Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2017 4:14:05 PM EDT
What is the lightest bullet that will stabilize in a 1:7 twist barrel? I know that the 69 grain and higher weight bullets don't do well in slower twist barrels.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally 55gr will shoot just fine, beyond that you would need to test your bbl as each one will "like" different ammo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It isn't about bullet weight as much as it is bullet length. A longer bullet typically requires a more frequent barrel twist.  Notionally speaking, a "short" 69 grain bullet would be able to stabilize in a 1:9" or maybe even 1:12" twist barrel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO twist rate is the most thing with modern AR's

If your 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 twist barrels will not shoot 55-69 grain ammo well, you have a shitty barrel and twist rate has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
69 gr. Sierra's shot well in my previous 1:9 barrel. Now that all my 5.56mm AR15's are 1:7, I have tons of 50 to 55 gr. bullets that i may or may not try to reload for the newer rifles.  I can always use them for my .220 swift. I also have a ton of 62 - 75 gr. bullets that will work fine, but I wanted to use 69 gr. + bullets for High Power Rifle matches, not for general target practice varmints or plinking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've tried 50gr, 55gr, 62gr, 69gr, 75gr, and 77gr, all performed fine in my 1:7 barreled AR's

In my SR15 Mod1, LW CL CHF barrel:
American Eagle 50gr Varmint Tipped 223 ammo is 1MOA-1.25MOA at 100 yards, 10rd groups.
Geco 55gr FMJ 5.56 ammo is 1.3MOA-1.5MOA at 100 yards, 10rd groups
CBC 77gr OTM 5.56 ammo is 1MOA-1.25MOA at 100 yards, 10rd groups.

You really have to try it out before making any judgement on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Every 1:7 barrel I have shot 50g AE in has be stabilized fine. Excellent accuracy, close to MOA in most barrels.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Twist rate calculator hosted on Berger's website

Primary bullet stability factors are twist rate, bullet LENGTH not weight (although weight is generally an indicator of length which is why you've heard that), and muzzle velocity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If your 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 twist barrels will not shoot 55-69 grain ammo well, you have a shitty barrel and twist rate has nothing to do with it.
View Quote

uh? not exactly.

1:7 will stabilize 55gr just fine, but 55gr will, typically, be more accurate with 1:9. If both are good barrels.

There are clear differences in what each twist will shoot better. Some 1:9's will shoot 75gr, some wont. Some 1:7's will shoot 55gr great, some wont. But MOST of the time a 1:9 twist is better for 55gr and 1:7 better for 75gr. In between is a toss up.

To OP: in most cases 1:7 is best with 68 to 77 grain. Maybe even 80 grain. Grab a box of decent 62gr, 68gr and 77gr from your local store. Shoot a few groups each at 100 yards. Your barrel will tell you which it likes. OR at the least, you will be able to interpolate what is best for your barrel from the data.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

uh? not exactly.

1:7 will stabilize 55gr just fine, but 55gr will, typically, be more accurate with 1:9. If both are good barrels.

There are clear differences in what each twist will shoot better. Some 1:9's will shoot 75gr, some wont. Some 1:7's will shoot 55gr great, some wont. But MOST of the time a 1:9 twist is better for 55gr and 1:7 better for 75gr. In between is a toss up.

To OP: in most cases 1:7 is best with 68 to 77 grain. Maybe even 80 grain. Grab a box of decent 62gr, 68gr and 77gr from your local store. Shoot a few groups each at 100 yards. Your barrel will tell you which it likes. OR at the least, you will be able to interpolate what is best for your barrel from the data.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

uh? not exactly.

+1 to what was said here. I've have 1/9 bbls but now a few my AR's are rebarreled to 1/7. Why limit yourself when you can shoot 75/77 gr ammo, which are more accurate with my 1/7's? 69gr SMK FGMM ammo shoots MOA with my YHM 1/7 bbls, 3MOA with my 1/9s. Regular Federal 55gr ammo will give you 3 maybe 4 moa depending on shooter/setup on. 1/8 bbls are a great comprise but I'm gtg with my 1/7's.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1/8 bbls are a great comprise
View Quote
Why does Krieger only sell AR15 barrels with a compromise twist rate?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#11]
To shoot 80 and 90 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

uh? not exactly.

View Quote
Why exactly would a 1-9 twist barrel shoot 55 grain ammo more accurately than a 1-7? A fully stabilized bullet is a fully stabilized bullet, there is no 'over-stabilizing'. There is spinning a projectile so fast it comes apart or the jacket starts to separate, but 1-7 is not even close to causing that with 55 grain or 5p grain ammo.

