BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/25/2017 9:47:01 PM EDT
So I was notified a couple of days ago that I had won this raffle for this Noveske rifle. https://www.gunsforacause.org/navyseals/navalspecial/

A couple of questions:

1. Should I shoot it or not. (I'm leaning towards the not column since I have a bunch of other ARs).

2. If I wanted to display it in my house, how would I go about doing it? The rifle is roughly worth $2500 without it's pedigree. I think it would be cool to display, but for obvious reasons be safer in my safe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
personally i would NEVER shoot that rifle and display it. that is a very nice pedigree to a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool. Congadulations.

Many here will tell you to shoot it, if you don't I understand. I would.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I would atleast run one magazine through it and then clean it really well and display it. If you can swing it I'm sure you could find someone that could build secure shadow box that could be locked and could display it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool!

If you already have several ARs I would also display that sucker!  Might shoot just a magazine to see what its like and then clean and display.

Congrats dude!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I wouldn't display anything I was worried about someone stealing or a fire getting. Kinda like a truck gun.....which to me is PSA or AERO.

But I would shot it some. A couple hundred rounds won't hurt anything. It's easy to hang out here and assume all people know Noveske but I would hazard a guess most "gun guys" you know have never heard of Noveske.  Or go it a local pawn shop and ask. Not picking on Noveske, but I routinely run into that. Ruger, Remington, Browning, Colt etc have name recognition with general population.

Shot occasionally and safe it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Good for you. If it were mine I would shoot it some, then clean and display.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Wish I was as lucky as you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm just glad to see that someone actually verified that there are real winners in these giveaways......always had this feeling in the back of my mind that the winners list was rigged in some way. Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Congratulation
I assume many people will tell you to shoot it since it`s a gun.
However I feel like you prefer treating it like an art piece rather than a gun,just my two cent.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#10]
For displaying the rifle, i would choose a place first, and then go off of that for how to lock it in securely. I would also recommend storing the firing pin separately. Maby look into making or having made a nice pedestal that uses the mag well?
Or go for a 2 hook style wall mount, and run a small cable through the rail on the wall side to secure it.
Regardless, congrats on winning a cool rifle. I would take it out occasionally for a shoot, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Very cool rifle, congrats! I'd be inclined to auction it off and buy a KAC with the proceeds.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Use it for what God intended
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Holey crap man!  Thats awesome!  Cool gun and story.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm just glad to see that someone actually verified that there are real winners in these giveaways......always had this feeling in the back of my mind that the winners list was rigged in some way. Congrats!
View Quote
I've purchased a few of the raffle tickets from Guns for a Cause for various other raffles. They always announce who wins, First name, last name initial and city/state once the winner's been chosen along with the raffle ticket number. Their raffles run from $10 to $25 per ticket and they raffle off some cool stuff for some great charities.

I never thought I'd win anything, but glad the one time I've won that it was something like this. Though I didn't have any connection to the Seals, I served in the Navy for 9 1/2 years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Congratulation
I assume many people will tell you to shoot it since it`s a gun.
However I feel like you prefer treating it like an art piece rather than a gun,just my two cent.
View Quote
Thanks!

I guess I'd be fine just displaying it or holding onto it since I have plenty other ARs to shoot. Although I never plan to sell it, I also don't want to harm it's potential value.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For displaying the rifle, i would choose a place first, and then go off of that for how to lock it in securely. I would also recommend storing the firing pin separately. Maby look into making or having made a nice pedestal that uses the mag well?
Or go for a 2 hook style wall mount, and run a small cable through the rail on the wall side to secure it.
Regardless, congrats on winning a cool rifle. I would take it out occasionally for a shoot, but thats just me.
View Quote
Good advice. I had already planned on disabling it if displayed. If I do end up shooting it some, it would be on very few occasions. I have a lot of other AR rifles, so I'd be fine not shooting it. even though I never plan to sell it, I'd like to preserve it's future potential value.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Congratulations!

First, I'd mount a NXS 2.5-10x24 and zero it.

Second, I'd build (have made) a wood display cabinet with a glass framed door.  Engrave a plate to attach to the door:  Navy Special Warfare Edition Rifle #75 of 77.  An oak cabinet about the size of a discreet case with locks and mounting hardware for rifle and accessories.   I'd mount the Foundation letter in a picture frame.

You have the Ultimate Barbecue Gun!  

