Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/4/2017 7:50:23 AM EDT
Completed the wife's lower the other day.
20170403_090057 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20170403_090214 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20170403_090432(0) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Would not have been my first choice, but it has a solid feel to it and weighs 1lb less than a conventional fixed stock lower.

Original thread here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/689893_It_has_been_spoken__It_will_be_done__The_planning_commences_.html
She was completely unimpressed with the 22lr so I kept it.

Instead of the 14.7" pin/weld/government profile it'll be a 16" lightweight with a Carlson "mini comp" flash hider.

So far it is:
• Blem CAV-15 MKII
• CMC 3.5lb single stage trigger
• S&W lower parts kit
• Carbine spring and buffer (will upgrade buffer to "H")

The upper will likely be:
Del-Ton PSA lightweightpencil midlength upper/Bootleg BCGColt charging handle & SP1 bolt carrier, RRA bolt
• Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight
• Bushnell TRS-25/UTG riser (tentative)
• Carlson mini comp
• Magpul midlength MOE SL handguard
Inforce WML light Sig STL-900 on Magpul RVG rail.

You may say, "Rick, that red dot/riser are a real POS," but they're old school, work, and are affordable.

*Update 5/8. Done for now.

It's pretty cool...like a modern A1. Not sure if I'll throw a red dot on it. It's pretty sweet as is.

Weight is 7lbs 14oz loaded. 6lbs 12oz empty.
20170508_083130 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20170508_083204 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

I sacrificed my AT4 sling for it. Worth it.

* Update 7/3. Test fired. Works fine with TulAmmo. Low recoil, 3:00 ejection, locks back on empty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good!  FYI, there's a storage compartment under that buttplate.

Did you get the ARFCOM discount on the blem?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
That should be an ass-kicking little carbine.  The only thing I don't like about it is that you haven't built it and shown us pics!

Just me personally, I'm a fan of fixed stocks on ARs.  I don't like having a sliding part on a critical part of the operating system.  (Yeah, I know, collapsible stocks work just fine, indulge my occasional paranoia.)  Also, I have warmed up considerably to the Cav stock.  I know it gives some people the Crawling Wallies, but I don't mind it at all.  I think it is, so far, the class of the field of the polymer lower receivers, avoiding the "traditional" problems you run into with a poly lower (can I even say traditional and talk about a poly lower? is that allowed?).

If they made one that took the A5 buffer and had a Stark-type grip, I'd be on it like nobody's business.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good!  FYI, there's a storage compartment under that buttplate.

Did you get the ARFCOM discount on the blem?
View Quote
TY.

Yeah. The butt was the first place I looked, naturally. That alloy plate is pretty nice. It's a shame there's no trap door.

No discount. Oh wells.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That should be an ass-kicking little carbine.  The only thing I don't like about it is that you haven't built it and shown us pics!

Just me personally, I'm a fan of fixed stocks on ARs.  I don't like having a sliding part on a critical part of the operating system.  (Yeah, I know, collapsible stocks work just fine, indulge my occasional paranoia.)  Also, I have warmed up considerably to the Cav stock.  I know it gives some people the Crawling Wallies, but I don't mind it at all.  I think it is, so far, the class of the field of the polymer lower receivers, avoiding the "traditional" problems you run into with a poly lower (can I even say traditional and talk about a poly lower? is that allowed?).

If they made one that took the A5 buffer and had a Stark-type grip, I'd be on it like nobody's business.
View Quote
Everyone that has seen this lower was skeptical and spoke of getting shrapnelled in the face by explodie plastics. I've researched it quite thoroughly and haven't come across anything negative aside from complaints of mold flash and the flash on the weld seam. This one was minimal in that respect.

Yes, this would be perfect for an A5 set up. There appears to be room for it if they chose to incorporate it in the future.

I will disagree on the Stark grip. That thing is an abomination. The way it comes is nice. It's a very neutral grip. It would be hard to beat.

Unfortunately this may not be completed for some time. I still have my own SBR upper to complete at this time.

This set up was the wifey's choice. She gets what she wants. It's not my cup of tea, but I can't fault her for her tastes. For a simple, lightweight rifle it's ideal.

This will be the gun, essentially, when done.

My rifle is a 10lb beast and everyone hates it.
20160916_184054(0) (1) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Not really...but for the wife and kid it's a bench gun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#6]
She might like it even more if you put an aluminum flash can up front.

I'm about to buy two more cracked old CavArms lowers for use as jigs on Flat Spot lowers.  Trinity Ordnance sells the cracked ones for $25 each, good ones for $60.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
She might like it even more if you put an aluminum flash can up front.

I'm about to buy two more cracked old CavArms lowers for use as jigs on Flat Spot lowers.  Trinity Ordnance sells the cracked ones for $25 each, good ones for $60.
View Quote
I'm trying to keep it as short as possible.

I've kind of admired the JMT lowers, but they don't make much sense in practicality or price.

They look awesome
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File
I really like mine. 

16 inch DT lw middy, Fixed A2 , Will probably swap to an A1 stock If I can trade for one. Has an SSA trigger, Holosun optic and DD 1.5 rear 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213498/IMG-0886-180895.JPGI really like mine. 

