BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2017 10:17:37 AM EDT
Always researching and learning about AR15 stuff.   Read about Hydra-Fire & POF cam pins.  Then I was thinking, why not just round off the corners of the standard cam pin?  Anyone done this?  Your thoughts?

mm
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Grind is a harsh term, but yeah... I do it.

I also polish the offending areas around the gas key using the same tool (Dremel).
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grind is a harsh term, but yeah... I do it.

I also polish the offending areas around the gas key using the same tool (Dremel).
View Quote

Just use a hand stone to round off the sharp corners.

Then re-Parkerize.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Because it will not accomplish the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
$17.00 Isn't bad. . .

V7 Cam Pin
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Your thoughts?
View Quote

its a waste of time
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#7]

" If it ain't broke, . . . dick with it til it is "

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If you really want to waste money there's this.

POF Roller Cam Pin
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

" If it ain't broke, . . . dick with it til it is "
View Quote

......and there you have it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
There is nothing wrong with standard cam pins. In Eugene Stoner I trust.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is nothing wrong with standard cam pins. In Eugene Stoner I trust.
View Quote

Trusting Stoner is one thing, trusting the fifty or sixty different people that make cam pins is another thing entirely.

Some cam pins have sharp corners that will quickly eat through your anodizing...

The original design was a very large radius to minimize wear in the upper.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Trusting Stoner is one thing, trusting the fifty or sixty different people that make cam pins is another thing entirely.

Some cam pins have sharp corners that will quickly eat through your anodizing...

http://cdn3.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/Cam%20Pin%20AR15-2.jpg?1456827038

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/AR10er/ar10bcg.jpg
View Quote

Is that an old Dutch AR10 bolt/carrier ?

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#13]
In this thread, we find out who shoots their guns... and who grinds their cam pin so they don't scratch their anodizing....
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Just shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In this thread, we find out who shoots their guns... and who grinds their cam pin so they don't scratch their anodizing....
View Quote

I didn't know the two were mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/Cam%20Pin%20AR15-2.jpg?1456827038

View Quote

Steel on an anodized aluminum surface is going to wear no matter what if there's movement.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you really want to waste money there's this.

POF Roller Cam Pin
View Quote

Actually, the roller cams pins are better suited for the gas piston bolt carriers.

I used them for my TD415 upper and AA piston kits.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Actually, the roller cams pins are better suited for the gas piston bolt carriers.

I used them for my TD415 upper and AA piston kits.
View Quote

Why are they better suited for anything?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because, in order to use the POF cam pin. The gas key needs to be removed and reinstalled afterwards. This is why I said it is better for the gas piston bolt carrier.

Now, the other roller cam pin that is on the market is a three piece unit that can be broken down for easier removal.  I don't own that brand. I got the POF units.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Because, in order to use the POF cam pin. The gas key needs to be removed and reinstalled afterwards. This is why I said it is better for the gas piston bolt carrier.

Now, the other roller cam pin that is on the market is a three piece unit that can be broken down for easier removal.  I don't own that brand. I got the POF units.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're missing the point of my question so I'll ask you again. Why are they better suited for anything?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're missing the point of my question so I'll ask you again. Why are they better suited for anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not missed the point. I mentioned why the POF cam pin is better suited for the piston because of the removal process for the gas key. If you want to take apart the bolt after installing the POF cam pin, you need to remove the gas key again to take apart the bolt itself.

Now the other roller cam pin that I mentioned is out on the market and I do not remember the company name. It is a three piece unit that can be removed and installed into a normal bgc. It is similar to the POF concept and I believe it is either the same price or cheaper.

If you want a roller cam unit, I would go with this one.

The good thing about the roller cam is that it is easier to me to move the charging handle. The roller cam does make the bcg movement much smoother. But that is just me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#22]
You say it's smoother but how would you ever feel it? The only time it has any pressure against it is when the bolt is stripping an round out of the magazine. During the unlocking, extraction, and ejection portion of the stroke there isn't any pressure against it because it's rotated away from the receiver interior. If the rifle is unloaded it has no pressure against it.

