Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 8:14:09 AM EDT
Hey there,

I am adding a few things to my wife's AR to make it easier for her (and encourage her to shoot more). She is left-handed so there is only so much I can do. I got her an ambi-safety she likes and am now looking into ambi mag-releases. Just wondering if anyone here had any feedback on these or any other they would recommend:

http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/Ambi-Catch-and-EMR-bundle_p_33.html

https://www.arsenaldemocracy.us/product/amr/

https://www.highvelocityarms.com/collections/magazine-release/products/amr-black
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Learn to reload the way our left handed soldiers do. I have an SR15 with full ambi controls and I still almost never use the mag release on the left side of the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
No issues here with the CMMG or Palmetto State branded ambi selectors.

I'm an idiot and can't read. Magazine release is what you seek!

Norgon seems to be the first name in these, but maybe try this Arms Unlimited one and see what you think? Norgon's are pricey.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I say Norgon (they make the one in your first link)
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]
It's expensive but copper custom sells just lwrci ic lowers and they have the best ambi controls I have ever used.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the Battle Steel (Norgon knockoff)from Botach, installed on a Stag lower, no problems with fit or finish, ordered online, no problems with payment or shipping from Botach.
Be prepared for a flood of sales Emails if you buy from them, 3-4 a day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Have used Norgon for years on all my lowers, zero complaints.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Just an FYI, I have this ambi release on my rifle https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-ar15-m4-ambi-mag-release/ and had a negligent discharge during a practice match. My finger slipped off the ambi release and straight onto the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#10]
knights armament has one now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just an FYI, I have this ambi release on my rifle https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-ar15-m4-ambi-mag-release/ and had a negligent discharge during a practice match. My finger slipped off the ambi release and straight onto the trigger.
View Quote
That's not a problem with the mag release.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the internet still hates Troy, but I like their ambi mag release more than the Norgon, it is much easier for my finger to find.

LINK
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used Norgon for years.  It's very expensive for what it is.  I'm pretty sure the patent has expired by now.  The knockoff at Botach might be worth checking out.
I'll call a certain amount of BS on the negligent discharge while using the Norgon catch.  The Norgon release button isn't significantly closer to the trigger than the standard button.  If you managed to ND with the Norgon, you would have ND'ed with the standard button too.  Not the Norgon's fault.
The Troy may be OK, but people have complained of it gouging into the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Learn to reload the way our left handed soldiers do. I have an SR15 with full ambi controls and I still almost never use the mag release on the left side of the rifle.
View Quote
I grew up on the A2, so I get where you're coming from.  However, the Norgon has been approved by the USMC (maybe the Army too, but I just know about the Marines) and there's no reason to be slow and awkward except for nostalgia.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I am going to check out the Battle Steel, it does look exactly the same.

As for doing it the Army way, my wife is prior service as am I. However, we are no longer in the Army (Have not been for a loooong time). So if this makes it easier for her, which means she wants to come shoot more, then I will happily buy and install this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Norgon and the knock off. I picked the knock off up on ebay $25 shipped

The Norgon has a stronger/stiffer spring compared to the knock off.

As for the safety I use the Colt safety which you can just flip around to the other side of the lower instead of having levers on both sides
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Stab mag release with right thumb while using the rest of right hand to pull mag out of rifle.

That's what I do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I use Norgon
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I run Knights Armament on my rifles. I also run their ambidextrous selector switches. No complaints whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you take a shit and are wiping your ass, your finger slips off the toilet paper and touches your dirt star, is that the toilet papers fault?

It's your fault.

I run the norgon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 4 Norgons. The spring is a tad stiff so if the Botach version's spring is softer, you might try that one for your lady. As for accidentally hitting the trigger while attempting to actuate the Norgon, I've never done that but have hit the bolt release a time or two. That's mildly annoying, but total operator error.

Quoted:

If you take a shit and are wiping your ass, your finger slips off the toilet paper and touches your dirt star, is that the toilet papers fault?
View Quote
Thanks, I had been looking for a new sig line.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been a Norgon user for many years, but, I recently was given a Sig Sauer Ambi mag release to T&E.

I actually like it better than the Norgon. The only problem is that the Sig Ambi release is non-existent outside
of the ones installed on Sig lowers.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Forward Controls has a new one coming out soon.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I never blamed the ambi mag release just giving the OP some information, thanks for busting my balls for trying to help others out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I never blamed the ambi mag release just giving the OP some information, thanks for busting my balls for trying to help others out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OK.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Battle Arms is made by BOTACH.

BOTACH rips off other people's ideas.

Their ambi mag release is a direct copy of the Norgon. The reason the Norgon costs so much is because the gentleman who owns the patent is constantly having to defend it against assholes like BOTACH.