16 inch DT lw middy, Fixed A2 , Will probably swap to an A1 stock If I can trade for one. Has an SSA trigger, Holosun optic and DD 1.5 rear 
View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
That lower will give you no problems. Good luck with the build.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That lower will give you no problems. Good luck with the build.
View Quote
Thanks.

Worse comes to worst the receiver is recyclable. If she hates it I can always cut it up and throw it in the recycle bin.
20170405_142433 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#12]
So you mount a carbine buffer and carbine length spring in that lower?  

It looks good to me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213498/IMG-0886-180895.JPGI really like mine. 

View Quote
Really nice.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So you mount a carbine buffer and carbine length spring in that lower?  

It looks good to me.  
View Quote
That is correct.

There's a lot of material where the traditional AR pattern polymer lowers bust. It's a cool concept.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Ordered a PSA nitride pencil profile "freedom" upper.

For $200 without BCG it aught to work. I'll probably use an RRA bolt group and standard charging handle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Should be light.  GWACS Mfourgery is just a hair over 6 lbs.  I'd love to have a pencil bbl for mine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I put together a LW carbine many years ago using a CavAID lower, a LW barrel assy from Bushmaster and a Colt slickside upper receiver. Using a FA BC assy and a H buffer for smoothness. It weighs 6lb 1oz with a loaded 20rd mag in it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#18]
That's amazing.

My 15-22 is 6lbs 2oz.

I may be a little jelly when this is done.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#19]
My Cavarms lightweight is 5.5 WITH an Aimpoint Micro, back up sights and a light...they can be built into some nice light guns.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I hate threads like these.  I've always been interested in the CAV-15 lower and have always recognized that it addressed most of the serious flaws in the polymer lower venue.  A thread like this makes me think of a 16" Faxon pencil barrel coupled to a CAV-15 lower.  Pick a light handguard and optic...boom...a complete rifle that's a hair over 5 pounds.  Not a bad setup to have on hand.  Just one more tempting AR platform to spend money on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My Cavarms lightweight is 5.5 WITH an Aimpoint Micro, back up sights and a light...they can be built into some nice light guns.
View Quote
Cool. I think this will be a fixed sight no frills gun for a bit.

I'm tired of assembling AR-15's. My son is talking about a varmint style rig.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hate threads like these.  I've always been interested in the CAV-15 lower and have always recognized that it addressed most of the serious flaws in the polymer lower venue.  A thread like this makes me think of a 16" Faxon pencil barrel coupled to a CAV-15 lower.  Pick a light handguard and optic...boom...a complete rifle that's a hair over 5 pounds.  Not a bad setup to have on hand.  Just one more tempting AR platform to spend money on.
View Quote
Do it.

This is looking at ~$550 sans optic or light. (Already had the trigger).

That it should come in lighter than this is kinda awesome.
20160313_083034 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Have you tried co-witnessing that red dot?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you tried co-witnessing that red dot?
View Quote
It's a lower 1/3. I like it there.

For $25 it's been a pretty good buy.

Viewed through the small aperture it's a nice crisp dot. Viewed on its own it's the typical cheap red dot starburst. The tube is tiny, so I like the FOV with the high mount.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  It's a lower 1/3. I like it there.

For $25 it's been a pretty good buy.

Viewed through the small aperture it's a nice crisp dot. Viewed on its own it's the typical cheap red dot starburst. The tube is tiny, so I like the FOV with the high mount.
View Quote
Ah.  Do you have astigmatism?  Even fancy Aimpoints are a blotch to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:31:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ah.  Do you have astigmatism?  Even fancy Aimpoints are a blotch to me.
View Quote
Nah. The fancy red dots look plenty good to me.

The dominant eye is 20/20. I have amblyopia in the non dominant eye, so it's a limited field of view and dull, fuzzy image from that side. It's pretty useless in any practical sense, but the shootin' eye is good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#27]
In some miracle the PSA upper made it here in a few days vs the usual week or two. The wife intercepted it...to which I warned her not to open it or she'd ruin Christmas.

At any rate, it's a departure from anything I've got. The 22's are gov/med profiles and all the 5.56's are heavies.

I stuck a bolt assy and charging handle from another gun in it as well as the rear sight from the 15-22 and an empty magazine on it. It ended up at 6.5lbs on my scale. A little disappointing, but not bad.

I'll order the muzzle device in a few days, and will probably use a Bootleg bolt instead of the RRA.

The handguards are pretty much junk. I don't know why Colt is the only company that can produce a decent round handguard.

The upper/lower fit is snug. It doesn't get any better. Absolutely no wiggle, but no tools needed, either. There's a small gap between the vertical surfaces of the upper/lower. It's slightly more more than what is typical, but no big deal.

The balance is perfect.

A triangle handguard retainer is used which will have to be swapped to round for the SL handguards.

It'll probably be a while before I can get the bolt group or rear sight.

I may take pictures of the upper tomorrow.

