Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2017 5:21:09 PM EDT
I know a lot of manufactures have the option of being able to close the bolt with your shooting hand, but so far I've only found two that allow you to lock
it open. I really like the ability to pull the charging handle back with my support hand, and lock the bolt back with the index finger on my other hand. I want to
start a new build with a lower that dose just that. The two that I have found are the LWRC, and Areo Precision. Any others that you know of? Thanks

LWRC

Areo
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Axts ax556. Extremely hard to find, extremely expensive.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Super cool if you like billet. . Hold is located in the trigger guard.
POF GEN4
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
POF does pretty sure, Renegade Plus guns. EDIT: As poster above me said ^

I want to say LMT does... but not sure. Can check when I get home.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I want to say LMT does... but not sure. Can check when I get home.
View Quote
LMT does, but only the MARS Lowers/Rifles. They are pretty hard to find though. They have been out of stock for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#5]
American defense has probably the best layout. And they just ran them for like 225.00 the other day.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
LMT MARS
American Defense (Duty series and full price)
LWRC
The S&W M&P10 is also a fully ambidextrous lower but it's in 308.

I run my MRP Rifle Length upper on the ADM UIC Duty lower with a Geissele G2S and Raptor CH.

Falkor also has some.  My wife and I got to see their place in Kalispell a couple years ago.  Really cool rifles they are building.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't that the PDQ Ambi Bolt Release on the Areo lower?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes the Aero does use the PDQ.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:18:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Cross dominate shooter reporting in.

I found a DPMS bolt catch that has a LARGE offset paddle replacing the stock boltcatch's small button. I can access it when shooting off my left shoulder with my trigger finger.

So I pull the Raptor ambi charging handle, push the lower boltcatch paddle to lock the bolt back then clear a jam, double feed or leave the chamber clear.

YMMV but it works for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Mega Billet Ambi - ~$225

Compared to other options this seems like the best value. I'm not a fan of the Aero setup.

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Then of course there is the KAC ambi. Probably the best, and you pay for it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
It always amazes me how many people equate "ambi" or "right side" bolt release to right side bolt catch engagement.

There aren't many options.  Whatever you do, avoid that Aero/PDQ thing.  It's bad enough that it kinda sucks, but it sucks even more when you cut a receiver to use it or buy one with the cut already.  When you figure it out later, removing it leaves that cutout open.  

If you do want to add this feature to a lower, the Redi-Catch actually seems to work well, requires no special modifications, and is priced somewhat reasonably (and no, I don't care how it looks).  The concept is sound.  It's similar to the A-DAC mechanism that AXTS created, but it's done externally.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It always amazes me how many people equate "ambi" or "right side" bolt release to right side bolt catch engagement.

There aren't many options.  Whatever you do, avoid that Aero/PDQ thing.  It's bad enough that it kinda sucks, but it sucks even more when you cut a receiver to use it or buy one with the cut already.  When you figure it out later, removing it leaves that cutout open.  

If you do want to add this feature to a lower, the Redi-Catch actually seems to work well, requires no special modifications, and is priced somewhat reasonably (and no, I don't care how it looks).  The concept is sound.  It's similar to the A-DAC mechanism that AXTS created, but it's done externally.
View Quote
The PDQ style hardly sucks when done right.

If installed properly it works just like the Rem Defense guns.

A proper right bolt catch/release moves in the vertical plane to avoid confusion with the mag release button.

2 buttons in close proximity is not the best idea.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.boltcarrier.com/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_974_460x460.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Mega Billet Ambi - ~$225

Compared to other options this seems like the best value. I'm not a fan of the Aero setup.