OP- the majority of my reloads are 50 grain v-max. I buy them in bulk and have loaded thousands of them. The dozen or so 1-7 barrels I own and have shot with over the last few years have been perfect with the 50 grainers. Trust me, your 1-7 twist will shoot them exactly the same as an equal quality 1-9.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why exactly would a 1-9 twist barrel shoot 55 grain ammo more accurately than a 1-7?
Trust me, your 1-7 twist will shoot them exactly the same as an equal quality 1-9.
View Quote
Dependant on bullet design and construction, different bullets like different twist rates.

Your AE XM193 may shoot better in a 1:9" twist barrel while my 55 grain Hornady VMAX may like something different.

Even within the same ammo, 62 grain M855A1 was shown to have half the group size in 1-9" twist barrels that it did in 1-7" barrels.

AMU appears to be using 1:8" twist barrels while they are shooting M855A1, FWIW...
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#14]
My 1:7's shoot 52gr HPBT match very accurately

the tightest 100 yard group I've ever shot was with 55gr VMAX LC brass, surplus WC846 / BLC-2 powder.

did it with a 1:7 twist barrel.

1:7 is superior to 1:9

do not expect dime sized groups with either twist when you shoot shitty FMJ's and a k-mart leapers scope
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dependant on bullet design and construction, different bullets like different twist rates.

Your AE XM193 may shoot better in a 1:9" twist barrel while my 55 grain Hornady VMAX may like something different.

Even within the same ammo, 62 grain M855A1 was shown to have half the group size in 1-9" twist barrels that it did in 1-7" barrels.

AMU appears to be using 1:8" twist barrels while they are shooting M855A1, FWIW...
View Quote
1) Tight rifling twists rates only exacerbates the bullet's inherent inaccuracy (caused by the bullet's CG not being exactly on top of the geometric axis).  Match quality bullets won't see any change, marginal bullets get slightly worst.

2) M855A1 is crappy to begin with, accuracy-wise.  

3) The AMU used match grade rifles that happened to have 1-8 twist barrels versus rack-grade M16A2 with 1-7 twist barrels.  To say that the twist was the sole cause of the reduced group size is incorrect, and highly misleading.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is the lightest bullet that will stabilize in a 1:7 twist barrel? I know that the 69 grain and higher weight bullets don't do well in slower twist barrels.
View Quote
.1 gr is the lightest.
1:7 is a fast twist, it will stabilize 90gr down to the lightest bullet made.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why exactly would a 1-9 twist barrel shoot 55 grain ammo more accurately than a 1-7? A fully stabilized bullet is a fully stabilized bullet, there is no 'over-stabilizing'. There is spinning a projectile so fast it comes apart or the jacket starts to separate, but 1-7 is not even close to causing that with 55 grain or 5p grain ammo.
View Quote
For the same reason an out of balance tire will shake worse at 55mph than it does at 5mph.

All bullets have imbalance, the faster you spin them the greater the dispersion from that imbalance.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1) Tight rifling twists rates only exacerbates the bullet's inherent inaccuracy (caused by the bullet's CG not being exactly on top of the geometric axis).  Match quality bullets won't see any change, marginal bullets get slightly worst.

3) The AMU used match grade rifles that happened to have 1-8 twist barrels versus rack-grade M16A2 with 1-7 twist barrels.  To say that the twist was the sole cause of the reduced group size is incorrect, and highly misleading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not really sure where we are in disagreement. My first point was that "dependent on bullet design and construction, different bullets like different twist rates"

Re: AMU using 1:8" as opposed to 1:7" or something else- that also supports my point that different bullets like different barrel characteristics. I apologize if that fact could be interpreted as misleading; I was only using it to show that one cannot say that bullet length (or weight) are the only determining factors in what barrel twist to select for bullets with similar lengths (or weights).
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everything in life is a compromise.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Also on a side note... the USGI spec 1n7 was made to stabilize those long 64gr Tracer rounds....
View Quote
There it is.