Help me understand why anyone would spend money for this feature?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

yes and all "correct" uppers have this, and if they do, the corner on the cam pin does not matter
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I didn't know the two were mutually exclusive.
View Quote

on a in spec up they will be
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

no need to understand, its a waste
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

yes and all "correct" uppers have this, and if they do, the corner on the cam pin does not matter
View Quote

That is  BCM cam pin.  One just like it wore a nice groove in the upper after a few thousand rounds.

After stoning the leading corners to a slight radius, about .020", and replacing the upper, no wear.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is  BCM cam pin.  One just like it wore a nice groove in the upper after a few thousand rounds.

After stoning the leading corners to a slight radius, about .020", and replacing the upper, no wear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember a few years back Dano (moderator from the troubleshooting forum) made a really good point on this subject that for some reason stuck with me. After you can already see the wear in the receiver, it wouldn't make any sense to smooth out the cam pin because the cam pin already made its path in the receiver.

I guess I could see it on a new build tho maybe. Its not something I worry about personally tho as I'm not the type to worry about scratched up anodizing
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#28]
When it goes through the anodizing, you be a little concerned....

Anodized aluminum is has hard and almost as wear resistant as good steel, bare aluminum is soft.  And, since the cam pin is being pushed to the left during feeding by the cam path, the groove in the upper will only get deeper.  After a point the bolt lugs will start to hit the lugs on the extension.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Anodized aluminum is has hard and almost as wear resistant as good steel, bare aluminum is soft.  And, since the cam pin is being pushed to the left during feeding by the cam path, the groove in the upper will only get deeper.  After a point the bolt lugs will start to hit the lugs on the extension.
View Quote

You don't think the rails on the bolt carrier and receiver as well as the cam path in the carrier itself would keep the cam pin from cutting further and further left over time? I haven't inspected it this close but just picturing it in my head I would think the carrier/receiver rails as well as the cam path cut in the carrier itself would limit the deeper and deeper cutting
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#30]
If the cam groove in the carrier moves the pin in such a way that the head of the pin runs into the upper, after a bit of wear, that should stop.  There isn't a lot of "slop" in the carrier's camway, and it should remain very consistent in exactly where the cam pin head goes.

Then there's the cost aspect.  A stripped, forged upper can be had for less than $50, or around $65 if you're picky about brands.  A complete BCG costs anywhere from $90-$180 (again depending on whether you're picky about brands).  IF the wear in the upper gets to a point where the weapon fails to function, it's a $65 fix.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You say it's smoother but how would you ever feel it? The only time it has any pressure against it is when the bolt is stripping an round out of the magazine. During the unlocking, extraction, and ejection portion of the stroke there isn't any pressure against it because it's rotated away from the receiver interior. If the rifle is unloaded it has no pressure against it.

View Quote

The smoothness that I feel is when I pull on the charging handle slowly.  The resistance that the cam makes turning the pivot area in the BCG is noticeable when I pull on the charging handle.  I put the POF roller cam in one gas piston BCG and I can feel a difference once it is installed.  The main reason why I got this is for my TD-415 upper.  Before I fired the TD-415 upper, I got a strange bolt lockup that was not making any sense when I was checking the upper for any problems after I got it.  So, on advice from another member in Piston forum.  I drop a POF roller cam and the problem pretty much has disappeared.  So, all my AA GP builds that I had done I installed the POF roller cam both for curiosity and to see how much a difference it makes when do all the abuse I can image on a GP rifle.

I am going to say if it is going to work for all person. No, it is pretty much there to help with the life span of the parts of a TD-415 built upper which is an out of production kit.  That's why I went this route.

This is the other company website for the another roller cam pin. Hydra Fire
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The smoothness that I feel is when I pull on the charging handle slowly.  The resistance that the cam makes turning the pivot area in the BCG is noticeable when I pull on the charging handle.  I put the POF roller cam in one gas piston BCG and I can feel a difference once it is installed.  The main reason why I got this is for my TD-415 upper.  Before I fired the TD-415 upper, I got a strange bolt lockup that was not making any sense when I was checking the upper for any problems after I got it.  So, on advice from another member in Piston forum.  I drop a POF roller cam and the problem pretty much has disappeared.  So, all my AA GP builds that I had done I installed the POF roller cam both for curiosity and to see how much a difference it makes when do all the abuse I can image on a GP rifle.