https://www.rainierarms.com/media/product/cb8/mega-billet-lower-gtr-3s-ambi-m0514-ha-by-mega-arms-94e.jpg
Neither of those have ambi bolt hold open, which is what the OP is asking for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I run the Aero with the PDQ lever. It's not the best, but is functional. My issue with it is that when the bolt is held open any bump on the dust cover can drop the bolt. I've been chewed out (and rightfully so) by an RO because I bumped my dust cover walking up to a stage and dropped the bolt prematurely.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I run the Aero with the PDQ lever. It's not the best, but is functional. My issue with it is that when the bolt is held open any bump on the dust cover can drop the bolt. I've been chewed out (and rightfully so) by an RO because I bumped my dust cover walking up to a stage and dropped the bolt prematurely.
View Quote
That's one of the reason it sucks.  It also can cause a failure hold the bolt open after the last round is fired out of a mag..another reason.  You could take the dust cover off, but even then it has some other potential issues.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#17]
As mentioned above the AXTS AX556 has this feature built into the mag release.  They use a cross pin so then pressing the magazine release actuates the bolt catch as well.  In the event of a malfunction you press the mag release and yank the magazine out as the first step, you'd keep holding the mag release and then rack the charging handle which would catch the bolt.  The AXTS branded lowers were released in limited quantities before they stopped public sales to put all of their lowers toward complete rifles.  They have changed their name in the past six months and are now known as Radian Weapons.  They have stated you can expect stripped lowers to go back on sale within the next couple months and if I remember correctly they may have even lowered the price a small bit (don't hold me to that).  It was one of the first if not the first fully ambidextrous lowers (right around when the LWRC IC came out).  The quality is impeccable and their bolt hold feature is ingenious, but they most definitely qualify as a "boutique" lower.  If you've got some money to blow and want a cool lower, I'd highly recommend them--I have yet to see another one in the wild and constantly get questions and compliments about mine.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:14:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As mentioned above the AXTS AX556 has this feature built into the mag release.  They use a cross pin so then pressing the magazine release actuates the bolt catch as well.  In the event of a malfunction you press the mag release and yank the magazine out as the first step, you'd keep holding the mag release and then rack the charging handle which would catch the bolt.  The AXTS branded lowers were released in limited quantities before they stopped public sales to put all of their lowers toward complete rifles.  They have changed their name in the past six months and are now known as Radian Weapons.  They have stated you can expect stripped lowers to go back on sale within the next couple months and if I remember correctly they may have even lowered the price a small bit (don't hold me to that).  It was one of the first if not the first fully ambidextrous lowers (right around when the LWRC IC came out).  The quality is impeccable and their bolt hold feature is ingenious, but they most definitely qualify as a "boutique" lower.  If you've got some money to blow and want a cool lower, I'd highly recommend them--I have yet to see another one in the wild and constantly get questions and compliments about mine.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/btm7687/Weapons%20of%20Minor%20Destruction/The%20Safe/AR-15/AXTS%20MI-T556S/32b55ae6-2679-4074-a6da-a037e2b4d5b7_zpsdfmnugz0.png

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/btm7687/Weapons%20of%20Minor%20Destruction/The%20Safe/AR-15/AXTS%20MI-T556S/42e9e247-536b-426a-a078-fc6b10d2a976_zps3pjqadwy.png
View Quote
That gun is to pretty not to be properly SBR'ed .
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#19]
There's always the Schuster extended bolt catch:

Attachment Attached File

Unfortunately this beauty has been discontinued
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's a review of the ADM lower.
It does look strikingly similar to the AXTS posted above, but they claim it's all proprietary.

It has the features you seek.
On Target: American Defense Manufacturing UIC Rifles
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
KAC is a nice lower but not fully ambi with a ambi bolt catch.   I have both a KAC SR 15e3 and a American Defense and the American Defense is fully ambi with bolt catch and release on the right side.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Took me 5 years, but it finally has a stamp pending

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/btm7687/Weapons%20of%20Minor%20Destruction/The%20Safe/AR-15/AXTS%20MI-T556S/32b55ae6-2679-4074-a6da-a037e2b4d5b7_zpsdfmnugz0.png

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/btm7687/Weapons%20of%20Minor%20Destruction/The%20Safe/AR-15/AXTS%20MI-T556S/42e9e247-536b-426a-a078-fc6b10d2a976_zps3pjqadwy.png
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Umbrella Corp Weapons Research Group 3D logo billet lowers have the AXTS A-DAC bolt hold open function per the mag catch button, which engages a steel pin held in a connecting hole underneath the boltcatch.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
This one looks like a great choice. It combines two type III clearance steps into one. Locking the bolt back, and releasing the magazine. After looking at your rifle, I'm tempted to just buy a complete one from them.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#25]
The axts/radian is definitely where it's at. By far the finest lower I've ever seen.  Machined and finished to perfection, flawless performance.

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This one looks like a great choice. It combines two type III clearance steps into one. Locking the bolt back, and releasing the magazine. After looking at your rifle, I'm tempted to just buy a complete one from them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd highly recommend their complete rifles--even in that 10.5" configuration it shoots better groups than my 14.5" BCM.  The fit and finish and feel is unmatched compared to anything I've held before.  I don't think I could find one bad thing to say other than it is a bit expensive.  As a side note if you just want a stripped lower they mentioned today on a live stream that they were hoping their stripped lowers would be available again in 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Ever consider a BAD lever??? (or the equivalent) Seems it'd do what you want for far less...
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here's a review of the ADM lower.
It does look strikingly similar to the AXTS posted above, but they claim it's all proprietary.

