Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2017 9:40:15 AM EDT
I'm having accuracy issues with a 14.5" BCM upper with a chrome-lined 1/7 in 5.56 and a RIS II. It's four years old and has maybe 3-4000 rounds through it. It has been sitting idle for over a year until I picked up a new scope and I was going to put it back in rotation. The problem I'm having is I can't get it to group.

So far I have tried:
Cleaning the bore
Different scopes and mounts
Irons
Different ammo (everything from 55-85 grain)
Vises, sandbags, bi-pods, even un-supported
Different triggers (Geiselle, MBT, and mil-spec)

The best I have been able to group is roughly 3 MOA. The only other thing I can think to check is the torque on the barrel nut. Anything else I'm forgetting?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I know you gave a general idea of what ammo that you used, but can you list what you specifically used? Even the brand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you checked most of the likely culprits so, not sure what more you can do other than checking the barrel nut. I went through the same exact thing with one of my rifles and it turned out to be the barrel nut being loose. I swapped a rail and it ran fine for a few hundred rounds but, ended up working it's way loose over time.

Have you cleaned the bore thoroughly yet? Also, there have been a few reports regarding BCM and expected accuracy versus expectations. I know there was a thread not too long ago where a member was getting similar results from one of his.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of groups did it produce before you shelved it for a year?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know you gave a general idea of what ammo that you used, but can you list what you specifically used? Even the brand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

PMC X-TAC (55gr) - best grouping
Federal XM855 (62gr)
CBC (mk262 clone) - 77gr
IMI RazorCore (77gr)
Blackhills - 77gr (OTM and TMK); 62gr TSX, 50gr TSX
Barnes Precision Match - 85 gr
Hornady - 55 and 62 gr

Quoted:
Have you cleaned the bore thoroughly yet? Also, there have been a few reports regarding BCM and expected accuracy versus expectations. I know there was a thread not too long ago where a member was getting similar results from one of his.

Bore has been thoroughly cleaned. Used both a brush and Hoppes 9 bore clearer until I got a clean patch.

Quoted:
What kind of groups did it produce before you shelved it for a year?

I never logged groups for this upper/barrel. In hindsight this should have been done. It's life up until recently was just an eotech and mostly used on steel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#5]
How is your shooting condition and setup?
Did you use a shooting sled/rest with a sturdy table w/ your arms/elbows resting on table?
What magnification is the scope?

If so, you should be definitely check the barrel nut since you said you already checked everything else including the optic mounts.
With so many ammo selections that you already tried... you should be at least be getting ~2MOA, especially the CBC 77 OTM and BH 77 OTM
From my experience those are capable of consistent 1.25MOA 10rd groups at 100 yards and about 1.5MOA 10rd groups at 200 yards, using my KAC Mod1 w/ its LW CL CHF 16" barrel
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did you use a shooting sled/rest with a sturdy table w/ your arms/elbows resting on table?

Multiple scopes were used: Trijicon Accupower 1-4x (AP mount), Accupoint 2.5-10x (Larue mount), Nightforce 5-25x (Larue mount)
KAC irons were also used

Shots were taken from:
Bench (bagged front and rear; vise; bipod front, bagged rear)
Prone (bagged front and rear; bipod front/bagged rear)
Standing un-supported

If so, you should be definitely check the barrel nut since you said you already checked everything else including the optic mounts.
With so many ammo selections that you already tried... you should be at least be getting ~2MOA, especially the CBC 77 OTM and BH 77 OTM
From my experience those are capable of consistent 1.25MOA 10rd groups at 100 yards and about 1.5MOA 10rd groups at 200 yards, using my KAC Mod1 w/ its LW CL CHF 16" barrel

Agreed with you on the ammo (albeit 5 shot groupings).
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

PMC X-TAC (55gr) - best grouping
Federal XM855 (62gr)
CBC (mk262 clone) - 77gr
IMI RazorCore (77gr)
Blackhills - 77gr (OTM and TMK); 62gr TSX, 50gr TSX
Barnes Precision Match - 85 gr
Hornady - 55 and 62 gr

Bore has been thoroughly cleaned. Used both a brush and Hoppes 9 bore clearer until I got a clean patch.
View Quote
That is not thoroughly cleaned. Hoppes#9 doesn't remove copper. You are about 3k rounds over due for copper cleaning.

Not that that is guaranteed to help but...

I assume you have a muzzle device, have you removed it to clean carbon build up from the crown?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is not thoroughly cleaned. Hoppes#9 doesn't remove copper. You are about 3k rounds over due for copper cleaning.

Not that that is guaranteed to help but...

I assume you have a muzzle device, have you removed it to clean carbon build up from the crown?
View Quote

Pinned and welded.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pinned and welded.
View Quote
Well that doesn't help. Who knows what that did to the bore. If carbon builds up around the crown and chunks break off it may simulate a damaged crown. 

I use Hoppes Elite Copper Terminator, to clean my precision barrels of copper fouling. I would suggest you look for something similar. Then maybe try to see if the crown is clean and free of carbon build up. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well that doesn't help. Who knows what that did to the bore. If carbon builds up around the crown and chunks break off it may simulate a damaged crown. 