I wondered how long this thread would go before someone introduced this fact.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indeed.  Or Lilja or other custom match grade barrel makers?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Any given bullet requires a minimum RPM to be stable for the conditions.
Velocity and twist rate determine bullet RPM.
Match bullets can be very uniform in makeup, but this is not the case for all bullets.
The spinning of the bullet magnifies any imperfections.
Obviously the faster the bullet is spun the more the imperfections affect group size.
Some varmint type bullets have been reported to come apart midair.
They were plenty stable, but could not withstand the centrifugal forces present with fast twists and high velocities.
Aside from bench rest shooters this has been demonstrated with M855 ammo between 1:9” and 1:7” barrels.
Usually with half decent ammo the difference is not enough to be significant for practical purposes in ARs.
Bullet manufacturers publish recommended twist rates for their bullets.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#25]
35 grns will stabilize just fine.  If pushed fast enough, they will disintegrate before they reach the target.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
35 grns will stabilize just fine.  If pushed fast enough, they will disintegrate before they reach the target.
View Quote
Haven't tried 35 grain bullets in 1:7.  They do stabilize fine in 1:8.

But, you are onto the secondary factor and that is jacket thickness and rpm.  I shoot a 6mm Remington with 55 grain bullets at 4,100 fps.  Some very thin jacketed varmint bullets do literally blow up from too much rpm before reaching a 100 yard target.  This is a real issue.  I don't know at which point, velocity wise, that the little Hornady 35 grain Superformance varmint bullets might shed their jacket.  Being "stable" is meaningless if the bullet self-destructs before reaching the target.

At the other extreme are super long for weight monolithic bullets, like Barnes TSX and TTSX hunting and tactical bullets.  Because they are solid copper and not jacket lead core bullets, they have different twist requirements.  A 70 grain jacketed lead core bullet will do just fine in a 1:9 twist.  The same 70 grain weight Barnes TSX or TTSX is much longer.  Attempting to shoot 70 grain TSX bullets from a 1:9 results in bad keyholing and groups so bad that some are completely off of the target.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't get hung up on the twist.  1/9 is probably not the wisest one to get, but if you found yourself with one, that's OK too.  I think the most limiting twist would be 1/12.  Which barely anybody sells any more anyways.   I've never seen an AR with a 1/10.  And 1/8 is probably closer to the most optimum.  

If you have a 1/9, see if the heavier stuff will work.  Sometimes they stabilize 75/77s.  Sometimes they don't.  It would be a rare example if a 1/9 wouldn't stabilize a 69 grain bullet.  I suppose it's possible but not likely.  

You could do far worse than a 1/9.  But 1/8 and 1/7 are the better choices with no downside.   Other than if you want to shoot the super duper light weight varmint bullets.  like 35 - 40 grain.  I've shot 45 grain UMC through my 1/7 20" gun with them shooting just fine.   But those were hollow points and not varmint tipped.

But as I understand it, the only reason 1/7 exists is to stabilize the super long tracer bullets in extremely cold environments.  Arctic conditions.  Which, you may find yourself doing.  If you live in Wisconsin or Canada  or something like that.  I can't shoot tracers at my range.  Booooooooooooo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Twist rate doesn't go both ways. There is no such thing as an over-stabilized bullet. With very thin jackets, and very light bullets, you supposedly can spin the jacket off a bullet with a fast twist barrel. This might be apocryphal. It seems whenever it comes up, it's second-hand or worse information. I've never run into problems with 50 grain V-Max out of a 1-7 twist barrel.

There are folks that hunt extreme accuracy that want the slowest twist they can get that will still stabilize the bullet. I'm skeptical about whether that matters. Like damn near everything else with shooting, you're not going to find any rigorous scientific testing of it.

I think 1-8 is the best twist rate for an AR.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am not really sure where we are in disagreement. My first point was that "dependent on bullet design and construction, different bullets like different twist rates"

Re: AMU using 1:8" as opposed to 1:7" or something else- that also supports my point that different bullets like different barrel characteristics. I apologize if that fact could be interpreted as misleading; I was only using it to show that one cannot say that bullet length (or weight) are the only determining factors in what barrel twist to select for bullets with similar lengths (or weights).
View Quote
Just elaborating . . .
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Twist rate doesn't go both ways. There is no such thing as an over-stabilized bullet. With very thin jackets, and very light bullets, you supposedly can spin the jacket off a bullet with a fast twist barrel. This might be apocryphal. It seems whenever it comes up, it's second-hand or worse information. I've never run into problems with 50 grain V-Max out of a 1-7 twist barrel.

There are folks that hunt extreme accuracy that want the slowest twist they can get that will still stabilize the bullet. I'm skeptical about whether that matters. Like damn near everything else with shooting, you're not going to find any rigorous scientific testing of it.

I think 1-8 is the best twist rate for an AR.
View Quote
One time I saw a guy post this happening.  I don't remember who or when or what exact bullet it was.  So there you go.  Cousin's sister's brother who knew a guy in orlando that saw a guy leaving a train station and overheard them talking about this about some guy they met that saw it happen.    