It has the features you seek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgf9IBO85M
View Quote
Actually adm has redesigned the uic lower so there will not be confusion, Even though it is made to look like a magpul mag.
They still ocasionally make and sell the first design too but mostly make the gen2. They redesigned there rail too, but make the gen1 as well from time to time because some prefer the original design.
I think the radian is better, but the adm is much more affordable and is machined just as well.. As in perfect.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16114313_10202573563135757_7605059664780746350_n.jpg?oh=0c74245a5b23e27ca7076f90a4fb286b&oe=59555F69

Ever consider a BAD lever??? (or the equivalent) Seems it'd do what you want for far less...
View Quote
Came here to ask this. They work rather well for $25.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
and why would you remove it??

the cheapest ^^^ and works perfectly, no door issues like the others
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's one of the reason it sucks.  It also can cause a failure hold the bolt open after the last round is fired out of a mag..another reason.  You could take the dust cover off, but even then it has some other potential issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had one for years and shot the snot out of it, never had any of these issues with the dust cover and I would think bumping the weak side release would result in the same.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not the only one that has had problems with it.  If it works for you, great.  I still say it sucks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

and why would you remove it??
View Quote
I prefer to not leave parts in a gun that cause malfunctions.  Maybe I'm just weird though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Just my experience this week: Ordered one from Aero. Workmanship looked fine. Assembled the entire lower. Placed an complete, proven up-and-running upper. Bolt would not hold back. Compared it to 4 Anderson lowers assembled and running without any problems. The PDQ catch elevation is limited, not caused by the mag, but won't rise high enough to keep the bolt from just riding over it with either empty mag or finger pressure. Contacted Aero who is sending a UPS call tag to return for inspection. The Aero I transferred everything over to (non-ambi) from a LGS has the same problem with a mil-spec bolt catch. Tried 4 other successful uppers onto it, all having the same issue. Must be me? That's for another post....
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why is this the best.  IIRC, it is just a release.  I find a catch way more functional than a release bc as a right hander, if I need to hold the bolt open due to a malfunction, it is much easier to hit the "ambi" catch with my right index and work the charging handle with my left hand (as usual).  The LMT MARS and the LWRC have both the release and the catch (again IIRC) and I would choose either of these over the KAC for that reason.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just my experience this week: Ordered one from Aero. Workmanship looked fine. Assembled the entire lower. Placed an complete, proven up-and-running upper. Bolt would not hold back. Compared it to 4 Anderson lowers assembled and running without any problems. The PDQ catch elevation is limited, not caused by the mag, but won't rise high enough to keep the bolt from just riding over it with either empty mag or finger pressure. Contacted Aero who is sending a UPS call tag to return for inspection. The Aero I transferred everything over to (non-ambi) from a LGS has the same problem with a mil-spec bolt catch. Tried 4 other successful uppers onto it, all having the same issue. Must be me? That's for another post....
View Quote
I had this issue with some  Pmags but no problem with GI or Lancers mags.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#37]
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-a-dac-f-lower-receiver

Rainier Arms teamed with AXTS to make a receiver similar to the billet AXTS receiver. Same function, press mag release to actuate bolt catch and simotaneously dropping the magazine....keep holding the mag release as you rack the bolt to the rear.

Might be a little more obtainable than the AXTS.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The axts/radian is definitely where it's at. By far the finest lower I've ever seen.  Machined and finished to perfection, flawless performance.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/theif01/20170221_172608_zps1yknc6my.jpg
View Quote
So much win!  I have built two AXTS forged A-DAC-F lowers with the Rainier roll mark.  Fit and finish top notch.

Hoping that Radian, (AXTS), will sell billet lowers once again.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#39]
DBL Tap - apologies  
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I also bought an ambi aero, 2 days before this post. My idea was to upgrade from my regular aero lower using a bad lever. Don't care for bad lever for similar reasons. Laying your rifle on the bad lever side (left) will cause bolt to drop unintentionally. After assembling ambi lower, I totally see the potential dust cover problems. And now possibly a lrbho problem? I'll try to shoot it this weekend and report back. I have strike industries dust cover that comes off in a snap but not sure I want to run without one seeing as I live in the desert and shoot in the dirt. . Ugh. . Guess you have to go high dollar to get what you want. Have zero issues with my POF lower but 3 times the price.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top