We can't take our toys with us, so we should enjoy them a little bit.  Shoot it to remember John and the War Fighters that never came home.  Shoot it on special occasions with close friends at 800-900-1000 yards.  
Proudly Displayed and only driven on Sundays.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#18]
wow i thought i did good winning a colt csr, congradulations!!! Shoot it.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Shoot it. If you're never going to sell it who cares if the value is diminished a bit, plus after you're gone who knows how the next owner will treat it. If you take it to the range a couple times a year the only thing that will really show any wear will be internal parts, just put a piece of tape over the deflector and where the port door cover contacts the lower to keep those areas pristine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#20]
That's amazing, congrats!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#21]
my buddy recently won a SCAR 17 in one of those online raffles, only person I've known in person to win like that. The guy next to me at a 3 gun award banquet won a FNAR, I was happy for him but a little pissed it wasn't me. Oh well.

I say shoot it. why not? good quality rifle with a nice history, and it's made to be enjoyed. I can't imagine it ever gains enough value to be worth a lot later, since it's a boutique brand and really just another AR. run it like you stole it.

put a Tacstar scope on it to piss everyone off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#22]
That is really cool that you won this rifle.

I'd leave it as is, and only take it out for special occasions.  A shadow box would be a really cool idea for sure.  A nice figured walnut to build it out of and maybe some type of padded interior with an interior like this:

ETA: I can't make this up, but it's cool how my post 7577 is used in your post about rifle 75 of 77.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd leave it as is, and only take it out for special occasions.  A shadow box would be a really cool idea for sure.  A nice figured walnut to build it out of and maybe some type of padded interior with an interior like this:
http://www.midairmusic.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Buy-Taylor-Guitar-model-114e-with-Hard-Case.jpg

ETA: I can't make this up, but it's cool how my post 7577 is used in your post about rifle 75 of 77.
View Quote
Yea, some sort of a shadow box was my thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Thats awesome, congrats
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#25]
That is a fantastic looking rifle.  Very nice.  I think I'd shoot it some and then stow it away.  I don't trust displaying it, and I'd have it ready to roll for a rainy day...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.midairmusic.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Buy-Taylor-Guitar-model-114e-with-Hard-Case.jpg

View Quote
Now that is wild!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#27]
The article says mur upper. The pics shows a standard. Hmm.

Other than that sweet deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I would bet John Noveske would tell you to shoot it!!!  Just my opinion .....
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would bet John Noveske would tell you to shoot it!!!  Just my opinion .....
View Quote
Pretty sure the Seals are shooting theirs
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Why would you shoot it?  It's just an AR, it doesn't open the magical door to Narnia.  The value is in display or resale.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Now that is wild!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that is wild!
Meant to be!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Every AR I've ever built or owned gets shot.

That one.....................................'prolly not.
Nice stick!

ETA: That one is SCREAMING for a shadow box/display case.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I understand that some ARs are nicer than others, but aside from any that might already be in their respective firearms museums, I don't think there is any AR that is worth not shooting and being put on display.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#34]
The hard asses here will tell you a gun is a gun so just shoot it like it was designed for. I personally don't get "attached" to many guns but I would most likely not shoot that. At least not much. I would treat it like a classic car. You gotta drive it a little to appreciate it.

A lot of safety police here will tell you that your gun must be bolted to the core of the earth and/or in a safe that's bolted to the core of the earth. Well my grandpa has a gun cabinet full of expensive guns with a glass window sitting in his living room since the 1950s.

It depends on however you're comfortable storing it. How's your neighborhood? Kids or non gun folks in house? Lots of guests? Home security? Shady friends? How often are you or someone else home? Have a way to lock it up when you go on vacation?

I have a gun safe but keep a few guns out of it at all times. It's a calculated risk. I can't answer this question for you but in my situation, I would buy a nice display mount for it and hang it on the wall in my gun room.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Congratulations OP, that is a beautiful win. I've never won a damn thing in my life, but I'm glad somebody won something! I would shoot it for sure just to see if I like shooting it better than my other guns. If it did not shoot any better than my others then I would hold on to it for a few years, and then consider selling it in an auction. I wouldn't be opposed to using it's parts to improve my favorite gun, since I'd never pay for Noveske parts otherwise. If it shot like a dream then I'd make it my main gun and rethink my policy of never paying more than Colt prices for AR-15 stuff.