I really want to finish this thing
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#28]
God, those lowers are ugly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Dsn't your light hard to activate with your support hand on the right side of the rifle like that??
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dsn't your light hard to activate with your support hand on the right side of the rifle like that??
View Quote
Maybe he's lefthanded.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
On my rifle the light has a side switch right behind the bezel. No tail cap switch.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

They look good from a distance.

People buy them because they're light, simple, inexpensive, and practical.

Even these guys like them.
What Would Stoner Do? Rethinking the AR15 in 2017 - Introduction - InRangeTV
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#33]
If anyone is looking for one JSE suplus has the Carson mini brakes on sale for $27.

Everybody else has 'em at $39.99.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/jandtcarlsonminicomp.aspx
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure who those guys are, but you're right. From a distance they do look good. That is, until I get closer and realize its a Cav Arms lower.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#35]
They tend to look better if they say Sabre Defense on 'em, and you realize you don't have more than $33 each in 'em, including the lower & the stock.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not sure who those guys are, but you're right. From a distance they do look good. That is, until I get closer and realize its a Cav Arms lower.

View Quote
What makes it look best is that it's what the wife wanted.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#37]
The upper is together. The taper pins were in stupid tight. For consistency they were Hulk smashed back in as they came out. A punch got chipped getting them out and another got dented putting them back. That's never going anywhere

It's a lot less exciting put together. Not sure why. Feels a bit toyish, I guess.

The Carlson "mini-brake" does not allow the mounting of a bayonet. With how thin the barrel is that may not be much of a loss...but I am dissapoint.

A bolt and rear sight are left to make a functional rifle.

Not sure if I should do an OD MBUS rear sight or stick with the DD A1.5. The Magpul Pro rear looks pretty slick, too. Don't want to deviate from the plan and face potential rejection, either.

I may sell a trinket or two to get this thing kicked off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Carlson "mini-brake" does not allow the mounting of a bayonet. how thin the barrel is that may not be much of a loss...but I am dissapoint.
View Quote
Put an M16A1 flash hider on it.  They only cost about $5.

M16A1s had a skinny barrel, and they used bayonets just fine... but seriously, what do you need a bayonet for?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  Put an M16A1 flash hider on it.  They only cost about $5.

M16A1s had a skinny barrel, and they used bayonets just fine... but seriously, what do you need a bayonet for?
View Quote
 For when you're out of ammo and the hun is coming over the top, of course.  They don't like it up 'em!  
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The upper is together. The taper pins were in stupid tight. For consistency they were Hulk smashed back in as they came out. A punch got chipped getting them out and another got dented putting them back. That's never going anywhere

It's a lot less exciting put together. Not sure why. Feels a bit toyish, I guess.

The Carlson "mini-brake" does not allow the mounting of a bayonet. With how thin the barrel is that may not be much of a loss...but I am dissapoint.

A bolt and rear sight are left to make a functional rifle.

Not sure if I should do an OD MBUS rear sight or stick with the DD A1.5. The Magpul Pro rear looks pretty slick, too. Don't want to deviate from the plan and face potential rejection, either.

I may sell a trinket or two to get this thing kicked off.
View Quote
A LaRue rear with the VFZ mounts is $71 before shipping, but you lose the QD ability.  Not that you're likely to care with a fixed rear, but still.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Put an M16A1 flash hider on it.  They only cost about $5.

View Quote
I like this little thing. If the lady needs a bayonet I'll get it turned down or grind it down myself. It can only be a few thousandths too big.

Why a bayonet??? Because you can.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A LaRue rear with the VFZ mounts is $71 before shipping, but you lose the QD ability.  Not that you're likely to care with a fixed rear, but still.
View Quote
Too late. The DD A1.5 is inbound.

I had looked at the Larue. It's a bit blocky, that one. It doesn't look very well integrated, though the basic design is nice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Got 'er done. Update in OP.
20170508_083130 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20170508_083204 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks nice.  And has the all important flashlight so that she can clearly identify you.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#45]
T.Y.

Yes. It also haz dat beam so she "can't miss."
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I have aquired a Colt SP1 carrier with a sheared off bolt in it. The bolt came out easier than expected.

Have a new gas key, can pin, firing pin retainer, and a takeoff Colt firing pin. Should work okay.

I just need a bolt and may have a charging handle donated to the cause.

It is so close...
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I really really dig that.  Is the stock A1 in length?  Or should I say does it end up being the same length as a lower with an A1 stock?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes.  If you need longer, the Cav Arms Mk 1 might be a little longer than an A2 stock.  Some folks have shaved down the Mk 2 for a shorter than A1 stock - it uses a carbine tube molded into the stock, so you could cut it down quite a bit.  I should probably cut one down to build an AR pistol, just to blow minds.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#49]
It is A1 length.

Some are cutting them down and gluing a fitted buttpad on 'em.

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Purchased an RRA bolt the other day to finally finish this thing off.

Test fired with a couple rounds off 55gr steel cased TulAmmo .223. Fired fine; no flash, low recoil, 3:00 ejection, locked back on empty.

It looks a little funny with the SP1 carrier showing a hint of patina in through the ejection port.

I like it. Can't ask for more. This will be it until she fires it after Christmas.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top