I could see the possibility of it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#31]
As I already posted I HAVE had this happen with one brand of 6mm 55 grain varmint bullet when pushed to 4,100 fps.  The high rpm strips the thin jacket from the lead core. They either explode or what remains fly wide of the target.  This is a real phenomenon with some very light jacketed bullets when pushed too fast.

That said, I've not see this yet with .223/5.56. Not yet. I do worry that the 35 grain Hornady NTX bullet in its Superformance varmint load might be vulnerable in a 1:7 twist, especially in a long enough barrel to maximize velocity.  I did not have a problem shooting them in 1:8.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As I already posted I HAVE had this happen with one brand of 6mm 55 grain varmint bullet when pushed to 4,100 fps.  The high rpm strips the thin jacket from the lead core. They either explode or what remains fly wide of the target.  This is a real phenomenon with some very light jacketed bullets when pushed too fast.

That said, I've not see this yet with .223/5.56. Not yet. I do worry that the 35 grain Hornady NTX bullet in its Superformance varmint load might be vulnerable in a 1:7 twist, especially in a long enough barrel to maximize velocity.  I did not have a problem shooting them in 1:8.
View Quote
36 grain Varmint Grenades out of a 1:5" twist, 18" barrel

Green Mountain Experimental 18" 1/5 twist barrel test, 36gr Varmint Grenades
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#34]
50,55,62,6 will all shoot strait out of 1/7. 68 you should try yourself avoid 72,77
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Personally... I think a better way to describe "over-stabilizing" would be exceeding the design limits of the bullets jacket.

Very thin "explosive, varmint style" jacketed bullets could do this when the 1n7 twist first was marketed... the thin jacketed bullets were primarily designed to be used in the more common 1n12 twists in the popular bolt action rifles that were available..

After a few years the bullet manufacturers caught up... and designed the bullets to withstand the increased twist rate.

Remember when Hornady's AMP jacketed bullets came out a few years ago and had issues ?

Even a small nick in the bore could cause issues.

Here is an example of a "nicked" bullets spewing its core... ( I don't recall the details... the image is only labled Sig MPX )

https://scontent.fsnc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17629682_1470673029620126_4292071762513303462_n.jpg?oh=e84bae0e53501852fa1e5c2819ad1b92&oe=59630343

While not a great example....( apples to oranges )  I even had .22LR bullets go "poof" out of my brand new 20" 1n7 while using the Colt 22LR conversion unit... they would fire fine, and my buddy said he could see them disintegrate into a cloud of dust about 25ft from the muzzle.
View Quote
Hey, it's art.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Will an 80 or 90 grain cartridge even fit in an AR 15 magazine?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a 1-7, a few 1-8 (my preferred twist), and a pair of 1-9, and I regularly shoot everything from 40gr varmint to 80gr amax. Never had an issue with stabilization. I read all about the internet warriors saying 40gr will not work, they just separate jackets from cores with 1-7, bullspit. They work perfectly fine on ground hogs and whistle pigs. And I've read you can't shoot anything over 60gr out of a 1-9, another load of crap as my 77gr pet load shoots sub 1" even in 1-9 barrels. I load most of my rounds for specific rifles, but on occasion I do shoot ammo loaded for a specific gun out of a different one, and one thing I've found out: a good round shoots good out of any twist rate barrel.
It's like this, almost all kids like pizza, right? No matter the toppings or sauces, a pizza is pizza. If you find a kid that doesn't like pizza, it's pretty odd. I'm not saying "everyone" does but 99/100 do.
Barrels are just like that. A good load will shoot good in a 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, hell probably even 1-11, just don't have one to verify. Twist rate is far less important that good shooting mechanics, repeatable positioning and breathing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a 1-7, a few 1-8 (my preferred twist), and a pair of 1-9, and I regularly shoot everything from 40gr varmint to 80gr amax. Never had an issue with stabilization. I read all about the internet warriors saying 40gr will not work, they just separate jackets from cores with 1-7, bullspit. They work perfectly fine on ground hogs and whistle pigs. And I've read you can't shoot anything over 60gr out of a 1-9, another load of crap as my 77gr pet load shoots sub 1" even in 1-9 barrels. I load most of my rounds for specific rifles, but on occasion I do shoot ammo loaded for a specific gun out of a different one, and one thing I've found out: a good round shoots good out of any twist rate barrel.
It's like this, almost all kids like pizza, right? No matter the toppings or sauces, a pizza is pizza. If you find a kid that doesn't like pizza, it's pretty odd. I'm not saying "everyone" does but 99/100 do.
Barrels are just like that. A good load will shoot good in a 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, hell probably even 1-11, just don't have one to verify. Twist rate is far less important that good shooting mechanics, repeatable positioning and breathing.
View Quote
Believe me when I say that you CANNOT shoot a 70 grain Barnes TSX bullet out of 1:9 with acceptable accuracy.  They will keyhole badly.  I know. Personally.  That is a max load.  You can't push it fast enough at safe 5.56 pressures to stabilize it.   That bullet is longer than a 77 SMK.    Remember that it is length, not weight, combined with velocity (combining to produce rpm) that are the primary determinants of stabilization and twist requirements.