I use Hoppes Elite Copper Terminator, to clean my precision barrels of copper fouling. I would suggest you look for something similar. Then maybe try to see if the crown is clean and free of carbon build up. 
View Quote

I've been using Hoppes Bench Rest 9 Copper Gun Bore Cleaner. I ordered some sweets 7.62 solvent to give that a try as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]
It might not be related to OP's problem with accuracy, but my most shot rifles, both are the KAC Mod1, are still accurate after multiple thousands of rounds w/o cleaning or lube.
I only cleaned them twice or maybe three times through their 12.5k and 13.6k round count.
Like OP, I've only used Hoppe's 9 for the barrel, and I use bore snake with patches.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Multiple scopes were used: Trijicon Accupower 1-4x (AP mount), Accupoint 2.5-10x (Larue mount), Nightforce 5-25x (Larue mount)
KAC irons were also used

Shots were taken from:
Bench (bagged front and rear; vise; bipod front, bagged rear)
Prone (bagged front and rear; bipod front/bagged rear)
Standing un-supported

Agreed with you on the ammo (albeit 5 shot groupings).

Well, seems like you really did tried almost everything....
I guess, as you posted in your OP, check the barrel nut tightness.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The barrel needs Butch's Bore Shine or Barnes C-10.  Those are good copper removers.

Apparently we don't have a base line on accuracy from before it was put away.

It is fairly well-known that 1:7 twist BCM chrome lined barrels are great for durability in a fighting rifle, but have never been considered to be MOA or close to MOA capable.   Most seem to shoot about 2 to 2.5 MOA, about what you might expect with M855 or M193, and don't seem to do much better with more accurate ammo.  It's a battle rifle barrel.  A good one for that purpose, but that may be all it's going to do.  Just enjoy it for what it is.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Its a clone of a mil-spec barrel with 4k rounds on it....I don't personally think anything is wrong. I think that's just how it groups.

I've been through a few BCM SOCOM barrels and they all grouped 2-3 MOA. My Colt SOCOM barrels group 1-2 MOA. Both of which are acceptable for what the barrel is intended to do. Its a combat barrel, not made for precision
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#15]
It's definitely the barrel nut. If you grab the rail in one hand and apply pressure to muzzle with the other the barrel actually moves inside the handguard.

I've never had a barrel nut "back" off before. How often do you guys check the torque on your barrel nuts??
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Remove the rail and check the torque on the nut. All barrels flex a little. How much distance does the barrel travel when you put pressure on it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Remove the rail and check the torque on the nut. All barrels flex a little. How much distance does the barrel travel when you put pressure on it?
View Quote

I had to borrow a wrench from a co-worker so I haven't checked the torque yet. The barrel moves 1/4-1/2" when you put pressure on it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy shit, 1/4"-1/2" !? ... that is a lot of movement
My LW 16" moves 1/16" ~ 3/32" at the muzzle end if I really put some pressure on it.

Torque it to the right spec, and try to do shoot some groups with it.

I've never experience a loose barrel nut before.
Most of my AR are KAC, which has a different system and apparently they put blue loctite on the threads.
Also have 3 Colts and 1 PSA, no issues.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had to borrow a wrench from a co-worker so I haven't checked the torque yet. The barrel moves 1/4-1/2" when you put pressure on it.
View Quote
 Are you sure it's all barrel flex and you aren't flexing the rail along with it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Who installed the rail? Was it from BCM with the ris or installed later? BCM is not exactly known for loose or under-torqued barrel nuts, usually they are ape tight. Yours may be loose, but that may just be what that specific barrel is capable of. 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I had to send my BCM back.  From the bench with a Caldwell lead sled I was getting 5 inch groups at 100 yards.  I tried sand bags, wood, arm, two different shooters...nothing.  This rifle is free floated with a MI rail straight from BCM.  It took me forever to get in touch with BCM, I was not happy.  They would not return calls and it took a few emails and two weeks to finally get it sent back.  I told them it was either crown damage or over torqued barrel nut.

After a few weeks of them having the rifle I emailed and was told the rifle was fixed and it was on its way back.  I asked what was fixed and never heard back.  It is going to be hard for me to purchase from them again.  

Hope you have better results.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
 Are you sure it's all barrel flex and you aren't flexing the rail along with it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Barrel flex, rail is solid.

Quoted:
Who installed the rail? Was it from BCM with the ris or installed later? BCM is not exactly known for loose or under-torqued barrel nuts, usually they are ape tight. Yours may be loose, but that may just be what that specific barrel is capable of. 

BCM assembled the upper.

Quoted:
I had to send my BCM back.....<snip> Hope you have better results.

Well, I broke the rail down and checked the torque on the barrel nut... DD says to torque to 50#, which I tried and it didn't move. Looks like the barrel nut wasn't the problem after all. When you apply a lateral force on the barrel you can actually see the barrel extension moving inside the upper receiver. Looks like I'm going to have to pull everything and shim it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#23]
To get completely off topic... What kind of accuracy should I expect out of this barrel? Being that I'm completely stripping this down I would hate to waste my time assembling all of it back together only to be disappointed again.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To get completely off topic... What kind of accuracy should I expect out of this barrel? Being that I'm completely stripping this down I would hate to waste my time assembling all of it back together only to disappointed again.
View Quote

Most people are reporting 2-2.5 MOA with BCM barrels
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
To get completely off topic... What kind of accuracy should I expect out of this barrel? Being that I'm completely stripping this down I would hate to waste my time assembling all of it back together only to disappointed again.
View Quote

Around 1.5 with match ammo I'd guess.  I've seen a few people get really lucky but it isn't the norm.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top