I am going to say if it is going to work for all person. No, it is pretty much there to help with the life span of the parts of a TD-415 built upper which is an out of production kit.  That's why I went this route.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cam pin has nothing to do with the bolt rotating while you retract it by hand. The cam pin head doesn't even touch the receiver while you are retracting it. Bolt rotation during the unlocking and extraction phase is accomplished by the cam cut in the bcg, not the receiver cutout. So if it isn't even touching how can it make this feel smoother?

The cam pin head only contacts the receiver wall during the loading phase. Pull the handle back and let it fly. You'll never feel the effect of that silly bearing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dutch AR-10s were beasts of their own.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

And that takes something like 300-400,000 rounds as we learned in the battlefield vegas thread.

Even then the cam path was fine, now the carrier rail ways....Those were so toast the carrier no longer put the bolt lugs into the extension.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know about rounding the corners but I have the POF roller pins in three of my rifles and that addition did smooth them out. If your gun is a piston- you can probably drop one right in. On my Wilson- I had to grind the stakes out but the kit came with a new key (the key came relieved for future removal) and bolts. I have one in a Ruger 762 that's got over 1k through it and the inside of the upper is barely marked. For the money involved- I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#36]
As mentioned, any wear stops to a point, also taking a small amount of anodizing(depending on tolerances).

It's a non issue. Just shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

It doesn't fucking matter.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The cam pin has nothing to do with the bolt rotating while you retract it by hand. The cam pin head doesn't even touch the receiver while you are retracting it. Bolt rotation during the unlocking and extraction phase is accomplished by the cam cut in the bcg, not the receiver cutout. So if it isn't even touching how can it make this feel smoother?

The cam pin head only contacts the receiver wall during the loading phase. Pull the handle back and let it fly. You'll never feel the effect of that silly bearing.
View Quote

I am going to make the easy.  The only time I have seen a strange problem like this is on one specific type of upper: the TD-415.  I asked for help on the piston forum and another guy that encounter the same problem on his TD-415 and offer his solution.  That solution worked at the time was the POF roller cam pin. I believe POF was the only company had built something for their own GP BCG and piston rifles.  This was just a simple low cost solution for a strange problem than wasn't making conventional sense in pinpointing the problem.  The reason why I stated that the POF roller cam is better suited for a GP BCG because there is nothing blocking the removal of the roller cam pin.  On a standard BCG with the gas key in place, you are not going to be able to install or remove the POF roller cam without removing the gas key and screws.  This is why I stated that the POF roller cam is better to be used on a GP BCG.  Plus, POF has this warning in their instructions for their roller cam for use on a standard BCG.  Because the POF is finished in NP3. I believe this helps with the smoothness of the roller cam pin during the cycling operations.

Going back to the Hydra-Fire cam pin.  I do not have any experience with this product.  The only thing I do like about it is that it is able to be installed on a regular BCG without any mods to the existing BCG.  Does this means I am going to buy one right way?  No, I do not have a need yet for such a thing on my standard BCGs.  If I was going to buy one, it is just going to be for my testing and to see how well it holds up.  Since I'm not planning to build anymore projects in the near future, this option is going to be in the back burner of my mind.