I can go a long way toward agreeing that you can't overstabilize light bullets with too tight a twist (if the jackets are not too thin and velocity too high), but you absolutely cannot stabilize really long bullets like a Barnes 70 TSX in 1:9.  Hard laws of physics cannot be ignored.   At some point slow twist cannot spin the bullet enough to stabilize it.

Below are several representative .224 diameter bullets from my own loading bench.  This photo illustrates how Barnes bullets of the same weight are significantly longer than their lead core counterparts.  On the far right is the Barnes 70 TSX.  To its immediate left is a 77 grain SMK.  Note how much longer the lighter Barnes bullet is because of its all copper construction.  On the far left is the common Hornady 55 FMJHP.  Proceeding to the right is the Barnes 53 TXS;  55 TTSX, 62 TTSX, the 77 SMK and the Barnes 70 TSX.  Everything up to and including the 62 TTSX stabilize nicely in 1:9.  The 62 TSX is on the borderline.  Its untipped version, the 62 TXS (not pictured as I am out) shoots MOA.  

The 77 SMK and the 70 Barnes TSX will not stabilize in 1:9.  They shoot lights out, however with 1:8.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Never shot the 70g Barnes tsx, too rich for my tastes. But now that I know they are so damn long, another reason to stay away lol.

In my 700 custom with bartlein 1-9tw I shoot 69-77s on the regular and have never had any issue. No keyholes, no weird grouping, nothing irregular. It shoots 70-73 vld's and 75 amax's great. Never shot them through my 1-9 ar though. But a 1-9 is a 1-9 no matter if it's a gas or bolt gun.

I personally just find a load that shoots lights out and stick with it for that rig. I'm not really into spending a lot of time going thru different combos of bullets and powders.

What kind of signs are you seeing to make you not wanna shoot the heavier pills?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#41]
A 1:9 is not a 1:9 alone for stabilization purposes, as the other factor is  velocity.  Shooting a longer barreled bolt gun, 22" -24" or more, changes everything.  Getting velocity up two hundred fps or more compared to a 16" AR greatly impacts stability, because it increases rpm.

Berger's twist calculator demonstrates this vividly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#42]
20" bartlein stainless, same length as a std m16. Although it is a 5r twist.
60-70fps chrono'd over my 18" mk12, same load.
Guess it's just dumb luck I can shoot pills over 60g out of a 1-9t
There's always going to be two sides to a scientific problem: theory and real world application.
Not trying to stir anything up, but have you tried anything other than tsx bullets in that weight?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
20" bartlein stainless, same length as a std m16. Although it is a 5r twist.
60-70fps chrono'd over my 18" mk12, same load.
Guess it's just dumb luck I can shoot pills over 60g out of a 1-9t
There's always going to be two sides to a scientific problem: theory and real world application.
Not trying to stir anything up, but have you tried anything other than tsx bullets in that weight?
View Quote
I think I am not being clear.  I can shoot the long for weight 62 Barnes from 1:9.  Its like a 70 grain jacketed lead core bullet in length.  Yes, I'm shooting 69 grain SMK bullets in 1:9 with good groups. But it will not shoot the 77 SMK's or the long copper 70 TSX.

The extra four inches in barrel length of a 20" may let you get enough rpm to shoot 77 SMKs.  I can't from a 16".
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  50,55,62,6 will all shoot strait out of 1/7. 68 you should try yourself avoid 72,77
View Quote
Que?  Did you mean 1:9"?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's to fit a wide variety of popular over-the-course bullet lengths.  from as short as (typically) 69gr all the way up to 90gr VLD rounds.
their target market is High Power and Service Rifle competitors
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Will an 80 or 90 grain cartridge even fit in an AR 15 magazine?
View Quote
you'll have to load 90gr rounds using a magazine "sled" follower
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top