Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2017 9:45:36 AM EDT
I have a small complaint about the screw used to secure the buffer tube, the slot is too shallow.  The slot is about 1/16" deep.  Every one of the A2 stocks I have worked on has this same screw problem and I had to use a broken screw removal tool on them.  So far I've run into this on a A10 and six AR15 stocks.  Has anyone else run into this?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had this happen a few times. Shallow slot coupled with Loctite on threads = headache. A quality screwdriver helps as does putting rifle muzzle down ( into a carpet) and using your weight to ooch it out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
^
One of my biggest wrenching achievements was learning the differences a properly sized driver makes. You cannot use the same screwdriver for every screw.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Even with the proper sized screwdriver and bracing, the locktite or whatever it is is too much.  After messing up the slot on a couple of the stocks I gave up and started using the extraction tool.  Thought about using heat but couldn't figure out how to apply it without damaging the stock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Impact Driver? Anyone replace these with button head screws?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Odd. I've never had a problem. I've used PSA and JSE screws.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The main problem I have is arthritis in my hands.  My grip isn't what it used to be and when I try to hold a flat blade screwdriver in a shallow slot things don't always work out like they should.  I try to replace slotted screws with hex head screws when ever I remove them.  Getting old causes problems and finding solutions can be easy or difficult sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Some have the hole some don't. For drainage. If weapon gets submerged just hold it muzzle down.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I've tried screws with and without holes and don't notice any difference in operation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Why would DPMS use a screw with a shallow slot and a thread locker.  Everything else is easy to work on, so why is this one different?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would DPMS use a screw with a shallow slot and a thread locker.  Everything else is easy to work on, so why is this one different?
View Quote
I have to ask, what kind of stock is this? Do you have a link or a picture?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]
All three of the stocks are A2's and were on DPMS lowers that I bought from Cheaper Than Dirt a few years ago.  When I decided to put collapsible stocks on them is when I ran into the screw with the shallow slot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a small complaint about the screw used to secure the buffer tube, the slot is too shallow.  The slot is about 1/16" deep.  Every one of the A2 stocks I have worked on has this same screw problem and I had to use a broken screw removal tool on them.  So far I've run into this on a A10 and six AR15 stocks.  Has anyone else run into this?
View Quote

You need to use the correct screwdriver. Us a hollow ground gunsmith screwdriver. It has much more contact to the sides of the screw slot and resists camming out and damaging the screw head. Here is an illustration of what a hollow ground blade profile looks like. Buy a decent set from Brownells and it will give good service for a lifetime of stock removals.

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:02:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Would you consider Grace gunsmith screwdrivers the proper tool?  The problem wasn't using the wrong tool, it was the depth of the slot.  I bought the lowers from the same place and the same time, so maybe the screws were only used for a small batch of lowers.  The slot was slightly less than 1/16" deep.  

I was wrong about the A10 stock, no shallow slot on that one.

I solved the problem with the extraction tool and my reason for posting was to ask if anyone had ever run into these screws.  Every replacement screw I've found has a deeper slot so hopefully I never see another one of those screws.    

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#15]
No, I but use a hollow ground tip that is the proper width and thickness not a standard tapered tip screwdriver.
The factory screws come with a dab of threadlocker that is like a soft plastic.
These screws coming loose was a constant problem with the M16A1’s even with the threadlocker.
Do not use regular loctight.
With all the sources these days it would not be surprised at finding one with a shallow slot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top