I will gladly give my money to Norgon before I send one cent to the pricks at BOTACH.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a couple of the KAC ambi releases, and they're good for leverage.  They will leave a mark on your lower if you remove it.  

My wife's carbine is about to get one of the Arms Unlimited models which will be good since it's much less expensive than the Norgon my Noveske SBR wears.  I bought one on the recommendation of @Blackfoot_7.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#29]
+1 for the Troy
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Battle Arms is made by BOTACH.

BOTACH rips off other people's ideas.

Their ambi mag release is a direct copy of the Norgon. The reason the Norgon costs so much is because the gentleman who owns the patent is constantly having to defend it against assholes like BOTACH.

I will gladly give my money to Norgon before I send one cent to the pricks at BOTACH.
View Quote
I agree with not buying the Botach copy, however, Norgon was the only brand of ambi mag release that I could find on the Battle Arms website.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I agree with not buying the Botach copy, however, Norgon was the only brand of ambi mag release that I could find on the Battle Arms website.
View Quote
He meant Battle Steel.  Battle Arms is definitely not ripping off anyone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#32]
i have several of the (pricey) genuine Norgons, and several of the much cheaper knock-offs.  having them side by side, you can see the difference in the quality.  on the Norgon, all the exposed edges have a subtle radius on them, nice to the feel.

the knock-offs, although perfectly functional, have some sharp edges that are on the outside, not inside, when installed.  also, the grooving on the finger pad, on the Norgon, is sharper. crisper.  on the knock-offs, the grooving is not as crisp, and you can see some casting flash residual lines.

just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks, I had been looking for a new sig line.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:As for the safety I use the Colt safety which you can just flip around to the other side of the lower instead of having levers on both sides
View Quote
I will say I am considering this. The ambi safeties I got are nice, and she loves it that it is now on left side, but damn does it feel weird to me. I am used to nothing being on right hand side and this safety is not flat (F1 ambi safety).
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I will say I am considering this. The ambi safeties I got are nice, and she loves it that it is now on left side, but damn does it feel weird to me. I am used to nothing being on right hand side and this safety is not flat (F1 ambi safety).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:As for the safety I use the Colt safety which you can just flip around to the other side of the lower instead of having levers on both sides
Now you know how us leftys feel with a standard safety rubbing on your hand.

Look for a safety that has the detent cut out on both sides. Colt, Stag and Olympic make them. Brownells sell the Colt or just browse the EE
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Stab mag release with right thumb while using the rest of right hand to pull mag out of rifle.

That's what I do.
View Quote
This. It's a non-issue.

ETA: I'm a left hand shooter, who owns right-hand (standard) ARs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#37]
As a lefty, I prefer the Troy because it seperates the mag release from the bolt catch better than any other out there that I have seen yet.

I'm not taking away anything from the quality of any of the others, but that one feature makes it the best IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This. It's a non-issue.

ETA: I'm a left hand shooter, who owns right-hand (standard) ARs.
View Quote
agree. Most ambi controls to me seem gimmicky. I've used three methods

- using a standard rifle with left hand, move support hand to mag well, strip mag using R thumb on release (what I used in mil)
- standard rifle with right hand, way every right handed shooter does it
- using ambi mag release on my SR15 when shooting left handed

I can reload in the exact same amount of time all 3 ways. Don't feel any slow me down. and I am actually a right handed person who typically shoots left handed. The best reason IMO for a lefty to learn to operate a standard rifle is your training on "ambi" controls will make you reliant on that exact setup for muscle memory. If you have to go to another rifle, a teamate's rifle for some reason you are now kind of screwed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#39]
i agree they seem gimmicky, but operating the safety, and dropping the mag using ambi controls, are very nice and make it safe for others around you.  i have not bought into the bad lever, or left side eject uppers. i have no issues with shit in my face from ejecting, as well as dropping the bolt. my finger is long enough to hit the standard button.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#40]
As a lefty, I bought the Norgon. I never use it. I do also have the Odin XMR 2 installed. I utilise the swipe the release with my thumb as I strip the mag with my right hand. I don't do fast reloads, I guess if I did I may use the norgon more.

Just my 2c
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Now you know how us leftys feel with a standard safety rubbing on your hand.

Look for a safety that has the detent cut out on both sides. Colt, Stag and Olympic make them. Brownells sell the Colt or just browse the EE
View Quote
Also a leftie.  I tried short/thin levers on the left side of an ambi selector, but was still bugged by contact of the left side lever with the top of my hand near the first knuckle.

Going to a 45-degree selector eliminated the (albeit minor) annoyance.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I only use Troy ambi mag releases. way better than the norgan lest in my opinion and it costs less
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I only use Troy ambi mag releases. way better than the norgan lest in my opinion and it costs less
View Quote
This.  Also be aware that the Troy will leave a mark on your lower and the Norgon/BOTACH won't, but you won't see the mark unless you remove it.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top