and spend the cash on better parts.

I can't spend two grand on these things, but I definitely can spend more than $500/ea. I'm not cheaping out, nor am I going nuts.

I guess that's why I started this thread. Finding a nice balance.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#16]
BA Hanson
Geissele mk13
SSA-E
Magpul Furniture

2030 retro goodness
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:47:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy them all ruger 10/22's and give them to them at age eight if the parents consent, if not at 10.
This will get them their own rifle to learn to shoot, no optics, learn the irons.

As far as the AR, personnaly i would buy the parts then give them un assembled, let the son and dad assemble them. Loan out the tools.
That would be a excellent son dad bonding experience and at age 18, thats very important as most kids are establishing their own mindset at that age.
A good bonding experience can save a dad son relathionship.

You have a fantastic idea and i think its awesome that you would do this for extended family.
Buy basic parts as others have said, who knows if you will even be friends with these ppl in 5 much less 18 years from now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Until we're all shooting phased plasma rifles in the 40-watt range, a good rifle will always start with a good barrel, bolt and trigger.
A great way to start without destroying your budget would be to order Larue PredatAR barrels ($225) with the $99 add-on trigger.  Add a good quality BCG some time in the future, and you're well on your way to a lightweight, sub-MOA rifle.

I agree with the idea of waiting on the optics for a while, and would shop casually for decent ammo, but only when on sale, and only if you have someplace to store it properly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in the process of building 2 ARs for my boys.  I decided to build the complete upper minus the handguard and optic and build the lower minus the pistol grip and stock.  When it comes time I will have them pick out the finishing touches and help with the final assembly. So it is customized to them and they have more of a connection to it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of building 2 ARs for my boys.  I decided to build the complete upper minus the handguard and optic and build the lower minus the pistol grip and stock.  When it comes time I will have them pick out the finishing touches and help with the final assembly. So it is customized to them and they have more of a connection to it.
View Quote
That's a good idea too.

If they're gun nuts by then they'll probably have an opinion on rails.

If not, it's easy enough to just buy and put on myself.

The idea of two kids fighting about mlock vs keymod vs G rails would mean everyone did their job.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#21]
If I live long enough, I hope to read the sequel to this thread years down the road.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top