Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2017 3:44:00 PM EDT
How do I stop loaded magazines from rattling?  
I was carrying a spare 10 round P Mag while hunting hogs on Saturday and it was constantly rattling.  I tried to down load the spare magazine to 9 and then 8 rounds and it still rattled.  The magazine in the rifle was down loaded to 6+1 and it stopped rattling.  My 20 round GI mag with plinking ammo in the pack constantly rattled.  Most of my 30 round GI mags rattle when loaded to more than bout 26 or 27 rounds.
How do I stop this rattling mags?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
First step is to figure out what is rattling.  None of mine rattle.  If you're only seeing it with your mags loaded to capacity, you've probably just got rounds that aren't dropping into their staggered position - although there may be other things at play as well.  

Have you tried to carefully hand load the mags?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Loaded mags shouldn't rattle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I just pulled out my loaded pmag right now and it rattles. Even with the dustcover/feed lips protector. I think its normal. It may or may not rattle. It may be because rounds vibrate ever so slightly when shook in a loaded mag but with 30 rounds loaded those small vibrations combine and make a noise.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Some if my mags rattle some don't. Not just ar mags. M&P too.

The factory M&P mags don't. Some of the aftermarket mags do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not unheard of for 2stack magazines to rattle, especially pistols. Sometimes you can smack the bottom of the magazine to stop it. Sometimes if you'll reseat the spring that might do it. Perhaps a Wolff spring. https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=2&mID=1&dID=79#493
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Usually when I have a mag that rattles I slap the back of the mag seating all the rounds to the back of the mag a few times and the rattle goes away.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not the mag that's rattling it's the rounds inside of it and it's common. Rounds aren't always perfect cylinders so when they're stacked you end up some rounds having the ability to pivot. They pivot side to side and hit other rounds and the mag wall.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
loaded mags do not rattle p mags do not rattlemaybe you had the mag and your knife or keys in the same pocket.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
My guess is the "rattle" you hear is the play between the upper/lower. It's probably more pronounced when there's a heavier mag in there.

It could also be your butt stock. Some are more loose than others and simply have some play to it on the buffer.

Edit: Sorry misunderstood you. No, magazines should not rattle in a pack. Chances are you got something inside the pack that you are not aware of.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I hold the mag with my index and fuck finger wrapped over the top holding the top round down and tap the bottom of the mag on my other hand a few times.  Usually the rounds settle and no more rattle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Sometimes mags rattle sometimes they don't. Open bolt, closed bolt, in-magwell, out-of-magwell. (as previously mentioned) A quick tap usually settles the rounds and stops it.  Sometimes downloading a rnd or two was needed. USGI(colt), Lancer, Magpul gen II. my P226 mags do it off and on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Point the rifle in a safe direction and squeeze the trigger until the magazine is empty....No more rattle!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top