Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2017 10:23:43 AM EDT
I have a Drago Double Gun Case and was wondering what you guys do with your scope if you have a soft case (or do most buy a hard case if you have a scope mounted AR)? I bought a Steiner P4Xi with a ADM Recon QD mount, but now I'm thinking a hard case would protect the scope better. Do any of you guys keep your scope mounted AR in a soft tactical carry case? If so, where do y'all put the scope when not in use? A buddy of mine (he's more into hunting though) said that I should get a hard case especially since I have a scope. Just trying to get some opinions...thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Pelican 1700 series hard case for my scoped AR when traveling but generally just throw it into a soft bag for trips to the range. Most of todays scopes (especially for AR's) are pretty tough and can handle the occasional bump in a soft case. I wouldn't worry about it too much in a soft case, it should be fine, but if you want that extra protection, stick with the hard case.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a soft case for my ARs with a scopes as well my 30.06 hunting rifle with scope. (shotguns too) However, this is just to drive to and from the range and/or hunting area. No air travel or drive trips that would cause them to get knocked around. I've got a hard case if needed, but it's not been used from some time now.

BTW, just because you have your rifle in a hard case, it's not necessarily "Airline Proof" Here's a picture of my Sako Finnbear that traveled from Chicago to Dallas (direct flight) in a hard case. They beat the hell out of it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I use QD mounts and if I have to fly with a rifle I take the optic off and put in my carry on.  As far as going to the range my optics do not get put on until I get to the range.  I have a hard case I keep my optics in when I go and just throw whatever rifles I want in a soft case or a pelican 1720.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of my AR's have optics.  They all ride in soft cases without issues.  Even my trunk gun is in an Eagle soft case.  If it can't handle the minimal thumping it's getting in a case, it's got issues.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use QD mounts and if I have to fly with a rifle I take the optic off and put in my carry on.  As far as going to the range my optics do not get put on until I get to the range.  I have a hard case I keep my optics in when I go and just throw whatever rifles I want in a soft case or a pelican 1720.
View Quote
I agree with EdgecrusherXES.  Although I got a hard case and even though I have a QD mount for my Steiner T5xi, I leave it on and use the hard case when transporting locally or driving on a hunting trip.  I got a double, and I can fit multiple rifles and handguns in it... Without crushing the hell out of my quality optics.

I also have a soft case... Few actually... And will use them for transport with some of my lower end glass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both hard and soft cases.   I have no hesitation to use a soft case with a scoped rifle for routine short transportation by auto or such.   My AR's have QD mounted scopes as do many of my bolt guns (usually Talley QD rings and bases on bolt guns).   The soft cases protect the scopes adequately.  

Even with a hard case, if it is a multiple rifle case, the contents can shift and scopes or rifles could bang into each other with rough handling.  A riflescope cover over the entire scope can help.  Leupold, Vortex and other companies make them.  There are generics as well.  They are usually stretch neoprene and protect the entire scope.

I often completely remove QD scopes and carry them separately inside my range bag.  I put such scopes inside a sock or put them inside a riflescope cover of the correct size, as mentioned above.

I've not had a scope damaged using any of these methods.  I don't think a hard case solves the problem any better, except for long transport where baggage handlers are involved.  The example above with the beautiful Sako stock being broken is a good example of what can happen.  That is extreme and probably limited to airline baggage handling, but, it illustrates that no system is perfect.

One example of a riflescope cover.  Brand name or generic does not really matter as long as it fits.  Cheap.  Usually about $20 or less.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top