Feel free to IM or email me if you got any more questions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#39]
The POF and the Hydra-Fire address different points of friction. Are either needed? No. But both of these products do reduce friction, just at different points. Now, I do shoot my guns and I don't round off cam pins. But I have installed several POF roller cam pins and one Hydra-Fire cam pin. Once again neither is required in an AR15. The POF works better in piston guns because in my experience the wear inside the receiver is worse in a piston system than in DI. The POF product specifically reduces friction between the head of the cam pin and inside of the receiver. If there is any contact during cycling then this will reduce friction at this point. The Hydra-Fire does NOT address the wear between the cam pin and upper receiver wall directly except in that the head is rounded, but the head is fixed. The Hydra-Fire is designed to reduce friction between the cam pin and the slot in the bolt carrier. Generally less friction is a good thing, but this does take one part and turn it into 3 parts. So it adds complexity. So far I have about 4,000 rounds on the Hydra-Fire with no issues. I'll run it in most of my AR test platforms until it breaks, and report on it with a brief video at about 10,000 rounds.
Here is my video comparison of the two products if you want to check it out.
https://youtu.be/llOnufQ1zrY
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Thank you for the very informative video. I just bought one of LWRCI's di gun and installed a POF roller in it. It was possible due to heir use of a seperate tube for the "snout" of the gas key. It's threaded and pinned in place but removal is simple enough. I enjoyed your comparison of the available options. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#41]
wait until you guys see the gouge in my LWRC M6A3 upper. i have about 6000 rounds through this upper and the trench that little bugger dug is just WOW!

and best of all, it still works. upper had been 100% reliable all its life.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#42]
sorry for the shit iphone pics....

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#43]
The left side of the cam pin channel carries the load. The right side does very little. The area that takes a beating is the very entrance of the cam pin into the channel when unlocking. Any slight misalignment and the corner of the pin pounds against that area. After it takes a set. it usually stops. Bolts rotate 22 1/2 degrees in the carrier. The lugs actually disengage the extension at 21 1/2 to 21 3/4 degrees. The cam pin is not exactly in alignment with the channel, and bumps itself into alignment. Piston rifles are a little worse here because the movement of the carrier is not as positive as the DI gas extension. Even DI wears a little. I machine a 45 degree angle on the corner of the cam pin, and a corresponding entrance angle in the cam channel in the upper. It stops about 80 percent of the beating, but there is still some. On piston rifles, some use a spring in the carrier to help completely extend the bolt. It helps some. Regardless, you will get some wear no matter what. I do not care for roller pins. I have seen them come apart. The wear is more cosmetic than anything else.Most shoot their rifles and never even notice it.When someone finally does, they think their rifle is failing. When you tell them it is normal and not to worry about it, some think you are an idiot. Craig
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Rounded cam pins. Huh. Sometimes I feel like I'm behind the times....And I'm perfectly happy with that.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Not using piston guns, not over gassing guns, and using uppers with the proper material; should make it a non-issue.

Travis Haley mentioned having 40k rounds on one of his barrels. Thinking it has been on that gun the whole time. He didn't go into details but sounded like it, and didn't speak to anything breaking or wearing hard.

It'll work dirty, but clean it when you can to avoid extra wear. Good oil, no WD-40, etc.

I'd have to look but I'd think rounding off the corner would change the cam path. I'd avoid doing that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not using piston guns, not over gassing guns, and using uppers with the proper material; should make it a non-issue.

Travis Haley mentioned having 40k rounds on one of his barrels. Thinking it has been on that gun the whole time. He didn't go into details but sounded like it, and didn't speak to anything breaking or wearing hard.

It'll work dirty, but clean it when you can to avoid extra wear. Good oil, no WD-40, etc.

I'd have to look but I'd think rounding off the corner would change the cam path. I'd avoid doing that.
View Quote

40k on a barrel? thats just too much fun!  did he say how it grouped at that point? what brand it was?

guessing the gas port and throat erosion was pretty bad. would like to see that barrel dissected.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I talk of putting a slight radius on the head of the cam pin I am talking of a small radius, 0.015 to .020 not much more that this:

As opposed to this:

It will not change the cam path, that's controlled solely by the carrier slot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#48]
This was another short, but enjoyable example of people worrying about bolt carrier wear as if they were about to blaze 10k rounds every 6 months or something. In reality, they will just take pics of their gun and put it away. Tier 1 cam pins can suck my butt.

There is no attainable advantage to rounding off the corners of the pin that isn't aesthetic, and the part of the carrier and upper that wears is on the INSIDE of the receiver so you can't see it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#49]
the cam pin wear on the receiver.  Why haven't they redesigned the receivers to have this wear pattern?

Just sayin'...
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Just shoot it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top