The bottom line is that I'm not into show pieces or fancy stuff, so I'd either shoot it or sell it. Unless boutique guns really are more than just eye candy as I've always believed, I'd almost surely end up selling it. The thought would keep spinning in my head that I could get $2,500 or more for it, which would let me buy several other guns...

Worst case scenario is I'd become a gun snob like many of the rich bastards on here and never settle for lowly military/police grade weapons again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Congrats on the win.  I think you should atleast put a mag through it, as others have said.  Think of it as a tribute.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The hard asses here will tell you a gun is a gun so just shoot it like it was designed for. I personally don't get "attached" to many guns but I would most likely not shoot that. At least not much. I would treat it like a classic car. You gotta drive it a little to appreciate it.

A lot of safety police here will tell you that your gun must be bolted to the core of the earth and/or in a safe that's bolted to the core of the earth. Well my grandpa has a gun cabinet full of expensive guns with a glass window sitting in his living room since the 1950s.

It depends on however you're comfortable storing it. How's your neighborhood? Kids or non gun folks in house? Lots of guests? Home security? Shady friends? How often are you or someone else home? Have a way to lock it up when you go on vacation?

I have a gun safe but keep a few guns out of it at all times. It's a calculated risk. I can't answer this question for you but in my situation, I would buy a nice display mount for it and hang it on the wall in my gun room.
View Quote
Thanks for your opinion. If it gets shot, it will be very little. I guess since I have a bunch of other guns to shoot, and trust me, I'm the guy that shoots everything he owns some degree or another I may make an exception with this one. I'll get more enjoyment out of what it is and how I came to own it, than shooting it.

As far as displaying it, I'd display it, but lock it up in my Liberty safe when going on vacation. No kids here and in a decent neighborhood in a rural area...pretty safe.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why would you shoot it?  It's just an AR, it doesn't open the magical door to Narnia.  The value is in display or resale.
View Quote
I agree. Sell it and use the proceeds to fund something that would appreciate in value.

If it were me, I'd either buy a registered full-auto (an HK trigger pack or a M11/9 with a Lage upper comes to mind), or a really fine shotgun. You'll have more fun shooting something new than you will shooting something you've essentially got replicated in your safe.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#39]
A gun I don't shoot is worthless to me, but....you won it, so do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#40]
It's personal. You know you.

Me?  I'd display it until the novelty wore off and I saw something shiny and expensive that caught my eye. Unless you have more money than you know what to do with. Than sure, let it sit.

But I subscribe to the "put your money in things you use" newsletter.

Just me though. Think about the hobby or item you do/use almost everyday. Do you have/is it the best equipment you can have for it?  If it is then display this gun. If it's not sell the gun and put the $ towards the thing you do every or almost everyday.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd definitely shoot it, probably pretty often not just once. I wouldn't throw it in the back of my truck or mistreat it but it would definitely get used.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd probably auction it and then donate the proceeds to Fisher House or something. I personally wouldn't want a rifle like that just sitting around collecting dust.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd shoot the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'd shoot the crap out of it.
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's personal. You know you.

Me?  I'd display it until the novelty wore off and I saw something shiny and expensive that caught my eye. Unless you have more money than you know what to do with. Than sure, let it sit.

But I subscribe to the "put your money in things you use" newsletter.

Just me though. Think about the hobby or item you do/use almost everyday. Do you have/is it the best equipment you can have for it?  If it is then display this gun. If it's not sell the gun and put the $ towards the thing you do every or almost everyday.
View Quote
I pretty much have most of all the firearms on my list and then some. If my collection wasn't meeting my needs, then maybe I'd consider selling. If it was my only AR type rifle, then I'd most likely have to shoot it some or sell for something I'd use more regularly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Shoot it or sell it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Very cool rifle. I did notice one odd thing. The raffle description says John Noveske died before the design went into production, but his name is on the certificate of authenticity next to a signature that looks like it says John Noveske. The certificate dates the rifle's manufacture to about a year after Noveske died. I wonder what the  explanation is for that.

I would have to shoot that rifle if I had it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Shoot it or sell it.
View Quote
Nope. Keep it in a very secure shadow box.

Congratulations OP. that is one sweet Noveske.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Personally, I would part it out.  Surely not the most popular opinion.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#50]
That is badass. I personally wouldn't shoot it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top